The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Crash when quit/logout

Yueh72
Yueh72
✭✭✭
The game crash when i quit or logout via steam. But it don't without steam.
Edited by ZOS_Bill on March 28, 2021 6:10PM
  • Yueh72
    Yueh72
    ✭✭✭
    Ok, i solved it. Make a file repair in steam. It will uninstall the launcher. Then relaunch the game (always with steam), and it will re-install the launcher.

The game don't crash anymore after that.
  • Yueh72
    Yueh72
    ✭✭✭
    Update: it doing it again. Steam launcher is good to junk.

Edit : it begins to make crash with the bethesda launcher too. So it comes from the game itself.
    Edited by Yueh72 on March 27, 2021 7:36AM
  • ZOS_Bill
    ZOS_Bill
    admin
    @Yueh72

Have you tried completely reinstalling ESO as troubleshooting to resolve this crash?
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
  • Yueh72
    Yueh72
    ✭✭✭
    It continues to crash on quit/logout with steam after a full clean reinstall. But not with original launcher. So it comes from the zosSteamStarter.exe file. I'll make another try later under linux and not under windows to see if this occur again (maybe it comes from the OS).
  • ZOS_Bill
    ZOS_Bill
    admin
    @Yueh72

Here are some additional changes you may need to make to get the ESO launcher working correctly with Steam.

1. The .exe that Steam requires to be launched to be compatible with the Steam overlay is not actually eso.exe, but a file called "zosSteamStarter.exe". If your Steam library is "pointing" to the wrong .exe file, it won't launch from the library. The correct file "zosSteamStarter.exe" will usually be in the following directory:

Steam\Steamapps\Common\Zenimax Online

After locating "zosSteamStarter.exe", right click it to run it as an administrator. You may want to set it to permanently run as an administrator in your Compatibility tab. You can also create a shortcut to this .exe to use it more easily in the future; this is the .exe that must be run to access the Steam overlay and log your Steam play hours.

2. In order for "zosSteamStarter.exe" to log the information such as play hours properly, you may have to lower your Windows UAC (User Account Control) settings. Lowering User Account Control settings to the minimum will allow Steam to gather this data properly.

You also may be encountering an issue where the ESO Launcher is not being added to the Zenimax Online directory. The thread linked below has troubleshooting which can help resolve this issue.

SOLUTION: Steam Windows 10 "Elder Scrolls Online is preparing to install" crash at 100% downloaded
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
  • Yueh72
    Yueh72
    ✭✭✭
    I'll made some tests and found the origin. I made a reinstallation on linux, via steam, with the same addons activated. All works fine. The only difference is the OS, so i can say the problem comes from windows 10 wich seems to block the writng process in savedvariables files when the game is quitting or logging out.
    Edited by Yueh72 on April 13, 2021 5:59AM