The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
The maintenance is complete, and the PTS is now back online and patch 10.0.1 is available.

Original post by SnikerPKK: Stamina Nightblade Issues in PvP

Nyladreas
Nyladreas
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭
ALL CREDIT GOES TO @SnikerPKK this is a repost in order to catch the eyes of Devs on PTS as Sniker makes some excellent points with much of insight.
SnikerPKK wrote: »
Hello everybody,
this thread aims to list and explain all of Stamina Nightblade issues in PvP many which also affect Magicka Nightblade more or equally as much.
Due to the newly introduced "ability standardization" I will also compare skills/passives and explain the disadvantages of being a Nightblade compared to almost every other class in the game.
To hopefully make the combat devs see it and understand the issue with the class/meta more.
If you know of any more issues that have not been listed here then go on and comment them down below, we can discuss anything here.

Feel free to cry your souls out about how badly Nightblades have been massacred as this post serves as a safespace for all hurt cloakblades.
We dont judge here, just insult understand eachother.

A NOTE FOR ALL YOU FORUM WARRIORS: I AND MANY OTHERS WILL DISCREDIT/IGNORE EVERY COMMENT OF USERS WHO CLEARLY DID NOT READ THE ENTIRE POST.

Lack of damaging buffs/debuffs on skills
Compared to other stamina specs, stamina nightblades are in a huge disadvantage when it comes to having their damage amplified.
Stamina Wardens have Major Fracture built on top of their offGCD burst ability that is also AoE, Stamina Necromancers have Major Defile built on top of their burst ability that is also offGCD, given Major Defile is a pressure debuff but debuffing healing results in doing more damage in the longer run and preventing your enemy from recovering is very important especially this patch where healing is extremely overtuned.
Mark surely exists but for how empty the skill is it's not worth wasting your barspace for it if you could put a much more impactful skill there such as: Shadow Image, Shuffle, Leeching, Executioner or Camohunter basically provides about the same amount of damage but also gives you Major Savagery, 3% more weapon damage and doesn't have to be reapplied constantly. Also applying the skill leaves a huge mark on your opponent making you even more predictible with your next move.
The Major Berserk part from Reapers mark also does not work with how Nightblade plays as you will never be able to take advantage of the buff. Cause as soon as a Stamblade kills a player it needs to escape and reset which takes much longer than 5seconds.

When you compare Nightblade and Warden further you're going to notice an even bigger gap between how much damage the classes can put out.
For example Warden receives Minor Berserk on Bird of Prey and Minor Vulnerability on a Dot which is arguably one of the strongest damage debuffs in CP PvP because of how damage formulas work in this game.
Now before you say that Nightblades also have Minor Vulnerability on a skill, I have to stop you there because ambush in comparison to Growing Swarm is a super buggy, telegraphed, clunky and impactless skill that no build usually has barspace for. It slows down your gameplay and opens a huge burst window for your enemy to punish.
Here is an example of that:
ezgif.com-video-to-gif.gif
Keep in mind that ranged classes can punish you even harder for using this skill, which can turn this skill into a deathtrap.
The worst thing about this skill is the charge up animation before you jump on your opponent.

About Death Strokes 20% damage buff, I will mention it later and explain how terrible it currently is.

Class being very turn based with no good stun available
In comparison to any other class who also tries to kill with Burst, Nightblades burst ability is very lackluster.

The biggest advantage of Wardens/Necromancers/Sorcerers burst is that their burst abilities are offGCD which means a player can put out much more damage within 1 GCD bringing him much closer to executing their target after a combo.
Other classes who do not posses an offGCD ability have been previously brought in line with a stun on their Ultimates such as Leap or Incapacitating Strike which allowed for a further follow up before executing.
While Dragonknights still posses such an ability, it was ripped off from Nightblades kit making their burst easily avoidable and in majority of situations just not enough.

With the class' nature being bursty and having no pressure outside of it's burst abilities, it's important that the Nightblade lands some or all of it's burst skills, otherwise he/she wont be able to kill their target. Yet that is simply impossible when after each GCD your enemy has another GCD to react to the burst thrown at him.
To land your Death Stroke, Grim Focus and to execute you need at least 3 to 4 GCDs. After your ultimate has been thrown out to take advantage of the damaging buff your enemy has whole 3 to 4 seconds reaction window in which he can simply just start holding block negating all of your damage, rolling once or twice or activating any of his recovering skills.
This whole issue only gets much bigger considering Death Stroke is delayed by 400ms and Grim Focus by 270ms(due to it being a slower projectile).
3 seconds in a fight feels like minutes, months sometimes years.
No other burst class has to deal with it as they can simply line up their burst ability with their Ultimate resulting in sometimes gigantic damage output.

The delay on both your burst skills is also the reason why Mass Hysteria/Turn Evil(Both AoE Fear abilities) are so bad on Nightblades currently. Breaking Free takes 40-75ms which after you can instantly start holding block or start rolling making the follow up after a Fear impossible on a player who knows what he is doing.
Offbalance gained from Tactician is the only stun that Stamblades crutch on currently and with next patch changes to offbalance, the future looks even worse for Stamblades as their success currently relies on how strong Offbalance is. A mechanic that isn't even included in their kit.

Nightblade currently feels much like playing Pokemon with your enemy, you do one skill, he does one skill, you do one skill, he does one skill, you do one skill, he does one skill, etc.
All the issues mentioned above is also the reason why the 20% damage buff from Death Stroke is currently so impactless, as you either use it to execute your enemy after an offbalance heavy attack into Incap or don't use it at all. All of this is extremely unhealthy and is not how the class is supposed to be played.

Skill/Passives Comparisons and how impactless Nightblades kit is
Let's take a look at the Assassination Tree and compare it with the Two-Hander Weapon Tree, Zenimax said Class skills should always be better than Weapon skills right?

Incapacitating Strike vs Onslaught
Onslaught's tooltip is bigger by roughly 8%, the debuff effect applies on the initial hit and the skill allows you to not invest anything into penetration gaining absurd amounts of more damage over Incapacitating Strike.

Incapacitating Strikes damage debuff does not apply on the initial hit, the skill animation becomes seemingly slower at 120 Ultimate and the skill Silences which prevents you from fearing your enemy making the skills which provides no stun simply better.
The Reave passive also only equals to roughly 10 to 30 regen in a 5 minute or longer fight.

Killer's Blade vs Executioner
Executioner has a higher base tooltip, higher damage build up, has a smoother animation and is much easier to execute with considering how strong healing which makes it so easy to escape the 25% HP mark.
Killer's Blade's healing is extremely pathetic and underwhelrming too, making this skill pointless to equip over Executioner.
And before you write that it can be equipped on a Dual-Wield frontbar build I want to ask you one thing: Who in their right mind plays Dual-Wield frontbar this patch? Off-Meta builds are completely irrelevant to me as they do not represent the strength of a class.

Executioner vs Battle Rush
Considering that Killer's Blade is a much worse execute ability than Executioner(The 2h Execute) putting this passive already in a disadvantage over Battle Rush.
Battle Rush procs off of any kill and 30% more recovery for 10 seconds is much more sustain Fthan some pathetic 2k stamina.

Now this trend continues on the Magicka side too for example when we compare Elemental Drain to Mark you can see how empty Mark is, while Elemental Drain also provides a huge sustain buff, Mark is simply empty. And, how will you even manage to take advantage of the Mark healing if your class doesn't have enough damage to kill anything over 30k HP which seems to be the vast majority of the playerbase nowadays.

Overall the Assasination Tree's passives are underwhelming, take for example Master Assassin which it's only redeeming value is having a atmospheric sounding name, the 10% weapon damage out of stealth is completely irrelevant with how little damage it provides to your combos.
And while other classes receive passives such as Advanced Species, Rapid Rot or Amplitude, Nightblade gets Pressuring Points... Which it's purpose is to...? Be completely meaningless to Nightblades?
Even Major Savagery on skills such as FOO from DK which gives more crit chance than this passive with the entirety of Assassination tree slotted.
This leaves us with only one decent passive in this Tree for both the Magicka and Stamina spec, which is hemorrhage which the Templars and now Wardens also own now :joy::joy::joy::joy:
With the damage buff of this passive not even being any good due to the existance of Transmutation or Impreg which is widely considered the best defensive set currently with whole 30% critical damage mitgation. Nowadays you have builds running around who completely mitgate the entirety of your critical damage and this passive does not help.
At least change it to be critical healing too like the Wardens will have next patch.... :joy:

Now when you look at the Damage buff/debuff issue above you can also safely say that Nightblade is the only class without a single impactful damage amplification method that wouldn't starve the user of barspace and potentially ruin the functionality of the build.

Offensive windows and delayed damage
Stamblade works much differently with it's offensive windows than any other class, while other classes have their offensive windows judged by how much damage they can take on face to face, Stamblades offensive window depends on how much pressure it has on the enemy.
No defile on Incapacitating Strike and the current tank meta where people can simply go above 27k HP and not care about a Stamblades burst makes it is close to none which makes the delays put on Incapacitating Strike and Grim Focus much worse. Stamblades need to hit their burst and establish dominance over their enemy quicker than ever before and need much more damage to do so as well. And that is in the current patch close to impossible. Holding up the pressure without Defile or a decent stun makes holding that pressure impossible as well. 1 roll, 1 good block or 1 vigor completely negates the entirety of a Nightblades kit.

It can go 2 ways: after a landed Incapacitating Strike or Onslaught that's when your offensive window ends as you fail to put out enough damage to put your enemy on defense OR your Offbalance Heavy Attack into Ult near oneshots your enemy. Is this any healthy ?

For now I will leave it at that and probably update it with more issues in the future. DISCUSS!

Edited by Nyladreas on January 27, 2020 8:10PM
  • Nyladreas
    Nyladreas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Please keep this discussion open if you care and agree with the points above.

Nightblade is seriously in a bad spot and needs a new breath of life or some radical changes to bring the class back up from the gutter.

@SnikerPKK thanks for letting me repost this.
  • nublife01
    nublife01
    ✭✭✭✭
    ^this 1000%
  • nublife01
    nublife01
    ✭✭✭✭
    Most stamblades have just rerolled to another class. I've played stamblade since the beta release of this game and finally just made a stamsorc to do the same because of how bad it is. I don't think any other class has been gutted as much as nightblades have in the history of this entire game.
  • Jimmy_The_Fixer
    Jimmy_The_Fixer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Would love to see a general buff to nightblade offensive capabilities alongside a reduction to the in-combat utility of stealth.
    Edited by Jimmy_The_Fixer on January 27, 2020 8:16PM
  • Yiko
    Yiko
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Reposting my updated comment from the other thread. I might make a separate topic later regarding the off-balance changes.

Sniker is absolutely right. Stam NBs' offensive window has been utterly shredded.

We've lost Major Fracture on Surprise Attack, lost Minor Berserk on Relentless Focus, lost Major Defile on Incap, lost the stun on Incap, gained a cast time on Incap, gained cast time on Relentless Focus (which has since been reduced some), lost several debuffs on targets that protected against purge, lost significant delayed burst in the form of the pseudo execute Poison Injection (since they changed the core functionality of the ability, redistributing value to what is a more or less worthless portion of the ability for more skilled/combo-oriented players), and are now losing uptime on Off-balance (which is used for the 10% damage from the Exploiter CP and also as a means to CC a target with immediate follow up damage). I maybe missed some stuff, too.

On top of that, other classes are tankier than ever before, since healing is through the roof and sword-n-board blocking is a low user input but extremely effective defensive option at the moment that NB in particular has difficulty dealing with.

As Sniker mentioned above, other classes have an easier time bursting than NBs do (please note that bursting implies an accompanying CC). For example, Stamplars can fill up a POTL to pop (and crit now!) while they're bursting. Wardens can pre-Shalk to time with their burst. Necros can time Blastbones to go off with their burst (when they behave properly.. ALSO HAS MAJOR DEFILE). These are all supplements to burst windows OFF the GCD. Classes like StamDK don't have the delayed burst, but they DO have class DoTs and a powerful ultimate that also stuns the target to allow for follow up damage. NBs are missing both the delayed burst and the powerful, offensive stun alongside offensive buffs/debuffs. Stamblades' burst combo generally takes more set-up and skill to pull off than other classes, and they have to take 1-2 more GCDs than other classes to actually get their burst off in a smaller kill window, which makes all the difference when going for a kill attempt. In addition, it's worth noting that NB sustained pressure is also low in PVP.

The PTS off-balance changes honestly make zero sense to me. They've essentially pigeonholed builds into playing around off-balance stun, and now they're severely restricting it? What do they expect builds to do for CC during burst opportunities when off-balance is on its long cooldown? It's already a tank meta, and most people can't afford to drop damage from their bars for CC (we're pretending that every class has options for good CC, too). Also, the applications of off-balance are nowhere near equal. Stamina NBs have been applying off-balance through Tactician CP passive for years now, and it hasn't been a problem afaik. Applying off-balance through Tactician CP requires more timing, finesse, and resources than the SPAMMABLES (like Dizzying/Birds) that they changed to apply it in the previous patch. Because off-balance became more ubiquitous due to laughable design choices, NBs and other builds that used Tactician (and armor sets like Truth) are going to suffer collateral damage without ANY kind of power redistribution when they're already suffering offensively. The one thing that people complained about in regards to off-balance was how much resource restore a player could receive through heavy attacks on an off-balance target, and on the current PTS, they made it so that your heavy attacks no longer remove the off-balance, so you can get double the resources from your heavy attacks multiple times! WHAT? They really need to re-evaluate these off-balance changes. They could lower the length of the off-balance effect while reducing the cooldown of it to match the duration of CC immunity.. or something like that.

Also inb4 people say to slot Mark/Ambush. My bars generally look like this:
    Front: Surprise Attack, Rally, Relentless Focus, Camo Hunter, Fear/Executioner, Ult: Incap
    Back: Shade, Vigor, Poison Injection, Shuffle, Cloak, Ult: Undo, Ballista, or Soul Siphon

Mark is a low value ability that simply cannot fit into a competitive build. I already have a difficult time choosing between Fear and Executioner. Wardens have Major Fracture on their off-GCD burst, and sDK's have Major Fracture on their AOE class DoT. THOSE are worth slotting for various obvious reasons. Mark? Not so much.

Ambush is garbage ability for reasons that Sniker mentioned (on top of gap closers being generally unnecessary, especially for small scalers on wood elves + bow builds). It's ironic that it applies Minor Vulnerability, since it's so telegraphed that it leaves the caster vulnerable.

The NB offensive window shrinkage really needs to be addressed. The fluidity of the playstyle has taken an enormous hit, especially with the addition of cast times and the tentative PTS off-balance changes.
  • p00tx
    p00tx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    This is really well-written and I hope the devs actually listen to it. Stamblade needed to be toned down a tiny bit, but they waaaaay overshot the mark and now it feels lackluster and pretty underwhelming to play on, both in PvP and PvE. They've become good for nothing but bow gank farming from stealth, and even then, the only way they can pull it off is to exploit the snipe desync bug. They're just not fun or effective any more.
    Edited by p00tx on January 27, 2020 8:55PM
    PC/Xbox NA Mindmender|Swashbuckler Supreme|Planes Breaker|Dawnbringer|Godslayer|Immortal Redeemer|Gryphon Heart|Tick-tock Tormentor|Dro-m'Athra Destroyer|Stormproof|Grand Overlord|Grand Mastercrafter|Master Grappler|Tamriel Hero
  • Deathlord92
    Deathlord92
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As I said in sniker original post he literally covered everything I would of brought up I completely agree with everything here and really hope the devs read through all of this.
  • ESO_Nightingale
    ESO_Nightingale
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    i hope NBs get the love they need.
    PvE Frost Warden Main and teacher for ESO-U. Frost Warden PvE Build Article: https://eso-u.com/articles/nightingales_warden_dps_guide__frost_knight. Come Join the ESO Frost Discord to discuss everything frost!: https://discord.gg/5PT3rQX
  • Ranger209
    Ranger209
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The tank meta makes it difficult for all classes to secure kills not just nightblades, think you're barking up the wrong tree. This looks like more of a 1 v X thing than a stamblade thing. My stmablade has become one of my favorite classes for PvP recently, but I don't 1 v X, and he gets kills better than most of my other classes.
  • Lord-Otto
    Lord-Otto
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Hm. Would you nightblades be okay with increasing your damage at the cost of defense? As in, removing the bow's silly mitigation "buff", the removal of the max health passive or even duration reduction or cost increase on Cloak?
  • Nevasca
    Nevasca
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tbh they could reintroduce incap stun back. It was strong because it was a heavy hitting skill with a stun you could animation cancel, I can see why the devs would have a problem with that.

But now with a cast time, makes sense to buff the skill to compensate since it wasn't even strong before the cast time changes. Also *** that silence pls remove that *** it *** up your combos.
    Edited by Nevasca on January 28, 2020 2:33PM
  • JobooAGS
    JobooAGS
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lord-Otto wrote: »
    Hm. Would you nightblades be okay with increasing your damage at the cost of defense? As in, removing the bow's silly mitigation "buff", the removal of the max health passive or even duration reduction or cost increase on Cloak?

Yes
  • Lord-Otto
    Lord-Otto
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    JobooAGS wrote: »

Yes

Okay. Fair.
  • killingspreeb16_ESO
    killingspreeb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭

And how this would fix anything?

The class need a buff because is in a bad state,"yeah let's buff them and nerf them at the same time".

Unless the buff outweight the nerf.

Edited by killingspreeb16_ESO on January 28, 2020 3:17PM
  • Nerftheforums
    Nerftheforums
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Absolutely, that's how it should be honestly. There is not need for nbs to have the Grim focus mitigation, and the hp passive could easily be replaced by something else.
  • Lord-Otto
    Lord-Otto
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

The class need a buff because is in a bad state,"yeah let's buff them and nerf them at the same time".

I just wanna find out who wants to improve nightblades by fine-tuning their tools and who wants to get a plain buff to everything and make them OP again.
  • Lord-Otto
    Lord-Otto
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Absolutely, that's how it should be honestly. There is not need for nbs to have the Grim focus mitigation, and the hp passive could easily be replaced by something else.

Agreed.
  • killingspreeb16_ESO
    killingspreeb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭

I just wanna find out who wants to improve nightblades by fine-tuning their tools and who wants to get a plain buff to everything and make them OP again.

But currently the class is lauckster if you buff X and Nerf Y you might just move the issue and fix nothing.
    If the class was doing great but needed a rebalance then that way of thinking is fine.
    Even though this is what they tried to do in elsweyr.

For starter remove the cast time from incap,it's just too unreliable,this is the thing that make the class feel bad most of the time.

• Lord-Otto
    Lord-Otto
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

But currently the class is lauckster if you buff X and Nerf Y you might just move the issue and fix nothing.
    If the class was doing great but needed a rebalance then that way of thinking is fine.

For starter remove the cast time from incap,it's just too unreliable,this is the thing that make the class feel bad most of the time.

It's lackluster because the damage it should have isn't there. Take defense to add to the damage and the class will work. Asking for both, good damage and defense, is just asking for overpoweredness.
  • killingspreeb16_ESO
    killingspreeb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭

It's lackluster because the damage it should have isn't there. Take defense to add to the damage and the class will work. Asking for both, good damage and defense, is just asking for overpoweredness.

Again before NB was squishy but with great damage,people complained.
    ZoS took away dmg as a trade for defense and here we are,asking for it to be reverted basically.

Also class like magika sorcerer/magplar(for example) have both offense and defense are we going to change other class that have both aswell?
    Otherwise the argument offense or defense(that is actually fair)will not make much sense.

Edit:for example how would you change the NB class?
    Edited by killingspreeb16_ESO on January 28, 2020 4:26PM
  • ZOS_Volpe
    ZOS_Volpe
    admin
    Hello all,

With there already being a thread opened on this subject here, we're going to go ahead and close this one down.

Thank you for understanding.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
This discussion has been closed.