The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

ESO Server Jobs available NOW

• Bam_Bam
    Bam_Bam
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    essi2 wrote: »
    Is this taken from the ESO website or the ZOS website? @Bam_Bam

Because ZOS as I understand it has another project in development.

It was from a retweet by Gine -
    Joined January 2014
    PC EU - PvE & BGs & PvP (Vivec)
    Grand Master Crafter

#DiscordHypeSquad

Stream
    Lims Kragm'a
    Bam Bam Bara
  • ccfeeling
    ccfeeling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Where is the Nerf Engineer?
  • Bam_Bam
    Bam_Bam
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    essi2 wrote: »
    Is this taken from the ESO website or the ZOS website? @Bam_Bam

Because ZOS as I understand it has another project in development.

Meant to add the actual page. oops. lol

https://www.zenimaxonline.com/careers
    ZENIMAX ONLINE STUDIOS
    WE'RE HIRING
    ZENIMAX ONLINE STUDIOS is hiring for both The Elder Scrolls Online and multiple unannounced projects. We’re growing to meet the demands of our players and industry, so we’re looking for talented, self-motivated people of varied experiences and backgrounds with the desire to make great games. Join us!

Art
    Technical Artist (Mobile)
    Senior Art Pipeline Engineer
    Principal Technical Artist
    Senior Technical Artist (Character Systems)
    Senior Technical Artist (Animation)
    Principal Lighting Artist
    Senior Technical Animator
    Animation Outsourcing Manager
    Motion Capture Animator

Design
    Senior Technical Designer
    Senior Writer
    Senior Systems Designer
    Lead Level Designer
    Lead Gameplay Camera Designer
    Senior Product Manager (ESO)
    Senior Systems Designer

Production
    Senior Producer (Mobile)

Programming
    Senior AI Engineer
    Lead Server Engineer
    Senior Server Engineer
    Server Engineer
    Tools Engineer
    Senior Gameplay Engineer
    Senior UI Engineer
    Backend Engineer
    Senior Tools Engineer
    Animation Engineer
    Gameplay Engineer
    Lead Gameplay Engineer
    Senior Graphics Engineer
    Director of Infrastructure Engineering
    Senior Audio Engineer
    Lead Tools Engineer
    Technology Manager
    UI Engineer

Join a great team and start your massively multiplayer career with us!
    ZENIMAX ONLINE STUDIOS is hiring for The Elder Scrolls® Online, Commander Keen, and future projects. We’re looking for talented, self-motivated people of varied experiences and backgrounds with the desire to make great games. Welcome to ZOS!
    Joined January 2014
    Grand Master Crafter

#DiscordHypeSquad

Stream
    Lims Kragm'a
    Bam Bam Bara
  • Bam_Bam
    Bam_Bam
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lead Server Engineer
    DEPARTMENT: PROGRAMMING; DIVISION: ZENIMAX ONLINE STUDIOS; LOCATION: HUNT VALLEY MD
    Overview
    ZeniMax Online Studios is looking for a Lead Server Engineer for The Elder Scrolls Online to lead server development for a team of engineers. This position will also work closely with game designers to implement and iterate on game features.

Responsibilities
    • Lead the server engineering team in the design and implementation of server technology
    • Define and maintain the overall technological design for all server systems
    • Design, architect, and refine backend game systems throughout the development cycle of the project
    • Work directly with messaging and database frameworks to provide base-level functionality for feature development
    • Troubleshoot and respond to server emergencies in the live game
    • Work with Technical Producer to prioritize and schedule work for engineers on your team

Senior Server Engineer
    DEPARTMENT: PROGRAMMING; DIVISION: ZENIMAX ONLINE STUDIOS; LOCATION: HUNT VALLEY MD
    Overview
    ZeniMax Online Studios is looking for a Senior Server Engineer for The Elder Scrolls Online to implement and maintain backend game systems across our client/server architecture. This position will work closely with game designers to implement and iterate on game features.

Joined January 2014
    Grand Master Crafter

#DiscordHypeSquad

Stream
    Lims Kragm'a
    Bam Bam Bara
  • danno8
    danno8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Danikat wrote: »
    Great opportunity for all those people who are certain they could do a better job than ZOS. Now you can!

Developers are like the Healers and Tanks of MMO's. Everyone thinks they can do a better job, but nobody wants to actually be them.
  • Cążki
    Cążki
    ✭✭✭✭
    Make PvP open world server
    Altmer skooma dealer.
    PC-EU

• ZOS_RogerJ
    ZOS_RogerJ
    ✭✭✭✭
    Greetings! As some comments have been removed, please keep the thread civil and constructive.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
  • pod88kk
    pod88kk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Danikat wrote: »
    Great opportunity for all those people who are certain they could do a better job than ZOS. Now you can!

Depends on if the accounting department will let them though.
  • ArchMikem
    ArchMikem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't know why Gina would be acting all mysterious about it since ZOS already announced that Commander Keen game. Unless they're working on a second new title alongside.

I wouldn't completely discount the idea of an ESO 2. The game is nearing six years old now with several DLC content and three Chapters released with the fourth months away, not to mention all the performance issues the dated Engine and the networking has. If they start working on it now, they could have it ready sometime after Chapter four and five.
    CP1,900+ Master Explorer - AvA One Star General - Console Peasant - The Clan
    Quest Objective: OMG Go Talk To That Kitty!
  • Shantu
    Shantu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    RefLiberty wrote: »
    Yep, so anybody that's used the word "incompetent" to describe the devs over the past month, feel free to step right up and show us your expertise.

Indeed, the forum is full of server engineers, I bet they all have the requirements for Lead Server Engi. What a great opportunity to directly have the influence in fixing game performance issues :D

Criticism has its place. If I buy a car and it breaks down before I get out of the dealership, I don't have to be a mechanic to know they probably suck at servicing cars. Nor to I need to be a chef to know that crap tastes bad. :/

When performance issues with a product are ignored for years and "fixed" things stay broken, it's not unreasonable to assume a level of incompetence. Every organization has areas of incompetence. The trick is identifying and resolving it.
  • Bam_Bam
    Bam_Bam
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ArchMikem wrote: »
    wouldn't completely discount the idea of an ESO 2. The game is nearing six years old now with several DLC content and three Chapters released with the fourth months away, not to mention all the performance issues the dated Engine and the networking has. If they start working on it now, they could have it ready sometime after Chapter four and five.
    Agreed.

Considering ESO was their first (only?) attempt at an MMO, coupled with their experiential knowledge from developing ESO and the new technologies since ESO's release, and ESO 2 must be a very tempting prospect for them.

There is also a multitude of ways they could do it as well.
    I quite like the idea of 3 different mega-servers - all share the same skills and equipment - PvP, PvE and RP. A player could then buy access to any of them and once purchased, could travel instantly from one to the other. By separating them, you would have much stronger communities and a lot of the toxicity between factions (eg PvP vs PvE) would be removed.

Joined January 2014
    Grand Master Crafter

#DiscordHypeSquad

Stream
    Lims Kragm'a
    Bam Bam Bara
  • furiouslog
    furiouslog
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Their Glassdoor reviews are interesting. A handful of respondents reported that they hire to fix time issues instead of fixing the issues that cause time management problems. There is also a lot of positive feedback and a handful of accusations of toxicity, but you get that in every company.

I didn't know that they were located in Rockville. They could balance resources better by moving to an area with similarly available technical competence and lower cost of living. Or outsource, but they've probably already done that to the extent possible.
  • Nyladreas
    Nyladreas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Bam_Bam wrote: »
    wouldn't completely discount the idea of an ESO 2. The game is nearing six years old now with several DLC content and three Chapters released with the fourth months away, not to mention all the performance issues the dated Engine and the networking has. If they start working on it now, they could have it ready sometime after Chapter four and five.
    Agreed.

Considering ESO was their first (only?) attempt at an MMO, coupled with their experiential knowledge from developing ESO and the new technologies since ESO's release, and ESO 2 must be a very tempting prospect for them.

I quite like the idea of 3 different mega-servers - all share the same skills and equipment - PvP, PvE and RP. A player could then buy access to any of them and once purchased, could travel instantly from one to the other. By separating them, you would have much stronger communities and a lot of the toxicity between factions (eg PvP vs PvE) would be removed.

ESO 2 will never happen. Period. I really want to know why people keep bringing up the idea of ESO 2. It's utopic. And if it DID happen it would imho actually hurt the community and the game, and even the company as a result due to instantly becoming split.

If you think of ESO 2 as a major upgrade to the game, then it's nothing more than a huge patch, regardless of whether you'd have to install it separately or not, hence making everything said here irrelevant.
    Edited by Nyladreas on December 10, 2019 2:22PM
  • notvenousdrake
    notvenousdrake
    ✭✭✭
    I agree

(Btw rip juice wrld)
  • SantieClaws
    SantieClaws
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Um dare this one ask what a 'Backend Engineer' is?

Isn't the more usual term for that kind of thing 'Apothecary'.

Yours with paws
    Santie Claws
    Shunrr's Skooma Oasis - The Movie. A housing video like no other ...
    Find it here - https://youtube.com/user/wenxue2222

Clan Claws - now recruiting khajiit and like minded others for parties, fishing and other khajiit stuff. Contact this one for an invite.

PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

https://www.imperialtradingcompany.eu/
  • ManwithBeard9
    ManwithBeard9
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I don't know why Gina would be acting all mysterious about it since ZOS already announced that Commander Keen game. Unless they're working on a second new title alongside.

I wouldn't completely discount the idea of an ESO 2. The game is nearing six years old now with several DLC content and three Chapters released with the fourth months away, not to mention all the performance issues the dated Engine and the networking has. If they start working on it now, they could have it ready sometime after Chapter four and five.

Every time they talk about the new game, it's labeled as a brand new AAA IP, so no, not Commander Keen and not ESO 2.
  • ArenGesus
    ArenGesus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep, so anybody that's used the word "incompetent" to describe the devs over the past month, feel free to step right up and show us your expertise.

Indeed, the forum is full of server engineers, I bet they all have the requirements for Lead Server Engi. What a great opportunity to directly have the influence in fixing game performance issues :D

Qualifications
    5+ years of software development experience
    Proficient in C++
    Experience with network game client/server architecture
    Experience with SQL
    Solid architecture skills and attention to detail
    Ability to write clear, maintainable, portable code
    Strong debugging skills

Preferred Skills
    Previous management experience
    Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or equivalent experience
    MMO development experience
    Experience in a "Live" environment (ongoing support of a product after launch)
    Experience with Linux development
    Experience working with AMQP platforms

Lol, yeah I imagine everybody who says "check your internet or get an SSD" will be applying.
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nyladreas wrote: »
    Agreed.

ESO 2 will never happen. Period. I really want to know why people keep bringing up the idea of ESO 2. It's utopic. And if it DID happen it would imho actually hurt the community and the game, and even the company as a result due to instantly becoming split.

If you think of ESO 2 as a major upgrade to the game, then it's nothing more than a huge patch, regardless of whether you'd have to install it separately or not, hence making everything said here irrelevant.

One possibility is it's because ESO attracts lots of people who don't normally play MMOs and that's how it works in single-player games. Patches will fix bugs and glaring issues with simple solutions, DLC/expansions will add content but if you think anything about the game is fundamentally flawed you don't expect it to change, you hope there will be a sequel and that will be one of the changes.
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • Goregrinder
    Goregrinder
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Qualifications
    5+ years of software development experience
    Proficient in C++
    Experience with network game client/server architecture
    Experience with SQL
    Solid architecture skills and attention to detail
    Ability to write clear, maintainable, portable code
    Strong debugging skills

Preferred Skills
    Previous management experience
    Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or equivalent experience
    MMO development experience
    Experience in a "Live" environment (ongoing support of a product after launch)
    Experience with Linux development
    Experience working with AMQP platforms

Yup, they've been talking the talk for years how ZOS should fix their ***, and how they could do a better job....back seat driving this whole time.

Well, here are the qualifications required to actually get in the drivers seat, now people can go fix the servers how they think it should be fixed. Based on how much whining I have seen on the forums, and complaining about how ZOS sucks, I definitely expect ZOS is going to suddenly get flooded with resumes now. There is just NO WAY we have people who talk the talk, but can't walk the walk.
  • Goregrinder
    Goregrinder
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Shantu wrote: »

Criticism has its place. If I buy a car and it breaks down before I get out of the dealership, I don't have to be a mechanic to know they probably suck at servicing cars. Nor to I need to be a chef to know that crap tastes bad. :/

When performance issues with a product are ignored for years and "fixed" things stay broken, it's not unreasonable to assume a level of incompetence. Every organization has areas of incompetence. The trick is identifying and resolving it.

Yes, from your point of view something either works, or doesn't. You can definitely tell if it doesn't works....which is fine. But you take it to a mechanic when it doesn't work, because you yourself do NOT have the knowledge to determine WHAT is wrong, and HOW to fix it, and how LONG it will take to fix it.

The moment you step into the back of the shop, and start telling the mechanic how they should be fixing your car....well now there is a problem. Same with ZOS server and network engineers...you think you know HOW to fix their problem? You think what they are doing is the wrong way to fix it? Hm interesting...go put your money where your mouth is and go apply, and show them the error in their ways.

To Recap: Voice your concern that SOMETHING isn't working, is perfectly fine. As a consumer, that is within your scope of interaction of said product or services or goods. You call them and say "Hey object XYZ isn't working, here are the symptoms...", then you hand off the issue to them, and revert to their expertise. But that is where your part of the journey ends, right there. So you wait.....and wait, and wait until they have an up date, or a solution. Don't like waiting? Go get the proper certs, experience, knowledge, troubleshooting skills, become that engineer's boss, and boss them around all you want. Otherwise, state your issue, answer their questions, then sit down and stop moving your metaphorical sound whole. It's pretty simple actually.
  • Mr_Walker
    Mr_Walker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    The logical fallacy prevalent in this thread seems to be you need to be able to do a better job than someone who is doing a poor job to be able to say "they're doing a poor job".

Wrong.
  • Goregrinder
    Goregrinder
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Mr_Walker wrote: »
    The logical fallacy prevalent in this thread seems to be you need to be able to do a better job than someone who is doing a poor job to be able to say "they're doing a poor job".

Wrong.

I believe the logic is that people can now put their money where their mouth is. They can now apply for all of the server related jobs, get hired, and finally fix all of the server problems in one weekend, which is something ZOS apparently "should" be able to do.

Well now it's your chance hot shots...lead by example, show us how GGEZ it is!
  • Heatnix90
    Heatnix90
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    By separating them, you would have much stronger communities and a lot of the toxicity between factions (eg PvP vs PvE) would be removed.
    Hahahahahaha you poor naive soul
    Mr_Walker wrote: »

Wrong.

I believe the logic is that people can now put their money where their mouth is. They can now apply for all of the server related jobs, get hired, and finally fix all of the server problems in one weekend, which is something ZOS apparently "should" be able to do.

Well now it's your chance hot shots...lead by example, show us how GGEZ it is!
    Why waste time on a dead project when one could waste that same time on something more fun and fulfilling?

Also I'm pretty sure no one's said that all of this is solvable within the timespan of a weekend, now you're just putting words where they never were and trying to validate your point with exaggerations.

(Could still probably balance better than Gil tho LULW)
    Edited by Heatnix90 on December 11, 2019 3:45AM
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Alcast wrote: »
    That list is from here: https://jobs.zenimax.com/jobs?department=&located=&location=11

Most of these jobs are for a new IP that just started putting the team together, under the lead of Ben Jones. Not all though, some of the jobs are also directed directly at ESO. For example this job Lead Server Engineer is for ESO accoreding to the overview.

Oh dear god why did you have to tell these people....

OKAY BEFORE ANYONE STARTS SCREAMING AND PANICKING WITH UNFOUNDED JOY, IT WILL NOT BE ESO 2.

[snip]

New IP likely is a completely new title that has nothing to do with any of bethesda's previous works. Likely something Zenimax wants to call its own.

[edited for inappropriate content]

Could be Starfield, if the rumors about that having a multiplayer mode are true.
  • Heatnix90
    Heatnix90
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Alcast wrote: »
    That list is from here: https://jobs.zenimax.com/jobs?department=&located=&location=11

Most of these jobs are for a new IP that just started putting the team together, under the lead of Ben Jones. Not all though, some of the jobs are also directed directly at ESO. For example this job Lead Server Engineer is for ESO accoreding to the overview.

Oh dear god why did you have to tell these people....

OKAY BEFORE ANYONE STARTS SCREAMING AND PANICKING WITH UNFOUNDED JOY, IT WILL NOT BE ESO 2.

[snip]

New IP likely is a completely new title that has nothing to do with any of bethesda's previous works. Likely something Zenimax wants to call its own.

[edited for inappropriate content]

Could be Starfield, if the rumors about that having a multiplayer mode are true.

Pretty sure Bethesda Softworks can ruin their own game without having to outsource to Zenimax Online to ruin it for them. Just look at Fallout 76.