The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

The bluescreens on console are plaguing my PlayStation!!!

SillyGT
SillyGT
✭✭✭✭
Since eso is literally unplayable because of crashing every 20 minutes in playing different games and it causes them to crash as well I’ve played this other game for 2 years and never have it happened once and since dragon hold I’ve crashed on a different game 6 times now in the last couple of days! How aren’t the severs taken down and fixed immediately? It’s literally ruining my gaming experience as a whole not just on eso
  • CassandraGemini
    CassandraGemini
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm far from being a White Knight for ZoS, but does it really make sense to blame ESO when a different game crashes, just because there is a chronological correlation to an ESO update? ZoS has certainly given us much reason for frustration lately, but they're not at fault for absolutely everything.
    This poor little Bosmer stealth passive had passionate friends and a big loving family!

• TequilaFire
    TequilaFire
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have you done a PS4 rebuild database?
    I have to do that more often when a program like ESO corrupts and fragments my drive.
    Edited by TequilaFire on December 7, 2019 11:14PM
  • lagrue
    lagrue
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm far from being a White Knight for ZoS, but does it really make sense to blame ESO when a different game crashes, just because there is a chronological correlation to an ESO update? ZoS has certainly given us much reason for frustration lately, but they're not at fault for absolutely everything.

He didn't say anywhere that other games were crashing - just that this was putting off his gaming experience.
    PSN ID (NA only): Zuzu_With_a_Z
    *GRAND MASTER CRAFTER*

"You must defeat me every time. I need defeat you only once"
  • CassandraGemini
    CassandraGemini
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    lagrue wrote: »

He didn't say anywhere that other games were crashing - just that this was putting off his gaming experience.

Yes he did. See there.
    SillyGT wrote: »
    Since eso is literally unplayable because of crashing every 20 minutes in playing different games and it causes them to crash as well I’ve played this other game for 2 years and never have it happened once and since dragon hold I’ve crashed on a different game 6 times now in the last couple of days! How aren’t the severs taken down and fixed immediately? It’s literally ruining my gaming experience as a whole not just on eso

This poor little Bosmer stealth passive had passionate friends and a big loving family!

• ArgoCye
    ArgoCye
    ✭✭✭✭
    The bluescreens are worse than ever. That’s not up for question. What is, is what is ZoS going to do about it? The response thus far has been pathetic.
  • cheifsoap
    cheifsoap
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wonder if all PS4 threads are going to get locked. How about you guys fix your game we all paid for?
  • DragonRacer
    DragonRacer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    cheifsoap wrote: »
    I wonder if all PS4 threads are going to get locked. How about you guys fix your game we all paid for?

The problem is certain PC players consistently coming into our threads to talk down to us, then PS4 players taking the bait and responding back. There's a pretty clear pattern of derailment that keeps plaguing threads of this issue and ultimately getting them shut down.

But it WOULD be nice to keep one consistent thread on the issue going that sticks to facts and player experience, free of argument and hypothesis. That's probably too much to ask, sadly.
    PS5 NA. GM of The PTK's - a free trading guild (CP 500+). Also a werewolf, bites are free when they're available. PSN = DragonRacer13
  • BomblePants
    BomblePants
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    But.... I haven’t blue screened since the patch.... and before the patch it happened twice - and I play a lot.... just sayin, since we are talking about player experience here....

PS4 EU
  • Kuramas9tails
    Kuramas9tails
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    But.... I haven’t blue screened since the patch.... and before the patch it happened twice - and I play a lot.... just sayin, since we are talking about player experience here....

PS4 EU
    I blue screen a LOT. My boyfriend, on the other hand, gets the start of a BS but then he comes back. It’s so odd.

Not sure why some get dumped on with loads of DC and others don’t.

But with that being said, other games of mine have blue screened. I am inclined to believe it’s a PS/App issue and not really one or the others issue but both of their issues at the same time...if that makes sense. If there’s something the user can do to manage this, I would like a link.
      Your friendly neighborhood crazy cat lady of ESO
      New PSN name: SundariTheLast. Proud seller in RedEye Empire, PURPLE GANG and Backalley Trading.
      AD High Elf Mageblade DPS (General)(Former Empress) -- Stormproof/VMOL, VHOF, VDSA completion
      AD Khajiit Mageblade DPS -- Flawless Conquerer
      FOR THE QUEEN!
      PS4/NA
    • cheifsoap
      cheifsoap
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Another night, another blue screen. This time in vSS. When are we getting this fixed? This has gotten old.
    • dcam86b14_ESO
      dcam86b14_ESO
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      They have to pass thr patches through to Sony and micro first.

You'll just have to wait.
    • valeriiya
      valeriiya
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      They have to pass thr patches through to Sony and micro first.

You'll just have to wait.

They could get them out sooner but they'd have to pay for that
    • ZOS_SarahHecker
      ZOS_SarahHecker
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Hey everyone, we're planning to have a patch on December 18th to make some tweaks that should help PlayStation performance. Thank you again for your patience here.
      Staff Post
    • Ingenon
      Ingenon
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Thanks for the update!

I haven't blue screened since the last patch, and I did have several blue screens before the patch. Hopefully this patch will help others that are still getting blue screens on PS4.
    • Hotdog_23
      Hotdog_23
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭
      Sure hopes this one helps but sucks we have to wait again.
    • SocialAssassin
      SocialAssassin
      ✭✭✭
      And after this patch, we'll have to release another one to fix this one's problem. :D
      “I’m The Best There Is At What I Do. But What I Do Isn't Very Nice…” - Wolverine/Logan/James Howlett
    • Anotherone773
      Anotherone773
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭
      I have to do that more often when a program like ESO corrupts and fragments my drive.

^^^ This. ESO needs to be able to read and write the HDD constantly. The more stuff you have on the HDD ( more than 50% full) and the more fragmented it is the longer it takes to get the data it needs. All it does is cause the game to become unstable.

Ironically, BSOD on PC is typically caused by a memory issue and so is the one on PS4(in ESO's case)
    • cheifsoap
      cheifsoap
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      If you have an SSD you shouldn't have to rebuild/defrag. If anything, it's bad for the SSD
    • AgaTheGreat
      AgaTheGreat
      ✭✭✭✭✭

^^^ This. ESO needs to be able to read and write the HDD constantly. The more stuff you have on the HDD ( more than 50% full) and the more fragmented it is the longer it takes to get the data it needs. All it does is cause the game to become unstable.

Ironically, BSOD on PC is typically caused by a memory issue and so is the one on PS4(in ESO's case)

Source of this claim? 🙄😑
      PS4 EU Aga_The_Grey - retired | PC EU AgaTheGreat
    • TequilaFire
      TequilaFire
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      If you have an SSD you shouldn't have to rebuild/defrag. If anything, it's bad for the SSD

What rebuild database actually does is rebuild the file table.
      PFS (Psydo File System) is the file system used by (at least) downloadable content and games on the PS4. It is loosely based on the UFS (Unix File System) used in FreeBSD and as such is not susceptable to heavy fragmentation because nearly all BSD variants of Unix attempt to keep fragmentation to a minimum by writing related data blocks within the same cylinder group.
      Also unless you have an ancient SSD defrag will not harm it.

https://www.psdevwiki.com/ps4/PFS

https://www.itworld.com/article/2812382/unix-tip--fragmentation-and-unix-file-systems.html
      Edited by TequilaFire on December 12, 2019 2:24PM
    • cheifsoap
      cheifsoap
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ...Also unless you have an ancient SSD defrag will not harm it.

This is bad information unless SSD's have somehow been refined where it doesn't have a life span.

Great article from 6 years ago - https://pcworld.com/article/2047513/fragging-wonderful-the-truth-about-defragging-your-ssd.html

Edit: The above talks about fat32 formatted HDD's do not apply to SDDs as SDDs are flash memory.
      Edited by cheifsoap on December 12, 2019 2:30PM
    • TequilaFire
      TequilaFire
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Key point is your article is from six years ago...
    • cheifsoap
      cheifsoap
      ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice strawman bro. Yours is from 15 years ago
    • zaria
      zaria
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ESO or any games will not cause other games to crash.
      Yes this can happen rarely on PC as the game require system updates and DRM has been an issue in the past.
      But not on console.
      Grinding just make you go in circles.
      Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
    • TequilaFire
      TequilaFire
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice strawman bro. Yours is from 15 years ago

Yeah but unix is software hardware tech advances rapidly and you totaly missed the point that a database rebuild is not a true defrag. Not to mention the majority pf PS4 users have conventional hard drives.
      I rebuild my database quite regularly and my SSD is over 2 years old now.

Beside you can pick up a 1TB SSD in the $100.00 range now.
      SSD are not the subject here file table corruption is.
      Edited by TequilaFire on December 12, 2019 2:46PM
    • cheifsoap
      cheifsoap
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Okay you win. I've lost interest
      Edited by cheifsoap on December 12, 2019 3:01PM
    • TequilaFire
      TequilaFire
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Not to mention the majority pf PS4 users have conventional hard drives.

I wasn't talking about them and you miss the point that SSDs have a life span and unnecessarily read/writing will reduce its lifecycle (unless something has changed over the last 5 years). Are you familiar with how flash storage works? Flash doesn't suffer from fragmentation issues - it's one of the primary reasons to use SSD > HDD. How the "PS4 stores its data" is completely irrelevant due to how the SDD fetches and stores that data.

Edit: The bottomline is your "maintenance" for SSDs is wrong

And you aren't listening that rebuild database isn't a defrag in the first place.
      We are all to blame for that misunderstanding as even I use the word defrag erroneously in order to avoid the more technical discussion of how a unix file system works. You are correct SSD NAND flash technology has a limited life span and is designed for use in a PC environment where the trim command can be used in lieu of defrag.
      In practice a SSD will still out last the cheap hard drive that comes stock in a PS4.
      Edited by TequilaFire on December 12, 2019 3:04PM
    • svartorn
      svartorn
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      They can't fix the game at this point.

I don't think they even know how.
    • Anotherone773
      Anotherone773
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭

Source of this claim? 🙄😑

First, i know that you already know about rebuilding the database because you posted about it in another thread. Which makes me suspect this is a bait post.

Second, the CPU and GPU share 8 GB of memory of which 3.5 gb is reserved for the OS. The remaining amount is not enough for ESO really. It will run but barely as anyone with a PS4 can tell you. On windows systems, windows creates virtual memory on your HDD to help manage large files/programs that it is using when it doesnt have enough memory to work with the files it needs. It has to read and write to these files constantly.

PS4 has a similar system. Last i checked only 512 MB was available to devs for this. That may have been upgraded but its unlikely as Sony seems to prefer that developers build games for their system rather than build their system to play games( profits and all that).

PS4 has a very slow HDD. It is a mechanical system so it takes a second for the head to get in position. If the disk is full the head has to travel further. Think of it like a DVD, 45 RPM record, and LP(33 RPM) record. Imagine there being random colored dots scattered on all of those. Say there is red, blue, green, yellow, and orange dots scattered from the inside of discs to the outside of the discs.

I want you to take a pencil and touch those dots in the same color order on every disc, BUT you have to move the pencil at the exact same speed between the dots regardless of the disc you are on. While those dots are in the same order on the disc from inside to out( for consistency in this explanation), i dont need those dots in the order they are in. So your going to have to go back and forth on each disc to collect all the dots in the order i need them.

Now on the DVD, it goes decently fast. On the 45 RPM, its a bit slower. On the LP, It is a lot slow. Because the LP is so much bigger than the DVD your pencil has to travel a much greater distance.

What i just explained to you is the same HDD at 25%, 50%, 75% full that needs to be defragged. When you clean your HDD you free up space on it which means you can fit everything in that 50% area instead of the 75% area. When you defrag your HDD, you put all those dots in the order they go on as close to the center of that disc as you can get them.

Now the OS determines where files need to be typically in regards to use. the OS is always closest to center. Then programs in order of frequency used and rarely used data on the outside. This makes the HDD more efficient and thus when it is reading and writing for ESO it doesnt have to write files in small blocks scattered on the drive or on the inefficient outer rim nor does it have to move around as much to read them again.

This is true of all HDDs regardless of what device they are in or what OS manages them. How much user participation is required is what varies. For example, my OS is setup that my HDD is defragged when windows determines it needs it. I believe XBOX also has this and thus Xbox users never have to defrag their consoles. I might be wrong on that as i dont know a great deal about Xbox.

SSDs also get fragmented but not as badly as HDDs. Fragmentation also doesnt have the severe impact on SSD as it does on an HDD. So you might need to defrag a SSD every 20 times for every 1 of an HDD for example. It also depends on how you use your drive. IF you do a lot of saves, and save rewrites, and delete and add games and other such stuff it will get fragmented faster.
    • mystkldrgnb14_ESO
      mystkldrgnb14_ESO
      ✭✭✭

Can anyone explain to me why TESO is the only game that BSOD my system (PC!) as soon as I turn up any graphics above "low" - esp. Shadows?

A problem I didn't have six months ago. Was playing at Ultra/High graphic settings just fine - and some random patch happens, and ever since then the game BSOD my system if I attempt to play with graphics above low.

Customer Support has been useless - but I did try. They just insist its my hardware and give me no further guidance. Posted in the forums here for support - no one can really help - they send me back to CS which sends me to hardware.

But I've run every test I can find - no issues. Memtest, graphics card tests and tests under loads, HD tests, etc. All "no problems detected."

I play RDR2 offline and online - no issues. (Graphics on medium to ultra - including shadows on high - 40-60FPS in game online/offline). I play Outer Worlds on High/Ultra graphics - not a single problem. WoW, SWTOR< every other mmo I play - no problems.

Load up TESO - go from "low" to medium and BSOD immediately. Sometimes I can get the other settings working at medium (sometimes higher!) but as soon as Shadows goes from off/low to medium - BSOD.

WTH?!