The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

ESO Sorely Needs Adjustable Difficulty Settings

GrumpyDuckling
GrumpyDuckling
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭
When DLC comes out it often follows the same boring to extreme difficulty settings. It combines laughably easy content (overland quests) with very unforgiving content (dungeons that you would be insane to group-finder for). Why does it have to be so extreme on both ends of the spectrum? Can't ZOS just allow us to change the difficulty of the game so that we could make it FUN for the individual? I know... that sounds insane to suggest for a modern video game.

ZOS could go ahead and alter rewards to compensate for difficulty adjustments. Want to run a dungeon on Novice, Normal, Veteran, or Hard? Then you get lower to higher quality items, less or more gold, and less or more tokens/keys. That dungeon helmet you want that is only available on Veteran difficulty could now be had at white quality for 20 completions of the dungeon on Novice difficulty. Is it a perfect solution? Maybe not, but at least some of the more casual players can enjoy some of the dungeon content that they would probably never touch.

Overland could now be more exciting too. You could ramp up the difficulty to actually make it feel like that delve full of bandits is a threat, rather than just running by all of them and dropping AOE damage and heals on the boss. We could [gasp], actually play the content as it was likely intended to be played!
  • Siohwenoeht
    Siohwenoeht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It wouldn't be impossible to do, but barring individual instances which would tend to the empty side for overland content, the only way I see to accomplish this would be to basically have the game gimp your toon.

This could potentially give you what you want, but would add another layer to the calculations the server needs to accomplish.
    "It is a lovely language, but it takes a very long time saying anything in it, because we do not say anything in it, unless it is worth taking a long time to say, and to listen to." - Treebeard
  • kargen27
    kargen27
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It wouldn't be impossible to do, but barring individual instances which would tend to the empty side for overland content, the only way I see to accomplish this would be to basically have the game gimp your toon.

This could potentially give you what you want, but would add another layer to the calculations the server needs to accomplish.

I have been saying we need foods and potions that provide negative affects instead of buffing. That shouldn't add any more calculations as it would be treated same as any other food or drink.
    and then the parrot said, "must be the water mines green too."
  • TBois
    TBois
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    kargen27 wrote: »

I have been saying we need foods and potions that provide negative affects instead of buffing. That shouldn't add any more calculations as it would be treated same as any other food or drink.

Yup, and hopefully provide a bit of increased rewards for using them.
    Current Guilds: Fantasia
    Former Guilds: Decibel, Hagnado, Lemon Party

PC/NA
    T-Bois (Stam Sorc since 1.4) - AD
    An Unsettling Snowball (Templar) - AD
    Bosquecito (Stam Sorc) - DC
    Peti-T-Bois (Stamden) - AD

Youtube
  • ArchMikem
    ArchMikem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Youre asking for a singleplayer option in a multiplayer game.
    CP1,900+ Master Explorer - AvA One Star General - Console Peasant - The Clan
    Quest Objective: OMG Go Talk To That Kitty!
  • Narvuntien
    Narvuntien
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The game already scales right? it couldn't be that hard to change how it scales via a slider.
  • Tavore1138
    Tavore1138
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    About 0.0005 seconds after they do this comes one billion threads about how doing slightly harder content should come with a weapon + infinite doom that smooshes all trials and pvp because... <reasons>
    GM - Malazan
    Raid Leader - Hungry Wolves
    Legio Mortuum
  • GrumpyDuckling
    GrumpyDuckling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    ArchMikem wrote: »

It already exists... Normal/Veteran Dungeons. Go ahead and extend something like that to Overland. You appear in the instances with people who select the same difficulty as you. The harder it is, the more rewards/gold you get compared to people playing on lower levels.
  • Siohwenoeht
    Siohwenoeht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Narvuntien wrote: »
    The game already scales right? it couldn't be that hard to change how it scales via a slider.

But it scales EVERYONE. If you add an individual slider, then the sever would have an additional calculation level for potentially each individual person. @kargen27 has an idea that could work better, if it worked as the reverse of current food stats, but that doesn't necessarily add complexity to the difficulty, just turns mobs/bosses into bullet sponges.
    "It is a lovely language, but it takes a very long time saying anything in it, because we do not say anything in it, unless it is worth taking a long time to say, and to listen to." - Treebeard
  • Royaji
    Royaji
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Narvuntien wrote: »

Only under-50 (pre CP160) characters are scaled.
  • Salix_alba
    Salix_alba
    ✭✭✭✭
    You want to make the game harder handicap your toons gear with unenchanted or non set armors lower leveled equipment etc.
    would = harder difficulty

And 5x set pieces x 2 + a monster helm and shoulder would = easy mode
  • kargen27
    kargen27
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    TBois wrote: »

Yup, and hopefully provide a bit of increased rewards for using them.

I don't think there needs to be increased reward. The reward is a better more fun experience in the game.
    and then the parrot said, "must be the water mines green too."
  • TheShadowScout
    TheShadowScout
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As I said before:
    Too much trouble, they cannot very well change the world for each placer.
    But...
    ...they could change each player for the world!

They -could- implement a "handicap setting", that lowers your full combat power, but raises your rewards depending on how much of a "handicap" you play with...

Of course, they also could bring back more "Pay to Loose" items come next april 1st...
    Like - dual-wielding feather dusters, or tanking with a bucket lid and rolling pin, or a folded parchment wizards hat...
    I don't think there needs to be increased reward. The reward is a better more fun experience in the game.
    Well, the thing is, people often get hung up on the effects. One of the reasons we didn't get more PtL stuff - few are crazy enough to go there.
    And its more likely then not they will want to see some profits from anything they do as completely new...

Of course, things -could- be combined.
    Add an "raises drop chance for something good by 20%" effect for any "PtL" item, then sell a whole range in the crown store... think of how it would be going trophy hunting if your insignificant chance of getting that last trophy you need for the color unlock was raises to a one-in-five!!! I'd buy PtL stuff for all my characters if that was the case!
  • Nanfoodle
    Nanfoodle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    When DLC comes out it often follows the same boring to extreme difficulty settings. It combines laughably easy content (overland quests) with very unforgiving content (dungeons that you would be insane to group-finder for). Why does it have to be so extreme on both ends of the spectrum? Can't ZOS just allow us to change the difficulty of the game so that we could make it FUN for the individual? I know... that sounds insane to suggest for a modern video game.

ZOS could go ahead and alter rewards to compensate for difficulty adjustments. Want to run a dungeon on Novice, Normal, Veteran, or Hard? Then you get lower to higher quality items, less or more gold, and less or more tokens/keys. That dungeon helmet you want that is only available on Veteran difficulty could now be had at white quality for 20 completions of the dungeon on Novice difficulty. Is it a perfect solution? Maybe not, but at least some of the more casual players can enjoy some of the dungeon content that they would probably never touch.

Overland could now be more exciting too. You could ramp up the difficulty to actually make it feel like that delve full of bandits is a threat, rather than just running by all of them and dropping AOE damage and heals on the boss. We could [gasp], actually play the content as it was likely intended to be played!

Also by making overland harder and give you bigger rewards like more exp. That could also help people get to cap faster and not make people cry if the cap was raised.
  • mocap
    mocap
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    just add debufs, like already mentioned: negative food/drinks, negative mundus, scroll of glorious overland battle...
  • Nemesis7884
    Nemesis7884
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    you can always make yourself weaker...and there is vet mode.
    Also remember that there are people that are starting out at lvl 1, with no champion points, no gear etc... not everyone is fully geared at 810...

but this is EXACTLY the reason why i am always saying that vertical progression in mmo's is sh*** and horizontal progression is far superior - no power creep but instead interesting new mechanics and options (But of course this requires more effort)
  • mocap
    mocap
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also remember that there are people that are starting out at lvl 1, with no champion points, no gear etc... not everyone is fully geared at 810...

if you could read more carefully.. people talk about PERSONAL debufs, not for everyone, not for lvl 1 players. And not to change CP everytime for 3k gold when you need dungeons.

Now where did you read that someone suggest to change progression to vertical in ESO? Proof pls. No one is talking about vertical progression, ok? As well as instances (just in case).Only about personal debufs, without messing with CP and gear.
  • Nemesis7884
    Nemesis7884
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    mocap wrote: »

if you could read more carefully.. people talk about PERSONAL debufs, not for everyone, not for lvl 1 players. And not to change CP everytime for 3k gold when you need dungeons.

Now where did you read that someone suggest to change progression to vertical in ESO? Proof pls. No one is talking about vertical progression, ok? As well as instances (just in case).Only about personal debufs, without messing with CP and gear.

eso has vertical progression ist just not as steep as other games and they stopped it at a certain level
  • Ascarl
    Ascarl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the OP has valid points. For the majority of players new content is rather easy (no rewards here) or very tough (new meta candidates). IMHO dragons have been the only exemption as they are not hard but not trivial for sure and offer some reward, no BiS equipment but you still get something shiny here and there.

I personally think this is the way of the future, offering more medium level stuff instead of easy mode (open world) or hard-core (DLC dungeons and trials).

However the forum seems to be filled the people who dedicate themselves very much to the game and dislike the idea that anything could be made more accessible to a wider playerbase and will answer with phrases like "learn to play, get a guild, this is MMORPG" etc.
  • FierceSam
    FierceSam
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just no.

You want a single player game with difficulty scaling to you specifically? Go play a single player game.

You want to play with other people? Accept that some content will feel easier/more difficult for you than it does for the other players.

• Seraphayel
    Seraphayel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Not really. Overland content is already single player easy mode.
    PS5
    EU
    Aldmeri Dominion
    - Khajiit Arcanist -
  • Katlefiya
    Katlefiya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Wheel of Time turns, and forum threads come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

Was it really necessary to start a new thread for this yet again, while the latest one is still on the front page?

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/504613/lets-have-a-hard-mode-for-quests#latest
  • LonePirate
    LonePirate
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    What happens when you have the highest difficulty setting and you group up with someone with the lowest difficulty setting?
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Pretty much this. ^^^^^ The questing with a MMORPG is pretty much about the story, not the fights. The dungeons and raids are intended for players interested in more challenging content.

I have seen scaled content only in a situation where the content was instanced. Being ESO is mostly open world question and should be that design option is not available.
  • Dracofyre
    Dracofyre
    ✭✭✭✭
    epic fail, see why and what happen to Craglorn zone, used to have hardest group zone, now it scaled back to pockets of group areas, not many adventure there, most went back to dolmens/dungeon delves to farm, ignoring hardcore group zones, it becoming ghost town zones since most rather now farm dragons.

few years ago, i could solo the world boss Druitiyr of the Rutual Altar in Deshaan, now it bit harder and tougher.

open zones isnt meant for hardcore. if you want hardcore, go to Cyrodiil/Inner City Sewer zones, but that is PvP zones too. You would met your challenges or try battlegrounds.

my suggestion fix, add cool loots to draw them back as one of new choice to loot and farm, to avoid no dragon hunting if no one shows up. make specific unique loots they need. right now, the loots are boring. my idea for adding special events for different weekends, make double drops or tickets, random chance for legendary drops or unique materials where we need.
    Or, add 2x/3x extra units from gathering nodes.
    Edited by Dracofyre on December 31, 2019 2:42PM
  • Freakin_Hytte
    Freakin_Hytte
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Something have to be done, I would have liked doing overland questing but it's not fun when you kill the final quest boss under 5 seconds.
    Sure I guess the low CP people need to have it easier, but why should us 810's suffer from it?
    It's sooo boring steam rolling everything in the world.
  • Nomadic_Atmoran
    Nomadic_Atmoran
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Seraphayel wrote: »

Not really. Overland content is already single player easy mode.

For you maybe. But not for anyone just starting. They don't have sets, champion points, food buffs, practiced rotations or years of experience.

My friend just started the game and his experience with a low level toon compared to mine is like night and day. Enemies melt before me while he struggles to deal with more than one trash mob.

There are plenty of ways of gimping yourselves without adding a slider. Removing most of the things I listed above would be a start. People need to realize that overland is not for the endgamer. It is not supposed to be the ultimate experience. Dungeons, Trials and PvP is supposed to be where youre putting all of that experience and high level accessible gear to the test.
    Penniless Sellsword Company
    Captain Paramount Jorrhaq Vhent
    Korith Eaglecry - Laerinel Rhaev - Enrerion - Caius Berilius - Seylina Ithvala - Signa Squallrider - H'Vak the Grimjawl
    Yynril Rothvani - Tenarei Rhaev - Bathes-In-Coin - Dazsh Ro Khar - Aredyhel - Reads-To-Frogs - Azjani Ma'Les
    Kheshna gra-Gharbuk - Gallisten Bondurant - Aban Shahid Bakr - Etain Maquier - Atsu Kalame - Faulpia Severinus
  • MellowMagic
    MellowMagic
    ✭✭✭✭
    The only thing they should change is making end of long quest bosses orange tier difficultly instead of purple. Public dungeon boss difficulty maybe 1.5x the health.
    PC / NA @MellowMagic
    Imperial named with some sort of variation of "Deo"
    By the Divines...
  • ZOS_FalcoYamaoka
    Greetings,

Some posts have been removed due to violating our community rules around baiting. Please refer to our community rules to understand what is expected from members of our community.
    Staff Post
  • Czekoludek
    Czekoludek
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They already dumb down the difficulty of new veteran dungeons. Older ones were much harder. Now we have normal that can be done with light attacks really, veteran that is a true medium difficulty and hard modes that presented the real challenges for those who seeks for it. The same story with trials as veteran SS without HMs is not that hard (not as HoF, AS or CR when they introduce them). So you get what you want