The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [EXTENDED] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

Forum Avatar Icons - What are they?!?

VeronicaStormborn
Is there a list somewhere that shows the different avatar icons next to a brief description (or even just a name) of the image?
There are many that show something I've not yet seen in-game and I don't like having a profile pic if I don't know what it is.
(I want to choose something that I think is pretty *and* that I'm familiar with or at least grasp the basics of its origin.)
I recognize some of the images from promotional art released in wallpapers on the website (like the Dunmer warden image) but there are many more I'm unfamiliar with.
If this list exists somewhere else on the internet, could you point me in the right direction?
If it doesn't exist, can you help me build it? If everyone commented with a description of the icons they know, I could compile them into a graphic/list for every available icon.

I apologize if this has been covered in a previous thread, but I spent most of the morning searching and couldn't find anything.

Thanks in advance.
My in-game name is @ VeronicaStormborn

May all your hits be crits and all your loot epics!
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It might be easier if you said which ones you can't identify.

There's plenty of symbols showing class icons, spell glyphs, Daedra, Divines, flags, creatures, and people.

You've got the Sorcerer class icon right now, for what that's worth.

Here's a discussion over some of the glyphs, if those were among the ones confusing you: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/452897/eso-forum-mystery-what-are-these-mysterious-icons-mean/
    Edited by VaranisArano on August 31, 2019 6:44PM
  • VeronicaStormborn
    It might be easier if you said which ones you can't identify.

There's plenty of symbols showing class icons, spell glyphs, Daedra, Divines, flags, creatures, and people.

You've got the Sorcerer class icon right now, for what that's worth.

Here's a discussion over some of the glyphs, if those were among the ones confusing you: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/452897/eso-forum-mystery-what-are-these-mysterious-icons-mean/

Okay, let's see...
    I'll skip over the first few as I recognize them from official wallpapers/artwork as representing characters.
    The one I have highlighted in this first pic is a mystery to me. It appears to be a star in the center with Jone and Jode circling around it, but I don't know where the image is from or what it signifies.
    elt7WEP.png
    That one, the paw print to the left of it, and all the way down to the hourglass, I don't know what any of those are.
    The hourglass onward appear to be icons representing the Divines as I see two for Dibella.

lQlJtMZ.png
    In this set, I recognize a seducer and some other daedra characters. The black icons on red backgrounds appear to reference Daedric Princes. I don't know who the lady with the winged helm is.

Set 3:
    G5s0KVy.png
    I think I see a wispmother, 2 of those gross old bird-ladies (?), a nereid, some trolls, a lurcher, 3 different spriggans, a couple of screaming ghostly characters{??}, some werewolves, and icons representing things I'm not familiar with.

Set 4:
    VXUcmwZ.png
    I see some daedra, a dremora, pets (housecat, dog, etc), mounts (horses), some daedric bosses, a weird skeletal ostrich (?), and maybe pics of motif armor.

Set 5:
    u4bDdw4.png
    Bears, 3 different types of goats, echateres, chub loon, horker, more motifs (?), hagraven?, a durzog, and some faces from official art.

Set 6:
    2cJwCEE.png
    Dark Brotherhood stuff, lots of skulls, that awesome door with the Night Mother and Sithis, Thieves Guild stuff including the lady of the sewers, a purple nixad, not sure what the yellow/black triskelion represents, that guy in the pic from the DB artwork that gets stabbed by the DB girl, a skeleton that represents my permanent mood, and a haj mota, and some more pics I don't recognize.

Set 7:
    rnQ728H.png
    Grayed-out elves (?), Ashlander motif maybe, battleground teams, generic characters, some more motifs, that pretty Dunmer warden and her bear next to a Star Trek-looking elf guy, more generic characters(?).

Set 8:
    82LXcMN.png
    Generic characters, a wasp, one of those pterodactyls, a lady with a blue half-face tattoo, one of those molten dudes that comes out of the flaming dung piles, maybe Naryu, a clockwork raptor thingie, and the icon for Morrowind.

With most of these, I'm left wondering "why?" but I'm not very well-versed in TES lore, so I'm sure there's a lot I'm missing.
    I know most of the spell/rune icons, like the sorcerer one as you pointed out (one of the few I know, that's why I'm using it). There were some daedric runes I wasn't familiar with but according to the link you posted, they don't really mean anything.

Any help you can offer, any gaps you can fill in, I'd greatly appreciate it.
    Thanks!

• VeronicaStormborn
    Searching online, I found some helpful information so I'll post it here.
    The black icons on red backgrounds are the Daedric Princes' emblems and they're ordered alphabetically, same as they are on the wiki (Azura first, Vaermina last).

The icons like the one I chose of the thunderstorm (gray on a black background) are options for guild tabards, found here. The one with the wolf howling at Jone and Jode is super cute, but I don't yet have a werewolf so didn't find it as fitting as this 'storm'.

• VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    1. I didnt recognize those either.
    2. Winged helmet lady is the Ancient Elf helmet motif.
    3. These are more creatures. Bird-ladies are hagravens. I'm not sure what the last 4 icons are supposed to be of. The door with snakes and the horned head on it is from Craglorn.
    4. Skeletal ostrich is awesome! I don't know where its from, but its cool. The armor is Ebonheart Pact and Daggerfall Covenant motifs.
    5. AD motif, the Orsinium Motifs, and this time the bird lady is a harpy.
    6. I don't remember the black and yellow one. The bottom part has the black Wolf symbol of Kvatch, minotaurs, Order of the Hour motifs, and then it segues into the Shadows of the Hist motif helmets.
    7. I'm not sure which you mean as Star Trek guy. The final generic guys are the redoran motif.
    8. Blue tattoo lady is similar to the Buoyant Armiger face tattoos, which I suspect because she's close to Vivec.

Hope that helped with some of them!

Edited: the black and yellow one is smack in the middle of the Dark Brotherhood DLC set of icons, so I'd guess its from something in that.
    Edited by VaranisArano on August 31, 2019 11:16PM
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Found it! Gold Coast Trading Company. https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Online:Gold_Coast_Trading_Company
    150px-ON-logo-Gold_Coast_Trading_Company.png

• VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I suspect, though I'm not certain, that the greyed-out-elves are art of statues. The rose-crowned Lady looks a lot like the statue of Azura in the cave: https://eso.mmo-fashion.com/statue-of-azura-queen-of-dawn-and-dusk/ The daedric-looking guy on the end reminds me of the statues we have of Malacath: https://eso.mmo-fashion.com/malacath-god-of-oaths-and-curses/

Unfortunately, I don't see a close match to the others.
  • VeronicaStormborn
    1. I didnt recognize those either.
    2. Winged helmet lady is the Ancient Elf helmet motif.
    3. These are more creatures. Bird-ladies are hagravens. I'm not sure what the last 4 icons are supposed to be of. The door with snakes and the horned head on it is from Craglorn.
    4. Skeletal ostrich is awesome! I don't know where its from, but its cool. The armor is Ebonheart Pact and Daggerfall Covenant motifs.
    5. AD motif, the Orsinium Motifs, and this time the bird lady is a harpy.
    6. I don't remember the black and yellow one. The bottom part has the black Wolf symbol of Kvatch, minotaurs, Order of the Hour motifs, and then it segues into the Shadows of the Hist motif helmets.
    7. I'm not sure which you mean as Star Trek guy. The final generic guys are the redoran motif.
    8. Blue tattoo lady is similar to the Buoyant Armiger face tattoos, which I suspect because she's close to Vivec.

Hope that helped with some of them!

Edited: the black and yellow one is smack in the middle of the Dark Brotherhood DLC set of icons, so I'd guess its from something in that.

Your comments have been super helpful, thank you!
    "Star Trek elf-guy" is the one I have highlighted here:
    ZUf3g9l.png
    He looks like a retro Vulcan but I assume he's an Altmer. His illustration looks like it belongs in one of those wallpaper/art pieces, so I assume he's from one of them, I just haven't found him in one yet.
    After I wrote my comment yesterday, I looked back over the icons again and realized that I'd mistaken the harpy for a hagraven. When I first started typing, I had correctly identified the hagravens but when I went back over my comment, I edited it and messed up.
    I then also recognized Vivec and the lady with the blue face tattoos.
    I think the zombie ostrich is cool, too! I'd just never seen anything like it before.

If I get a chance, I'll try to label all the icons for future players looking for this information. It would be nice if, while choosing an avatar, there was a little tooltip with the icon's name as you hover over or select it.

When was the last time they added new avatars? Was it Morrowind? I don't see anything that screams either Summerset or Elsweyr, and I assume if I did they'd be under the Morrowind ones because they'd be more recent. I'd love something reminiscent of the Crystal Tower or Psijic stuff.

Do you know if one of this is some kind of wraith/ghost and the other a wispmother? The frosty screaming lady (second set below) looks cool but I don't know what/who she is.
    q54QSsf.png
    orbfpVB.png

ps: I wish I could change my forum name. I don't even have a character by this name anymore. *sigh*

• VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd guess that screaming lady is indeed a wispmother. The other is probably a generic wraith or ghost.

Given that Star Trek Elf dude is in the middle of the Morrowind icons, I'd guess he's Dunmer in a weird lighting, but I don't know what art he is from.
    Edited: I say that, and then I promptly find the concept art here: https://www.elderscrollsonline.com/en-gb/news/post/26023

I think this is the main thread for Forum name changes: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/109013/how-do-i-change-username-on-forums
    Edited by VaranisArano on September 1, 2019 5:04PM
  • VeronicaStormborn
    Ah, it does say they're both Dunmer Wardens in the interview. Thank you for sharing that!

I'll definitely check out that thread.
    Thank you again!

• SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like spiders ...
  • Ye_Olde_Crowe
    Ye_Olde_Crowe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm a huge fan of skeletal ostriches which is why I chose the guy as my avatar.

Well, in truth I chose this pic because I didn't find a pic of a crow. Actually I thought it was one of those crow wraith guys. Just straight out of bed, unkempt, and without a hat.
    PC EU.

=primarily PvH (Player vs. House)=
  • yRaven
    yRaven
    ✭✭✭✭
    I like female mythical creatures, that's why i'm using this Nereid picture right now, before i used The Female Dremora pic and even before i used The Wispmother pic

So that's it, a Nereid, sea spirits normally found on Valenwood region
    Edited by yRaven on September 2, 2019 9:30PM
    Jack of all trades. Master of at least one.
    -
    Àrës - Magicka Dragonknight (EP)
    Persephónē - Magicka Warden (EP)
    Athēna - Magicka Templar (EP)
    Hādēs - Magicka Necromancer (EP)
    Hërmës - Runner Troll (EP)
  • VeronicaStormborn
    I'm a huge fan of skeletal ostriches which is why I chose the guy as my avatar.

Well, in truth I chose this pic because I didn't find a pic of a crow. Actually I thought it was one of those crow wraith guys. Just straight out of bed, unkempt, and without a hat.

That is hilariously awesome. :D I love the Wraith-of-Crows! (or is it Wraiths-of-Crow? or Wraiths-of-Crows? whatever)
    @VaranisArano thank you for showing me that thread! My forum name now matches my in-game ID. :D

• Syldras
    Syldras
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Set 7:
    rnQ728H.png
    Grayed-out elves (?), Ashlander motif maybe, battleground teams, generic characters, some more motifs, that pretty Dunmer warden and her bear next to a Star Trek-looking elf guy, more generic characters(?).

I know it's been a while, but since OP @VeronicaStormborn is still active: First row last three are the statues of Azura, Sheogorath and Malacath. The first three in the second row St Olms, St Delyn and Vivec. The respective statues of the saints are in Vivec city above the cantons, the Vivec statue is in front of the temple.
    @Syldras | PC | EU
    The forceful expression of will gives true honor to the Ancestors.
    Sarayn Andrethi, Telvanni mage (Main)
    Darvasa Andrethi, his "I'm NOT a Necromancer!" sister
    Malacar Sunavarlas, Altmer Ayleid vampire
  • SidraWillowsky
    SidraWillowsky
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    "Winged helmet lady" isn't the Ancient Elf motif, I don't think- I think that's a Golden Saint, which is a type of Daedra (makes sense since it's among all the other Daedra)

Edit: didn't realize this was a necroed thread...
    Edited by SidraWillowsky on August 6, 2020 2:39PM
  • ZOS_Lunar
    ZOS_Lunar
    admin
    Greetings! Give the age of this thread, we have gone ahead and closed it. You're welcome to continue the discussion, just please make a new thread to do so. Thanks for your understanding, and have a great day.
    The Elder Scrolls Online - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
This discussion has been closed.