The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Steam launcher crashing after launch screen...

huntgod_ESO
huntgod_ESO
✭✭✭✭✭
For the last 3 days if I launch the game through Steam it opens up, logo screen, then black screen and infinite loading circle, after 10+ minutes still a black screen and if I click on it I get the option to wait for program or close it.

I can launch the game fine using just eso64.exe, but if I load through the Steam launcher it fails every time.

Not sure if I should be reporting this here or on Steam.
--- HuntGod ---
Officer of the Unrepentant
www.unrepentantgaming.com
  • ZOS_Bill
    ZOS_Bill
    admin
    @huntgod_ESO

Here are some changes you may need to make to get the ESO launcher working correctly with Steam.

1. The .exe that Steam requires to be launched to be compatible with the Steam overlay is not actually eso.exe, but a file called "zosSteamStarter.exe". If your Steam library is "pointing" to the wrong .exe file, it won't launch from the library. The correct file "zosSteamStarter.exe" will usually be in the following directory:

Steam\Steamapps\Common\Zenimax Online

After locating "zosSteamStarter.exe", right click it to run it as an administrator. You may want to set it to permanently run as an administrator in your Compatibility tab. You can also create a shortcut to this .exe to use it more easily in the future; this is the .exe that must be run to access the Steam overlay and log your Steam play hours.

2. In order for "zosSteamStarter.exe" to log the information such as play hours properly, you may have to lower your Windows UAC (User Account Control) settings. Lowering User Account Control settings to the minimum will allow Steam to gather this data properly.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
  • huntgod_ESO
    huntgod_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It appears to be working again since the most recent patch.
    --- HuntGod ---
    Officer of the Unrepentant
    www.unrepentantgaming.com