The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

Animation cancel is not a bug

ForzaRammer
ForzaRammer
✭✭✭✭✭
Go watch some league of legend or dota2 tournament. Animation cancel is everywhere.

Nothing wrong with eso design combat similar to games popular back then.

And there is everything wrong with designing eso similar to a turn based game from the 90s.
  • Donny_Vito
    Donny_Vito
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you for the confirmation in a new post.
  • gatekeeper13
    gatekeeper13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Ok. Anything else?
  • Coppes
    Coppes
    ✭✭✭✭
    Now describing a game without AC as a turn based game is wrong in so many ways.

There are a plethora of MMOs where AC is implemented properly. ESO is not one of them.
    Edited by Coppes on January 31, 2020 2:26PM
  • aubrey.baconb16_ESO
    Animation cancel is no longer considered to be a bug.

It was a bug on release but adopted as a feature when it became apparent on how difficult it was to change, and also how many users where enjoying using it.
  • Coppes
    Coppes
    ✭✭✭✭

It was a bug on release but adopted as a feature when it became apparent on how difficult it was to change, and also how many users where enjoying using it.

Bug made feature = still a bug
  • Aznarb
    Aznarb
    ✭✭✭✭✭

pretty much this
    [ PC EU ]

[ Khuram-dar ]
    [ Khajiit ]
    [ Templar - Healer ]
    [Crazy Gatherer & Compulsive Thief]

• Nemesis7884
    Nemesis7884
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    listen you can argue for keeping it and thats completely fine...but saying its not a bug and intended is just silly and dishonest.
  • zShepplin
    zShepplin
    ✭✭✭
    The best part is that out doesn't matter because after 5 years it's not going to change. Long live animation cancelling. Feels good, is good.
  • AgaTheGreat
    AgaTheGreat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    giphy.gif

Edited by AgaTheGreat on January 31, 2020 2:52PM
    PS4 EU Aga_The_Grey - retired | PC EU AgaTheGreat
  • Paramedicus
    Paramedicus
    ✭✭✭
    AC is bug which was accepted as part of gameplay in some games, where other avoid AC being possible (while in design-stage or remove it when it occurs).

Whole idea is still regarded as controversiall (not by everyone ofc) so this topic fails to make a point (if point was to close discusions about it).
    PC EU
    /script JumpToHouse("@Paramedicus")

↑↑↑ Feel free to visit my house if you need to use Transmute Station or Trial Dummy with buffs (look for Harrowing Reaper) ↑↑↑
  • Brandathorbel
    Brandathorbel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Go watch some league of legend or dota2 tournament. Animation cancel is everywhere.

And there is everything wrong with designing eso similar to a turn based game from the 90s.

it is a bug, Zos even stated it was not intended but they couldnt fix it so they left it in. No matter how hard you guys try, it was NEVER intended to be part of combat.
  • Raisin
    Raisin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I had some me real good stuff to say regarding the topic but then I realized it'll be much more efficient if I put my response in its own new thread! Keep an eye out!!!
    Edited by Raisin on January 31, 2020 3:02PM
  • Rake
    Rake
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It takes maybe a month of dedication to make animation canceling very efficient tool for an average player. But that requires more effort than not doing anything at all but crying about how its unfair, wrong, broken or whatever excuse some people use as shield for more than likely being lazy.
  • ForzaRammer
    ForzaRammer
    ✭✭✭✭✭

There are a plethora of MMOs where AC is implemented properly. ESO is not one of them.

Are any of them nearly as popular as league or dota2?
  • ForzaRammer
    ForzaRammer
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Not a bug to begin with, was intended in moba, it would also be intended in eso.
  • ForzaRammer
    ForzaRammer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    xbobx15 wrote: »

it is a bug, Zos even stated it was not intended but they couldnt fix it so they left it in. No matter how hard you guys try, it was NEVER intended to be part of combat.

And your evidence of this?
  • ForzaRammer
    ForzaRammer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    listen you can argue for keeping it and thats completely fine...but saying its not a bug and intended is just silly and dishonest.
    Vast majority of moba players knows this is a feature
  • Coppes
    Coppes
    ✭✭✭✭

And that matters, why?
  • Coppes
    Coppes
    ✭✭✭✭

Not a bug to begin with, was intended in moba, it would also be intended in eso.

And that’s not a reason either.
  • Sylosi
    Sylosi
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Funnily enough DOTA 2 just shows why ani cancelling in ESO is a low skilled joke.

DOTA 2 has proper animation cancelling, if you cancel on the front-swing it cancels the skill, the skill only gets cast if you cancel on the backswing. So this raises the skill cap of the game because it limits the window you can cancel in (if you want to cast the skill), plus enables your opponents (if they are good enough) to react to your front swing animation. again raising the skill cap.

Where as in ESO you can generally cancel ridiculously early into a skill so have a huge window to cancel in (low skilled). Plus you often produce no meaningful animation / before inflicting damage, so in PvP your opponent can't react to animations on many skills that get cancelled, which means they have to resort to guesstimating what they think their opponent will do based on their build, class, etc. Which is typically what less skilled players who struggle to read animations in games with proper ani cancelling rely on.

Edited by Sylosi on January 31, 2020 3:20PM
  • Anotherone773
    Anotherone773
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I believe its called a "Featured Bug" and yes it is ridiculous that it is a "thing". One should not need to use such gimmicks and work arounds to properly play a game. It.is.just.bad.game.design.
  • snoozy
    snoozy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Raisin wrote: »
    I had some me real good stuff to say regarding the topic but then I realized it'll be much more efficient if I put my response in its own new thread! Keep an eye out!!!

^^

i wonder how many threads we can get within just a week :#
    PC EU
  • ForzaRammer
    ForzaRammer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sylosi wrote: »

Funnily enough DOTA 2 just shows why ani cancelling in ESO is a low skilled joke.

DOTA 2 has proper animation cancelling, if you cancel on the front-swing it cancels the skill, the skill only gets cast if you cancel on the backswing. So this raises the skill cap of the game because it limits the window you can cancel in (if you want to cast the skill), plus enables your opponents (if they are good enough) to react to your front swing animation. again raising the skill cap.

Where as in ESO you can generally cancel ridiculously early into a skill so have a huge window to cancel in (low skilled). Plus you often produce no meaningful animation / before inflicting damage, so in PvP your opponent can't react to a animations on many skills that get cancelled, which means they have to resort to guesstimating what they think their opponent will do based on their build, class, etc. Which is typically what less skilled players do who struggle to read animations in games with proper ani cancelling.

I don’t disagree with the ‘dota2 system is better’. However that’s not the focus. This post is ‘AC not a bug’.
  • ForzaRammer
    ForzaRammer
    ✭✭✭✭✭

And that matters, why?

Because that ‘proper’ is ur opinion, not a well established standard. And my focus is not if eso done it good, it is ‘AC not a bug’.
  • ForzaRammer
    ForzaRammer
    ✭✭✭✭✭

And that’s not a reason either.

Sure w/e, state more opinion without evidence and argument.
  • Dark_Lord_Kuro
    Dark_Lord_Kuro
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It is a bug and a completely stupid one at that
  • ZOS_Ragnar
    ZOS_Ragnar
    admin
    We have closed this thread as there is already an active discussion about Animation canceling. If you would like to continue to discuss this subject please do so in this thread: Animation Cancelling the most important issue?
    The Elder Scrolls Online - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
This discussion has been closed.