The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

What does a community manager do when not managing the community ?

• SantieClaws
    SantieClaws
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Saltisol wrote: »
    Sleep perhaps?

This one assumes though that it involves a lot of event management and the like. Big events take a huge amount of co-ordination and planning.

Not to mention all the articles, natch potes, writing the screenplay, script and direction instructions for each episode of ESO Live and making all of the costumes probably.

It is all a little like herding cats perhaps?

Yours with paws
    Santie Claws

I Think i like you, can't be totally sure yet but I got a feeling I would. Which platform are you on ? EU/NA ?

Just one thing I got a hard time Reading and every time I read it it like echoes in my head, clawing scratching and driving me if not crazy so on the verge off geting there "natch potes" what the hell, I can't understand why a sane person would use it :D

No hard feelings, I just can't help it, it really gets to me.

Khajiit travels on PC EU Tamriel - feel free to pop over to the Fishmas Grotto in scenic Craglorn anytime over the festive season.

It's open house in EHT - look for wenxue222.

Natch potes is sort of a grand forum tradition with a long and noble history.

Yours with paws
    Santie Claws
    Shunrr's Skooma Oasis - The Movie. A housing video like no other ...
    Find it here - https://youtube.com/user/wenxue2222

Clan Claws - now recruiting khajiit and like minded others for parties, fishing and other khajiit stuff. Contact this one for an invite.

PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

https://www.imperialtradingcompany.eu/
  • WillhelmBlack
    WillhelmBlack
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Memes.
    PC EU
  • max_only
    max_only
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I came for the Pinky and the Brain meme. You children disappoint me.
    #FiteForYourRite Bosmer = Stealth
    #OppositeResourceSiphoningAttacks
    || CP 1000+ || PC/NA || GUILDS: LWH; IA; CH; XA
    ""All gods' creatures (you lot) are equal when covered in A1 sauce"" -- Old Bosmeri Wisdom
  • faeeichenlaub
    faeeichenlaub
    ✭✭✭✭
    Whatever they do they don't get paid enough to deal with toxicity of the forums and community of late. The absolute daily inccessant pessimistic postings about a product I am sure that has great personal meaning to them in their desire to see it perform better and the community thrive. Ughh..it's got to be a daily kick in the teeth.
    They are between a rock and a hard place. I can't fathom nor would ever want to deal with the no win situation they are placed into as the go between of players and programmers. Thankless job.
    Community Manager = Sainthood
    Edited by faeeichenlaub on December 10, 2019 4:37PM
    "Azura give me strength, Let my voice change the world as long as I am in it."
  • valeriiya
    valeriiya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Search for a new job?
  • phileunderx2
    phileunderx2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This community needs constant supervision so yeah 24/7 job. 😁
  • ZOS_GinaBruno
    ZOS_GinaBruno
    Community Manager
    Oh boy, this is a topic we could spend hours on :sweat_smile: Community Managers at ZOS have a lot of different tasks, and it also depends on the person. Also, just for clarity, ESO Community Managers are not forum moderators - those fall under our amazing Support team, who also run the @BethesdaSupport Twitter account.

Below are a few things that Community Managers - specifically at ZOS - tend to do regularly:
    • We are constantly coordinating with a lot of different departments including - but not limited to - Marketing, PR, Sales, the Dev Team, first party, territory offices, and more.
    • We frequently work with the Events team to plan efforts at major conventions and off-site.
    • Lots of reporting. We need to keep the business appraised of not just community sentiment, but recaps or postmortems of various events/launches/efforts/etc are appreciated and expected, along with our department's plans for the upcoming quarter/year/whatever amount of time.
    • Patch notes, of course ;)
    • Managing various player programs, including the Stream Team and Class Reps.
    • Planning livestreams, both in-house and supporting other offices in their livestream efforts.
    • We're responsible for messaging out important updates or changes for the game.
    • Occasionally, we'll need to write website articles, though that's largely handled by our Content Manager these days.
    That doesn't include all the little one-off requests that come in or encompass the entire job, but gives a taste of some of the major responsibilities. We do a lot of things behind the scenes, but also stay on top of discussions that happen on the forums, reddit, Discord, and social. We may not always reply, but we are always reading! It's quite often a member of the Dev Team will come over and say, "Have you seen X conversation?" and our response is almost always "Yep, seen it and already [did whatever action]". The core of the job is being a pro multi-tasker.

Happy to answer more questions about our job if anyone would like to chat further!
    Gina Bruno
    Senior Community Manager
    Dev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter | My Twitter
    Staff Post
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for taking the time to explain all the "behind the scenes" work that you and the other Community Managers do, Gina!

Even if we don't always see the fruit of your labors, we'd miss it if no one was doing the job. Thank you!
  • Glory
    Glory
    Class Representative
    giphy.gif
    mDK will rise again.
    Rebuild Necromancer pet AI.

@Glorious since I have too many characters to list

Ádamant

Strongly against Faction Lock
  • svartorn
    svartorn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I assume they sit in loading screens like the rest of us.
  • January1171
    January1171
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bless goddess Gina!
  • nafensoriel
    nafensoriel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh boy, this is a topic we could spend hours on :sweat_smile: Community Managers at ZOS have a lot of different tasks, and it also depends on the person. Also, just for clarity, ESO Community Managers are not forum moderators - those fall under our amazing Support team, who also run the @BethesdaSupport Twitter account.

Below are a few things that Community Managers - specifically at ZOS - tend to do regularly:
    • We are constantly coordinating with a lot of different departments including - but not limited to - Marketing, PR, Sales, the Dev Team, first party, territory offices, and more.
    • We frequently work with the Events team to plan efforts at major conventions and off-site.
    • Lots of reporting. We need to keep the business appraised of not just community sentiment, but recaps or postmortems of various events/launches/efforts/etc are appreciated and expected, along with our department's plans for the upcoming quarter/year/whatever amount of time.
    • Planning livestreams, both in-house and supporting other offices in their livestream efforts.
    • We're responsible for messaging out important updates or changes for the game.
    • Occasionally, we'll need to write website articles, though that's largely handled by our Content Manager these days.
    That doesn't include all the little one-off requests that come in or encompass the entire job, but gives a taste of some of the major responsibilities. We do a lot of things behind the scenes, but also stay on top of discussions that happen on the forums, reddit, Discord, and social. We may not always reply, but we are always reading! It's quite often a member of the Dev Team will come over and say, "Have you seen X conversation?" and our response is almost always "Yep, seen it and already [did whatever action]". The core of the job is being a pro multi-tasker.

Happy to answer more questions about our job if anyone would like to chat further!

You forgot technical writer and cat herder in your list. :D

• Radiance
    Radiance
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tell your Sales and Marketing team it's probly better business to Price things reasonably so that More people will buy them instead of taking advantage of the few who are willing to spend obscene amounts on Pixels. I really don't understand why they do this. Lower prices means more people will buy things and will make more money in the long and the customers will be happy. Everybody wins. The idea that a single mount or house costs more than it does to buy the entire game is just outrageous... Bad business.
  • Goregrinder
    Goregrinder
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I mean it as a sincere question. The title "community manager" leads me to beleive that the job involves a two way dialogue with the community. The community in this case are their playerbase, both active and inactive.

There is not an abundance of communication so what does the role of community manager involve aside from the obvious ?

You mean the dialogue being "open" like they are on-call as a community manager 24/7? Like they never actually clock out, and if you post something at 3am, they are obligated to wake up and respond to you on the forums?
  • vamp_emily
    vamp_emily
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I personally thought ESO community managers spent most their times traveling the world ( using the corporate credit card ) and their job was to pick the hotel/restaurant/bar.

If you want a friend, get a dog.
    AW Rank: Grand Warlord 1 ( level 49)

• Saltisol
    Saltisol
    ✭✭✭✭
    I mean it as a sincere question. The title "community manager" leads me to beleive that the job involves a two way dialogue with the community. The community in this case are their playerbase, both active and inactive.

There is not an abundance of communication so what does the role of community manager involve aside from the obvious ?

You mean the dialogue being "open" like they are on-call as a community manager 24/7? Like they never actually clock out, and if you post something at 3am, they are obligated to wake up and respond to you on the forums?

Did I really say all that ?
  • Goregrinder
    Goregrinder
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

I don't know, did you? You never specified what you meant by "open dialogue", so I am asking for clarification. Is that not what you meant by "open", and if not, what do you mean by "open" dialogue?
  • Saltisol
    Saltisol
    ✭✭✭✭

Thanks, was a pleasure to read your reply and I'm especially pleased that you didn't use the forum lingo and used the phrase "natch potes"
  • Saltisol
    Saltisol
    ✭✭✭✭

I don't know, did you? You never specified what you meant by "open dialogue", so I am asking for clarification. Is that not what you meant by "open", and if not, what do you mean by "open" dialogue?

This post was a great post "Activity Finder & Server Performance Update" and it's post's similar to that one is what I'm asking or hoping for.
  • validifyedneb18_ESO
    validifyedneb18_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Where I work, our community managed (and Producer) are responding to tickets, writing changelogs, organizing sales, dealing with translators, sorting physical product deliveries/warehouses/suppliers, and then just generally looking after the office. H&S, weekly office fruit, landlords etc etc.
    EU: Magden, Magknight, Stamsorc(*2), Magsorc
    NA: Magplar, Magden, PotatoBlade
  • Veinblood1965
    Veinblood1965
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Whatever they do they don't get paid enough to deal with toxicity of the forums and community of late. The absolute daily inccessant pessimistic postings about a product I am sure that has great personal meaning to them in their desire to see it perform better and the community thrive. Ughh..it's got to be a daily kick in the teeth.
    They are between a rock and a hard place. I can't fathom nor would ever want to deal with the no win situation they are placed into as the go between of players and programmers. Thankless job.
    Community Manager = Sainthood

at least they get paid the big bucks, probably all ride glowing unicorns and make at least

Wow there better be some good perks with that job. Maybe glowing one horned mounts with colored bubbles blowing out it's rear lol. All that hurt my head that's too much work! Thanks for the explanation that was nice of you.
    Edited by Veinblood1965 on December 10, 2019 7:54PM
  • Goregrinder
    Goregrinder
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

This post was a great post "Activity Finder & Server Performance Update" and it's post's similar to that one is what I'm asking or hoping for.

So when you say "open" dialogue, you mean very thorough posts, datelining everything? Open as in "full of information"? Is that correct? And when you say you are "hoping" for them, I assume that means you want more of these posts that fit your "open" criteria in the future, but how regularly? Like Hourly? Or daily? What is your set expectation?
  • Saltisol
    Saltisol
    ✭✭✭✭

So when you say "open" dialogue, you mean very thorough posts, datelining everything? Open as in "full of information"? Is that correct? And when you say you are "hoping" for them, I assume that means you want more of these posts that fit your "open" criteria in the future, but how regularly? Like Hourly? Or daily? What is your set expectation?

Hehehehe sorry but hey, easy, it's not like I'm asking for something impossible. I don't think I used the word "open" and the post was just an example. The posts can be breif, like an update or long if needed.

What are you getting at really, do you think that more communication is a bad thing ?
  • Goregrinder
    Goregrinder
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Hehehehe sorry but hey, easy, it's not like I'm asking for something impossible. I don't think I used the word "open" and the post was just an example. The posts can be breif, like an update or long if needed.

What are you getting at really, do you think that more communication is a bad thing ?

Yes it can be, if it's filled with useless information. I'd rather have fewer and less frequent posts, that are larger and filled with tons of updates and information, instead of daily or hourly posts like a vlogger posting just to announce they walked into Walmart, then do a play by play in real time about every little detail of that encounter....that's useless information to me.

I don't need a million updates all stating that the Earth is still here. I need one giant update stating that the world is going to end. That is more meaningful, more useful, has all the information I need, and doesn't waste my time or the community manager's already accounted for time.

I believe what you are seeking is something like a Forum Manager, or Forum liaison that is going to be constantly active on the forums everyday, answering questions, providing hourly updates on various little things. That's cool, but that's a different job than a community manager. The Community Manager manages a "Community", which encompasses more than JUST the forums. I think your expectations on what a Community Manager's role is should be re-evaluated. And I never go easy, not even on myself.

The current Community Manager is doing exactly what every other Community Manager has done since the dawn of MMORPG's having a community to manage.

• randomkeyhits
    randomkeyhits
    ✭✭✭✭✭

The problem with this is you take your time to provide details communications and in doing so you are laying yourself open to an interrogation which can make waterboarding seem nice. Every last detail and nuance analysed to the nth degree with expectation of further detailed communication.

It cycles downwards fast.

The thing to remember here is that for certain things people like Gina are not the source, they are the channel. The developers who are trying to focus on fixing things are the source and it then becomes do you want us to tell you about how we'd like to fix things if we are not doing this or maybe just fix it first?

Its why after a few years many good developers learn the art of monosyllabic communication...... :*
    EU PS4
  • Sandman929
    Sandman929
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Community sentiment...that must be a dark road.
    Edited by Sandman929 on December 10, 2019 8:42PM
  • Saltisol
    Saltisol
    ✭✭✭✭

Yes it can be, if it's filled with useless information. I'd rather have fewer and less frequent posts, that are larger and filled with tons of updates and information, instead of daily or hourly posts like a vlogger posting just to announce they walked into Walmart, then do a play by play in real time about every little detail of that encounter....that's useless information to me.

I don't need a million updates all stating that the Earth is still here. I need one giant update stating that the world is going to end. That is more meaningful, more useful, has all the information I need, and doesn't waste my time or the community manager's already accounted for time.

I believe what you are seeking is something like a Forum Manager, or Forum liaison that is going to be constantly active on the forums everyday, answering questions, providing hourly updates on various little things. That's cool, but that's a different job than a community manager. The Community Manager manages a "Community", which encompasses more than JUST the forums. I think your expectations on what a Community Manager's role is should be re-evaluated. And I never go easy, not even on myself.

The current Community Manager is doing exactly what every other Community Manager has done since the dawn of MMORPG's having a community to manage.

I'm overwhelmed, don't even know where to start. Where is all of that coming from ?
    This is what i wrote to answer your post and you came to all the concusions above from that ? " The posts can be breif, like an update or long if needed"
    Edited by Saltisol on December 10, 2019 8:41PM
  • Goregrinder
    Goregrinder
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

I'm overwhelmed, don't even know where to start. Where is all of that coming from ?
    This is what i wrote to answer your post and you came to all the concusions above from that ? " The posts can be breif, like an update or long if needed"

I don't want "Still working on it..." updates every few hours. We know they are working on it. We are going to assume they are going to work on it until something changes, or they come to a conclusion that they can't fix something. That wastes their time, since someone physically has to post every few hours, and they have to speak to multiple departments to get updates from each. That is time out of everyone's day, time that someone is getting pulled off troubleshooting just so someone on the forum is satisfied with the answer.

I'd rather them not waste any time being pulled off their TS, or distracted and to just work on whatever it is they are working on. Work on it until they have a solution, tested it, and have a plan or schedule to implement said solution. THEN shoot me a bigger update post with like 3 paragraphs worth of text.

Small unimportant updates wastes EVEERYONE's time. Imagine calling your mechanic every hour to ask him if he fixed your car. He literally has to drop everything he is doing, get out from under your car, answer the phone, then proceed to explain the same thing he did the previous hour " yeah still trying to get under the hood here and see what is going on...time consuming process...requires my attention and for me to be under the car.....".

Imagine that every hour...on the hour. How long do you think it would take for him to eventually troubleshoot the problem with your car, then have a solution to fix it ready?
  • Starlock
    Starlock
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Territory offices? I confess I have not a clue what those are. Guess who hasn't worked in the industry? Haha!
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sleep perhaps?

This one assumes though that it involves a lot of event management and the like. Big events take a huge amount of co-ordination and planning.

Not to mention all the articles, natch potes, writing the screenplay, script and direction instructions for each episode of ESO Live and making all of the costumes probably.

It is all a little like herding cats perhaps?

Yours with paws
    Santie Claws

lol on herding cats.

But yes. Also probably spends some time reviewing threads here in the forums to see which ones need to be seen by the devs. I do not expect all of Gina and Jesica's time at Zos is all Glamor and Glitz.

I have thought that ESO live should be renamed the Gina and Jesica hour.