Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 15
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
In response to the ongoing issue, the North American PC/Mac megaserver is currently unavailable while we perform maintenance. https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656543/temporarily-taking-down-the-pts-the-pc-na-live-server

Is it just me, or is the game hyper expensive - DLC required for Stable Gameplay

GEN_ZOOL
GEN_ZOOL
I'm relatively new to ESO as an actual Player.
While I've heard many things about it, nobody covered how expensive the game would be for the Full Version.

In the United Kingdom, we use the Great British Pound.
So, one would expect a game to cost about £20-£40 to start with.
Problem 1, it's over £70.
So, you would expect, for £70 that you're getting rather a lot.
Sure enough, when you read the Description, it sounds wonderful.
Problem 2, what you're reading in the Description is only talking about some of the game and what you can potentially get.
So you buy the game thinking you've got the Full Version of the Game.
WRONG.
You've now got 12% of a Game, there's still Additional DLC to get.
So you decide to go and buy the remaining DLC for the game.
Problem 3, you have to buy Crowns, an In-Game Currency.
In some Countries, this is where the Lawyers start crawling from out of the wood-work.
In some Countries, this starts walking on eggshells as In-Game Currency is either unregulated or poorly regulated.
So assuming your Country allows you to buy In-Game Currencies, you have to accept that you've spent money on something that is unregulated.
Problem 4, in the Event that you experience a fault, or otherwise decide that ESO is not for you, you may only get part of the game refunded.
So let's assume that you've already decided, that you like the game and accept that the entire purchase is unregulated, GREAT, you've now got ESO.
Back to buying the missing DLC.
Problem 5, you've purchased Crowns for the game, and being as Economic as you can, you've purchased 21,000 Crowns.
This means that you've just spent £109.99 GBP for these.
Problem 6, you haven't bought enough Crowns to get the rest of the DLC you need.
So you buy even more Crowns, again, another £109.99 GBP.
Problem 7, you find you're still short on Crowns, not by much, but by some.
So you spend another £109.99 GBP on Crowns, thinking that you can get a few extras later on.
You've built you're Character, but you wasn't too happy with the Choice of 'Alliance' and 'Race' Limitations.
You see the 'Any Race, Any Alliance' Pack available, and think, where was this when I needed it.
Problem 8, This costs even more Crowns, as does every other Upgrade.
So you decide, you're here to stay, so you want access to everything that's available.
So yet again, you buy even more Crowns, and yet again, at the cost of £109.99 GBP.

Now, pause, how much money is that?
£439.96 GBP in 'In-Game' Currency on top of the £70 GBP you already spent.
Over £500 GBP on one game, and then you learn that it's still a work in progress.

So you try to think Backwards a little, you remember seeing a thing for 'ESO Plus' and wonder, would that have been cheaper?
The answer is, technically, no.
Explanation;
It's rather simple really, ESO Plus is nothing more than a Contract.
HOWEVER...
In a Phone Contract, you pay for several Months, and in the end, you own the Phone.
If you choose to stop paying the Contract when it finishes, you have a Phone that you can still use.
In the case of ESO, that doesn't apply.
Your purchase of the game at over £70 was actually a Deposit.
If you buy ESO Plus, you get temporary access to the DLC.
However, once your Subscription is done, you lose access to the Game's DLC.
Thus, you have to either pay more money, or stop playing the game.
If you're planning on playing the game for 10 Years, this is going to cost you over £1000 GBP
Thus, it becomes more cost effective to buy the game DLC Separately.

Now, continue, you now try to play the game with your friends.
Problem 9, you Game Data and their Game Data do not match.
You have a different level of access than those on you friends list.
You experience many issues with your game, and find that the game simply doesn't work with your friends.
From not being able to interact with their Characters in order to Trade Items, to not being able even be seen by your buddy's.
Problem 10, you've just been accused of Cheating because your Character is Invisible.
This has been caused by desynchronisation as they don't have the same matching Data as you.
Problem 11, assuming that you get lucky and manage to explain the situation successfully, you still can't play with them.
Problem 12, they can't afford it, and you can't afford it either.
Let's face it, not many people have got that sort of money just lying around, and what if they've got more than just one person on their Friends List.
This means, in order for everyone's Game Data to match, you have to fork out £439.96 per Player just to play the game.

By this point, if you can't play the game with your friends, then you think, what's the point.
Is any game really worth paying thousands of pounds for.
Moreover, is it worth risking buying the game for people on your friends list, when you don't really know them that well.
Obviously, no, it isn't worth buying a game for people you hardly know.
£10 or £20 is one thing, but £500 GBP is more than what some people get paid per month.
That's a whole month's money even to me, and I wouldn't really say that I was all that poor.

So you want a Refund because their's no fun to be found in playing a game on your own.
Problem 13, you remember how to payed for the game.
Unregulated Currency, even more insecure than Bitcoin.
In most Countries, In-Game Currency is not refundable.
Assuming you get lucky, a Refund will take several months to be processed due to the nature of the Refund.

I like Skyrim, and have it on several Platforms.
I thought I'd like Elder Scrolls Online, but I can't play it with anyone on my Friends List, so I haven't got much chance.

Company Policy Destroying what could have been not just a Good game but a Great Game.
Due to a lack of Regulation, the Company Heads have taken advantage of the situation, thus have taken a Game and redefined it.
ESO is no longer a Game, just a means of making money, the Shareholders have ruined it.

It's a shame really, I was really looking forward to it.
All the adventures, the great scenery and being able to play a game that everyone can agree on for once.
It just a pity that the game is run by Shareholders and not by anyone who actually has any love for the game.
  • ErMurazor
    ErMurazor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ?
  • RedMuse
    RedMuse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ErMurazor wrote: »
    ?

Seconded. All I got from it was that game costs money and yes, I agree it does.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Soul Shriven
    Hello everyone,

With this thread containing bashing and seen as a quitting thread, we're going to go ahead and close it down. For further posts be sure to stay constructive and respectful with the Forum Rules in mind to avoid thread derailment.

Thank you for understanding.
    Staff Post
This discussion has been closed.