The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Frequent latency spikes

Morgha_Kul
Morgha_Kul
✭✭✭✭✭
For the last week or so, I'm suddenly getting frequent latency spikes. My FPS is fine, and much of the time, my latency reads at around 100-130. However, there are frequent spikes to 999+, and I can find no reason for it.

I've tested my internet connection, and it seems to be fine (average 12ms response time), and I have no problems in any other games or applications. This is not an issue I've had before, it's just been this past week.

Unfortunately, the game is nearly unplayable like this, as I'll be in a fight and suddenly everything will freeze for several seconds at a time before resuming. Interacting with things often takes several seconds before the interaction occurs. It's just not playable.

I don't know if there's anything you can suggest, or if it's something you guys need to fix at your end, but either way, you should be made aware of the problem.

Thanks.
Exploring Tamriel since 1994.
  • Alienoutlaw
    Alienoutlaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    its a feature................but seriously its the game nothing to do with anything your end
  • ZOS_Bill
    ZOS_Bill
    admin
    @Morgha_Kul

There are a few questions we have regarding the latency spikes you're experiencing.
    • Where are you currently located?
    • Which megaserver are you on?
    • Are these spikes happening at a specific time or are they random?
    • What is your ISP?
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
  • Morgha_Kul
    Morgha_Kul
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ZOS_BillE wrote: »
    @Morgha_Kul

There are a few questions we have regarding the latency spikes you're experiencing.
    • Where are you currently located?
    • Which megaserver are you on?
    • Are these spikes happening at a specific time or are they random?
    • What is your ISP?

Greetings!

I personally am in Ontario Canada. My character is in Summerset, near Shimmerene.
    I'm on the NA Megaserver.
    The spikes appear to be random, but are quite frequent.
    I'm using Rogers Cable.

I did recently buy an external hard drive which has been causing some abnormal behaviour from my system. For example, it generally won't connect to my computer (despite being plugged into the USB port) unless I try to log into ESO (and this only happens with ESO). When I do so, the whole PC will freeze up for a few minutes, then the external drive will connect, and the game will log in. It's very peculiar.

So, I disconnected the external drive and rebooted, then ran the game. There was a brief lag spike just after I logged in, but then I went a couple of hours without problems. I plan to play tonight for a bit to see if this "solution" resolves the issues. I'll let you know.
  • Morgha_Kul
    Morgha_Kul
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So, played for a couple of days now with the external drive disconnected, and the issue seems to have resolved. Seems to have been the faulty drive at my end.

Thanks for the attention, though!