The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Playing in Windowed - Window gets smaller by 8 every time I start game.

hope0burns
hope0burns
✭✭✭
Hey, all. I've had this ever since I started playing this game at the beginning of the year, yet my patience with it has worn out so, after searching again and still not being able to find a solution I'm posting this here. I've had this issue, as I said, since I started playing so it was around before any addons or anything else so I can say, without any doubt at all, that this is not, in any way, caused by addons. I play in windowed. Going to fullscreen is not an option nor a fix.

It doesn't matter how I exit the game, pressing the X, exiting via the menu, using task manager, whatever. But the game's window is smaller every single time I start the game. To this extent I've checked the UserSettings.txt file and every single time "SET WindowedHeight" and "SET WindowedWidth" are both set to 8 pixels or w/e fewer than they were when I exited the game previously. This change only happens when I start the game, not when I leave the game. I've checked. Every time I exit the game those measurements are the same as when I started the game but then when I start the game again after exiting the measurements go down by 8 pixels.

This behavior happens whether I log in and play for any amount of time, even hours, or if I just open the game and close it again.

This has happened to at least two other people, the op of this post on reddit has had this happening for years. https://www.reddit.com/r/elderscrollsonline/comments/awvo5d/my_eso_window_shrinks_a_little_each_time_i_open/

The OP finally just decided to put the file into read-only mode, yet I'm not quite willing to do that yet as it isn't, in actuality, a fix. It's just a stopgap. If I have to do that I will, yet I'd, obviously, prefer an actual fix to the situation.

As suggested on the reddit by another poster, I checked that both "SET PregameScreenAdjustEnabled" and "SET PreferMaximizedWindow" were set to 0 for disabled and they both, indeed, are set to such in my file. Just like the OP in that reddit, this is the only game which does this to me. No idea why it does, it just does.

To that extent, does anyone have any idea why my game's window is doing this or, if not that, at the very least how to actually fix the behavior? A fix would be nice so I don't have to do the temporary thing of just stopping the behavior via putting the .txt file to read-only.
  • ZOS_Bill
    ZOS_Bill
    admin
    @hope0burns

Are you able to test temporarily in full screen to see if it affect that mode as well?

What is the current screen size and settings of your monitor?
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
  • hope0burns
    hope0burns
    ✭✭✭
    @ZOS_BillE

I did test in full screen as well as windowed full screen. In both full screen and windowed full screen the game window does not shrink and is the full size of the screen. However once going back to windowed mode the game window starts full screen size and begins to shrink by 8 pixels both in width and length once more every time the game is started through the launcher.

The current size is 1920x1080. Resolution is native 1080p at the previously mentioned size. Orientation is Landscape, there's just one monitor, the scale is at 100%, Refresh rate is 60Hz. I'm not sure what other monitor settings you're looking for, if that's not enough information please be more specific and I'll do my best to get what you're after.

Thank you for your time.
    Edited by hope0burns on August 17, 2019 4:55AM
  • ZOS_Bill
    ZOS_Bill
    admin
    @hope0burns

Thank you for providing these details that this only happens while windowed. In order to investigate further into what is causing this behavior, I recommend that you open a ticket with customer support. Please make sure to include a game consultant report as well.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post