The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Occasional CTD while loading characters, how to fix?

Tesman85
Tesman85
✭✭✭✭
Lately I've run into an annoying issue: Sometimes, after starting the game and while loading a character, the game crashes to desktop. It has happened both in the character loading screen while still showing the "requesting character load"-message (or however the exact wording is), and during the following load screen. There is no error message, the game just shuts itself down. This has happened with three or four of my ten characters, so seemingly the problem isn't about any particular character. This seems to happen about one time out of ten, and only right after starting the game. When I have switched characters after playing one for some time, like when doing writs, there haven't been crashes. I'd be grateful if someone could point to a solution since this a bit annoying, if not particularly severe.
Edited by ZOS_Bill on June 6, 2022 5:19PM
  • starlizard70ub17_ESO
    starlizard70ub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Same thing happens to me once, maybe twice a week. And the game always crashes loading the character when I first start the game. After that I restart ESO and no problems until a dozen or so logins later. I've no explanation for the crashes either, just wanted to let you know you're not alone.
    "We have found a cave, but I don't think there are warm fires and friendly faces inside."
  • NeeScrolls
    NeeScrolls
    ✭✭✭✭
    Tesman85 wrote: »
    Lately I've run into an annoying issue: Sometimes, after starting the game and while loading a character, the game crashes to desktop. .
    Same thing happens to me once, maybe twice a week. And the game always crashes loading the character when I first start the game. After that I restart ESO and no problems until a dozen or so logins later. .
    hi there, any chance either of you (when you have time) could answer the following details/questions to better help with your issue:
    1. Are you playing on PC or console? ( i'm assuming PC since one of you said "to desktop" )
    2. Are you using any game 'mods' or 'add-ons' ? (and if so, which ones? )
    3. Which OS (operating system) does your computer utilize?
    4. Which video-card 'driver' does your computer currently run with?
    5. Have you tried searching/asking in the 'PC Support' forum section yet? --> https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pc-technical-support .... To see if anyone else has similar computer specs as your PC, with similar circumstances.
    6. Are you able to provide your 'dxdiag' ?
    7. Are you running any 'anti-virus' programs?
    8. Are you in the habit of totally restarting the ESO game client & launcher? Or do you leave the launcher open/running a lot, even after exiting/quitting the GAME itself?
    9. Have you ever tried using the 'repair' option on the ESO launcher yet?
    10. Have you ever seen any type of 'crash log' afterwards?

• Tesman85
    Tesman85
    ✭✭✭✭
    NeeScrolls wrote: »
    Lately I've run into an annoying issue: Sometimes, after starting the game and while loading a character, the game crashes to desktop. .
    Same thing happens to me once, maybe twice a week. And the game always crashes loading the character when I first start the game. After that I restart ESO and no problems until a dozen or so logins later. .
    hi there, any chance either of you (when you have time) could answer the following details/questions to better help with your issue:
    1. Are you playing on PC or console? ( i'm assuming PC since one of you said "to desktop" )
    2. Are you using any game 'mods' or 'add-ons' ? (and if so, which ones? )
    3. Which OS (operating system) does your computer utilize?
    4. Which video-card 'driver' does your computer currently run with?
    5. Have you tried searching/asking in the 'PC Support' forum section yet? --> https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pc-technical-support .... To see if anyone else has similar computer specs as your PC, with similar circumstances.
    6. Are you able to provide your 'dxdiag' ?
    7. Are you running any 'anti-virus' programs?
    8. Are you in the habit of totally restarting the ESO game client & launcher? Or do you leave the launcher open/running a lot, even after exiting/quitting the GAME itself?
    9. Have you ever tried using the 'repair' option on the ESO launcher yet?
    10. Have you ever seen any type of 'crash log' afterwards?

@NeeScrolls

1. Yes, PC.
    2. The add-ons I use: Custom Compass Pins, Daily Alchemy, Daily Provisioning, Lazy Set Crafter, Lazy Writ Crafter, Harvest Map, Lost Treasure, Lovely Emotes, Skyshards (that which adds them to the map), Tamriel Trade Centre, Trait Buddy. I doubt, however, that the issue is about add-ons since I've always used these and I noticed the CTD problem only a month ago when returning to the game after some months. Of course, I have installed up-to-date versions of the mentioned add-ons.
    3. Windows 10.
    4. Nvidia GTX 1060 3 Gb, driver version 30.0.14.9709. I installed the latest driver version to try and resolve the CTD problem. It seemed to fix another problem I had (occasional black screen freezes), but not this one.
    5. Hmm, that forum section escaped my notice, it seems. I only saw the bug forum and hence posted this here.
    6. Too long to post here in its entirety and besides, it's largely in my mother tongue which is not English. But here's a part ("problem signature" in English?) that was repeated a few times in the last part:
    P1: eso64.exe
    P2: 1.0.0.1
    P3: 61b17f7c
    P4: StackHash_2264
    P5: 0.0.0.0
    P6: 00000000
    P7: PCH_84_FROM_unknown+0x0000000000000000
    P8: c0000005
    P9: 0000000000000008
    P10:
    7. Only Windows Defender.
    8. I tend to leave the launcher on while doing something else, but the problem occurs both with that and a freshly started launcher.
    9. No, I haven't yet.
    10. No logs.
    Edited by Tesman85 on December 25, 2021 11:05AM
  • NeeScrolls
    NeeScrolls
    ✭✭✭✭
    and I noticed the CTD problem only a month ago when returning to the game after some months. .
    Do you know if maybe your crashes started happening just after a certain ESO update/patch date?

Otherwise, you might wanna try doing the 'repair' from ESO Launcher. And then if that doesn't work, just gotta wait for 1 of the green @ZOS_ reps to notice this thread with all those 10 details/answers you replied. ESO is a very tricky game to troubleshoot , because of all the game-mods & add-ons they allow.

But your reply with details/answers should help a lot...whenever they have time to see this thread.

Edited by NeeScrolls on December 25, 2021 5:48PM
  • Tesman85
    Tesman85
    ✭✭✭✭
    NeeScrolls wrote: »
    and I noticed the CTD problem only a month ago when returning to the game after some months. .
    Do you know if maybe your crashes started happening just after a certain ESO update/patch date?

Otherwise, you might wanna try doing the 'repair' from ESO Launcher. And then if that doesn't work, just gotta wait for 1 of the green @ZOS_ reps to notice this thread with all those 10 details/answers you replied. ESO is a very tricky game to troubleshoot , because of all the game-mods & add-ons they allow.

But your reply with details/answers should help a lot...whenever they have time to see this thread.

I'm not entirely certain, but the crashes might have started after the update. Namely, I started playing again after a pause at the beginning of December, and remember noticing the CTD's about a week or so later. So maybe the update has something to do about this.

Well, I'll try repairing the game and if it doesn't work, I'll hope ZOS fixes it in a future update. Thanks for your help!
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This crash, or a similar one, happens to me infrequently, but it has been going on for a long long time, now. For me, it tends to be on one character, and it could be the first character I load, or a later character.

If it offers the chance to report it (Windows app crashed panel) I will submit a "crashed during character load". ZOS gets these, so if you get one of those dialogs, fill it out. This does not always appear, though.

This has actually been going on long enough, and across enough different computers and driver versions, that I am pretty sure it is not something in the local environment.
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • Tesman85
    Tesman85
    ✭✭✭✭
    Elsonso wrote: »
    This crash, or a similar one, happens to me infrequently, but it has been going on for a long long time, now. For me, it tends to be on one character, and it could be the first character I load, or a later character.

If it offers the chance to report it (Windows app crashed panel) I will submit a "crashed during character load". ZOS gets these, so if you get one of those dialogs, fill it out. This does not always appear, though.

This has actually been going on long enough, and across enough different computers and driver versions, that I am pretty sure it is not something in the local environment.

Well, for me this is a new issue in this form. Earlier I have got a handful of similar crashes, and then the report form did appear. Not lately, though. The game just shuts itself down and there's no report form.
  • Tesman85
    Tesman85
    ✭✭✭✭
    An update: I repaired the game from the launcher, but the CTD problem still remains. Oh well, let's see if they fix it in some future update.
  • ZOS_Bill
    ZOS_Bill
    admin
    @Tesman85

With the recommended troubleshooting not helping with your game crash, we recommend starting a ticket with customer support for help.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
  • sentientomega
    sentientomega
    ✭✭✭
    I've been getting this very recently (within the last week), logging in characters located in the Gold Coast zone. I've done a launcher repair, I've updated those addons that had available updates, let's see how this goes.
  • miguelcura
    miguelcura
    ✭✭✭
    same issue here
  • ZOS_Bill
    ZOS_Bill
    admin
    As this discussion is now a few months old, we are going to close this thread. If you still need help with a similar issue, please go ahead and start a new thread in the PC Support forum.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
This discussion has been closed.