The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

PTS Update 28 - Feedback Thread for Vateshran Hollows Arena

ZOS_GinaBruno
ZOS_GinaBruno
Community Manager
This is the official feedback thread for Vateshran Hollows. Specific feedback that the team is looking for includes the following:
  • Was the arena fun? Which was your favorite part, and why?
  • Did you complete the entire arena?
  • Did you find anything interesting?
  • Do you have any other general feedback?
Edited by ZOS_GinaBruno on September 21, 2020 7:09PM
Gina Bruno
Senior Community Manager
Dev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter | My Twitter
Staff Post
  • Aliyavana
    Aliyavana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Visually speaking, the Hunter's Grotto is the least daedric prince feeling of the arenas. The other ones, The Brimstone Den and The Wounding feel like the deadlands and coldharbour, but hunter's grotto could use those orange flowers from the Marsh of Sacrifices to make it scream Hunting Grounds.

The final minotaur boss in the Hunter's Grotto is acting funny, its like it is delaying the grappling points

Im talking about these orange flowers
    yhrtopsngnah.png
    Edited by Aliyavana on September 25, 2020 1:41AM
  • CyberOnEso
    CyberOnEso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Was the arena fun? Which was your favorite part, and why?
    This is probably the best piece of content you have ever put out.
    This is the best content you have ever put out. That last boss is amazing. The arenas look beautiful. The mechanics are vaired and intereting.

You have hit the nail on the head with this one. The amount of secrets and stuff there is to explore is really great.

The last boss has to be the best, if you wanted a satisfying end to your dark heart of skyrim, well you have it right there.

Did you complete the entire arena
    Yes, I must have cleared it ~20 times on vet thus far, and don't plan on stopping.
    khcS0YI.png
    I am looking forward to the week two buffs that I would believe are coming. There are just too many things that seem like they should one shot that just don't.

Did you find anything interesting?
    The secrets are interesting, the side bosses take too long to get to and I feel the buffs they provide are not worth the time spent on killing them.

A few things I feel could be improved
    1. Grappling, the desync makes the entire hunters grotto wing not fun to play
    2. I feel like going for the secrets is a massive waste of time in most runs, mostly because you need to always walk back, if you could add a portal back to where you started the secret path I feel they would be utilized a lot more.
    3. Sometimes heavy attacking the lava orb fails to register. This is with doing a fully charged heavy attack.
    4. Resetting the arena doesn't work if you are in the middle of a run, you can abandon the quest and it won't care.
      With regards to this I would really love a better way of resetting instances, there really should be a button or a chat command you can use to reset arena's/ trials
    5. The hunters grotto wing seems overturned in general compared to the other wings.

The scoring system!
    At the moment, to my knowledge you need to kill everything to get the maximum possible score. This is simply not fun, you have developed an amazing arena where you can come up with creative ways to skip past certain enemies and complete the place really quite fast. This leads to some really exciting gameplay where you are pushing yourself to beat it as fast as you can.

But the way the score is handled now you need to kill everything to get the highest possible score, even the side bosses, which take so long to get to that it completely ruins the potential of doing the arena as quickly as you can.

I would really ask you to reevaluate how the scoring works, in my opinion it should be based off of time, minus sigils used.
    Edited by CyberOnEso on September 23, 2020 10:46AM
    @CyberOnEso PC | EU - Jack of all Trades - Armory Style Manager Planesbreaker | Godslayer | Dawnbringer | Immortal Redeemer | Tick Tock Tormentor | Gryphon Heart
  • VixxVexx
    VixxVexx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The amount of lag makes this arena undoable. Stuff from simple synergies and grappling hooks have 5s delays. Imagine trying to dodge things during boss fights.
  • VixxVexx
    VixxVexx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here are some videos of the lag. It's absolutely impossible.
    https://streamable.com/ckrofr
    https://streamable.com/ky24qg
  • Scritchel
    Scritchel
    ✭✭✭
    Very laggy right now. Grapple bows are rubber banding or not going off. Adds and bosses just sit in place spin in a circle.
  • MyNameIsElias
    MyNameIsElias
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Like others have reported, it is indeed very laggy at the moment. I am not sure if that is because i am from EU or not, but i had several issues with being teleported back and forth when using the grappling hook inside the Hircine Arena.

I highly enjoyed the concept and look of the new arena. It is challenging enough for me as an endgame player, and the final boss just looks so badass :)

Did you complete the entire arena?

Yes, i completed it on veteran on my first try in 1 hour 50 minutes, and 0 vitality. Most being on the final boss.

I found health buffs in the fire arena, and it was a pleasant surprise to see a side objective carrying over to the final boss fight.

Do you have any other general feedback?

In the fire arena, is there any reason to go to that one hidden Iron Atronach boss besides getting an extra chest to loot? It is nice to be able to explore, but i am unsure if i might have missed something in there.

Also i noticed something, in the fire arena when you heavy attack the orbs to get lava immunity, you have to be close to the orbs to get the protection. I had a few cases where i heavy attacked the orb with a staff from a distance and didnt get the buff.

Great work guys, this is the content i like to see :)
  • karekiz
    karekiz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    • Was the arena fun? Which was your favorite part, and why?
    • Did you complete the entire arena?
    • Did you find anything interesting?
    • Do you have any other general feedback?

1. Yes. I like the new direction the Arena was. It feels almost similar to a solo trial. The ability to skip mobs is insanely fun, and brings up the ideas of using stealth to bypass mobs for a quicker clear.
    2. Yes on Vet
    3. Yes the Hidden stuff is very fun.
    4. Some bosses were kind of weird, particularly the mino. I felt I still don't 100% understand his invuln stage trigger/de-trigger. But he couldn't kill me and eventually just hopping around in the brief bits I killed him <Interruped all mobs>.

One annoying bug on final boss. The hook shot will bounce you BACK onto the main platform thus instantly killing you. It felt totally random when it happened. Definitely not fun, and keyboard smashing on no death.
  • AndyMac
    AndyMac
    ✭✭✭✭
    I only had time to clear the fire arena and down to the Minotaur in the second arena on vet. Agree with others- the grappling hook mechanics are buggy for sure.

Generally it’s fun thus far - not as hard as vMA when it dropped

Update on this when I was able to head back in after work - the grappling hook mechanic is just plain broken and it makes this wing unplayable. I could only actually get to the Minotaur boss once after many attempts to use the grappling hook along the pathway - then I crashed at the boss.

I've done the Titan wing and the Fire wing on vet - pretty cool, but I can't complete the Minotaur at all even after restarting the quest :(

I want to clear first, then I'll look for the hidden stuff.
    Edited by AndyMac on September 22, 2020 12:46PM
    Andymac - Magicka DK - EP Grand Overlord - Flawless Conqueror
  • Disturbed125
    Disturbed125
    ✭✭✭

My initial impression upon first entering and starting the arena I honestly thought it was boring. However, after progressing through it I do think once the bugs are fixed it'll be fun to run. My favorite part of the entire arena is the design that lets you challenge the portal bosses in any order you choose. I like that depending on the order you choose can completely change how the arena feels and plays,

Yes, twice on veteran (233k, ~46m, 11/15 vit on 2nd run)

Yes, saw the side areas, haven't actually gone and done the side challenges yet but found the paths.

Most of the boss fights I found fairly straight forward and fun (though the green portal boss needs the grapple fixed ASAP). However, the red portal final boss's brimstone fire mechanic isn't very clear and I never did figure out how that fight was suppose to work even though I cleared it at max strength.

Kudos to the person/people who designed the final boss, I enjoy how it rewards completing the side islands cleanly with a shorter boss fight. My only complaint with this fight is that because you're in motion so much during the fight its hard to keep track of where the side islands are while you're doing damage to the main boss. Same with finding the exit portal when coming back to the main fight.

[PC NA] -Chaos Riders-
    Flawless Conqueror - Boethia's Scythe - Mageslayer - Ophidian Overloard - Shehai Shatterer - Divayth Fyr's Conjugator - Voice of Reason - Dro'Mathra Destroyer - Blackrose Executioner - Bringer of Light - Extinguisher of Flames - Xalvakka's Scourge
    Trifectas
    Mountain God - Leave No Bone Unbroken - Apex Predator - Pure Lunacy - Depths Defier - Relentless Raider - The Unchained (1st NA / 2nd World) - Immortal Redeemer - Nature's Wrath - Defanged the Devourer - Tick Tock Tormentor - Gryphon Heart - Dawnbringer - Bane of Thorns - True Genius - GodSlayer - Privateer - Coral Caretaker
  • monkey36948
    monkey36948
    ✭✭✭
    The middle arena every time i pull the first bristleback guardian the one guarded by the blessed spriggan my game completely crashes

also less so to do with the arena but the removal of animation cancelling a heavy attack is the clunkiest this game has felt in a while from the segment i played part of the fun of this game for me is the faster paced combat of ESO that isn't as much of a thing in other MMO's
  • Sindarin
    Sindarin
    ✭✭✭
    Yesterday I killed the first boss in Wounding arena, I did nothing more, had to left the game, today when I back there, i hadnt any portal, there is a bridge on the right but even if i can see it i couldnt get through it coz it was like there wasnt any texture; I get rid of quest, port out, change to normal, port in, then i port out again, change on Vet and once more port in, now, even if i dont have quest, NPC dont have it for me too, im in the same place where i was before (i have no idea how to reset that arena anyhow), and the only way i can see is make new toon and start all over :/
  • rockreborn
    The arena was pretty fun apart from too much grappling. Even without the lag, grappling is very clunky and not fluid.
  • Moloch1514
    Moloch1514
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @ZOS_Finn Please remove grappling hook mechanics which do not work in a typical laggy instance. They are not fun even when no lag, and infuriating during a cheesy boss fight with standard ESO laggy combat scenarios.
    PC-NA
  • Ambrokid
    Ambrokid
    ✭✭✭
    I concur the Grotto/Grappling makes that portal unplayable. I have to grapple to a platform 4-5 times before I’m actually there.

Additionally, and perhaps this is more combat related (yet to test outside of the arena), when I cast the Atronach ultimate for Sorcerers, it uses my ultimate but doesn’t actually cast the pet.
  • LickingHistSap
    LickingHistSap
    ✭✭✭
    Final boss is literally impossible to do as a tank. You cannot do enough dps to kill the shade fast enough, so you're dead the moment the Void Trap attack starts. This is ridiculous, since the rest of it was fairly well balanced up until then.
  • karekiz
    karekiz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Final boss is literally impossible to do as a tank. You cannot do enough dps to kill the shade fast enough, so you're dead the moment the Void Trap attack starts. This is ridiculous, since the rest of it was fairly well balanced up until then.

That isn't true. You just have to build yourself around DPS, but you can be a tank:

oofb5zalt4ch.jpg

Gear - PFG/Maw/Medusa. Remember this is a solo arena not a tank challenge you do have to build a survival build - not a tank one.

Bar setup:
    Blockade / Crit surge heal / Clannfear / Inner Light / Bound Aegis
    Conduit / Crushing Shock / Clannfear / inner light / Bound Aegis

Tri stat food/potions.
    Edited by karekiz on September 22, 2020 4:50PM
  • LickingHistSap
    LickingHistSap
    ✭✭✭
    karekiz wrote: »

That isn't true. You just have to build yourself around DPS, but you can be a tank:

oofb5zalt4ch.jpg

Gear - PFG/Maw/Medusa. Remember this is a solo arena not a tank challenge you do have to build a survival build - not a tank one.

Bar setup:

Tri stat food/potions.

You shouldn't have an instant kill DPS check in the first place, thats the dumbest *** in existence. The rest of the trial was fair to do on my tank, but the moment Maebroogha hits 80 I automatically lose because only DPS players matter in everything, I guess.
  • LickingHistSap
    LickingHistSap
    ✭✭✭

oofb5zalt4ch.jpg

Bar setup:

Tri stat food/potions.

You shouldn't have an instant kill DPS check in the first place, thats the dumbest *** in existence. The rest of the trial was fair to do on my tank, but the moment Maebroogha hits 80 I automatically lose because only DPS players matter in everything, I guess.

Just expanding on this point, what does Void Trap actually DO besides just make the dungeon impossible to complete for certain builds? Its extremely easy to get around if you're a DPS player, so it's not even a problem for them. Meanwhile, if you're a tank or healer, it's literally impossible to get out of unless you use the weapons buffs and also get really lucky and are also only on normal. All this does is artificially limit who can actually COMPLETE the trial, which is infuriating because I spent an hour and a half having fun on my tank, making my way through the dungeon, only to hit a wall on the final boss because it has an impossible-to-avoid DPS check mechanic.

None of the other bosses are like this, and I was enjoying finally being able to go through a trial on my main. Maebroogha's void-trap mechanic is absolutely broken and needs to be changed. At least let us avoid it using the grapples or something.
    Edited by LickingHistSap on September 22, 2020 5:03PM
  • karekiz
    karekiz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Just expanding on this point, what does Void Trap actually DO besides just make the dungeon impossible to complete for certain builds?

It does multiple things:
    1. It gives choice - Can I burn boss before this kills me to push next phase, or do I need to break the link and get away. This is a good fight adaption one in which allows a player on demand to adjust to a situation, based solely on their ability and build.
    2. It forces players to adapt their build to the encounter. You didn't adapt it seems and got punished for it.

If you REALLY want to test - Try testing with teleports or streaks - I haven't yet, but if the link works like every other link in dungeons you can simply blink by it.
    Edited by karekiz on September 22, 2020 5:16PM
  • LickingHistSap
    LickingHistSap
    ✭✭✭

Just expanding on this point, what does Void Trap actually DO besides just make the dungeon impossible to complete for certain builds?

It does multiple things:
    1. It gives choice - Can I burn boss before this kills me to push next phase, or do I need to break the link and get away. This is a good fight adaption one in which allows a player on demand to adjust to a situation, based solely on their ability and build.
    2. It forces players to adapt their build to the encounter. You didn't adapt it seems and got punished for it.

If you REALLY want to test - Try testing with teleports or streaks - I haven't yet, but if the link works like every other link in dungeons you can simply blink by it.

The first one is fair, but that would still apply to escaping by using the grapples if you don't trust yourself.

For the second, you shouldn't have to learn a completely new build solely to get past a single dps check when the rest of the dungeon can be easily accomplished with your current one, when the thing you're adapting for is just 'you prefer tanking as opposed to DPSing when soloing content but there's a dps check in the very last 5 minutes of the hour and a half of content you just completed", especially not on Normal. At least put a DPS check at the start so I know not to waste my time next time.

Also, I'm a dragonknight stamtank, what streaks or teleports can I even use?

EDIT: The larger problem I've had for a while can be summed up as: Why are endgame tank and healer solo builds always ignored in favor of solo dps players, what is a solo tank main supposed to do when ZoS keeps doing this.
    Edited by LickingHistSap on September 22, 2020 5:32PM
  • karekiz
    karekiz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Also, I'm a dragonknight stamtank, what streaks or teleports can I even use?

You can try https://eso-skillbook.com/skill/corrosive-armor - No idea if it would work /shrug.
    Edited by karekiz on September 22, 2020 6:11PM
  • Jaimeh
    Jaimeh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It was overall fun, the three different realms design made it visually and mechanics-wise interesting. I didn't explore all the pathways, so I'm sure I missed some hidden surprises. My favourite moment was actually a mistake on my part: I went on the wrong way in the 'Mehrunes Dagon' arena, and thought I had to traverse lava with no boost. So I spent a good 15 minutes coming up with ways to do it, and I did manage to travel the whole lava path, before realizing I was on the wrong way :D

Yes, I completed the arena on veteral mode.

I found some bugs/glitches along the way:

1) On the Minotaur boss (the last boss of the Hircine realm), the grappling hooks rubber-band the player. The boss also exhibited this behaviour (he jumped back and forth and back across platforms). Also, if you fall between the platforms, but use the grappling bow, you'll be pulled up, but will land dead on the platform. I think this is because the area below the platforms that marks you as dead is too high, if that makes sense.

2) The same rubber-band issue with the grappling hook happened also on the final boss, so that when you tried to jump to the mini islands, you'd be pulled back to the main area and wipe since it was filled with the boss' AoE mechanic.

3) The AoEs of the last boss are not clearly visible (I couldn't adjust enemy brightness on the PTS, but even with that I think they wouldn't be very well discernible). It would be good if they would be indicated more boldly. I died to her ground attack even when I couldn't see anything on the ground.

The difficulty of the three realms is low compared to the last boss, even with the condition that difficulty is raised for sequential realms. It's a very steep spike in difficulty, even compared to the third realm boss, which is not bad, just feels very disanalogous. Mechanics-wise, the traversing methods were a fun touch, and broke the monotony. However, the mechanics seemed to me more like World Boss mechanics, and less than arena mechanics.
  • Scritchel
    Scritchel
    ✭✭✭

I suggest to change two achviments in there:
    High Flyer: Grapple 500 times
    Trapped Between Worlds: Spend 10 mins affected by wounding portal

These are just boring and time wasting achviments. I think there could be something a lot more creative made for them.
  • TheImperfect
    TheImperfect
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I haven't finished yet but have completed Mehrunes and Molags which I thought were both fun interesting. I like the hircine one and I'm still working on the minotaur. I have been experiencing being ported back after grappling (I love grappling - even just for the hell of it, fun) and at one point he was just undamageable and so I grappled a lot and he became damageable again but I kept getting bounced back on the grapples. If there was something else I'm supposed to do it wasn't obvious to me. I will have another go at it, I left it because I wasn't sure if it was working right as intended or if the server was just busy or my internet had died.
  • Kurat
    Kurat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Last boss is insanely more difficult compared to other bosses. It needs to be toned down imo. I was only able to finish it when cheesing with the new ring of the pale order lol. First 2 islands go smooth but when all 3 done then all adds attacking makes it impossible to survive. If I go full dps then I'm dead. If i build more tanky then get overwhelmed with adds and their mechs. Its probably easier with sorc, I was magden. I get that vet supposed to be challenging but does it have to be so insane that people gonna smash their hardware or end up in hospital lol?
    People who think vMA last boss is hard, well you have no chance of clearing this one. I can do vMA flawless ez but had to cheese this one after raging for 2 hours there.
  • themaddaedra
    themaddaedra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    CyberOnEso wrote: »
    This is probably the best piece of content you have ever put out.
    This is the best content you have ever put out. That last boss is amazing. The arenas look beautiful. The mechanics are vaired and intereting.

You have hit the nail on the head with this one. The amount of secrets and stuff there is to explore is really great.

The last boss has to be the best, if you wanted a satisfying end to your dark heart of skyrim, well you have it right there.

Did you complete the entire arena
    Yes, I must have cleared it ~20 times on vet thus far, and don't plan on stopping.
    khcS0YI.png
    I am looking forward to the week two buffs that I would believe are coming. There are just too many things that seem like they should one shot that just don't.

The secrets are interesting, the side bosses take too long to get to and I feel the buffs they provide are not worth the time spent on killing them.

A few things I feel could be improved
    1. Grappling, the desync makes the entire hunters grotto wing not fun to play
    2. I feel like going for the secrets is a massive waste of time in most runs, mostly because you need to always walk back, if you could add a portal back to where you started the secret path I feel they would be utilized a lot more.
    3. Sometimes heavy attacking the lava orb fails to register. This is with doing a fully charged heavy attack.
    4. Resetting the arena doesn't work if you are in the middle of a run, you can abandon the quest and it won't care.
      With regards to this I would really love a better way of resetting instances, there really should be a button or a chat command you can use to reset arena's/ trials
    5. The hunters grotto wing seems overturned in general compared to the other wings.

The scoring system!
    At the moment, to my knowledge you need to kill everything to get the maximum possible score. This is simply not fun, you have developed an amazing arena where you can come up with creative ways to skip past certain enemies and complete the place really quite fast. This leads to some really exciting gameplay where you are pushing yourself to beat it as fast as you can.

But the way the score is handled now you need to kill everything to get the highest possible score, even the side bosses, which take so long to get to that it completely ruins the potential of doing the arena as quickly as you can.

I would really ask you to reevaluate how the scoring works, in my opinion it should be based off of time, minus sigils used.

Completed 20+ times? Dude how can you even..? I went in yesterday, first two rings went somewhat ok but in Hunter's Grotto i got stuck. That grappling bow just doesn't work. I tried Rahdgarak fight about 15 times, but got thrown back whenever i used the bow, and got weird desynced deaths like ones you get in Cyrodiil. I gave up.

Today i went in again. First 15 mins spent to be able to enter the arena because as soon as i enter, i drop down and get stuck below the ground. Relogging few times finally fixed this. Then i went back to Rahdgarak, for more annoyance apparently. If i stay put like 5 seconds after using grappling bow it won't throw me back. But i can't stay put for 5 seconds when i need to dodge the boss. And all those dodgings went straight down to the void.

I was really excited for this arena, as it's the kind of content i like. But after 2 days of sweat all i feel is frustration. Maybe i'll go again if they fix it in the next weeks, but for the moment frustration is my only feedback. I envy you tho, keep going!
    PC|EU
  • job_man
    job_man
    ✭✭✭
    Add a reset button, it sucks having to wait 5 minutes every time you die to reset for a no death run.
  • DovahkiinHeart
    DovahkiinHeart
    ✭✭✭
    It would have been more fun if the grappling hooks were not bugging out and there was no lag.

Finally got past hunter's grotto because 85% of the time the stupid grappling bug kept resetting me back to the previous platform. I honestly don't see much helpful feedback you can on this whole arena if 1/3 of the boss fight is almost impossible to that issue. At least I know the mechanics of the fight now <_<

Please fix the grappling hooks and the platform issue in the hunter's grotto fight. It is extremely frustrating especially because the bug causes you to die over the most asinine reasons.

Update: I am stuck at this part. I cleared the green and the red portal, and right before I have to face the Iozu boss, I left the game to do something and when I come back, I can't walk on this bridge:

Screenshot

When I tried to, I would fall and die to environmental damage. I'm not sure if this is a visual error or if I need to do something else first, but this is bugged and I cannot progress further.
    Edited by DovahkiinHeart on September 24, 2020 1:54AM
  • ecru
    ecru
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My character is permanently stuck on the last boss of the instance. The (dead) boss continually spawning void flameshapers after I killed her and the lightning bolt is constantly dropping on me, so I cannot teleport out. Logging out and logging back in does not fix this problem. Abndoning the quest and logging out does not fix it either. Dying and wayshrining just respawns me on the platform over and over and over again.

Please do not push unfinished/untested content to PTS like this again. Only a third of this instance even works and now my main is stuck permanently in this instance and now I can't test any of the content at all from here on out unless I make a new character, which I'm not going to do.
    Gryphon Heart
    Godslayer
    Dawnbringer
  • Kurat
    Kurat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    ecru wrote: »
    My character is permanently stuck on the last boss of the instance. The (dead) boss continually spawning void flameshapers after I killed her and the lightning bolt is constantly dropping on me, so I cannot teleport out. Logging out and logging back in does not fix this problem. Abndoning the quest and logging out does not fix it either. Dying and wayshrining just respawns me on the platform over and over and over again.

Please do not push unfinished/untested content to PTS like this again. Only a third of this instance even works and now my main is stuck permanently in this instance and now I can't test any of the content at all from here on out unless I make a new character, which I'm not going to do.

I got stuck at 2 other bosses like that. Boss is dead but it doesn't register. Doors closed and only way is to abandon the quest, port out and wait for reset.