The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Looking for African American guild on PC NA

Village_Idiot
Village_Idiot
✭✭
I have been in several guilds, only to leave due to the hidden racist undertones these guilds offered in discord...so I have been searching for a guild that I can be myself in, there really isnt any on the PC NA server. Yet you have Aussie guilds, LGBT+ guilds, South African guilds, Florida guilds, Hispanic guilds but when it come to African American's, there is none. Plenty will post and say they are friendly but they are not. Some have told me that they are not aware of the things they say as "it wasnt meant to sound like that" or some other bs.

In saying this, If there is a guild that is "race" friendly than im in but i would prefer to be with like minded players, like the Aussie, Hispanic and and other guilds.
Edited by ZOS_ConnorG on May 14, 2021 3:06PM
  • axi
    axi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    [snip]

Also what would be the verification procces there? Sending pictures proving Your skin color or heritage? I don't know maybe I am from different culture but that sounds wierd.

[Edited to remove Baiting]
    Edited by ZOS_ConnorG on May 14, 2021 3:36PM
  • Goregrinder
    Goregrinder
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    "Like minded", I don't think the color of your skin has anything to do with your mind right?
  • ZOS_ConnorG
    Greetings all,

After review we have had to edit or remove several posts for Baiting and Inappropriate Content. Ensure when engaging in a discussion that you keep said discussion civil, constructive, and within the rules. If you see a post that is baiting in nature do not engage it with further hostility and instead report it for the moderators to review.

You are welcome to review the Community Rules here.
    Staff Post
  • TheNuminous1
    TheNuminous1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow just seeing your reactions towards someone wanting to find a guild of similar people with similar world experiences is very telling of what this person's probably been going through.

I hope you find your guild and that you can avoid the racism. As a gay gamer the hidden homophobia is also rampent
  • FriedEggSandwich
    FriedEggSandwich
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    axi wrote: »
    [snip]

Also what would be the verification procces there? Sending pictures proving Your skin color or heritage? I don't know maybe I am from different culture but that sounds wierd.

I mean, what is the verification process for an LGBT guild? Or even a Florida guild? Does there even have to be a verification process? It really doesn't sound that weird.
    "Like minded", I don't think the color of your skin has anything to do with your mind right?

Was that really necessary to say? The op explained what they meant by it. World experiences make people like minded, I thought that was pretty obvious. The apparent offence taken by this thread is kinda crazy tbh.
    Edited by FriedEggSandwich on May 14, 2021 7:31PM
    PC | EU
  • FriedEggSandwich
    FriedEggSandwich
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    axi wrote: »
    [snip]

I mean, what is the verification process for an LGBT guild? Or even a Florida guild? Does there even have to be a verification process? It really doesn't sound that weird.

Was that really necessary to say? The op explained what they meant by it. World experiences make people like minded, I thought that was pretty obvious. The apparent offence taken by this thread is kinda crazy tbh.

[Quoted post was removed]

It's all here in the thread; for the same reasons Hispanic, LGBT+, Aussie and Florida guilds don't go against ZOS' hate speech clause. There is no hate speech involved in setting up a themed guild, or indeed asking if there is one. All guilds promote exclusivity because they only have 500 player slots lol, I can't join any guild I like.

Edited by ZOS_ConnorG on May 16, 2021 5:26PM
    PC | EU
  • FriedEggSandwich
    FriedEggSandwich
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    [Quoted post has been removed.]

I thought someone would make that point. In theory yeah, although I would question the motives of such a request, simply because white people are the majority in the western world. They are by default represented, and in most situations already around people with similar world experiences. You join a guild, chances are it's already mostly white.

I would like to think that any of these guilds mentioned (Hispanic/LGBT etc) would not exclude anyone who wanted to be part of them but didn't fit the criteria. I have assumed that the OP is not looking for a guild free from white people, in the same way I would assume that someone asking for an LGBT guild is not looking for a guild free from straight people. But it seems as though some people here have assumed that is what the OP wants. If you started a thread looking for a white guild would you want it free from non-whites? People would probably assume that just because, as I've already said, most guilds are already white. I'm pretty sure exclusive english-speaking guilds already exist.
    Edited by ZOS_GregoryV on May 14, 2021 11:01PM
    PC | EU
  • WreckfulAbandon
    WreckfulAbandon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought someone would make that point. In theory yeah, although I would question the motives of such a request, simply because white people are the majority in the western world. They are by default represented, and in most situations already around people with similar world experiences. You join a guild, chances are it's already mostly white.

I would like to think that any of these guilds mentioned (Hispanic/LGBT etc) would not exclude anyone who wanted to be part of them but didn't fit the criteria. I have assumed that the OP is not looking for a guild free from white people, in the same way I would assume that someone asking for an LGBT guild is not looking for a guild free from straight people. But it seems as though some people here have assumed that is what the OP wants. If you started a thread looking for a white guild would you want it free from non-whites? People would probably assume that just because, as I've already said, most guilds are already white. I'm pretty sure exclusive english-speaking guilds already exist.

That's a really long winded way of saying "no." I would never join any guild that is specifically for/not for one race but it's clear to myself (and most) that the answer would be "no." [snip]

[Edited to remove Non-Constructive Content]
    Edited by ZOS_ConnorG on May 16, 2021 5:25PM
    PC NA

All my comments are regarding PvP
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am in a Guild that does not have issues with players no matter what category or pigeonhole that someone can place themselves in. We have players from all over the world, of all types.

All we care about is your nice, like to have fun and can help out someone if they need it. We also have 0 tolerance for crap treatment of other guild members.

It is strange to think that this guild would be the exception not the norm. We also tend not to do a bunch of Discord unless we are having a group event, so perhaps the jerks behave themselves. Nah, we just don't have any jerks, at least not for long.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• FriedEggSandwich
    FriedEggSandwich
    ✭✭✭✭✭

That's a really long winded way of saying "no." I would never join any guild that is specifically for/not for one race but it's clear to myself (and most) that the answer would be "no." [snip]

This is not solely about race, it's about minorities wanting to stick together to some degree. Race is definitely part of that, but anything that sets you apart from most other people puts you in a minority. That can be because you're disabled, gay, black, asian, hispanic, aussie or russian, or it can be because you love hardcore role-play, cos-play, argonians, lore, ganking or grinding xp.

When I went to SE Asia all the expats hung-out together in irish bars, and it was a relief to bump into the occasional westerner. Where I work in the uk about 30% of the work force are Phillipino and they all hang out together outside work and have a huge support network. There is nothing wrong with needing familiarity, or to see yourself reflected in the people you hang out with. English-speaking white people already have this advantage in the western world.

If there was an ESO server in an area of the world where white people were the minority then I think it would be perfectly understandable to look for a white guild. But my point was that if what you want is a white guild then you're probably already in about 5.
    Edited by ZOS_ConnorG on May 16, 2021 5:37PM
    PC | EU
  • WreckfulAbandon
    WreckfulAbandon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is not solely about race, it's about minorities wanting to stick together to some degree. Race is definitely part of that, but anything that sets you apart from most other people puts you in a minority. That can be because you're disabled, gay, black, asian, hispanic, aussie or russian, or it can be because you love hardcore role-play, cos-play, argonians, lore, ganking or grinding xp.

When I went to SE Asia all the expats hung-out together in irish bars, and it was a relief to bump into the occasional westerner. Where I work in the uk about 30% of the work force are Phillipino and they all hang out together outside work and have a huge support network. There is nothing wrong with needing familiarity, or to see yourself reflected in the people you hang out with. English-speaking white people already have this advantage in the western world.

If there was an ESO server in an area of the world where white people were the minority then I think it would be perfectly understandable to look for a white guild. But my point was that if what you want is a white guild then you're probably already in about 5.

That's a perfectly fair perspective! And to the OP's credit I never detected a hint of malice in their initial post. That's what it comes down to for me; as long as there is no underlying disdain/hatred of other cultures it's a good thing to have nuanced discussions about this type of thing. That's why a lot of us immigrated to western countries in the first place, to have the freedom to think and discuss.
    PC NA

• hexnotic
    hexnotic
    ✭✭✭✭
    the OP is simply wanting to join a guild that respects POC. pretty simple stuff here guys. don’t get caught up on the small things
  • WreckfulAbandon
    WreckfulAbandon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    hexnotic wrote: »
    the OP is simply wanting to join a guild that respects POC. pretty simple stuff here guys. don’t get caught up on the small things

Youre right, but with clickbait and social media garbage crammed down our throats espousing groupthink 24/7 some are ready to pushback where it may not be appropriate :s I'm done, have a great Friday everyone! Hope the OP finds what they are looking for.
    PC NA

• Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I suspect that the OP, [snip], is now firmly convinced that the forum is filled with hidden racist undertones, in addition to the guilds. :neutral:

Edited by ZOS_ConnorG on May 16, 2021 5:38PM
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • Supreme_Atromancer
    Supreme_Atromancer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    C'mon guys! Let's not get all butthurt because someone is looking for a guild they would be comfortable in! They clearly stated their motivations, we don't need an inquisition here. There's nothing to be offended about, nothing to be suspicious of. Yeah, make a white-only guild if that would make you happy, who cares. Just go be awesome to one another.
  • Iarao
    Iarao
    ✭✭✭✭
    start your own guild?
  • Village_Idiot
    Village_Idiot
    ✭✭
    Elsonso wrote: »
    I suspect that the OP, [snip], is now firmly convinced that the forum is filled with hidden racist undertones, in addition to the guilds. :neutral:

Yes i do..i was hoping for the opposite but i knew some would eventually stumble over giving there trollish advise, so it seems to be an issue with racism in the forums.
    Edited by ZOS_ConnorG on May 16, 2021 5:39PM
  • Village_Idiot
    Village_Idiot
    ✭✭
    This game is predominately white, yes i know...but since we live in era where asking for anything will be challenged, rescript, bamboozled, and turned inside out to fit some warped agenda for someone that has an issue with race is the main motivator as in this post. In discord its even worse but as soon as i speak up then they want to back slide on their comments. Trying to unapologetically apologize like that excuses them from what was said. But i could turn the wheels on them and start jumping on them about what their race does but what's the point in that? I rather not hear it at all, i rather hear about new sets, new poisons, or better tactics but it always comes to racism. I play this game to relax not defend my color. But like the majority of commenters on this thread, instead of giving advise they would rather come at me sideways with racist pitches...good job. To those that gave advise, thank you for your time.
  • TheNuminous1
    TheNuminous1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Elsonso wrote: »

On top of finding how much hidden racism is rampant in ESO. They have also had 0 people on this post coming forward that they have or are apart of a POC guild. Which means either there are non. Which is awful. Or that the racism of the game is so strong they are not comfortable coming out and offering a slot in their guild on the public forums. Which is awful.

I've learned here today eso has too much irl racism ingrained in its player base. Which I suspected cause again. Gay player. Lots of homophobia.

Plus I've spent years watching zone chats so like. Duh our game is filled with kinda bad people.
    Edited by ZOS_ConnorG on May 16, 2021 5:40PM
  • ZOS_ConnorG
    Greetings all,

After review we have had to edit or remove several posts for Baiting and Inappropriate Content. If you do not have anything constructive or relevant to the topic at hand to say then refrain from disrupting the discussion.

You are welcome to review the Community Rules here.
    Staff Post
  • Goregrinder
    Goregrinder
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Iarao wrote: »
    start your own guild?

There would be no better opportunity to do so. If you think there is a market for something that no one else is offering, someone should start offering it.
  • Village_Idiot
    Village_Idiot
    ✭✭
    I already know several AA players but they are just like me asking around for a guild and maybe your right that i should start one if there isnt one present...will think heavy on it because running a guild is a tedious job and not sure if i have time to run, with my hectic RL.
  • Brrrofski
    Brrrofski
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Some of the ignorance in this thread is mind blowing
  • Belegnole
    Belegnole
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You will find that there are many, many players that never enter the forums. So while there may be a guild such as you're asking for they may not be on the forums at all.

That being said, aside from starting your own you may try the time honored method that many of us use. Keep checking out guilds until you find one that fits. While you're on the way to finding that group of like minded players you may find a few guilds that enrich your play, while not being that home you're looking for. Since you can be in multiple guilds there isn't a reason not to be trying a number of them at the same time.

If you're into a certain play style check some of those types of guilds out. When you're there talk with them and they may be able to give some info that you're not getting here. Good luck in your search!
  • Village_Idiot
    Village_Idiot
    ✭✭
    I have done this, tried multiple guilds 30 in all and i have ran across more racism than i care to talk about, i see zone chat is just as toxic with the N word used whenever they like...no i dont screen shoot, dont have time for it, since it being, if their isnt filters for it, it must be acceptable form of language in ESO. Im also in 4 guilds was in 5 but left due to non existent play times, one guild is BMU (love the ports) 2 are for PvP (only thing they say is what location to hit) and the other slot is for a fellow AA that we share bank space for mats. Well im hoping they will reach out to me in some way, would be nice!
  • AScarlato
    AScarlato
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wish you the best of luck finding a strong guild. I just created an LGBT guild, and as I recruit I have actually gotten hate whispers telling me they hope my guild falls apart. I also got a lot of responses in Zone chat, like "Why do you need a LGBT guild?" Other guilds are not getting critiques of the existence of their guilds.

I am in non-LGBT guilds that are wonderful, but sometimes it's great to have another environment.

Enjoy your time in ESO and I hope you find friends and guildmates that increase your enjoyment of the game.
  • jssriot
    jssriot
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd say it's funny how certain comments here justifies the OP's desire to find an AA-friendly guild, but it's not funny at all. I'd say what it is, but oddly, per this forum's method of handling this sort of thing, my comment would probably get edited for calling a spade a spade.

That said, I really, really wish ZOS would do better about training their forum mods about recognizing hostile comments and attitudes towards minority and marginalized peoples.
    AScarlato wrote: »
    I wish you the best of luck finding a strong guild. I just created an LGBT guild, and as I recruit I have actually gotten hate whispers telling me they hope my guild falls apart. I also got a lot of responses in Zone chat, like "Why do you need a LGBT guild?" Other guilds are not getting critiques of the existence of their guilds.

Yeah, I've seen a lot of that over the years. There are some super fragile people out there who feel mildly slighted simply by knowing there are such guilds and just 100% lose their minds over it.

To people who don't get it: It's exhausting to deal with the subtle and not subtle hate toward us marginalized people's very existence. Imagine wanting to play the game but in order to do a trial or a dungeon or a skyshard run or whatever, it means putting up with people who think your existence is a joke, or an insult, or a synonym for something bad, lazy or sus, all the while always expected to play nice about it. We need an effing break from it. You would too if this was you. Sorry not sorry if that hurts anyone's fee-fees if there might be one tiny inch of space in this world that doesn't cater to them, but you know what, grow up and develop an ounce of empathy so to understand how exhausting is it for us to live and game is spaces that are so often hostile towards us. We're not being elitist. We're just effing tired. And if you're not willing to try and understand what our experience is like, then do us both a favor and leave us alone already.
    PC-NA since 2015. Tired and unimpressed.
  • Village_Idiot
    Village_Idiot
    ✭✭
    Racism is not genetic nor were you born racist, it was taught to them and they grew up hearing it so much that they believe it as truth and even if someone came along and told them different they would call you a liar and a deceiver for it and quickly denounce you as your not someone worth the time to talk to but you are the person worth looking down on and want to complain about. People in general dont want to overcome any obstacles in life that may render their life with a better understanding of it. they dont want to do anything but be who they are. So many words i could use to describe those people but that's not the point. Racism exists in a place where your supposed to relax and have fun, yet it exists.

I have learned alot about the game thru this post, that no matter where you go in life you will meet idiots and in no small amount.

Good day
  • ThorianB
    ThorianB
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    hexnotic wrote: »

Youre right, but with clickbait and social media garbage crammed down our throats espousing groupthink 24/7 some are ready to pushback where it may not be appropriate :s I'm done, have a great Friday everyone! Hope the OP finds what they are looking for.

Yes, when literally everything you see is "racist" it gets old. Many get carried away with things being racist. Race this and race that just makes you start to roll your eyes every time you hear the word. And a lot of it is for clicks and likes and other things people shouldn't be weaponizing the subjects for. Then when there is a real incident of racism, people aren't listening because its the boy crying wolf for the 30th time this week. And a lot of times it is some sort of social media or sensationalism that is making something out to be terrible because it drives clicks in a really competitive market and clicks bring in ad revenue. So media takes advantage of minorities and incidents to make more money. Its really sad.

Racism is not genetic nor were you born racist, it was taught to them and they grew up hearing it so much that they believe it as truth and even if someone came along and told them different they would call you a liar and a deceiver for it and quickly denounce you as your not someone worth the time to talk to but you are the person worth looking down on and want to complain about. People in general dont want to overcome any obstacles in life that may render their life with a better understanding of it. they dont want to do anything but be who they are. So many words i could use to describe those people but that's not the point. Racism exists in a place where your supposed to relax and have fun, yet it exists.

I have learned alot about the game thru this post, that no matter where you go in life you will meet idiots and in no small amount.

Good day

[snip]

You don't have a lot of good options to solve this problem:
    1. Make your own guild. This is a time consuming option, i know. You don't need it focused around tolerance of others. Just have that as one of your rules. Have a game related angle and just moderate it like you want other GMs to moderate their guilds. I find making guilds based on helping newbies or based around helping others learn the game to pull in a lot of new players. Also casual/newbie friendly group runs of dungeons, world bosses, even trials. Once you get past a few dozen members it gets easier to gain members as more players are willing to join a guild with higher numbers.
    2. Join a guild that is tolerant of others. LBGTQ+ friendly for example. These will be the most tolerant guilds typically.
    3. Tell the offenders that you find what they are saying to be offensive. Educate. A problem will never be solved if you just try to ignore it or walk away from it so you don't have to deal with it. If they didn't mean to offend someone, they will listen. If educating doesn't work report them. Either way they have to know it's not ok and, trust me, its a lot more powerful when the offended says " i find that offensive and this is why" than if someone like me says" Hey you aren't being cool or edgy using that word. It derogatory and offensive to [culture] because..." The offended speaking up is more powerful than a proxy defender.
    4. Ignore it. I know this isn't a good option. It seems like offensive people are always the most vocal. But sometimes this is going to be the only option. I remember in Eve Online a few years ago i was in an alliance and one of the regulars in fleets was saying the F word( homophobic slur both versions) every other sentence. I just muted him permanently because even though i am straight, i find it annoying, childish, and just terrible to call anyone that, joking or not. I use the ignore, block, mute buttons a lot just so i don't have to listen to idiots in games.
    5. You could swap to the EU server. Generally speaking Europeans are more tolerant of others more than Americans( i am an American so i can say that before anyone gets offended). Because they have a lot of cultures that intermingle but still keep their cultural identity and they are just a lot more worldly than americans (AKA: they actually leave their country ) they are use to interacting with a lot of different cultures. That generally makes them more tolerant, more thoughtful, and more accepting of people from other cultures. It is normal for them.
    Edited by ZOS_ConnorG on May 21, 2021 1:56PM
  • Village_Idiot
    Village_Idiot
    ✭✭
    So basically there is no option for African American's that play. Can a mod close this thread, my question has been answered.
This discussion has been closed.