The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

vc redist 2015 vs. vc redist 2017 ESO Launcher compatibility

jjjozo
jjjozo
✭✭✭
Hi, i just want to ask, i run the game like this: Steam -> ESO Launcher -> ESO
If i have vc_redist x86, x64 2015 installed, whole launching process is without errors.
If i have vc_redist x86, x64 2017 installed, ESO Launcher pop's-up error "windows can't find vcredist_x86_2015.exe and vcredist_x64_2015.exe", but whole launching process still works fine.
Since vcr2015 and vcr2017 share same registry entries, you can't have both of them installed in same time (if you try install 2015 to system with 2017, you can't cuz "new version already installed" error).

Is there a way to make ESO Launcher accept both versions of this vcredist? Launcher can't try to call both version of vcredist? They should be cross-compatible anyway. As regular user i don't care if i have 2017 or 2015 installed, but you know, newer is better. ;)

• Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do you need 2017 to be installed?

I don't remember if you can launch the Steam ESO directly from ESO64.EXE or if that avenue is blocked. If you can, do that instead of using the Launcher.
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • jjjozo
    jjjozo
    ✭✭✭
    I can launch the game how i want, directly eso64.exe... only ESO Launcher... and Steam way.

I don't need 2017 at all, but i want, its newer, sure has better security, less vulnerabilities.

I use launcher, because i don't want to miss update and also, Steam launches ESO Launcher and not game itself. And i want to play through steam, so i can take Steam screenshots.

Sorry, i don't look for launch workaround. I want ZOS to modify the Launcher just little bit, if it's something simple. If is hard to do, never mind, i just asked.
  • Shadow-Fighter
    Shadow-Fighter
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi,
    I'm using since months and no problems.

Both versions are compatible to ESO and have the same CLR major version.

Edit: I didn't installed the 2015 version btw
    Edited by Shadow-Fighter on July 22, 2018 9:55PM
    Natch Potes is like a box of chocolates - you never know what you're gonna get
  • jjjozo
    jjjozo
    ✭✭✭
    Hi,
    I'm using since months and no problems.

Both versions are compatible to ESO and have the same CLR major version.

Edit: I didn't installed the 2015 version btw

Funny, i have fresh installation of Win 10 PRO x64, fresh ESO client, everything clean but if i have only vc2015 everything is fine. If i have 2017, errors popup.
  • Trelfar
    Trelfar
    ✭✭
    I started getting this after installing an application that needed 2017 installed, so the bug is still there. Given ZOS's track record with fixing launcher bugs, I'm not shocked.
    ZOS finally got the launcher to stop hanging every time there is an update - if the problem comes back, click here for the workaround.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Trelfar wrote: »
    I started getting this after installing an application that needed 2017 installed, so the bug is still there. Given ZOS's track record with fixing launcher bugs, I'm not shocked.

I know this is an old thread, but this is just FYI. I have two gaming computers, one with VC2017 and one with VC2015. Both work fine with ESO. Although, I do not use Steam for either of them.
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • ZOS_Bill
    ZOS_Bill
    admin
    As this thread is a few months old we will be closing the discussion. You can start a new thread if there are no recent discussions open. The help articles below can help with issues and questions regarding Visual C++.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
This discussion has been closed.