The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Apple removing official OpenGL support from MacOS 10.14 onwards

• Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    [snip]

More on topic... I don't play ESO on a Mac, but I have a MacBook. I guess I need to find out what the difference is between OpenGL and Metal 2. I'd prefer they not drop OpenGL, but I probably should keep an open mind.

[edit - sniped reply to removed post]
    Edited by ZOS_Ragnar on June 11, 2018 1:21PM
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • Natala
    Natala
    ✭✭
    I remember people asking about Metal for Elder Scrolls before and there being no plans for it at the time. This could be bad news for the future of ESO on Mac. On the other hand if they turn out to still have enough Mac developers to do it... a well built Metal based client would be a breath of fresh air.
  • Arkadius
    Arkadius
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Natala wrote: »
    I remember people asking about Metal for Elder Scrolls before and there being no plans for it at the time. This could be bad news for the future of ESO on Mac. On the other hand if they turn out to still have enough Mac developers to do it... a well built Metal based client would be a breath of fresh air.

Another solution could be to implement a Vulkan renderer atop of MoltenVK (Valves open source Vulkan to Metal translator). Wndows (and even Linux) users would benefit from that too.
  • Ostacia
    Ostacia
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I read over the links posted and it doesn't sound gloomy, unless I'm missing something. There's no indication that ESO will drop Mac support that I saw. Someone even mentioned that users will have a "better graphics experience."
    PC/ NA
    Imagination is the real and eternal world of which this vegetable universe is but a faint shadow. -- William Blake
  • kenjitamura
    kenjitamura
    ✭✭
    WyndStryke wrote: »

I think Mac is still planning on leaving OpenGL in place for the foreseeable future and are just finally commenting publicly on their lack of future investment in the standard. They haven't updated their OpenGL drivers in several years so the announcement just kind of affirms the status quo.

This means that likely ESO can just leave their OpenGL renderer in place and Mac users can expect to never see any performance improvements come down the Apple pipeline. Honestly, Mac users can't reasonably expect anything better than that.

It shouldn't be up to the ESO devs to keep chasing Mac's graphics moving target; they built the game targeting Mac's OpenGL renderer and can't be asked to create a whole new rendering back end just because Apple wants to play politics in a way that negatively affects their userbase.

Sorry Mac users, you have been placed into a position that Linux users have always been in. The Mac user base is probably not large enough to justify the ESO dev team to throw out all their previous effort and take the monumental challenge of training/hiring new devs to target a niche graphics standard. Not when the OpenGL renderer will still work albeit very crappy.
    Edited by kenjitamura on June 7, 2018 5:59PM
  • ZOS_Ragnar
    ZOS_Ragnar
    admin
    We have removed some posts that were detracting from the intended topic of this thread.
    The Elder Scrolls Online - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
  • Carmina
    Carmina
    ✭✭✭
    Ryan, it would have been way smarter if you had posted something like "We are going to port ESO to Metal 2 to enable our huge Mac community to keep playing"....

Sorry, just saying.

C.
  • target0026
    target0026
    Soul Shriven
    There are a surprising amount of Mac gamers out there, the perception of too few Mac gamers is just erroneous. WoW already supports metal, what's to stop eso Mac players from jumping ship just because eso foolishly decided to drop Mac support? Keep in mind that Mac users typically have buying power, so they represent good paying customers. I don't think eso or any company would want to lose that customer base. In any event, can't OpenGL be installed manually? I saw that it's possible for Mac, but again these users represent customer buying power. I can't imagine any business wanting to lose them.
  • Jurand80
    Jurand80
    ✭✭✭✭
    Boot camp or get a pc. Get over it. Summerset killed my game anyway. Non stop micro stuttering. 10.14 will kill it for the rest.

I got a gaming pc laptop now. Use osx for work only.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jurand80 wrote: »
    Boot camp or get a pc. Get over it. .

OP is correct in bringing this up and it is a worthy request for comment. It would be good for those that are on Macs to know if Zos plans to support the Max client through this change.
  • Delpi
    Delpi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My game just went crappy on osx since summerset... I'm very sad, but sorry, I won't upgrade my whole bookmac or get a pc gaming for just one game. Are you mad???
    "I used to be an adventurer like you. Then I took an arrow in the knee..."
  • demerdecanswrath
    demerdecanswrath
    ✭✭✭
    My MacBook (12") is not a performer, but it's all I can have with me. No switching computers, no boot camp. I'm a heavy macOS user. I have an old PC for playing ESO and I can't keep going on with it forever. It is frustrating to know there is such a big community with so many events going on day in day out and I can't participate even in the lowest settings in the perfect operating environment. Mind you, I've paid twice for this game.

I'm not saying Metal 2 will fix all of this for me, but I have way too recent of a hardware & software configuration to still play along with OpenGL. Even from the Launcher things feel and are in actual fact, unplayable.

Some facts that highlight the ESO Launcher on the Mac:
    • choppy and blurry UI
    • MacOS handles storage readings in different ways, on most Macs the launcher never finds enough space to install when there clearly is.
    • Higher than usual CPU usage, there are temperature warnings after 10mins of leaving the Launcher to download the game ffs

I really, really hope the struggles we're having with the Mac client exist simply because the development team is focused heavily on an upcoming Metal 2 overhaul. In that case, I'm more than happy to wait.
    Characters:
    • Arien Larethian (High Elf Templar)
    • Relus Demerdecan (Redguard Dragonknight)
    • Elisia Bonaire (Breton Nightblade)

Proudly playing and producing content on a 2018 15" MacBook Pro.
  • Vapirko
    Vapirko
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just switched from a $3000 15 inch 2017 MacBook Pro with 16gb of ram and the best graphics card you could get (Radeon Pro 560 I think) to a $1300 Asus ROG Strix which has a GTX 1070 with same ram and about the same CPU speeds and the overall game performance is undoubtably better. Obviously the 1070 is way better than the 560 but I just find the whole game to be a lot smoother and more well functioning including addons in Windows. As a lifelong Mac user I just want to say: stop gaming on a Mac they’re horribly optimized for it and you always have to end up making some sort of compromise.
    Edited by Vapirko on August 18, 2018 3:41PM
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vapirko wrote: »
    I just switched from a $3000 15 inch 2017 MacBook Pro with 16gb of ram and the best graphics card you could get (Radeon Pro 560 I think) to a $1300 Asus ROG Astrid which has a GTX 1070 with same ram and about the same CPU speeds and the overall game performance is undoubtably better. Obviously the 1070 is way better than the 560 but I just find the whole game to be a lot smoother and more well functioning including addons in Windows. As a lifelong Mac user I just want to say: stop gaming on a Mac they’re horribly optimized for it and you always have to end up making some sort of compromise.

That's too bad because I expect that Microsoft is heading towards Operating System as a Service.
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • Delpi
    Delpi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's not because of the mac, it's because this game is not optimized for it. I can play on my mac with AAA games with high settings without a problem, but when I open ESO it runs like a potato with even low settings.
    "I used to be an adventurer like you. Then I took an arrow in the knee..."
  • moonio
    moonio
    ✭✭✭✭
    ESO seems to run very well on my Mac (iMac with 32gs of RAM) so I may consider moving over from console at some stage.
  • demerdecanswrath
    demerdecanswrath
    ✭✭✭
    There is no debate whether there will be support or not, even indirectly through the Vulkan API (which basically sits on top of Metal). It's a matter of efficiency and modernising support for the game on already active platforms.

I find it disappointing that there hasn't been a single announcement, not even a slight hint.

Disappointing especially because it's not about Metal itself. It's the attitude towards the platform. I mainly work on macOS for and I hate even considering mixing up platforms and wasting money JUST to enjoy my favourite video game. Money that would otherwise be spent on the Crown Store anyways.

Please @ZOS_RyanM we need answers.
    Characters:
    • Arien Larethian (High Elf Templar)
    • Relus Demerdecan (Redguard Dragonknight)
    • Elisia Bonaire (Breton Nightblade)

Proudly playing and producing content on a 2018 15" MacBook Pro.
  • Kelces
    Kelces
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Outsourcing to China... and their firewall.
    You reveal yourself best in how you play.

Kelces - Argonian Templar
    Farel Donvu - Dark Elf Sorcerer
    Navam Llervu - Dark Elf Dragonknight
    Aniseth - Wood Elf Warden
    Therediel - Wood Elf Templar
    Nilonwy - Wood Elf Nightblade
    Jurupari - Argonian Warden
    Kú-Chulainn - Argonian Sorcerer
    PC - EU
    For the Pact!
  • aldriq
    aldriq
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe they can't talk yet about their plans to move ESO to unity or unreal ... We can always hope :)
  • WyndStryke
    WyndStryke
    ✭✭✭
    OK so there's an update to this on the Murkmire PTS. Note the change to the minimum spec.

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/5453022/#Comment_5453022 (right at the end)

Mac Min Spec

We have switched the Mac renderer from OpenGL to MoltenVK (Metal) to support the upcoming release of the upcoming MacOS Mojave. Upon first launching the game, you will notice longer load times and frequent hitching as the shaders are rebuilt for MoltenVK, with some notable unstableness in this first PTS patch. We plan to make iterations throughout PTS to improve performance. To support these changes, we will be updating the minimum spec for all Mac players in Update 20.

These will be as follows:

Operating System: macOS High Sierra v 10.13
    Model: Late-2013 27-inch iMac and Newer
    Hard Disk Space: 85 GB free HDD space
    Internet: Internet Broadband Connection
    Edited by WyndStryke on September 17, 2018 9:42PM
  • WyndStryke
    WyndStryke
    ✭✭✭
    Arkadius wrote: »
    Another solution could be to implement a Vulkan renderer atop of MoltenVK (Valves open source Vulkan to Metal translator). Wndows (and even Linux) users would benefit from that too.

Looks like you were exactly on the money. 'Gratz for forecasting this.

Edited by WyndStryke on September 17, 2018 9:47PM
  • rluke
    rluke
    ✭✭✭
    "We have switched the Mac renderer from OpenGL to MoltenVK (Metal)"

Big THX Zeni ! :)