Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Is it possible to move from physical disc version to digital version?

IHecate
IHecate
✭✭✭
Hi there! When we have to re-download the game as part of the performance improvement, would it be possible to buy the digital version when I've previously used a disc? Will all my characters still be there? I'd totally freak out if I lost all my data. Thanks in advance for the reply.
Ps4 NA and EU
Edited by IHecate on January 17, 2020 7:34AM

Best Answers

• ZOS_Adrikoth
    ZOS_Adrikoth
    admin
    Hey there! As long as you are playing on the same ESO account, then your game data should all still be there if you are playing using a digital copy of ESO.
    The Elder Scrolls Online - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
    Answer ✓
  • IHecate
    IHecate
    ✭✭✭
    Good to hear, thanks
    Answer ✓
  • IHecate
    IHecate
    ✭✭✭
    Hey, just need to clarify matters before I take the plunge. Is my eso account linked to my psn account? I'm hoping all I need to do is delete existing game and saves. Purchase digital copy, download it on same console with same psn id and I'm good to go?
    I've been playing eso since 2015 and don't remember any eso account details or passwords I may have used. Even my forum account name is different from my game id..........
    Answer ✓
  • Aisleyne
    Aisleyne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know someone who did the same thing on xbox and he didn't have to delete or redownload anything. Simply buy the digital edition and you should be able to play immediately. Once you own the digital rights you don't need the disk anymore, but your game and all the content stay the same. I imagine the ps4 will work similarly so I'd recommend trying it before deleting everything.
    Edited by Aisleyne on January 18, 2020 1:57AM
    Answer ✓
  • IHecate
    IHecate
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks Aisleyne, much appreciated.
    Answer ✓
  • emeraldshado
    emeraldshado
    ✭✭✭
    I moved from disc to digital on PS4. The PS4 wouldn't let me run the game as it said the disc was missing. so I had to uninstall and re install. I believe the disc version looks at the disc as a form of DRM and wont launch the application unless the disc is in there, if you're trying to launch the disc version of the game. But try it. maybe play station has changed something in the last 2 years.

that being said. all character data is stored on ZOS server side, so there is nothing that you will be missing by uninstalling the disc version and installing the digital version. aside from time. What is stored on your side, your PS4, would be character options, like guild colours displayed in text, display resource bar numbers and % when out of combat.
    Answer ✓
  • IHecate
    IHecate
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks emeraldshado, from what I've read you do have to uninstall the disc version before re-installing the digital on ps4. Not gonna do it till we're forced to re-download in about a month. Good to know that you did it successfully, huge relief! I'm just sick of swapping out discs all the time....
    Answer ✓