The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [IN PROGRESS] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Can DK Inhale Skill Get Some Love

Beavisaur13
Beavisaur13
✭✭✭
Nobody uses this skill for PvP or PvE. The only thing this skill is useful for is the heal when fighting large groups of mobs, but you will never see this skill on any sort of build. I think maybe we just need a damage buff, something in the realm of warden scorch for the final explosion. Trade off being you can spam the skill for the heal, but have to wait for the damage, also change deep breath morph to Stam. Either way the skill needs something else to make it on someone's bar for pvp or pve.
Edited by Beavisaur13 on January 27, 2020 6:50PM
  • BohnT2
    BohnT2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The skill is frequently used in PvP on magdks.
    Deep breath can be used in PvE environments to interrupt multiple mobs like in vMoL twins
  • MaskedHuman
    MaskedHuman
    ✭✭✭
    BohnT2 wrote: »
    Deep breath can be used in PvE environments to interrupt multiple mobs like in vMoL twins

There's barely any magdks in pvp now, and those who are pvping don't run deep breath because it doesn't hit for enough and it barely heals, you're better off using engulfing flames than using deep breath.

they need to bring back the old heal on deep breath, and bring back talons that actually rooted.
    EP MagDK - Former emperor, Magplar - The Flawless Conqueror, StamDK - The merciless, Stamden - The merciless, MagNB, The merciless.
    DC MagDK (Main) The Flawless Conquerer, StamDK - The Flawless Conqueror, Stamden - Former emperor, Stamsorc - The merciless, Stamblade - The merciless, StamDK - The merciless, Stamplar - The merciless, Stamnecro, The merciless.
  • Beavisaur13
    Beavisaur13
    ✭✭✭

I've never seen anybody use this skill, when playing against ppl in pvp. I saw dottsgaming use this skill for is most recent magdk build, but he's not even using it on his streams anymore. That's the only time i've seen this skill on a YT/Build person''s bar in 5yrs playing
    Edited by Beavisaur13 on January 27, 2020 7:44PM
  • Ryanoxx
    Ryanoxx
    ✭✭✭
    Inhale definitely needs a small buff but if they buff the damage too much it would be too strong. The days of healing with Inhale are over. It would be nice to have some stronger aoe on it. It is not that bad but the damage is just not enough to slot it right now. They should increase the damage by about 15-20% I guess and see how it works on pts.
  • BohnT2
    BohnT2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

There's barely any magdks in pvp now, and those who are pvping don't run deep breath because it doesn't hit for enough and it barely heals, you're better off using engulfing flames than using deep breath.

they need to bring back the old heal on deep breath, and bring back talons that actually rooted.

It's the only skill in the magdk toolkit that's actively scaling with the number of enemies you face while also giving magdk another layer of burst along with FoO.
    This extra damage adds a lot more burst than the increase from engulfing and depending on your setup it's easy to run both.

Also the number of magdks playing isn't a indicator for inhale being week or not.
    You don't see too many stamnbs around and shade still doesn't need any buffs.
  • Somewhere
    Somewhere
    ✭✭✭✭
    Inhale definitely deserves another look. A decent idea would be to make it so the first hit deals no damage but instead just restores HP for every enemy in its radius. Then take all of the damage the initial hit used to do and combine it with the second hit. This way the damage over the course of the skill remains the same but it is a bit more burst oriented which would likely be more useful.

Another idea would be to grant minor magickasteal to targets hit by draw essence as the magicka return on enemies hit really amounts to reducing the cost of the skill with an extra step.
  • Kadoin
    Kadoin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I use it on my mag DK for extra damage so I don't have to rely on ult alone to kill people and more than one player...

But someone wants it buffed?

• kojou
    kojou
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I think it is actually pretty well balanced for what it does.

Maybe they could create more situations where an AoE interupt is useful?
    Playing since beta...
  • NBrookus
    NBrookus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Inhale is good in group play for the aoe off balance and additional pressure.

But with a 15 second cooldown DK gets another skill rarely worth slotting.
  • UppGRAYxDD
    UppGRAYxDD
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Give inhale major expedition, or just something to magdks...
    "Stendarr's mercy be upon you, for the vigil has none to spare."
  • MaskedHuman
    MaskedHuman
    ✭✭✭

It's the only skill in the magdk toolkit that's actively scaling with the number of enemies you face while also giving magdk another layer of burst along with FoO.
    This extra damage adds a lot more burst than the increase from engulfing and depending on your setup it's easy to run both.

Also the number of magdks playing isn't a indicator for inhale being week or not.
    You don't see too many stamnbs around and shade still doesn't need any buffs.

with major evasion being used by almost every stam class, I doubt it does more than 2k crit damage on a competent player with a good build lmao

again, whenever I try to slot deep breath in my bar I always find a better option instead, the heal is not worth it at all since you need over 20 people on you just to get like a 9k heal. and the damage is the same as the initial hit of talons, so if you want aoe damage, just use talons twice, and if you want more single target damage, just use whip.

this skill 100% needs either a better heal like the old one, or a better burst that scales higher based on how many players got hit by it, and the sustain morph needs to just get minor magickasteal instead cuz the magicka return is barely even anything
    Edited by MaskedHuman on January 28, 2020 7:13PM
    EP MagDK - Former emperor, Magplar - The Flawless Conqueror, StamDK - The merciless, Stamden - The merciless, MagNB, The merciless.
    DC MagDK (Main) The Flawless Conquerer, StamDK - The Flawless Conqueror, Stamden - Former emperor, Stamsorc - The merciless, Stamblade - The merciless, StamDK - The merciless, Stamplar - The merciless, Stamnecro, The merciless.
  • Beavisaur13
    Beavisaur13
    ✭✭✭
    UppGRAYxDD wrote: »

We can already get it from chains, besides it just needs better burst.
    Edited by Beavisaur13 on January 30, 2020 6:33PM
  • Xvorg
    Xvorg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

We can already get it chains, besides it just needs better burst.

having major expedition on a gap closer is as stupid as having a defile on a heal... you just need the gap closer to keep yourself close to the enemy, not the buff.

Also it is pointless in the case you want to use majr expedition to run away from a threat. Do you gap close the guy who tries to kill you to run away?

Anyway, major exp on a DK is no longer necessary having RAT and the passives from Psijic skill line, which are much better than any passives in the whole DK kit
    Sarcasm is something too serious to be taken lightly

I was born with the wrong sign
    In the wrong house
    With the wrong ascendancy
    I took the wrong road
    That led to the wrong tendencies
    I was in the wrong place at the wrong time
    For the wrong reason and the wrong rhyme
    On the wrong day of the wrong week
    Used the wrong method with the wrong technique
  • Freakin_Hytte
    Freakin_Hytte
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Lol that was a long time ago this skill was usable and people used it. Sure maybe someone still use it, but they are not good magdks if they think it's a good skill.
  • mandricus
    mandricus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    While we are talking about this skill, I think given the AOE nature of the skill, Inhale should put nightblades out of stealth if hit by the skill.
  • Ragnarock41
    Ragnarock41
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    A stam morph would be lovely. And I disagree on this skill being weak. Its very powerful and frequently used on PvP especially on outnumbered combat.
  • Jeezye
    Jeezye
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This post is a perfect example of class disparities and biased minds. Inhale is a decent skill, which has tons of valuable mechanics tied to it. Delayed burst, relatively high AOE damage, decent heal against multiple people, recource refund.

I agree it doesn't shine within a otherwise overloaded toolkit of magdks, such as molten whip, leap, dragon blood, ...

I for myself have used it for years on magdk and still love it for added burst and outnumbered fights. Regarding PvE, the skill might be tweaked to heal based on maxhp so tanks get more value, but thats about it.

Don't get me started by comparing it to nightblades sap essence e.g..
    There's tons of other skills to be looked at before inhale has to be touched.
  • Jeezye
    Jeezye
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    mandricus wrote: »
    While we are talking about this skill, I think given the AOE nature of the skill, Inhale should put nightblades out of stealth if hit by the skill.

Which is exactly what it does SMH
  • juhislihis19
    juhislihis19
    ✭✭✭✭
    A stam morph would be lovely. And I disagree on this skill being weak. Its very powerful and frequently used on PvP especially on outnumbered combat.

That is, if you're lucky enough to find a MagDK in PVP. They are probably the most scarce class to find in open world, maybe behind MagNecro?
  • ZOS_FalcoYamaoka
    Greetings,

This thread has been moved to its correct subcategory.
    Staff Post
  • YandereGirlfriend
    YandereGirlfriend
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sorry for the minor necro but I didn't want to create a new thread for this same topic.

I've been messing around with magDK in PvP and have been looking for a reason to try this skill, but it just can't find a way onto my bars.

I like the delayed burst aspect (whole reason I want to use it, really) but both morph options seem so mediocre. The interrupt has situational use in PvE use but Draw Essence I am just like, "What? Why?"

MagDK sustain is already pretty lackluster (especially in non-CP) and Draw Essence should be a sustain morph, but it simply isn't. Best-case scenario is that you get a free cast if you're 1vX'ing an entire zerg but that is an extremely niche application for a dubious benefit.

Changing the Magicka return to a flat number (~1000 per enemy hit requires ~4 hits to break even) would be an improvement but offering Minor Magickasteal on enemies hit would be better for BGs and likely most users.

Any PvP magDKs have insights on this skill?
  • John_Falstaff
    John_Falstaff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Xvorg wrote: »

having major expedition on a gap closer is as stupid as having a defile on a heal... you just need the gap closer to keep yourself close to the enemy, not the buff.

Also it is pointless in the case you want to use majr expedition to run away from a threat. Do you gap close the guy who tries to kill you to run away?

Anyway, major exp on a DK is no longer necessary having RAT and the passives from Psijic skill line, which are much better than any passives in the whole DK kit

Let's not omit PvE aspect here. Chains is an incredibly good utility skill on a PvE tank, and having Major Expedition on it frees up a slot and saves resources.

Chains don't need any change.
  • Hotdog_23
    Hotdog_23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Change the magic damage to flame damage, after all it is in the Draconic Power skill line. Buff the damage portion by 50% without increasing the cost. Change draw essence to a stamina morph. Add a 1 purge effect for each enemy it hit to the base skill. After all a warden gets a free purge on demand or one every 5 seconds with netch. Then maybe you would see it used some more.

Put major expedition on wings, make way more sense than chains. Plus, it can be used outside of combat. Major expedition on a gap closer is just stupid.
  • John_Falstaff
    John_Falstaff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Hotdog_23 wrote: »
    Change the magic damage to flame damage, after all it is in the Draconic Power skill line. Buff the damage portion by 50% without increasing the cost. Change draw essence to a stamina morph. Add a 1 purge effect for each enemy it hit to the base skill. After all a warden gets a free purge on demand or one every 5 seconds with netch. Then maybe you would see it used some more.

Put major expedition on wings, make way more sense than chains. Plus, it can be used outside of combat. Major expedition on a gap closer is just stupid.

You don't really understand. It is used -all- the time. It's the most ubiquitous skill on a tank's bar, so you don't need to advocato to make it more useful - it is amazingly useful, and what you're proposing is a nerf to PvE tanks.
  • Xvorg
    Xvorg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Let's not omit PvE aspect here. Chains is an incredibly good utility skill on a PvE tank, and having Major Expedition on it frees up a slot and saves resources.

I was talking about unrelenting grip, which works as a gap closer. Empowering Chains is Ok and it shouldn't be changed... in fact I like more Empowering on PvP to pull an enemy to a scalding rune with a blockade
    Sarcasm is something too serious to be taken lightly

I was born with the wrong sign
    In the wrong house
    With the wrong ascendancy
    I took the wrong road
    That led to the wrong tendencies
    I was in the wrong place at the wrong time
    For the wrong reason and the wrong rhyme
    On the wrong day of the wrong week
    Used the wrong method with the wrong technique
  • BohnT2
    BohnT2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

I was talking about unrelenting grip, which works as a gap closer. Empowering Chains is Ok and it shouldn't be changed... in fact I like more Empowering on PvP to pull an enemy to a scalding rune with a blockade

Unrelenting grip pulls targets to you and should have been changed a long time ago to increase its cost when the enemy can't be chained
  • Foefaller
    Foefaller
    ✭✭✭

I think you have them backwards, Empowering is the morph that pulls you to them, Unrelenting is the one that pulls them to you... or fully refunds magicka if they're immune.
  • John_Falstaff
    John_Falstaff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Yup, what folks said, it's the other way around; unrelenting is the morph that pulls things to you. Empowering isn't that much use for PvE tanking. I'm okay with changing empowering one though.
  • lucky_Sage
    lucky_Sage
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    These are the dk abilities that need reworked/tweaked
    Inferno yes both morphs are highly used but This ability is part of why magdks are only good at duels and okish is BG’s because player has zero control in who it attacks or heals and also has a dumb recolored mage light.
    Protective scale since the nerf the ability is utter crap Rat gives better survival or minor miam from smoldering talons both give better survivability.
    Inhale definitely subpar compared to all other times wow burst abilities since the dmg is split in two.
    Stone giant extremely clunk with a wierd cast time melee aoe with a mid range spammable that doesn’t fit the melee brawler stamdk
    Obsidian shard only used for major mending one morph needs to scale of max mag and given a hot or something added to it for dk healers
    Molten armorments needs changed since light attack rework
    Cinder storm needs a bigger radius to small for eso combat
    Searing strike and fiery breathe deffently need a dmg buff not strong enough for a dot class.
    There’s a lot more that needs to be said this is mostly abilties a lot needs said about passives
    Edited by lucky_Sage on May 14, 2020 6:53PM
    DC PC NA
    Magdk - main
    Stamcro - alt

AD PS4 NA -retired (PC runs way better to play on console)
    magdk
    magblade
    stamplar
    magden
    magsorc

• Oreyn_Bearclaw
    Oreyn_Bearclaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Umm. DKs are meta in PVE at the moment, and this skill certainly merits a spot in most trash packs. So saying nobody uses it is simply not true.

On the other hand, this might be the most satisfy skill in the game to cast. Something about it just feels good. I would not be opposed to a small damage buff, but it doesnt need much of one. It's not a reliable heal in PVP, but in PVE, its great for that. If this is on my bars for AOE fights, I typically dont need another self heal or shield.