The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Chromium Grains and Plates

Donatelllo
Donatelllo
✭✭✭
The Chromium Grains and Plates are dropping regularly for some people and others I speak to in game are having nothing but problems finding these mats. I personally am one that is not having any luck. All the advice about creating 8 crafters and spending 90% of your time farming nodes to refine the mats are wonderful but if this is the only way to get these extremely rare materials then I honestly believe that the game has been setup by ZOS incorrectly.

It is ridiculous that the drop rate on these items is so varied. I refined 550 platinum dust after saving them up and got 6 grains. This is by far the best drop rate I have had. Since this happened I have not found a single grain and I have refined over 3000 platinum dust. ZOS! Explain that?!

I was excited to say the least about the addition of jewellery crafting but after the last couple of months this I am nothing but disappointed, tired and I feel quite shafted by the game.

I fear that this small message will not only get trolled but more importantly it will go unnoticed by ZOS. Fix the drop rates please! Epic and legendary jewellery crafting tempers are not dropping for so many players out there and it is causing so much unbalance in the game. This is proved by the in game gold prices being charged for said items. Just fix it ZOS. Make it right and not impossible. Please.
  • TheCyberDruid
    TheCyberDruid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Donatelllo wrote: »
    ZOS! Explain that?!

Welcome to the wonderful world of RNG!
    Options
  • Tommy_The_Gun
    Tommy_The_Gun
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ZOS! Explain that?!

ooy9J.gif
    At some point after refining 700 platinum dust and getting only 1 purple Zircon Grain (not even one Chromium Grain) I have a strong... strong suspicion that this RNG is rigged and basically monitors how many grains you have got recently and simply will not let you get more in to short period of time. (yes I have maxed jewellery crafting & skill points put in all jewellery crafting passives). :*
    Options
  • TheCyberDruid
    TheCyberDruid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    At some point after refining 700 platinum dust and getting only 1 purple Zircon Grain (not even one Chromium Grain) I have a strong... strong suspicion that this RNG is rigged and basically monitors how many grains you have got recently and simply will not let you get more in to short period of time. (yes I have maxed jewellery crafting & skill points put in all jewellery crafting passives). :*

Around 6 months ago I had a guy in zone chat complaining that the got 1 temper from refining 3000 raw rubedite ore. I also have moments when I get no legendary mats from refining over 500 mats and then the next day I get 3 legendary mats out of 60 raw leather scraps. It's a 5% chance and you might or might not get it ;)
    Options
  • Donatelllo
    Donatelllo
    ✭✭✭
    You cannot compare clothing, blacksmithing and woodworking upgrade materials to jewellery crafting ones. We all know the drop rate on them is far superior than jewellery. I doubt whether anyone would disagree.
    Options
  • TheCyberDruid
    TheCyberDruid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I doubt whether anyone would disagree.

I disagree. I refine enough materials each day to be able to say that the 5% stands for all 4 refinements. I was/am in ~500 member guilds where enough people provided their odds of getting chronium grains to confirm this. Of course your mileage may vary, but it's not the 5% chance to get the chronium grains it's the 10x requirements and the lesser availability of the raw mats that make it feel *a lot* worse than clothing, blacksmithing or woodworking.
    Options
  • Donatelllo
    Donatelllo
    ✭✭✭
    It has nothing to do with 'feel'. Since release I have only collected 24 grains and I have refined 1000's of dust. I will get drops of 2 per 100 on average of other gold upgrade materials consistently. This so called RNG is not right and needs to be addressed but this is merely my humble opinion based on personal experience.
    Options
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It has nothing to do with 'feel'. Since release I have only collected 24 grains and I have refined 1000's of dust. I will get drops of 2 per 100 on average of other gold upgrade materials consistently. This so called RNG is not right and needs to be addressed but this is merely my humble opinion based on personal experience.

That absolutely has to do with "feel", at least as far as its a small sample size compared to the output of the entire server.

Your RNG sucks, to be sure, but it doesn't tell us a whole lot about the RNG as a whole.

If you want to test this in a way that accumulates a statistically significant sample over a large population, I'd suggest setting up a challenge on the forums. Ask people to refine a large amount of dust (minimum 1 or 2k?), verify they have all 3 refining passives, and record the amount of chromium grains they get. That way we get the raw numbers people get, not the good or bad sessions for RNG that people remember.

That's going to be the only way to test and verify the server side drop rate, which we should expect to be close to 1 grain in 200 dust. I'd be willing to contribute refining results instead of selling the raw dust if,you wanted to organize a test like that.
    Options
  • Runs
    Runs
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    It seems that everybody that actually logs each and every refinement comes to the conclusion that the drop rate is 5%. Log your refinements to over 10k refinements(100k mats) and you should have a big enough sample size to see close to what the real drop rate is. Without actually logging them them we tend to remember the worse times more than the times we've had standard or good rates. This has been true regarding drop rates in each and every game I have played.

Runs| Orc NightbladeChim-el Adabal| Dunmer TemplarM'air the Honest| Khajiit Templar
    Oddity| Altmer SorcerorDrizlo| Orc DragonKnightLady Ra Gada| Redguard Sorceror
    Taste-of-Hist-Sap| Argonian NightbladeWar'den Peace| Khajiit WardenLittle Warden Annie Altmer Warden
    Ports with Blood| Breton TemplarDirty-Old-Man| Dunmer DragonKnightEyes-of-the-Sun| Argonian DragonKnight
    Bleak Mystique| Nord WardenPolychronopolous| Imperial SorcerorBullcrit| Khajiit Nightblade
    PC NA CP 1250+ and still a noob
    At Writs End - A place to complete master writs
    Options
  • redspecter23
    redspecter23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just recently finished 2 weeks of tracking jewelry writs with the following results

346 maximum tier jewelry writs among 27 characters over 14 days
    87 chromium grains received from those writs
    my lowest rate per day was 2/27 and my highest was 12/27
    approximately 25% reward rate for chromium grains from maximum tier daily writs

also from those 346 writs, I received one exemplary swift ring and zero swift necklaces.

I'm also relatively confident that the refinement rate on chromium grains is about 5% though I don't have any hard data to support that.

Options
  • jedtb16_ESO
    jedtb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    if i do the writ on all 11 toons i get 4 or 5 grains a day.
    Options
  • stitchesofdooom
    stitchesofdooom
    ✭✭✭✭
    The Chromium Grains and Plates are dropping regularly for some people and others I speak to in game are having nothing but problems finding these mats. I personally am one that is not having any luck. All the advice about creating 8 crafters and spending 90% of your time farming nodes to refine the mats are wonderful but if this is the only way to get these extremely rare materials then I honestly believe that the game has been setup by ZOS incorrectly.

It is ridiculous that the drop rate on these items is so varied. I refined 550 platinum dust after saving them up and got 6 grains. This is by far the best drop rate I have had. Since this happened I have not found a single grain and I have refined over 3000 platinum dust. ZOS! Explain that?!

I was excited to say the least about the addition of jewellery crafting but after the last couple of months this I am nothing but disappointed, tired and I feel quite shafted by the game.

I fear that this small message will not only get trolled but more importantly it will go unnoticed by ZOS. Fix the drop rates please! Epic and legendary jewellery crafting tempers are not dropping for so many players out there and it is causing so much unbalance in the game. This is proved by the in game gold prices being charged for said items. Just fix it ZOS. Make it right and not impossible. Please.

this "grains" BS has to STOP. We all hate it. And deconstructing jewelry should return PLATINGS, not grains.

Say you refine a purple ring. That purple ring needed to use 3 zircon platings MINIMUM. That's 30 grains... yet you only get one grain back?? You need to deconstruct at least 30 purple rings, and be extremely lucky, to get enough zircon to make a single purple ring.
    With clothing you need a minimum of 6. Not to mention the fact that Summerset must be owned to use the crafting station which I personally think is a little unfair on the peeps who don't own it yet.

CHANGES ZENIMAX NEEDS TO MAKE:

1: Either make grains and pulverized [insert trait item name here] refine into multiple platings [etc] up to 10, depending on refining perks.
    2: Deconstructing be changed to return platings, not grains.
    3: Jewelry Hireling.
    4: Jeweler that sells jewelry, simple jewelry furnishing designs and Jeweler's Sign. I want my Jeweler's Sign.
    5: Allow everyone to craft jewelry. Even if only when you make Summerset a crown-purchasable DLC. Summerset is good enough on its own, you don't need to withhold Jewelry Crafting just to get people to buy it.
    6: Give everyone who already owns Summerset 10 Chromium Plating and 10 Zircon Plating.
    Edited by stitchesofdooom on September 11, 2018 7:08AM
    Say NO to Crown Crates. Crown Crates are Loot Boxes. Loot Boxes are gambling. Zenimax makes enough money off us.
    ESO+ is part of the "Games as a service" trend. A trend that needs to die. Subscribe only when you need Crowns for DLC.
    Say no to "radiant" junk quests replacing proper side content and the dumbing down of our favorite franchises.
    PCMR EU.
    Options
  • bee_tiswasnot
    bee_tiswasnot
    ✭✭✭

It is ridiculous that the drop rate on these items is so varied. I refined 550 platinum dust after saving them up and got 6 grains. This is by far the best drop rate I have had. Since this happened I have not found a single grain and I have refined over 3000 platinum dust.

Jewelry crafting is definitely having teething problems. With maxed out crafters, in most mat refining I get legendary temper drops at the rate of approximately 1% of total material crafted. Sometimes the rng is kinder, and sometimes harsher, but that is what it has worked out at over the years. With jewelry, my impression is that the grains drop at about the same rate, but the problem is that they they then have to be refined and so the drop rate for usuable tempers is actually 0.1%. So, if I am right (something which is not commonly the case), after refining 3000 platinum dust you should end up with something like 3 plates. Not a lot.

By comparison, if I run delves and dungeons, I get epic jewelry drops reasonably frequently. Prices for such rimgs are not sky high in the guild stores, which argues that everyone else gets them too. In practice, I can usually get pairs of epic rings with the traits I want just by spending say a day’s profit from my six crafters. What that means is that there is little encouragement to craft jewelry, except when I need items from sets which are only available by crafting.

Taking all of this into account, where the system breaks down is that if you have high level crafters it is usually possible to arrange things so that you can choose rings for equipping your characters from dropped sets, and so only one of my characters has more than one crafted piece of jewelry—that one has two.

As for doing jewelry writs, forget it bro, I can’t image ever having enough materials spare.

So I agree that this is not the situation ZOS wanted to create and that they have erred on the mean side with grain drops. Bearing in mind the difficulty levelling jewelers, to make the craft work, I reckon that grains will need to drop at least five times more often than they do right now. That would still mean that refining 3000 dust would still only give you 4.5 plates.

Anyone think that five times more often is still mean?
    Options
  • Prabooo
    Prabooo
    ✭✭✭✭
    ZOS! Explain that?!

ooy9J.gif

RNG is sorted by little daedric creatures, snorting skooma up there horns
    Options
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The grind is not what is so bad about Gold Upgrades, it is the teeny tiny itty bitty small difference between Purple and Gold if you do upgrade.

I have 6 Gold Grains so far, and I am not all that worried about it as I doubt I would ever upgrade to Gold.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

Options
  • bee_tiswasnot
    bee_tiswasnot
    ✭✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »
    The grind is not what is so bad about Gold Upgrades, it is the teeny tiny itty bitty small difference between Purple and Gold if you do upgrade.

I have 6 Gold Grains so far, and I am not all that worried about it as I doubt I would ever upgrade to Gold.

That is another problem, to be sure. I just hope this doesn’t develop into another saga with the legs that the ancestor silk/rubedo leather one has!
    Options
  • Linaleah
    Linaleah
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »

IMO, the grind is still bad. why? becasue jewelry upgrades are not the only things that platings are used for. they are also used for furnishings. and the difference between me crafting a praxis that requires a kuta and a sketch that requires a plating - ANY plating, let alone chromium.. is enormous. it tooks me weeks. WEEKS just to be able to craft a single. ancestral. clock. I still have barely enough zircon platings to craft maybe couple of jewelry boxes at most.

even if upgrading gold jewelry is not worth it, which it probably isn't since difference is so tiny.... why is purple jewelry still obscenely difficult to craft?

last but not least, maybe its just my luck, maybe it isn't... but I tend to get maybe... MAYBE one plating for every 2000 grains refined. as of right now, after refining something like 9000 grains between platinum and pewter and doing JC daily writs on at least 4 characters ever since JC came out (only one maxed though, the rest are pewter), 10 characters after nerf to traitor's vault.... I have 6 and a half chromium platings (and when I say have, I mean how many I managed to get. I used up 5 of them so far, one for a clock and 4 to craft a single legendary writ after they changed upgrade costs - to unlock gold dye). this is NUTS.
    Edited by Linaleah on September 10, 2018 4:15PM
    dirty worthless casual.
    Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. Guard your honor. Let your reputation fall where it will. And outlive the ***
    Lois McMaster Bujold "A Civil Campaign"
    Options
  • Amdar_Godkiller
    Amdar_Godkiller
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I got three chromium grains yesterday, but it's been 2 weeks since I've even smelled a kuta...

Though I will say, the best way to get chromium grains seems to be mass refining. I've gotten only 1 from crafting writs and when deconstructing gold jewelry, I only get them slightly better than half the time.

I'm 1 grain away from 2 full plating, so in about 4 months, just you wait. I'll finally have a newly gilded piece of jewelry that will inevitably become worthless within weeks of the upgrade due to the set suddenly being nerfed to oblivion; at which point I'll just go mad, screaching and howling deranged jibberish in zone chat, frightening the womenfolk and the young people alike, as I wade through towns and dungeons wearing nothing but the ring that so warped my gaming reality.
    Options
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They attached this to furniture? Sorry, I toss in a few crafting stations to my homes and call it moved in so I rarely make furniture.

Yea, the whole grains vs platings has to go. But we told them that back in March during play testing. They said they would look at the numbers and adjust if needed. We got an adjustment, just not the one we wanted.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

Options
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If they ever do adjust jewelrycrafting to remove the need for grains, it will probably be when they make Jewelrycrafting available to everyone as part of the base game next year when the latest Chapter replaces Summerset.

I'm not sure how I feel about that possibility.
    Options
  • Jayne_Doe
    Jayne_Doe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    If they ever do adjust jewelrycrafting to remove the need for grains, it will probably be when they make Jewelrycrafting available to everyone as part of the base game next year when the latest Chapter replaces Summerset.

I'm not sure how I feel about that possibility.

I've suspected that JC will become base game next year, but I hadn't really thought about them possibly removing grains at that time. Perhaps, they've been keeping JC pretty tough right now so that all of us who PAID for it aren't actually that far ahead of those who might get if for free next year.

Now, we don't know if it will be free or not - it could just become an account upgrade like the Warden, but I suspect the former.

ETA: The grains system really is the problem. As another poster mentioned, they got maybe one plating after 2000 refinements. If they had been full tempers, they would have had 10. Thus, I think the drop rate is about the same as the others, it's just that you only get 1/10th of the upgrade at a time.

I've managed 2 platings and also have 6 chromium grains. I refined about 3000 dust, and the rest have come from writs. Without the grain system, I would have 26 chromium platings.
    Edited by Jayne_Doe on September 10, 2018 5:56PM
    Options
  • WrathOfInnos
    WrathOfInnos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think trials are the answer here. vAA hard mode gives 2 gold jewelry, which can be deconstructed for chromium grains. It takes about 20-30 minutes with a good group, so averages about 5 grains per hour. This type of farming does not exist for any other gold crafting materials, and incentivizes players to participate in end game content.
    Options
  • Cêltic421
    Cêltic421
    ✭✭✭✭
    I just recently finished 2 weeks of tracking jewelry writs with the following results

346 maximum tier jewelry writs among 27 characters over 14 days
    87 chromium grains received from those writs
    my lowest rate per day was 2/27 and my highest was 12/27
    approximately 25% reward rate for chromium grains from maximum tier daily writs

also from those 346 writs, I received one exemplary swift ring and zero swift necklaces.

I'm also relatively confident that the refinement rate on chromium grains is about 5% though I don't have any hard data to support that.

27 maxed characters wow lol
    Options
  • Cêltic421
    Cêltic421
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think trials are the answer here. vAA hard mode gives 2 gold jewelry, which can be deconstructed for chromium grains. It takes about 20-30 minutes with a good group, so averages about 5 grains per hour. This type of farming does not exist for any other gold crafting materials, and incentivizes players to participate in end game content.

Thats why alot of people doing vhr lately is to deconstruct the gold jewelry but its not a guaranteed grain per gold jewelry.
    Options
  • Linaleah
    Linaleah
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I got three chromium grains yesterday, but it's been 2 weeks since I've even smelled a kuta...

a get a few a day from doing daily writs plus at least one from a hireling. unlike JC grains, I actualy get occasional kuta's on my lowbie crafter alts as well. I see very few of them from actual nodes, but get enough from writ rewards to basically swim in Kutas. and since you only need one per gear piece - they are also pretty cheap in guild stores. I should know, i end up selling off excess pretty much every week.

@ Nestor, yeah platings are required to craft all the new JC sketches from goblets, to jewelry boxes, to adorable miniature statues.
    Edited by Linaleah on September 10, 2018 8:23PM
    dirty worthless casual.
    Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. Guard your honor. Let your reputation fall where it will. And outlive the ***
    Options
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Linaleah wrote: »

@ Nestor, yeah platings are required to craft all the new JC sketches from goblets, to jewelry boxes, to adorable miniature statues..

... also not limited to the Alinor Ancestor Clock (which also requires a chromium plating). Just put one in my house last week.

pGquFGe.png
    Options
  • Linaleah
    Linaleah
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Linaleah wrote: »

@ Nestor, yeah platings are required to craft all the new JC sketches from goblets, to jewelry boxes, to adorable miniature statues..

... also not limited to the Alinor Ancestor Clock (which also requires a chromium plating). Just put one in my house last week.

pGquFGe.png

no its not. I literally just saved up enough to craft ONE of those new statues. will take a few more weeks, if I'm lucky, to save up for more :/ but I'm also really hurting for blue and purple platings. greens are... sorta okeish. I'm still hurting for them but not as badly :/
    dirty worthless casual.
    Options
  • Psiion
    Psiion
    ✭✭✭✭
    Greetings,

Seeing as this thread is quite old and contains information that may no longer be relevant, we've gone ahead and closed it down.
    Options
    Staff Post
This discussion has been closed.