The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Patch Going Wrong On Steam

ArchangelIsraphel
ArchangelIsraphel
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭
I'm having a great deal of trouble with the patch on steam. After reaching 25%, the launcher crashed- when trying to restart the launcher, I got a message stating that there was "An error, this is the wrong platform"

After closing steam, and restarting the computer, steam is now behaving as though I need to reinstall the game although both the main game and the PTS files are still present on my hard drive. Something about the patch has caused steam to cease recognizing that the game is even present on my computer. I have never had this problem before and have always been able to patch and run the game without any trouble on steam.

Is anyone else who uses steam having this problem?

Is there any way to fix this? I'm concerned, as I don't want a re-installation to delete things like screenshots and mods that I want to keep.
Edited by ZOS_Bill on March 8, 2021 6:20PM
Legends never die
They're written down in eternity
But you'll never see the price it costs
The scars collected all their lives
When everything's lost, they pick up their hearts and avenge defeat
Before it all starts, they suffer through harm just to touch a dream
Oh, pick yourself up, 'cause
Legends never die
  • linuxlady
    linuxlady
    ✭✭✭✭
    i use steam on linux and it installed for me though it did take some time.

sorry for the trouble you are having. probably best to go to steam forums for help with that.
    Edited by linuxlady on March 8, 2021 4:33PM
  • ArchangelIsraphel
    ArchangelIsraphel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    linuxlady wrote: »

sorry for the trouble you are having. probably best to go to steam forums for help with that.

I'm not really sure the steam forums will help as it seemed to be a problem with the games launcher that caused this
    Legends never die
    Legends never die
  • Linaleah
    Linaleah
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    yeah, my steam update took forever, but it did eventually update ok, so I wish I could help OP, but no idea what is causing it for you :(

was actualy watching this thread cause when i first noticed it, my update was at 19% and kinda made me worried there.
    dirty worthless casual.
    Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. Guard your honor. Let your reputation fall where it will. And outlive the ***
    Lois McMaster Bujold "A Civil Campaign"
  • linuxlady
    linuxlady
    ✭✭✭✭

I'm not really sure the steam forums will help as it seemed to be a problem with the games launcher that caused this

did you try the repair function
    ???
  • ArchangelIsraphel
    ArchangelIsraphel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

???

I can't use the repair function on the launcher as the "play" button on steam itself is blanked out after the launcher crash and says "Install" even though the game is still installed. Something within the update seems to have caused steam to cease to recognize the games files after the launcher crash...the two appear to be conflicting somehow
    Legends never die
    Legends never die
  • ArchangelIsraphel
    ArchangelIsraphel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Linaleah wrote: »
    yeah, my steam update took forever, but it did eventually update ok, so I wish I could help OP, but no idea what is causing it for you :(

was actualy watching this thread cause when i first noticed it, my update was at 19% and kinda made me worried there.

Thanks for your concern, both of you. It's pretty frustrating...I've resorted to just reinstalling as there seems to be no other choice at this point x.x;
    Legends never die
    Legends never die
  • ZOS_Bill
    ZOS_Bill
    admin
    @ArchangelIsraphel

Please keep us updated on whether completely reinstalling helps with getting the patch to update through Steam.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
  • linuxlady
    linuxlady
    ✭✭✭✭

???

I can't use the repair function on the launcher as the "play" button on steam itself is blanked out after the launcher crash and says "Install" even though the game is still installed. Something within the update seems to have caused steam to cease to recognize the games files after the launcher crash...the two appear to be conflicting somehow

i hope i'm wrong but i am concerned about a potential hardware failure. you should be able to update the installation location in steam. i have a partition just for steam so that my several installs of linux im messing with can all use that partition as a centralized location and i update it with every linux i install. But i guess you are reinstalling already so it's too late to try that... sorry i'm wigged out over all the changes. my crafting routine is obliterated and i'm just unable to focus very well right now...
  • ArchangelIsraphel
    ArchangelIsraphel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

???

i hope i'm wrong but i am concerned about a potential hardware failure. you should be able to update the installation location in steam. i have a partition just for steam so that my several installs of linux im messing with can all use that partition as a centralized location and i update it with every linux i install. But i guess you are reinstalling already so it's too late to try that... sorry i'm wigged out over all the changes. my crafting routine is obliterated and i'm just unable to focus very well right now...

I don't think it's hardware failure to be honest. I did try what you said and the strange thing was, that although steam was recognizing the installation location for every other game, and even had ESO's installation location listed, it was acting like it wasn't there at all. The other games are fine though, so I doubt its anything as severe as hardware failure.

Totally understandable that you're feeling a bit rattled by the update- I am too, to be honest. It's quite bewildering to be faced with how much has changed and to know that your 810 CP account is suddenly...nerfed of some very basic functions until you level it again x.x
    Legends never die
    Legends never die
  • karekiz
    karekiz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Steam user here - worked for me

Windows OS
  • RedMuse
    RedMuse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Steam/Windows here. It worked, but it took near on forever. Much longer than even a chapter patch takes.