The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Why am I constantly reloading?

qvamp
qvamp
Does anyone know why ESO is constantly reloading for me over the past couple of weeks? If I travel more than, say, 50-200 yards, I get a reload of the area. It can be quick, taking just a couple of seconds or it can take up to a minute or so. The biggest issue is that it can happen frequently, like every 10 seconds I'm actually playing the game - as long as I'm moving faster than a walk.

I can also spend up to 5 minutes waiting for characters to load, which I assume is related. None of this happened before a couple of weeks ago.

Is this happening to others, or is my computer dying? I've noticed other apps are almost at a standstill every time this happens.
Edited by ZOS_Bill on December 31, 2021 4:22PM
  • Darrett
    Darrett
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have the same experience, I’ve assumed it was population based since more people have time off around this time of year.
  • qvamp
    qvamp
    It might be. I forgot to mention that my other character, who is less fast, and can't get to the groovy areas right now, has no problem.
  • qvamp
    qvamp
    Apparently I spoke to fast... it still has issues, just not as bad.
  • Ksariyu
    Ksariyu
    ✭✭✭✭
    So, AWS has been having some major issues over the past couple weeks. I'm not sure if it's related, but it's the only thing I can think of, as literally every internet-related task I try to do has this issue. Frequent kicks from online games, sites only partially loading or even just forgetting I clicked something to load in the first place. Streaming sites also lag a lot right now. Hopefully it's resolved in the next couple of days, but we'll see.
  • qvamp
    qvamp
    Is ESO even using AWS (alphabet soup!)? I'm not seeing this issue in anything else... though I don't know if I'm using their web services anywhere else.
  • Nanfoodle
    Nanfoodle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would make sure your ram is not holding onto 10 web pages and also shut down as many TSRs as possible.
  • qvamp
    qvamp
    Nanfoodle wrote: »
    I would make sure your ram is not holding onto 10 web pages and also shut down as many TSRs as possible.

Thanks, I really do appreciate your answer. For the record, RAM is the memory you use, it really has nothing (directly) to do with the number of webpages you, or a specific browser, are using. For example, one page might use 50M, another just 2k.

What you're really asking is if my memory usage is high. I currently have no browsers open, and memory usage is at about 40%. More concerning is that my GPU is around 95%.

TSRs, as you're referring to them, are just another memory usage.
  • LashanW
    LashanW
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do have longer loading screens now than a couple of weeks ago, even when moving between wayshrines in same zone. But I don't get loading screens out of nowhere (didn't go to cyrodiil however)
    ---No longer active in ESO---
    Platform: PC-EU
    CP: 2500+
    Trial Achievements
    Godslayer, Gryphon Heart, Tick-Tock Tormentor, Immortal Redeemer, Dro-m'Athra Destroyer, vMoL no death

Arena Achievements
    vMA Flawless, vVH Spirit Slayer

DLC Dungeon Trifectas
    Scalecaller Peak, Fang Lair, Depths of Malatar, Icereach
  • Nanfoodle
    Nanfoodle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    qvamp wrote: »
    Nanfoodle wrote: »

Thanks, I really do appreciate your answer. For the record, RAM is the memory you use, it really has nothing (directly) to do with the number of webpages you, or a specific browser, are using. For example, one page might use 50M, another just 2k.

What you're really asking is if my memory usage is high. I currently have no browsers open, and memory usage is at about 40%. More concerning is that my GPU is around 95%.

TSRs, as you're referring to them, are just another memory usage.

Chrome is a huge memory hog. I dare you to look how much system resources it uses with just 10 tabs.

Also what do you have on your desktop? When you turn on your PC starts loading all desktop content to your ram and then when you launch the game and windows starts swapping things between your hard drive and ram.

I have done tech support on slow PC that had over a TB of data on the desk top and between 3 different browsers had 60 tabs open and the TSR box was so big it looked like the windows start menu.

If this does not make sense to you. I suggest you use Razor Synaps. It's not as good as a well maintained PC but it helps if you don't know how.
  • ZOS_Bill
    ZOS_Bill
    admin
    @qvamp

Are you still having reloading issues in game?

If so, is this happening in specific areas of the game?
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
  • Mr_Madness
    Mr_Madness
    ✭✭✭
    Not just you, I get it all the time depending I ride a mount or walk couple feet.

It's higher in populated areas but still happens in low areas which takes a shorter time to load.

Never had this problem until November update.
  • ZOS_Bill
    ZOS_Bill
    admin
    In the help article link below, you can find some additional troubleshooting to help with loading issues in ESO.

What do I do if I my ESO character can't load into a zone?
    Staff Post
  • qvamp
    qvamp
    Sorry, I just saw the last few comments. Yes, it is still happening. It isn't that my character can't load into a zone, it is that it loads, I move a little, and it then decides to make me load again. I can happen any number of times, and can range from it happening when I'm riding fast, to when I'm walking slowly. I've not had it happen if I'm just standing still.

The loading always takes a long time, but I've had it happen 5 times with a total play time between them of just 2-3 minutes. Sometimes it only happens 1 or 2 times a night, sometimes it never happens.

I haven't kept track of where it happened. But I do know Summerset was an area that was common.
  • ZOS_Bill
    ZOS_Bill
    admin
    @qvamp

Do you continue to have loading issues if your character moves to a different zone?
    Staff Post
  • qvamp
    qvamp
    Oh definitely yes. There may have been some truth to what people said before. It *might* have happened only in overly-populated areas. I really didn't pay much attention to what zone I was in. Generally it was horrible, and then it seemed to lessen over the night. That would seem to fit with the populated area idea... after I played for a while I went off into other areas to do quests.

I haven't seen any issue in the last 2 days. I'm not sure if anything changed, or if areas just aren't populated enough. Once a new event happens, I probably can give you more information.
  • ZOS_Bill
    ZOS_Bill
    admin
    @qvamp

Thank you for the update! Please keep us updated on if anything specific triggers the loading issues to start up again.
    Staff Post
  • Arthonor
    Arthonor
    Soul Shriven
    On PC EU, in Stonefalls reloading happens a lot today.
    Also Interactions often have huge delay. Like opening shop wares, harvesting materials.
    Mobs loading in to scene have delay.

I walked in to an empty village, suddenly I got hurt and fireballs came out of thin air, and when the mobs came in to scene, I had 4 enemies around me.

I walked just out of a guarded area, no mobs around and should be safe, scene began reloading, I tapped out to search for a reason for this unplayability of the game, tapped back in, and I was dead.
  • ZOS_Bill
    ZOS_Bill
    admin
    @Arthonor

Have you tried rebooting your router to see if that will improve the loading and latency issues you've run into?
    Staff Post
  • Arthonor
    Arthonor
    Soul Shriven
    I have not, but I have tested my connection, both in games and with tests.

It is worth noting that my graphics card have 3GB memory.
    At the time, the game quickly rose to 2.5GB and short before reloading I often noted 2.7GB.

It could easily have reached higher before a reload.
    If that is the case, it seems the game save me from a crash, due to lack of memory.

This fits with many characters with lots of different gear.
    In case of the delays, I suppose it was busy loading and perhaps unloading to make room for new textures.
    In case of invisible enemies, I suppose their texture was last in load queue.

Perhaps I can tweak settings to load less.