The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Mac Client Gamepad Mode?

Punnyguy
Punnyguy
I have looked all over the ESO website, the forums, and online without finding a definitive answer, so here ya go:

Does the ESO Mac client (which has an option for gamepad mode in settings) support PS4 or Xbox controllers with the built-in gamepad mode? If so, which controllers are supported on the Mac? I have tried a wired PS3 controller (by PowerA) with gamepad mode and it doesn't work, so I'm trying to find out if there is any controller that actually does work or if the gamepad toggle in the Mac client is useless.

Best Answer

• JJBoomer
    JJBoomer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ZOS_BillE wrote: »
    Both the PS4 and Xbox controllers should work on the Mac client when in GamePad Mode.

except that macs require drivers in order for the OS to recognize the controller. You can't just plug in an use a controller with a mac, or connect with one wirelessly. And currently, all available drivers to use a xbox controller on a mac, don't work, i've tried. don't know about PS4, can't imagine much difference though.
    Edited by JJBoomer on November 5, 2018 1:23AM
  • Punnyguy
    Punnyguy
    I found a combo that worked:

Microsoft Xbox Gaming Controller With Cable for Windows (Bluetooth controller with sync cable packaged together and promoted as a Windows PC accessory not an Xbox accessory)

GitHub 360Controller 0.16.10 for Mac

Installed the driver, connected the controller, and the controller was recognized immediately. Logged in, turned on gamepad mode, and...it worked. I haven’t had a chance to really play using it (what with the horrible FPS and all), but all the buttons seemed to work as intended.

A couple of articles I saw claim that a Bluetooth Xbox controller should connect to Macs wirelessly, but I haven’t tested that yet.

https://www.imore.com/how-connect-wired-xbox-360-controller-your-mac

Another thing to consider: The notes on the driver point out that Xbox wired controllers by PDP and PowerA will not work due to some sort of incompatibility with Mac’s USB ports. I found that out the hard way. The PowerA Xbox controller I purchased before I bought the Microsoft controller noted above did not work at all with the driver.
    Edited by Punnyguy on November 9, 2018 4:03PM
  • Delpi
    Delpi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I bought the nimbus controller, the only controller that mac sells and it didn't work on ESO... great...
    "I used to be an adventurer like you. Then I took an arrow in the knee..."