Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Moving ESO to a new PC

FrancisCrawford
FrancisCrawford
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭
Hi! @DarcyMardin and I have ordered new His and Hers computers. At least for me that will include an OS change (Windows 7 to Windows 10 Pro). My question is whether it will be necessary to do a whole install and download, or whether a lot of file copying can safely be in the mix.

I'm hoping the answer is this:
  • Start by going to the appropriate place online, downloading whatever software ZoS offers, and run it.
  • Once that installation has incurred, confirm that whatever the Windows 10 equivalent is to ... Program Data (x860)>Zenimax Online has been created, along with subdirectories such as Launcher and uninstall.
  • Test that the launcher works, but quickly abort it, rather than using it to download all the files.
  • Copy .... Zenimax Online>The Elder Scrolls Online is from the old computer to the new one. (If there already is one on the new computer delete it first.)
  • Do the same thing for Zenimax Online>The Elder Scrolls Online PTS.
  • Do the same thing for ... Users> ... >Elder Scrolls Online.

Should that actually work?
  • ZOS_Bill
    ZOS_Bill
    admin
    @FrancisCrawford

The thread linked below goes over some ways on how to move the ESO installation over to a new PC. The suggestions in this thread may help you out.

Installing on new PC (file transfer?)
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
  • FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    ZOS_BillE wrote: »
    @FrancisCrawford

The thread linked below goes over some ways on how to move the ESO installation over to a new PC. The suggestions in this thread may help you out.

Thanks!

Unfortunately I can't get in the game at all at the moment (my loading screen loads no art and hangs), so it's possible that a reinstall will seem more prudent anyway. :)
  • Thunderclap
    Thunderclap
    ✭✭✭
    I always copy my eso folder which include the "Launcher" and "The Elder Scroll Online" folder to a external disc. and copy this back to the new pc. Start the launcher and all is fine. I have this now made on serveral pc's and laptops. It works always well.
    PC EU - PVP - CP 2300+Win 10 Home 64-bit - 32GB - SSD 1000GBIntel(R) Core(TM) i7-9700K CPU @ 3.60GHz (8 CPUs), ~3.6GHzNVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti
  • Mureel
    Mureel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    ZOS_BillE wrote: »
    @FrancisCrawford

Thanks!

Unfortunately I can't get in the game at all at the moment (my loading screen loads no art and hangs), so it's possible that a reinstall will seem more prudent anyway. :)

@FrancisCrawford
    Close game, rename your addons folder to addons2 or whatever, restart.

Load any char and when that is complete, delete new addons folder, rename addons2 to addons and /reloadui

That should solve it.
    Edited by Mureel on August 14, 2018 1:08PM
  • Mureel
    Mureel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I always copy my eso folder which include the "Launcher" and "The Elder Scroll Online" folder to a external disc. and copy this back to the new pc. Start the launcher and all is fine. I have this now made on serveral pc's and laptops. It works always well.

Quoted so I can find it later! Getting a new pc in a month!
  • FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks, folks!

What actually happened is that I did a Repair which was about a day-long download.

Anyhow, my current plan when the computers arrive is, assuming we network our old and new computers together successfully, is:

1. Set up @DarcyMardin's by a straight copy.
    2. Test that that works.
    3. If it does, set up my computer by copying over her Zenimax folder and my Addons folder.

I want to use her files rather than mine where that makes sense because:

A. She's had fewer problems than I have.
    B. Hers are already running on Windows 10.
  • DarcyMardin
    DarcyMardin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks, folks!

What actually happened is that I did a Repair which was about a day-long download.

Anyhow, my current plan when the computers arrive is, assuming we network our old and new computers together successfully, is:

1. Set up @DarcyMardin's by a straight copy.
    2. Test that that works.
    3. If it does, set up my computer by copying over her Zenimax folder and my Addons folder.

I want to use her files rather than mine where that makes sense because:

A. She's had fewer problems than I have.
    B. Hers are already running on Windows 10.

Uh-oh. I guess I just got volunteered to be the test case.

I hope it works!
  • RexyCat
    RexyCat
    ✭✭✭✭
    The most important file is UserSettings.txt which you should find in default Documents/Elder Scrolls Online folder. That file contains setttings which might not be correct for your hardware. Move out UserSettings.txt from default folder (Desktop or any other place) and let ESO create a new file with default settings. When you change in game settings from Settings you are change some of those in UserSettings.txt which stores those.

Right now there a plenty of add ons that need to get patched after the last update, so don't get surprised that some add on doesn't work that well. Use Minion if you don't already do that to keep add ons updated.

I only downloaded patch on one of my computer and then used wifi (local network through router) to copy files in the correct places. After that just run Launcher once to confirm that it will find the right patch for future updates and create a short cut to both Launcher and ESOx64.exe file (game executable).

Don't forget to update your video card driver!

Good luck and enjoy your new computer!
  • winged_tortoise
    Yes! I should have thought of that. Works great, thanks!