Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

The Gamepad Support for PC is incredibly buggy

RicAlmighty
RicAlmighty
✭✭✭✭✭
At least 50% of the time when I start the game, it does not recognize my controller even though the gamepad setting is set to ON. I have to either disconnect and reconnect my controller, or I have to back into the settings and turn gamepad mode OFF and then ON again to get it to work.

Secondly at times the game simply refuses to acknowledge left and right movement on the left-hand stick. Forward and backward work fine, but the character simply stops dead when you attempt to move left or right. If I switch to keyboard mode, I can use A/D to move side to side fine, so it is a bug specific to gamepad mode. The only way to correct this is to quit the game and restart. There are other small issues as well that crop up from time to time. Are any of these known? Are they being looked at? This is a bit frustrating when all you want to do is play the game and it actively sabotages you.
  • Tirantiel
    Tirantiel
    Has happened to me as well in past. Had to go into the devices and printers, select the xbox controller game controller settings, select properties, then settings and reset to default. Had to reset to default multiple times.
  • Supernum
    Supernum
    What kind of controllers do you guys use? Wired ones, Bluetooth, Wifi, ...? Which Brands/Model? What OS are you on? Did you manually install any drivers for your controllers?
  • RicAlmighty
    RicAlmighty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Supernum wrote: »
    What kind of controllers do you guys use? Wired ones, Bluetooth, Wifi, ...? Which Brands/Model? What OS are you on? Did you manually install any drivers for your controllers?

Standard XBox One controller, wired directly through USB. Works 100% perfectly on 50 other games, it's only ESO that exhibits these behaviors.
  • ZOS_Bill
    ZOS_Bill
    admin
    @RicAlmighty

An add-on may be causing issues with the mode switching with your controller. We have two help articles linked below that go over how to uninstall or remove add-ons that you're currently using.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
  • RicAlmighty
    RicAlmighty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @ZOS_BillE ,

Thanks for the reply, I appreciate it. Unfortunately this happens even if I have no add-ons installed at all. The biggest issue is that at least 50% of the time, the game does not recognize the controller at all. I have to disconnect and reconnect in order for it to kick in. The other issues happen but are much rarer.

Thanks again
  • ZOS_Bill
    ZOS_Bill
    admin
    @RicAlmighty

Besides removing add-ons, there are some additional things you can check to get the controller working in our help article linked below.

Why isn’t my controller working when playing The Elder Scrolls Online on PC / Mac?
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post