The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

[Magicka DK Build] for Elsweyr [BattleRoar 3.0] 5,000 Spell Damage, 19k Stam, Amazing Resists

• Datolite
    Datolite
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Datolite wrote: »
    Plus the MajSorc buff is only 20 secs and requires a target.

No it doesn't.

Was referring to Degeneration and yeah it definitely does.
  • Noobslayer3255
    Noobslayer3255
    ✭✭✭
    s
    Plus the MajSorc buff is only 20 secs and requires a target.

No it doesn't.

Was referring to Degeneration and yeah it definitely does.

figured it was a typo and you meant magsorc referring to surge, my apologies.
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is there a reason you don't put 120 for windrunner?
    Minno - DC - Forum-plar Extraordinaire
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Soul Shriven
    Hello there,

Recently we've had to remove a legion of posts for baiting and flaming, which is against the Forum Rules. For further posts be sure to stay constructive and respectful to avoid action on one's own account.

Thank you for understanding.
    Staff Post
  • Ghostbane
    Ghostbane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Ability slots are sacred.
    {★★★★★ · ★★★★★ · ★★ · ★★★★★}
    350m+ AP PC - EU
    AD :: Imported Waffles [37]EP :: Wee ee ee ee ee [16]DC :: Ghostbane's DK [16], Impending Loadscreen [12]PC - NA
    AD :: Ghostbane [50], yer ma [43], Sir Humphrey Winterbottom 2.0 [18], robotic baby legs [18]EP :: Wee Mad Arthur [50], avast ye buttcrackz [49], Sir Horace Foghorn [27], Brother Ballbag [24], Scatman John [16]DC :: W T B Waffles [36], Morale Boost [30], W T F Waffles [17], Ghostbanë [15]RIPAD :: Sir Humphrey Winterbottom 1.0 [20]
    Addons
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ghostbane wrote: »

They really are lol
    Minno - DC - Forum-plar Extraordinaire
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • NirnStorm
    NirnStorm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @ZOS_AntonioP thank you for clearing the thread. That person went way too far with his outburst and made the thread really difficult to have discussions on.
    It's too bad some of the things me and @BlackMadara said got removed, there were some useful insights regarding sets here, but it's absolutely worth it if we can keep discussing things constructively now and let people enjoy the build.
    100% agreed. An additional skill slot is nearly as valuable as a 5piece effect in my opinion.
    And rattle giving both 100 spd (nearly an enchant worth) and a skill slot is pretty massive to me :)
    Characters: (PC NA)
    Ruerock | mDK ___________________________________ Nirnstorm | Magplar
    Ruepork the Magsorc | Magsorc __________________ Nirnshade | Magblade
    Pay To Warden | Magden _________________________ Moar Siege | Stamsorc
    Necrotic Orb | Magcro ____________________________ Bluerock | mDK
    Thelol Kadjit | Magplar ___________________________ Chalman Keep | Stamden
    Characters: (PC EU)
    Reurock | mDK ___________________________________ Nirnstorm | Magplar
    Refrigerator Boy | Magden _______________________ One Button AoE Stun| Magsorc
    Why So Spearious | Stamplar _____________________ Ree ee ee ee | StamDK
    Faction Locked | Magblade _______________________ Bae Blade| Stamblade
    You Shalk Not Pass | Stamden ____________________ Frag N Cheese | Magsorc

🔥 Nirnstorm.com - Top Tier PvP Builds & Guides 🔥

ESO Stream Team Member
    Twitch
    : Twitch.tv/Nirnstorm
    YouTube: YouTube.com/Nirnstorm
    Community Discord: https://discord.gg/APy9KK3

PvP Guild - Flame - [ Videos ]

Faction Lock contradicts the One-Tamriel concept.
    Please do NOT keep it in the game.
  • JumpmanLane
    JumpmanLane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    NirnStorm wrote: »
    @ZOS_AntonioP thank you for clearing the thread. That person went way too far with his outburst and made the thread really difficult to have discussions on.
    It's too bad some of the things me and @BlackMadara said got removed, there were some useful insights regarding sets here, but it's absolutely worth it if we can keep discussing things constructively now and let people enjoy the build.
    100% agreed. An additional skill slot is nearly as valuable as a 5piece effect in my opinion.
    And rattle giving both 100 spd (nearly an enchant worth) and a skill slot is pretty massive to me :)

If you keep theorycrafting you’ll come up with something neat I’m sure. I’ve laid out why I wouldn’t enjoy that build. Rattlecage underwhelms. I even get the point about an extra slot. I tried Rattlecage for that for a bit...but...what to run? I just didn’t find I needed any extra skill that made changing my playstyle, jump-right-out-at-you beneficial. For it.

Major Sorcery is too easy to get doing other things that give you something else at the same time anyways or you’d be doing things that gave you Major Sorcery ANYWAYS. For example Structured Entropy empowered light attack weaving to proc glyphs, do damage, build ulti, and gain, you guessed it, Major Sorcery.

Hopefully, you’ll take this as constructive criticism and not personal criticism. I get it it’s your build, your baby, you love it. There’s just better stuff to run than Rattlecage. Hmmm...
    Edited by JumpmanLane on June 21, 2019 2:39AM
  • Yiko
    Yiko
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you keep theorycrafting you’ll come up with something neat I’m sure. I’ve laid out why I wouldn’t enjoy that build. Rattlecage underwhelms. I even get the point about an extra slot. I tried Rattlecage for that for a bit...but...what to run? I just didn’t find I needed any extra skill that made changing my playstyle, jump-right-out-at-you beneficial. For it.

Major Sorcery is too easy to get doing other things that give you something else at the same time anyways or you’d be doing things that gave you Major Sorcery ANYWAYS. For example Structured Entropy empowered light attack weaving to proc glyphs, do damage, build ulti, and gain, you guessed it, Major Sorcery.

Hopefully, you’ll take this as constructive criticism and not personal criticism. I get it it’s your build, your baby, you love it. There’s just better stuff to run than Rattlecage. Hmmm...

This doesn't read as constructive criticism - it's condescending more than anything.

Rattlecage is a high-value 5 piece that allows for flexibility in build, namely potions and bar space. I find it hard to believe that a mDK wouldn't be able to find an ability to use given an extra bar slot. On top of that, you don't have to use a GCD (especially one requiring a target) to activate Major Sorcery at the start of a fight. Also, being able to use a potion (like a tripot) reactively for those on-demand effects vs. having to use a potion proactively (like a spellpower potion) can make a large difference in survivability. Also also, DKs will presumably already have Major Prophecy on their front/offensive bar from Cauterize, so Major Prophecy from standard spellpower potions is a bit wasted in that regard. The only other option would be Detection, which isn't always useful either.

Rattlecage is a great fit for the OP's playstyle preferences.

Last thing, I'm a bit confused by "Structured Entropy empowered light attack weaving to proc glyphs, do damage, build ulti, and gain, you guessed it, Major Sorcery."
    Empower lasts for 5s and only affects 1 light attack. Are you repeatedly using Structured Entropy as part of your weave, or are you citing a major strength of Structured Entropy as being 1 Empowered light attack every ~20s or so? Neither of those make sense to me.
    Edited by Yiko on June 21, 2019 5:29PM
  • Glory
    Glory
    Class Representative
    Thanks for continuing to produce content @NirnStorm !

I haven't played Elsweyr mDK yet. My comments for your build:
    • Stats are ridonkulous
    • BSW is highly underrated, many don't understand its full mechanics but is a BIS for mDK
    • Rattlecage is highly valuable on mDK if you don't use spell power pots

I have personally made the switch to spell power pots, but people bashing on Rattlecage don't do a cost-benefit analysis.
    1. You gain TWO 5 piece bonuses.
    2. You gain 1 ability slot (for those critiquing, what skill would you drop? mDK has so many useful skills to choose from that swapping 1 out for entropy is a shame)
    3. The net damage difference from using another damage set (Bright Throat, Juli, etc.) is so negligible after you consider all the damage mitigation (a 100-300 TT difference after Battle Spirit, enemy CP, enemy res is barely anything).

I definitely play my mDK differently, but this shows that mDK has a lot of diversity right now. This build is super strong!
    mDK will rise again.
    Rebuild Necromancer pet AI.

@Glorious since I have too many characters to list

Ádamant

Strongly against Faction Lock
  • JumpmanLane
    JumpmanLane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yiko wrote: »

This doesn't read as constructive criticism - it's condescending more than anything.

Rattlecage is a high-value 5 piece that allows for flexibility in build, namely potions and bar space. I find it hard to believe that a mDK wouldn't be able to find an ability to use given an extra bar slot. On top of that, you don't have to use a GCD (especially one requiring a target) to activate Major Sorcery at the start of a fight. Also, being able to use a potion (like a tripot) reactively for those on-demand effects vs. having to use a potion proactively (like a spellpower potion) can make a large difference in survivability. Also also, DKs will presumably already have Major Prophecy on their front/offensive bar from Cauterize, so Major Prophecy from standard spellpower potions is a bit wasted in that regard. The only other option would be Detection, which isn't always useful either.

Rattlecage is a great fit for the OP's playstyle preferences.

Last thing, I'm a bit confused by "Structured Entropy empowered light attack weaving to proc glyphs, do damage, build ulti, and gain, you guessed it, Major Sorcery."
    Empower lasts for 5s and only affects 1 light attack. Are you repeatedly using Structured Entropy as part of your weave, or are you citing a major strength of Structured Entropy as being 1 Empowered light attack every ~20s or so? Neither of those make sense to me.

I ain’t giving out builds, pointers, nothing. Run what you want to run how you want to run it and best of luck to you.
  • Yiko
    Yiko
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I ain’t giving out builds, pointers, nothing. Run what you want to run how you want to run it and best of luck to you.

Thank you for your preemptive refusal to share what would be unsolicited advice.
    I’ve been testing a MagDk build using Viscous Death.

Really, thank you.
  • JumpmanLane
    JumpmanLane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I give out examples though, in Kaal-whatcha-macallit Cyrodill, solicited or not Hehehehe

I mopped plenty of fools running VD on a MagDk, not exactly best in slot, but not exactly unheard of either.

I ain’t giving out builds tho.
    Edited by JumpmanLane on June 21, 2019 10:25PM
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's a build; if you don't like it or think there's improving to be done then the post as served it's objective by giving you and others something to think about.

I appreciate the contribution OP. I personally don't play mDK (though I have one all leveled) but I still read through such threads getting ideas.
    Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • BlackMadara
    BlackMadara
    ✭✭✭✭
    @JumpmanLane @Yiko

Jump has shared a good portion of at least one build on these forums.

SnB, Ice Staff, full sd jewels, full mag body
    5 BTB 5 Spinner 1 each resistance monster set (chudan, pirate skeleton, etc.)
    Witchmothers potent brew
    Front bar: Fossilize, burning embers, engulfing flames, protective plate, flame lash
    Back bar: Volatile armor, structured entropy, elemental drain, coagulating blood, cauterize* (not sure last slot

High damage, high regen, moderate passive defenses, and lowish hp. A pretty solid, stat stick of a build.

Not my cup of tea due to the low hp, but really solid and consistent. Objectively, it has some major strengths over OP's build. Subjectively, it might not appeal to others, as it has to me. It has given me somethings to think about though.

The beauty of ESO pvp, there is no one best way to do anything, that applies to all situations. This is even more apparent with the fact that certain builds fit certain playstyles.

For example, @NirnStorm may perform better with his own choice of pots and not having to cast a spell power buff at the start of fights. Perhaps he forgets to keep said buff up at times, and that lowers his capabilities. He can then run meditate for quick resource return due to his playstyle. So rattle is a good fit for him.

@JumpmanLane may not have these issues. Perhaps he has run into issues taking too much damage on his front bar, so giving up some offensive pressure for SnB fits. He can then heavy attack for stamina if need be, and build more damage to offset the loss of destro light attacks and passives.

I don't think either of these are wrong, just different.
  • Scamh
    Scamh
    ✭✭✭

Clearly he's using structured entropy as a spammable, duh.

The Upside Down (Stamplar) - Osaka Sewers X (Stamblade) - A Scanner Darkly (Magblade) - Taylor Swiftborn (Stam sorc)
  • JumpmanLane
    JumpmanLane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @JumpmanLane @Yiko

Witchmothers potent brew
    Front bar: Fossilize, burning embers, engulfing flames, protective plate, flame lash
    Back bar: Volatile armor, structured entropy, elemental drain, coagulating blood, cauterize* (not sure last slot

High damage, high regen, moderate passive defenses, and lowish hp. A pretty solid, stat stick of a build.

Not my cup of tea due to the low hp, but really solid and consistent. Objectively, it has some major strengths over OP's build. Subjectively, it might not appeal to others, as it has to me. It has given me somethings to think about though.

The beauty of ESO pvp, there is no one best way to do anything, that applies to all situations. This is even more apparent with the fact that certain builds fit certain playstyles.

For example, @NirnStorm may perform better with his own choice of pots and not having to cast a spell power buff at the start of fights. Perhaps he forgets to keep said buff up at times, and that lowers his capabilities. He can then run meditate for quick resource return due to his playstyle. So rattle is a good fit for him.

@JumpmanLane may not have these issues. Perhaps he has run into issues taking too much damage on his front bar, so giving up some offensive pressure for SnB fits. He can then heavy attack for stamina if need be, and build more damage to offset the loss of destro light attacks and passives.

I SHOULD NOT have given that build out lol. I don’t run it any more except BGS or no cp. It’s solid for those with low cp, you know not max cp. There’s just something slightly better to run than Spinner’s THIS patch. Slightly.

LOW HP IS something I think about but... it kinda doesn’t matter with the heals and the mitigation.

And I’ve shouted this all across the forums. SnB/wings THIS patch lol. (Speed pot immovables stam. I don’t run out of stam). Undo. Backbar ulti for minor protection.

I do want to apologize to Nirn tho. I get it, it’s his build. It works for him. I just couldn’t make Rattlecage work for me. Best of luck.
    Scamh wrote: »

Yup, with 47k Max Magicka it works. At range it’s (after the buffs), Ele Drain, structured Entropy light attack, structured Entropy light attack, until they close or I close.

A friend once said don’t spam Entropy it’s a dot but it’s a crappy dot so who cares. Empower is all right. It’s the reason rattlecage just doesn’t work. I’d still be spamming Structured Entropy...
    Edited by JumpmanLane on June 22, 2019 6:45PM
  • Yiko
    Yiko
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Witchmothers potent brew

For example, NirnStorm may perform better with his own choice of pots and not having to cast a spell power buff at the start of fights. Perhaps he forgets to keep said buff up at times, and that lowers his capabilities. He can then run meditate for quick resource return due to his playstyle. So rattle is a good fit for him.

JumpmanLane may not have these issues. Perhaps he has run into issues taking too much damage on his front bar, so giving up some offensive pressure for SnB fits. He can then heavy attack for stamina if need be, and build more damage to offset the loss of destro light attacks and passives.

Yeah, I wasn't particularly trying to get into build discussion. Just chimed in to state to the doubters why Rattlecage is a viable and valuable set to run. However, I'll glance over the one you linked quickly.

With Bright-Throat's and Witchmother's + a low health problem, you could swap to Double Bloody Mara for higher health and overall stat value, then swap to a regen glyph or Atronach mundus. If I was to run that set-up, I'd swap Cauterize to the front bar, if the build includes it. Also, instead of 1 piece Chudan and 1 piece Pirate Skeleton, I would personally run Bloodspawn.
    Regarding OP's build, I would also change around some things for myself.

Ultimately, that's beside the point. I agree with you that ESO is excellent in allowing players to build according to their preferences and gameplay objectives. That's why I was refuting the players that were saying or implying that Rattlecage was unequivocally an inferior set compared to others. Context has to be taken into account. Yeah, if you changed the context of OP's playstyle preferences and gameplay objectives, other sets could be better, but I don't think anyone was doing that. As Glory nicely put it earlier, most of the people bashing on Rattlecage haven't done a proper cost-benefit analysis.

Lastly, I think your comparison between Nirnstorm and JumpmanLane + their builds was disingenuous. You said "Perhaps he forgets to keep said buff up at times." You're using player input weakness/error from one player with another's build weakness when comparing builds. Make it about the build rather than the player, or at least be consistent. You could say something like "Perhaps he wants a flex spot on his bar." When gauging the effectiveness of a build, it's best to assume relatively high levels of gameplay. That said, I do mostly agree with your sentiment that these builds are not wrong, just different.
    I do want to apologize to Nirn tho. I get it, it’s his build. It works for him. I just couldn’t make Rattlecage work for me. Best of luck.

Yup, with 47k Max Magicka it works. At range it’s (after the buffs), Ele Drain, structured Entropy light attack, structured Entropy light attack, until they close or I close.

A friend once said don’t spam Entropy it’s a dot but it’s a crappy dot so who cares. Empower is all right. It’s the reason rattlecage just doesn’t work. I’d still be spamming Structured Entropy...

Thank you for the distinction that Rattlecage didn't work for you as opposed to it not working in general.

Regarding the Entropy weave.. Over a 10 second period, you can do 14-15 Light Attacks and 8-9 Light Attacks + Ability. This leaves you with roughly 50% more Light Attacks when solely spamming them. I don't know the current math behind Empower, since they've changed damage calculation/mitigation formulas, but even assuming it's a straight 40% increase to Light Attack damage at best, it's not more damage than just using Light Attack 50% more frequently. The instant damage on Entropy is so negligible. It hits for what, 500 being really generous? When you're spamming it, you're not even letting the DoT tick do its damage, so while weaving with Entropy, you're spending around 1300 mana every second or so to do more or less the same total amount of damage as Light Attack spamming would net you. Please correct me if I've misunderstood something, but that just doesn't make sense to me from a value standpoint.
    Scamh wrote: »

TFW your sarcasm is ironically true :D
  • JumpmanLane
    JumpmanLane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

I’m not doing that on a test dummy, I’m doing it on a fool running for his life hehehehe. I’d rather hit him with an empowered light attack EVERY time I hit him before he’s in melee range or hot-footing it around a tree.

I ain’t trying to dazzle nobody with a parse. I’m ghosting fools and reading their hate-tells.

Though lately I been getting a lot of @ZOS_GinaBruno ‘s hate tells. Fools whispering me about packet loss and lag and crap being the ONLY reason I’m doing /dancedunmer over their heads.

“Why you sending ME @ZOS_GinaBruno ‘s hate tells!” generally don’t go over too well...with DEAD folks! Hahaha

Tho Nirn’s build ain’t new. @Sypher ol PK mentioned in passing “you could run Rattlcage BsW how MANY years ago lol in one of his old build videos. That was a WHOLE lotta patches ago...
    Edited by JumpmanLane on June 23, 2019 7:43PM
  • Davadin
    Davadin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    pieratsos wrote: »
    You are doing something very wrong. Some experts in these forums say that DK cant have resistances, dmg and sustain. They say that if you have good dmg then you are surely in light armor with 10k resistances and no sustain and that if you have good resistances then you are surely in heavy with 800 regen and zero dmg. So you must be doing something wrong. Maybe you are cheating.

i see what u did there. lol
    August Palatine Davadin Bloodstrake - Nord Dragon Knight - PC NA - Gray Host
    Greymoor 6.0.7 PvP : Medium 2H/SnB The Destroyer
    Dragonhold 5.2.11 PvE : Medium DW/2H The Blood Furnace
    March 2021 (too lazy to add CP) PvP: Medium DW/Bow The Stabber
  • NirnStorm
    NirnStorm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry peeps! Busy week, haven't had much time to catch up, but I've got so much to respond to now! :)

Allow me to get started!

@Yiko dude. You've written some incredibly wise comments here that I fully agree with. I think you have the right idea in mind and I really appreciate your contribution to this thread.

@BlackMadara I agree with your general point, regarding the fact each class in ESO has more than a couple viable playstyles and different builds that would perform very well. It's true, and it's one of ESOs greatest appeals.
    I disagree with the comparison you've made though. Like @Yiko pointed out, you've compared one setup's strengths to the other setup's specific advantage for lower tier players. So allow me to make a slightly more calculated comparison:

Max health, stam, spell damage and backbar resist are higher with my build (compared to the one you mentioned)
    Max mag, mag rec, frontbar resist and penetration are lower with my build.
    Overall- My build is a lot more damaging while slightly less resistant, while the other is better at regening but less survivable due to lower max health and stam.

Both are viable. Both can be fun. Each suites another playstyle.

@Scamh Omg the moment your sarcastic comment turns out to be actual

@Glory @Waffennacht Thank you guys. I appreciate your positive feedback a ton. Even if we have different playstyles or enjoy different classes, if we can appreciate each others content and ways to enjoy the game, we can keep a positive vibe and enjoy both the game and the forums a lot more.

And last but not least, after his last comment tagging and attacking Gina, I got but one thing to say:

@JumpmanLane Sup.
    Edited by NirnStorm on June 25, 2019 6:54AM

ESO Stream Team Member
    Twitch

• Scamh
    Scamh
    ✭✭✭
    @Scamh Omg the moment your sarcastic comment turns out to be actual

And then @Yiko actually does the math on it lol.

Edited by Scamh on June 26, 2019 5:23PM
    The Upside Down (Stamplar) - Osaka Sewers X (Stamblade) - A Scanner Darkly (Magblade) - Taylor Swiftborn (Stam sorc)
  • NirnStorm
    NirnStorm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    P.S.
    I'll be posting on this thread once I have additional gameplay videos to link.

As promised, here's my first gameplay video with this build this patch. I hope you'll enjoy!

https://youtu.be/F9jslGrXUHM

ESO Stream Team Member
    Twitch