The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Blackwood -- Define PREPURCHASE -- A rant of my experience

Lostar
Lostar
✭✭✭✭
I just came back to this game a few days ago after being away for 2 years, jaded by its CRAP business decisions and I was beginning to have fun again. I bought the Greymoor CE upgrade and I bought 365 days of ESO+ and a few other crown tidbits including a 21k crown pack today for the sell. I decided to also prepurchased Blackwoods CE upgrade cause that lizard mount looks incredible and I do love a good flamey teddy. I should have read the "**"...
**Note that the Nightmare Bear Cub is only available as a pre-purchase reward from now until March 17, 2021, so don’t miss out!

What is with these CONTRIVED restrictions. Who are you appeasing here .. cause really it PISSES me off. The game launches June 1st and you have this restriction pushed all way way to mid March??! WHAT??!

A GOOD BUSINESS WOULD GIVE EVERYONE THEIR DAMNED PREORDER BONUSES SO LONG AS THEY ORDER SOMETIME BEFORE LAUNCH.

[Snip] THESE CONTRIVED RESTRICTIONS!

Also .. I did NOT recieve the Nagahide Welwa Ravager mount either but I guess we should all feel so damned fortunate that we are able to even login.

/calming breath/

Please.

[Edited for profanity bypass]
Edited by ZOS_Volpe on April 1, 2021 12:38PM
I paint stuff sometimes...
https://www.instagram.com/artoflostar/
  • Redguards_Revenge
    Redguards_Revenge
    ✭✭✭✭
    When they destroyed a class identity to add a new one yelled from the top of my lungs.
    When they ruined sets like Veiled Heritance and Ravanger I yelled from the top of my lungs.
    When they kept adding more items into the game with only a paid plan to sate the inevitable I yelled from the top of my lungs.
    When they added OP sets every new patch making old ones outdated I yelled from the top of my lungs.
    When they locked content to a new chapter location I yelled from the top of my lungs.
    When they nerfed races that the major playerbase didn't play and buffed the ones that did I yelled from the top of my lungs.
    When the only way to get sets is through RNG rather than having other means I yelled from the top of my lungs.

The problem with MMOs is that it's one big FOMO machine trying to move one on to the next big thing to push profits. It does not want one to go at their own pace. It does not value ones time invested into the game.

When the new era of gaming and MMOs arrive, it will flourish as it will cherish the most valuable aspect of everyones life. Time.
  • Lostar
    Lostar
    ✭✭✭✭
    Seraphayel wrote: »
    [Quoted post was removed]

[snip]

At least Redguards_Revenge seems to get it even if he went slightly off topic to promote his own grievances that is probably share by many as well.

But the context of this post is "Why is there such a contrived restriction on the Nightmare Bear Cub?

[Edited to remove Baiting]
    Edited by ZOS_ConnorG on April 4, 2021 3:42PM
  • Seraphayel
    Seraphayel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lostar wrote: »
    Seraphayel wrote: »
    [Quoted post was removed]

[snip]

At least Redguards_Revenge seems to get it even if he went slightly off topic to promote his own grievances that is probably share by many as well.

But the context of this post is "Why is there such a contrived restriction on the Nightmare Bear Cub?

It’s pretty easy: to make you buy the Chapter as soon as it comes out. Most of the Chapter sales fall into the financial Q1 which ends in March. So it makes sense to end this in March as it will boost your financial results for that specific quarter. And that’s helpful in your earnings call for the first quarter of the year.
    Edited by ZOS_ConnorG on April 4, 2021 3:43PM
    PS5
    EU
    Aldmeri Dominion
    - Khajiit Arcanist -
  • Mojmir
    Mojmir
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    never fall for pre purchase
  • Avariprivateer
    Avariprivateer
    ✭✭✭
    [snip] I suspect the purpose is to maximize pre orders before the end of the fiscal year.

Edited by ZOS_ConnorG on April 4, 2021 3:43PM
  • RunForTheHills
    RunForTheHills
    ✭✭✭
    It is just a marketing gimmick to get people to buy the product early. It is not even that great an incentive. It is just a pet and not a mount or anything else useful.
  • Starlock
    Starlock
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mojmir wrote: »

In most cases, you're not wrong. Pre-orders make sense for physical goods where a customer may need to secure limited copies of a limited item. For digital goods, it is basically a marketing ploy that serves the developer and not so much the customer. With so many games launching broken these days, pre-ordering is a bad call more often than not. ZoS has actually been fairly good about it all things considered, but still has its problems. This year's deadline gimmick was... in poor taste? Let's say it was in poor taste.

You've got my sympathies, OP.
  • lillybit
    lillybit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My feeling was it was to get people to preorder straight away so they'll already have the bulk of the money before it hits PTS. That's when it usually all goes wrong.

Every year they manage to take basically good ideas and wring all the fun out of them. Every year you get people saying they were going to get it but won't bother now because of X, Y and Z. Every year there's massive buyers regret!
    PS4 EU
  • Moonsprite
    Moonsprite
    ✭✭✭
    You can try contacting customer support. They might just give it to you anyway. It wouldn’t hurt to try. I’m sorry this happened to you. 😔
  • Kosef
    Kosef
    ✭✭✭✭
    [snip]

But in all fairness though...pre-purchase items should all be available until the game actually launches.

Edited by ZOS_ConnorG on April 4, 2021 3:44PM
    Server: PC-NA

Vincent Jurard - Breton - DK
    Aronil Elsinwatch - Altmer - Templar
    Ulfgar Stormbringer - Nord - Sorc
    Ra'Jhera Mahrabi - Khajiit - NB
    Kur Zahir - Imperial - Necro
    Khur - Redguard - Warden
    Lives-By-Sword - Argonian - DK
    Sara Willowthorn - Bosmer - Templar
    Elsa Bjariksen - Nord - NB
    Soliril Elsinthar - Altmer - Sorc
    Khargol Ogdum - Orc - Warden
    Veros Sarvani - Dunmer - Necro
    Vedran The Toxic - Dunmer - DK
    Hafnar Ironbark - Nord Warden
    Low - Level: Arcturus The Loyal - Templar
    Guild:
    [Ninja Squirrels]
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The entire concept of pre-purchase on digital video games is an arbitrary limit. I don't see how this is any different than the concept in general, tbh.
  • jaws343
    jaws343
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

If a player's plan is to get the expansion on day 1 no matter what, there is literally no reason not to pre-order. Outside of maybe current financials.
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    jaws343 wrote: »

If a player's plan is to get the expansion on day 1 no matter what, there is literally no reason not to pre-order. Outside of maybe current financials.

Getting it day 1 ensures you know about any updates (be it the game or your life) that may make you change your mind. Getting it day 1 vs pre-purchase makes no difference to the consumer in terms of ability to use the content.
    Edited by spartaxoxo on April 1, 2021 3:16AM
  • Ratzkifal
    Ratzkifal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That bear was probably put there because people can actually still prepurchase the chapter after having tested it on PTS, which means that there is a chance that people find out the chapter sucks and they won't prepurchase it, or purchase it at all for that matter. So in order to incentivise people to buy the chapter before you can test it, they add a little extra and remove it before testing and reveals are starting.
    If I had to guess why they do this it can only be a lack of faith in their own product. Otherwise there would be no reason for ZOS to do this as I don't think ZOS needs extra money up-front to keep the development going, like an indi-developer would, when subscriptions and crownstore got that covered for them all year 'round.
    This Bosmer was tortured to death. There is nothing left to be done.
  • TwinLamps
    TwinLamps
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I never yelled irl after they nerfed my sets, just was pretty sad.
    Veiled Heritance was pretty much one of my favorite sets ever in ESO, rework sadly killed this set.
    I still dont have heart to deconstruct my golden weapons and jewelry even though there is good chance this set will never again be anything but ESO's equivalent of paperweight lmoa af
    Awake, but at what cost
  • Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It’s a flaming bear cub that makes squalling baby noises — you didn’t miss anything! :lol:

Yeah, there are still lots of limited time stuff, but more things have been coming back and I feel so far a general improvement this year compared with the last two in regards to bringing things back and making different things available. :)
  • Mythreindeer
    Mythreindeer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    When the new era of gaming and MMOs arrive, it will flourish as it will cherish the most valuable aspect of everyones life. Time.

Err, what makes you so sure?

Also, agree with those who say never prepurchase. Disappointment usually follows.

• Thavie
    Thavie
    ✭✭✭✭
    That cub wasn't even unique, it was the lamest reward out of the whole pack, just a bonus for early preorder. And they did warn about it being time-limited. Many times. If you didn't get welwa though you need to file a ticket, support will help you with that.
    "We grew under a bad sun"
  • Lostar
    Lostar
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thavie wrote: »
    That cub wasn't even unique, it was the lamest reward out of the whole pack, just a bonus for early preorder. And they did warn about it being time-limited. Many times. If you didn't get welwa though you need to file a ticket, support will help you with that.

Returning player. Says it in the original post. So.. those of us who didn't have our ears to the ground for these warnings didn't really get it beaten into our brows.

Just like this STUPID festival stuff. [snip] I'm 2 out of 3 for the deadland's scorcher and I guess it will always be so now..

[Edited to remove Bashing]
    Edited by ZOS_ConnorG on April 4, 2021 3:46PM
  • Lostar
    Lostar
    ✭✭✭✭
    Essentially, the time constrained stuff whether it is in game activities or out of game purchases are always so newbie unfriendly.. it always feels like a CLUNKY HALF BAKED MESS trying to come back to this game.
  • cynicalbutterfly
    cynicalbutterfly
    ✭✭✭✭
    So far I all I see is a lot of whining over one pet. As for the mount, it took a few relogs to get that one to show for me. If it still doesn't show, you should contact customer support and not rant on forums before speaking to them. I could completely understand if they blew you off but as far as your post says, you didn't even speak to them first.
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just like this STUPID festival stuff. [snip] I'm 2 out of 3 for the deadland's scorcher and I guess it will always be so now..

You'll be able to get the third piece during New Life Festival. The Festival stuff is fine. [snip]

Edited by ZOS_ConnorG on April 4, 2021 3:46PM
  • robertthebard
    robertthebard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    When they destroyed a class identity to add a new one yelled from the top of my lungs.
    When they ruined sets like Veiled Heritance and Ravanger I yelled from the top of my lungs.
    When they kept adding more items into the game with only a paid plan to sate the inevitable I yelled from the top of my lungs.
    When they added OP sets every new patch making old ones outdated I yelled from the top of my lungs.
    When they locked content to a new chapter location I yelled from the top of my lungs.
    When they nerfed races that the major playerbase didn't play and buffed the ones that did I yelled from the top of my lungs.
    When the only way to get sets is through RNG rather than having other means I yelled from the top of my lungs.

The problem with MMOs is that it's one big FOMO machine trying to move one on to the next big thing to push profits. It does not want one to go at their own pace. It does not value ones time invested into the game.

Well, since MMOs, since their inception, were designed to keep players playing as long as possible, I'd say they already valued your time, it translates into dollars for them.
  • ThorianB
    ThorianB
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    [snip] The pet was a bonus to those who ordered the game Right away. Right away being in the first 6 weeks or so after the reveal. That is a bonus for early support of the chapter just like the mount is a bonus for pre release support. Early mer gets the cub.

Edited by ZOS_ConnorG on April 4, 2021 3:47PM
  • rpa
    rpa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I'll likely purchase the chapter from the 2nd sale. If still playing this gaem.
  • ZOS_ConnorG
    Greetings all,

After review we have had to edit or remove several posts for rule violations, mostly Baiting. Ensure when engaging in a discussion that you keep said discussion civil, constructive, and within the rules. If you see a post that is baiting in nature do not engage it with further hostility and instead report it for the moderators to review.

You are welcome to review the Community Rules here.
    Staff Post
  • Lostar
    Lostar
    ✭✭✭✭
    If it means anything to any of ya'll being disturbed by my 'attacks'... I am attacking the business practice; The money side of this game that doesn't even LIKE games.. they just like money.

The flame bear is a nice minion and it is one I want. I appreciate the time it took ARTISTS to design and render every element in this game; even the least desirable elements like the flame teddy. I HATE and I will always hate and rage and vent and rant against the money side of things that take advantage of artists; that exploit artists. Do you think the artists and programmers that bleed their time into this game get their just dues? They're not the ones that are bank rolling from all these toxic panic buying business models.

So I will rage. I will not see a manager. I will see the damn CEO and their grubby investors though.
  • Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If it means anything to any of ya'll being disturbed by my 'attacks'... I am attacking the business practice; The money side of this game that doesn't even LIKE games.. they just like money.

The flame bear is a nice minion and it is one I want. I appreciate the time it took ARTISTS to design and render every element in this game; even the least desirable elements like the flame teddy. I HATE and I will always hate and rage and vent and rant against the money side of things that take advantage of artists; that exploit artists. Do you think the artists and programmers that bleed their time into this game get their just dues? They're not the ones that are bank rolling from all these toxic panic buying business models.

So I will rage. I will not see a manager. I will see the damn CEO and their grubby investors though.

Now I don’t even understand what you’re raging against. What has the pay of the artists and programmers to do with the availability of this pet? I have no idea what their compensation is; certainly I hope it is good and I appreciate their work as well, but that seems unrelated to the topic at hand...

Is your argument that limited availability devalues the artists’ work? Love them or hate them, the radiant mounts seem rather more unique in looks and effects and by design are some of the rarer assets in the game. Does that devalue them? For some, the rarity increases their worth. I don’t subscribe to that and value costumes, mounts, pets, etc. on how much I like them or not, independent of whether everyone else or no one else has it, but to each their own.
    Edited by Araneae6537 on April 5, 2021 5:23PM
  • Lostar
    Lostar
    ✭✭✭✭

Now I don’t even understand what you’re raging against. What has the pay of the artists and programmers to do with the availability of this pet? I have no idea what their compensation is; certainly I hope it is good and I appreciate their work as well, but that seems unrelated to the topic at hand...

Is your argument that limited availability devalues the artists’ work? Love them or hate them, the radiant mounts seem rather more unique in looks and effects and by design are some of the rarer assets in the game. Does that devalue them? For some, the rarity increases their worth. I don’t subscribe to that and value costumes, mounts, pets, etc. on how much I like them or not, independent of whether everyone else or no one else has it, but to each their own.

Lack of understanding doesn't add anything to this discussion. Is it lack of understanding, truly, or just wanting to argue and try and change my mind on what I find enjoyable.... kind of a futile exercise, wouldn't you say? I'm ranting and shoving my viewpoint here, yes.. but I'm not discounting anyone for having a different view.

What I am trying to get at is that ZOS is raking in millions and the artists don't get an adjustment in salary dependent on how well their work sells. Do you enjoy their work or what the investors contribute to this game? Right now I'm really arguing against the way the world is ran but.. hey.. I'm an anti capitalist at heart. XD Now THAT is derailing my OP, oh arbiter of what is and isn't in context of the thread.
  • RunForTheHills
    RunForTheHills
    ✭✭✭

What I am trying to get at is that ZOS is raking in millions and the artists don't get an adjustment in salary dependent on how well their work sells. Do you enjoy their work or what the investors contribute to this game? Right now I'm really arguing against the way the world is ran but.. hey.. I'm an anti capitalist at heart. XD Now THAT is derailing my OP, oh arbiter of what is and isn't in context of the thread.

The artists, like the programmers and engineers, trade their time for a paycheck, health benefits, and maybe a 401K. Corporate profit sharing usually takes the form of an annual bonus. Sometimes they also give employees stock in the company. Many early Microsoft employees became millionaires this way. There aren't many independent artists that make good money. They are probably happy with the arrangement and you don't need to pity them.