Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 15
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
In response to the ongoing issue, the North American PC/Mac megaserver is currently unavailable while we perform maintenance. https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656543/temporarily-taking-down-the-pts-the-pc-na-live-server

how to play eso without killing or thieving?

• ZOS_Volpe
    ZOS_Volpe
    admin
    Greetings all,

We have recently removed some rude and baiting commentary. We would like everyone to keep posts on the subject at hand, civil, and constructive.

Thank you for your understanding.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
  • TheShadowScout
    TheShadowScout
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also, something slightly on topic - Always remember how things could end up:
    gQQNVC4.jpg
    :p;):lol:
  • snoozy
    snoozy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    go play animal crossing
    PC EU
  • Veinblood1965
    Veinblood1965
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm more interested in why the OP doesn't want to kill or thieve. Talking about NPC characters? Mobs? Just to try something different? A challenge? Personal morals? I think with that context lacking it's hard to answer except it's not possible for Mobs. As far as NPC characters it's quite possible with a few exceptions and several quests you can't finish. and like others stated just don't join the two evil guild lines.
    Edited by Veinblood1965 on March 2, 2020 6:18PM
  • Linaleah
    Linaleah
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Linaleah wrote: »
    Sylvermynx wrote: »
    Magenpie wrote: »
    bmnoble wrote: »
    Magenpie wrote: »
    bmnoble wrote: »
    I am assuming you mean Murdering or stealing, those are completely optional, stealing though you may still do on accident due to the way random stuff is placed in towns.

If you meant killing as in you don't want to kill anything at all, try puzzle games, get a deck of cards instead maybe.

Why? This is an RPG. If the OP wishes to wander the world without killing things, why can't they give it a go. Stop the gatekeeping. People can play how they bloody well like.

So I gave a realistic response based on how the game actually is and not based on a marketing slogan to get people to buy the game.

Even if you played stealth the mobs in the game are placed to get in your way and force you to kill them on almost every single quest objective in the game, this is not a single player RPG with a no kill route built into it and those are few and far between even in single player games, simple reality is your going to have to kill enemies to actually play the game and enjoy the lore if you into that.

Sure they can skip the tutorial to avoid killing anything there, sure they could go out and explore the world running from every enemy mob, they could gather mats, to sell in guild traders, to make gold and do daily crafting writs to make more gold.

Sure you could run around healing people in Cyrodiil or dungeons but it will take a very long time to reach a high level and groups tend to like the healer to do some damage not necessarily a lot but some.

There are very few quests that don't have killing enemies as part of it, either as part of the quest or in the way of the quest objective.

Playing without killing enemy mobs will prevent you from doing a lot of the content and to me that would defeat the purpose of having bought the game for the most part.

Is it theoretically possible to play without killing anything yes, would it actually be fun due to stopping yourself from doing most of the content that attracts players to the game since the game was not built with that in mind? That is up to the player.

If you look at the title of the thread it's 'How to..' not 'Can I...' 'Should I...' The OP was asking for creative ideas to help them out, and instead of putting their brains to work, many people responded with grumpy negativity about whether this was the right game for them. This *is* the right game for them, as you've so rightly pointed out, it's up to them whether they want to play that way. Your rather snarky comment about packs of cards shows you weren't taking that position to begin with.

Yes, I quite agree with you.

Those who are denigrating the OP for "not wanting to play the game in the fun way".... really, people - there's not much fun in killing your way through a game (well.... unless you've all got "other issues").

It's really a total bummer that none of these games can provide an experience that goes beyond mindlessly killing the "bad guys".

I'd pay ten times my two subs for a game that could produce something besides "it's a daedra - KILL IT".

Elder scrolls game? or any game? because there are plenty nonviolent games or at least games that offer a non violent path. I'm not sure how possible it is to create an Elder scrolls game that doesn't somehow come around to combat of some sort. a puzzle game deciphering elder scrolls or something, or maybe archaeological expedition of sorts (though it seems like even those keep running into dwemer constructs, or various zombies or looters and whatnot)

that said... denigrating people who enjoy combat and realize that this is a video game not real life and all these npcs we kill are just pixels is no better then denigrating OP for trying to do something different.

its a video game. its not that serious.

They were not denigrating the people who enjoy combat. They were standing up for my right to ask a question and not be abused by people in their reply. Please understand the difference.

I guess i misunderstood this sentence then?
    really, people - there's not much fun in killing your way through a game (well.... unless you've all got "other issues")
    especially that issues part.

there is nothing wrong with your question and abuse for asking a question is wrong, period. but two wrongs do NOT make a right.

as suggestions have been made to you. skip most quests as they tend to require you to kill things. your options are exploration (that includes collecting of lorebooks), roleplaying, crafting, decorating.
    Edited by Linaleah on March 2, 2020 6:22PM
    dirty worthless casual.
    Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. Guard your honor. Let your reputation fall where it will. And outlive the ***
    Lois McMaster Bujold "A Civil Campaign"
  • thissocalledflower
    thissocalledflower
    ✭✭✭
    So i just did the cyrodiil traing mission with the seige weapons. Since i hadn't killed anything when i used the seige weapons, there was noting in my combat metrics tab but my restoration staff which hadnt been activated yet became activated. I was trying to find a lore book to activate and didn't kill anything up to that point. But someone said there are live people in the target dummies? im so confused
    After careful consideration (and oh! so much deliberation) we have concluded that you circumstance sounds too much like a l2p issue for it to be just a mere coincidence.
  • Hippie4927
    Hippie4927
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    So i just did the cyrodiil traing mission with the seige weapons. Since i hadn't killed anything when i used the seige weapons, there was noting in my combat metrics tab but my restoration staff which hadnt been activated yet became activated. I was trying to find a lore book to activate and didn't kill anything up to that point. But someone said there are live people in the target dummies? im so confused

LOL! That person was joking. There are no live people in the training dummies. Your hands are still clean. :)
    PC/NA/EP ✌️
  • thissocalledflower
    thissocalledflower
    ✭✭✭
    Hippie4927 wrote: »

LOL! That person was joking. There are no live people in the training dummies. Your hands are still clean. :)

i was so confused after i fired the catapult and it flashed on my screen gained restoration skill line.
    After careful consideration (and oh! so much deliberation) we have concluded that you circumstance sounds too much like a l2p issue for it to be just a mere coincidence.
  • TheShadowScout
    TheShadowScout
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    To add more fuel to the fire... what about the undead? Or dwemer contructs? Technically you are not -exactly- "killing" them...
    (Even though the game mechanics still count hem as "killing", duh, like in the case of siege engine practice targets)

But hey, there are some questings you can do without killing anyone. And not just crafting writs (though the ones that use leather... eeehhh...). So the notion of maybe wanting more quests like that... is not one that needs to be ridiculed!

As impossible that "no killing" would be in this game, it -still- could be made so you have more options!

For example, anyone remember a certain quest in a certain telvanni scums mine, where you can choose to throw sleepy gas bombs at the guards instead of murderdeathkilling them?

Why not add a whole range of alchemy "bombs" - all it would need is a third solvent class (Water for potions, fatty for poisons... maybe go with something else for "bombs") that lets people make consumable firebombs, poison bombs, smoke bombs... and perhaps also "snooze bombs" that will temporarily put NPCs to sleep allowing people a'questing to pass them by instead of having to figh 'em? Or "fear gas bombs" that sends 'em running in panic for a while (no copyright infringement with DC characters intended) Or perhaps even...
    200.gif
    1dmhrc.jpg
    :p;):lol:
    Sure, most wouldn't go through all that effort... but having the -option- would still be nifty, right?

Another possibility would be adding -way- more "disguise" options to areas. So that people who want to enjoy playing pacifist characters can go with more subterfuge instead of combat! Possibly even a new "speechcraft" option that allows disguised people that get spotted by a sentry a chance to bluff their way through that instead of the usual fight...

Another possible option could be one that allows your character to "surrender" to some enemies, especially when you get attacked by an civilian in town because you clicked without looking and inadvertedly stole an apple... going to the "pay your fine screen without also having to murder the civilian in self-defense because it happened in a building where you cannot just run away...
    (Or course, many enemies like undead wouldn't take surrenders... but bandits might, then tie up your character for later sale as slave, giving you a chance to escape... heck, that could be a whole minigame in cyrodil, taking enemy characters as "PoW" and leading them back to base for "interrogation" as a extra special warfront mission)

And I for one would also -love- it if we could throw food (or in a pinch, the deshaan "mystery meat" memeto) to distract wild animal type mobs like in that gobbo mine in Shadowfen...
  • Inaya
    Inaya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nerouyn wrote:

I'm vegan so yeah, I'd call that murder.

Well @Nerouyn you're wrong. Murder has a clear definition, and it doesn't involve ending the life of a non-human for sustenance. So Bears are murderers? Surely we know they are omnivores capable of getting their sustenance from plant life but they sure do like to eat other animals such as fish.

The answer is no, murder is legally defined as
    . the killing of a human being by a sane person, with intent, malice aforethought (prior intention to kill the particular victim or anyone who gets in the way) and with no legal excuse or authority.

Don't worry though we all know the reality of the situation is that you you simply couldn't resist talking about being a vegan on an MMORPG's webforum.

Bears don't like to eat other animals such as fish. Bear like to eat berries. They eat the fish because when they come out of hibernation there are no berries to eat yet but "LOOK! hey theres all these fish. Fish aren't berries but it sure beats starving to death waiting for the berries to bloom. Guess i'll eat some fish for now." And as soon as there are berries to eat they go eat them instead.

Wrong!

The bear is omnivorous
    The bear's diet consists of berries, grain, fish, insects, birds and mammals. The bear will hunt deer and moose and also feed on carcasses.
  • bclewis
    bclewis
    Soul Shriven
    Inaya wrote: »
    Nerouyn wrote:

Well @Nerouyn you're wrong. Murder has a clear definition, and it doesn't involve ending the life of a non-human for sustenance. So Bears are murderers? Surely we know they are omnivores capable of getting their sustenance from plant life but they sure do like to eat other animals such as fish.

. the killing of a human being by a sane person, with intent, malice aforethought (prior intention to kill the particular victim or anyone who gets in the way) and with no legal excuse or authority.

Don't worry though we all know the reality of the situation is that you you simply couldn't resist talking about being a vegan on an MMORPG's webforum.

Bears don't like to eat other animals such as fish. Bear like to eat berries. They eat the fish because when they come out of hibernation there are no berries to eat yet but "LOOK! hey theres all these fish. Fish aren't berries but it sure beats starving to death waiting for the berries to bloom. Guess i'll eat some fish for now." And as soon as there are berries to eat they go eat them instead.

Wrong!

The bear is omnivorous
    The bear's diet consists of berries, grain, fish, insects, birds and mammals. The bear will hunt deer and moose and also feed on carcasses.

The nitpick of the question was about what bears "like" to eat. I don't know the answer to that but you could test what they "prefer" to eat by putting piles of fish and berries near each other. Probably the answer is different depending on the particular bear.
  • Imryll
    Imryll
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In Skyrim I hate getting assault stats, so I only fight those who attack me first. Never getting the first blow makes things a little harder, but defending yourself isn't really "killing" even if the landscape is littlered with the corpses of those you aggroed. :D
  • Linaleah
    Linaleah
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    bclewis wrote: »
    Nerouyn wrote:

Wrong!

The bear is omnivorous

The nitpick of the question was about what bears "like" to eat. I don't know the answer to that but you could test what they "prefer" to eat by putting piles of fish and berries near each other. Probably the answer is different depending on the particular bear.

if one goes by bear that lives in the woods behind our house? they apparently prefer to eat human garbage and bird seed O_O. he goes right past our strawberry patch, ignores our raspberries and beelines for neighbor's trash cans (cause hours are harder to get into). he did try for honey, but electric fence around the hives discouraged him (its not a strong current that can genuinely harm, we have actualy tested on ourselves, but it IS very unpleasant). bird feeders? stinker broke 2 so far >_>

bears are weird, man....
    dirty worthless casual.
    Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. Guard your honor. Let your reputation fall where it will. And outlive the ***
    Lois McMaster Bujold "A Civil Campaign"
  • max_only
    max_only
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did someone already link this?

https://www.reddit.com/r/elderscrollsonline/comments/4ib0bw/introducing_esos_first_nokill_vet/

Pacifist ESO playthrough from before 1Tam
    #FiteForYourRite Bosmer = Stealth
    #OppositeResourceSiphoningAttacks
    || CP 1000+ || PC/NA || GUILDS: LWH; IA; CH; XA
    ""All gods' creatures (you lot) are equal when covered in A1 sauce"" -- Old Bosmeri Wisdom
  • thissocalledflower
    thissocalledflower
    ✭✭✭
    So here's a thing. I just got the bthark prism while not killing or healing, only going into stealth and using pots as needed on my toon. Vimy and Neramo did all the damage until someone else showed up and finished off the Artisan whoever.... got credit for the quest got no kills on my record. Sweet. took a while i had to reset it two times before i realized vimy and neramo cant both be down AND me invisible or the Artisan resets his health. would have had him that time but glad for the other person who came in and shortened up that battle quite a bit...
    Edited by thissocalledflower on March 10, 2020 2:59AM
  • Ectheliontnacil
    Ectheliontnacil
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Anhedonie wrote: »
    Imagine that you just knock people out instead of killing them.

^This.

Arm yourself with maces if stamina, this will add to the imagination of knocking them out instead of killing them with a sharp weapon. This is also somewhat true, because all "killed" NPCs are back (respawned) in some minutes.

If magicka, knock them out with your magic or your staff.

Or equip the broom. Can't kill anything with a broom right?
  • MEBengalsFan2001
    MEBengalsFan2001
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Coatmagic wrote: »
    You can get to max level without killing or thieving.

You will not be able to do very many quests, and you will have to limit your helping to healing, but it can be done.

*Do not do the Cyro intro quest as there are people in the target 'dummies'

You bring along a friend for quest that can be shared and have them do all the killing for you. :smile: Problem solved.
  • Milli_Rabbit
    Milli_Rabbit
    ✭✭✭
    BoraxFlux wrote: »
    What do you want to achieve in game?

You could try farming nodes, treasure chests, crafting writs, fishing, sell stuff, crafting, housing, grouping up with others that don't mind you only heal & buff.

Dress to escape, e.g. invisibility potions, swift potions.

Fish lives matter!
  • thissocalledflower
    thissocalledflower
    ✭✭✭
    BoraxFlux wrote: »
    What do you want to achieve in game?

You could try farming nodes, treasure chests, crafting writs, fishing, sell stuff, crafting, housing, grouping up with others that don't mind you only heal & buff.

Dress to escape, e.g. invisibility potions, swift potions.

Fish lives matter!

I like your style.
  • thissocalledflower
    thissocalledflower
    ✭✭✭
    Rulantiril was forced to stay with crow mother since i am playing on kill no theft and ill i had to do was subdue him. Also was able to pay the toll with silver things to the crows... First time i ever made those choices... All the bosses and the group events in dungeons though remain untouched. No way around that. That will be quite a few skill points unearned.
  • FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Mages Guild daily quests shouldn't really count as thieving.

And most public dungeons should be sneakable, although getting the skill point from them wouldn't work without killing.
  • Inaya
    Inaya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    URL won't work :(
    Edited by Inaya on March 10, 2020 2:13PM
  • Sylvermynx
    Sylvermynx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    URL won't work :(

Are you talking about the reddit discussion linked in post #105? It loaded fine for me....
  • JKorr
    JKorr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Coatmagic wrote: »
    You can get to max level without killing or thieving.

You will not be able to do very many quests, and you will have to limit your helping to healing, but it can be done.

*Do not do the Cyro intro quest as there are people in the target 'dummies'

You bring along a friend for quest that can be shared and have them do all the killing for you. :smile: Problem solved.

Might not work, depending. Quest in Coldharbor; get the lamia eggs without killing any of the bosmer. I seem to recall grouping with someone who did kill one of the rangers, and I got the notice that I failed not killing any bosmer.... I think the grouping made it count.