The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
The maintenance is complete, and the PTS is now back online and patch 10.0.1 is available.

Chat Interface for PC using Gamepad

• Superkraut
    Superkraut
    ✭✭
    Hey there @ZOS_Kevin Was this Change intentional?
  • anadandy
    anadandy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    At least three threads on this topic and nothing.
  • NettleCarrier
    NettleCarrier
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    And nothing on today's patch notes. Can anyone confirm if it is still an issue?
    GM of Gold Coast Corsairs - PCNA
  • Baertram
    Baertram
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep it is, still gamepad console chat on PTS PC.
    And I did not find any option to change this.
    Edited by Baertram on September 27, 2021 4:05PM
  • CaffeinatedMayhem
    CaffeinatedMayhem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Why are you doing this to us devs? Please don't take away the good chat!
  • Superkraut
    Superkraut
    ✭✭
    It's just week 2 of PTS, but if it stays like this, I hope that someone comes up with an Addon that changes it back to what it was :neutral:
  • dotme
    dotme
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @ZOS_Kevin would be nice to have that same keyboard toggle on consoles. Please and thank you.
    PS4NA
  • Baertram
    Baertram
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Superkraut wrote: »
    It's just week 2 of PTS, but if it stays like this, I hope that someone comes up with an Addon that changes it back to what it was :neutral:

I'm glad meanwhile ZOs posted in this thread (2nd post on page 1 I think) about adding options to let us switch. It will take some time though to get to the PTS. So let's wait.
  • PurpleScroll
    PurpleScroll
    ✭✭✭✭
    ZOS_Kevin wrote: »
    <snip>

I'm really happy to hear that, thanks for letting us know!

• PrinceShroob
    PrinceShroob
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for promising to implement a toggle. That said, I want to express irritation with another change, where the game will display the keyboard keys in place of buttons until a gamepad input is pressed. It makes it almost impossible to type -- instead, the game frequently uses keyboard shortcuts instead of entering the letter (for example, attempting to type "c" and getting thrown into the character menu instead).

For example, I was trying to file a bug report and typing "w" kept causing the game to move upwards through the dropdown menus above the text input rather than merely typing the letter I wanted.
  • RiverBrian
    RiverBrian
    ✭✭✭
    I got on yesterday and we can now move the chat box. But sadly, that's it
  • risfi
    risfi
    ✭✭
    Please keep us posted with your feedback as we roll out the keyboard/gamepad chat toggle.
    While you are at it, can we get the keyboard chat to not overlap with loot pop up in gamepad mode, the way it does on live now? Like making the keyboard chat dock to the right side of the screen if in gamepad mode, or simply moving the loot pop ups to the right, same as in keyboard mode?

• Superkraut
    Superkraut
    ✭✭
    d6r1iwxtcsl5.jpg Thank you very much for this @ZOS :)
    Edited by Superkraut on October 4, 2021 6:00PM
  • NettleCarrier
    NettleCarrier
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    risfi wrote: »
    Please keep us posted with your feedback as we roll out the keyboard/gamepad chat toggle.
    While you are at it, can we get the keyboard chat to not overlap with loot pop up in gamepad mode, the way it does on live now? Like making the keyboard chat dock to the right side of the screen if in gamepad mode, or simply moving the loot pop ups to the right, same as in keyboard mode?

I solved this by just moving the chat box an inch to the right... I'd have no desire to move it to the right side of the screen. I'm pretty sure an addon can change where loot pops up though, like I know Bandit's can put it all in the chat box for example. I'm pretty sure I've seen people have loot on the right.
    GM of Gold Coast Corsairs - PCNA
  • kinguardian
    kinguardian
    ✭✭✭✭
    Oooh that would be fantastic!! If I can use my gamepad to type like on a console.
    It is now really difficult for me and I have been wanting this a long time.
    I really hope that you are going to this :)
    I am curious what it is going to look like.

Edit: Have you guys used it on the PTS? Because it is not I game yet is it?
    People do not seem happy and that is a shame I really wanted this for a long time
    Edited by kinguardian on November 9, 2021 1:02AM
  • Syrpynt
    Syrpynt
    ✭✭✭
    risfi wrote: »

I'm weird, but since I'm not usually a healer: I put my chat box over my group display in the top left. Rarely do I need to look up, so this clears more space for my visibility. Make chatbox transparent to see group stuff when chat is idle.

***For those unaware: When you type into chat and get your cursor, you can resize the chat box and move it (slowly, and by dragging the sides of it like an inchworm towards where you want it).

I honestly need to redo my chat boxes and create a tab for "system notifications" and such, for lootlog--and then standardize the UI across characters with that other add-on... I'll probably work on that tonight. I've been hsing gamepad with a keyboard for chatbox for a long time, I didn't notice anything really with U32 other than the annoying need to tap my controller button twice anytime I want to do something in the UI that defaults to keyboard first.

Gamepad is just more natural to me, growing up on consoles. I prefer the ergonomics, but also despise consoles for their drawbacks. Please don't take away gamepad freedoms on PC--it gives us the best of both worlds for PC ESO, imho.
    Edited by Syrpynt on November 9, 2021 6:34PM
  • Link2999
    Link2999
    Soul Shriven
    Hi All, thanks for your feedback here. We wanted to follow up with some information. The change was intentional as part of our testing for improvements to navigation of the gamepad chat UI while using both a gamepad and keyboard/mouse on PC. However, this is still a work in progress.

That being said, we've gone through feedback in this thread and want to address your concerns. We plan on adding an option to toggle between keyboard/gamepad chat in a future PTS update. We look forward to your feedback there as well.

Lastly, we want to highlight that the intention here was not to limit player choice, but rather to expand it. Please keep us posted with your feedback as we roll out the keyboard/gamepad chat toggle. Thank you for your continued patience as we work on this feature.

@ZOS_Kevin The Stadia version of the game seems to have been forgotten about or skipped over here since this toggle update came out.

Submitted some reports on the issue and made my own thread: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/591565/stadia-chat-ui-bugged-on-latest-patch#latest and found another here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/7440203

In the case of Stadia using a controller, the keyboard chat interface doesn't work like it should. The in-game settings that are supposed to affect it, don't, and UI features on the window that are supposed to be clicked remain un-clickable. Ideally I would at least like to be able to hide the thing or resize the text from the settings menu.
  • ZOS_Kevin
    ZOS_Kevin
    Community Manager
    @Link2999 Thanks for the ping here. We will check in with the team regarding Stadia.
    Community Manager for ZeniMax Online Studio and Elder Scrolls OnlineDev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter
    Staff Post