Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

[PC NA] Game Client Does Not Save Screenshots > Resolved!

Shadowshire
Shadowshire
✭✭✭✭
@ZOS_BillE

This issue continues to exist since it began on November 1, 2021, with the release of Deadlands & Update 32. When I use the key-bind to take a screenshot, as I have done so many times before during the 7+ years that I have played TESO, the game client reports on the HUD that it saved a screenshot in the default location, as always. However, the new screenshot is never actually stored in that location. No screenshot has been stored there since the last one dated October 31, 2021.

As far as I have been able to determine, the missing TESO screenshots do not exist in any other folder on my computer system, such as the SSD drive D partition where the game is actually installed. The (My) Documents folder remains in the C:\Windows\Users file tree (on a different SSD).

While reading numerous reports and discussions, I have not found any resolution that appears pertinent to my computer system. For example, I do not use the AVG anti-malware software. Rather, I run Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE), a 64-bit anti-malware program which Microsoft created and released for 64-bit Windows 7 systems before anyone else had one. I do not have any reason to believe that it interferes with storing a screenshot, particularly since it has never done that prior to November 1. Why would it interfere now?

Did ZOS change the game client to make and/or store screenshots in a different way? What can I do about this problem? Not having the feature available really detracts a lot from using the game client qua software to play the game.

Edited by ZOS_Bill on November 25, 2021 4:33PM
--- Shadowshire .......... ESO Plus on PC NA with Windows 7 Pro SP1

nil carborundum illegitimi
  • NeeScrolls
    NeeScrolls
    ✭✭✭✭
    This issue continues to exist since it began on November 1, 2021, with the release of Deadlands & Update 32.

While reading numerous reports and discussions, I have not found any resolution that appears pertinent to my computer system.

Did ZOS change the game client to make and/or store screenshots in a different way? What can I do about this problem? Not having the feature available really detracts a lot from using the game client qua software to play the game.
    Not sure if you've seen the following 2 related discussions/threads yet but just in case they might help you narrow down the issue, maybe check out these 2 links whenever you have a sec:
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/590159/unable-to-make-screenshot
    ...and...
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/551495/screenshots-not-saving

Best of luck! Very frustrating to be sure. ( *it might have something to do with 'multi-threading' option, as stated in those 2 links ^ )

Edited by NeeScrolls on November 23, 2021 9:01AM
  • Shadowshire
    Shadowshire
    ✭✭✭✭
    NeeScrolls wrote: »
    Not sure if you've seen the following 2 related discussions/threads yet but just in case they might help you narrow down the issue, maybe check out these 2 links whenever you have a sec:
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/590159/unable-to-make-screenshot
    ...and...
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/551495/screenshots-not-saving

Best of luck! Very frustrating to be sure. ( *it might have something to do with 'multi-threading' option, as stated in those 2 links ^ )
    Thank-you very much for your response! I recall mentions of a new "multithreading" option, enabled by default, as a possible cause in some posts that I read, but nothing was confirmed at the time. Also, the CPU on the computer with which I currently play TESO has 4 cores, but it does not support multithreading. So I thought that it was irrelevant (although the option is enabled by default, which could cause problems even if it is one that cannot be used and/or it is a feature that has no effect on a specific computer system).

It seems to me that the in-game tooltip description of the "multithreading" feature does not refer to whether the player's computer CPU supports multithreaded simultaneous execution of two or more processes (or maybe it does!?). Whether "multithreading" is appropriate to describe the feature, it applies only with regard to graphics rendering.

That said, after I disabled the feature via the Select Character dialog display screen Settings, the game client still did not store a screenshot in the default location. Then I remembered that someone mentioned restarting the game, so I Quit, and launched the game client again.

Now when I take a screenshot, it is stored in the default location, as it has always been before. :smiley:

--- Shadowshire .......... ESO Plus on PC NA with Windows 7 Pro SP1

nil carborundum illegitimi
  • NeeScrolls
    NeeScrolls
    ✭✭✭✭
    NeeScrolls wrote: »
    ...and...

Thank-you very much for your response! I recall mentions of a new "multithreading" option, enabled by default, as a possible cause in some posts that I read, but nothing was confirmed at the time. Also, the CPU on the computer with which I currently play TESO has 4 cores, but it does not support multithreading. So I thought that it was irrelevant (although the option is enabled by default, which could cause problems even if it is one that cannot be used and/or it is a feature that has no effect on a specific computer system).

It seems to me that the in-game tooltip description of the "multithreading" feature does not refer to whether the player's computer CPU supports multithreaded simultaneous execution of two or more processes (or maybe it does!?). Whether "multithreading" is appropriate to describe the feature, it applies only with regard to graphics rendering.

That said, after I disabled the feature via the Select Character dialog display screen Settings, the game client still did not store a screenshot in the default location. Then I remembered that someone mentioned restarting the game, so I Quit, and launched the game client again.

Now when I take a screenshot, it is stored in the default location, as it has always been before.
    No prob , and cool glad to hear it's working again! (the ole tried & true 'restart client' method usually never hurts yep)
  • ZOS_Bill
    ZOS_Bill
    admin
    Thank you for updating the thread to let us know the issue is resolved. We will now lock the thread from further postings.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
This discussion has been closed.