Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

"Crash" after clicking Play

ZeKing
ZeKing
Soul Shriven
After I click play get a black screen, followed by ESO not responding, then tells me to close the program. Help Please
  • ZOS_Bill
    ZOS_Bill
    admin
    @ZeKing

If ESO is crashing to a black screen after you press play, please try the troubleshooting from the link below.

What do I do if ESO is crashing with a black screen after I press play?

If none of the troubleshooting steps help, you can contact customer support with a game consultant report for further help.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
  • ZeKing
    ZeKing
    Soul Shriven
    ZOS_BillE wrote: »
    @ZeKing

If ESO is crashing to a black screen after you press play, please try the troubleshooting from the link below.

If none of the troubleshooting steps help, you can contact customer support with a game consultant report for further help.

(Post was useless to me) But, could it be the problem is I'm using Windows 8.1? Planning to update to Windows 10 Home/Pro later today just in case
  • FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    @ZeKing

Come on, man. Try a little harder!

We're getting patch manifest bugs partway through the download process, then continual instacrashes after repairs. I've also rebooted to no effect. The standard "Shut down all your other software since ours couldn't possible be at fault" advice isn't very useful or even polite for you to dish out right now.
  • FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Is there any way to download a new launcher without reinstalling the game???????
  • ZOS_Bill
    ZOS_Bill
    admin
    @FrancisCrawford

Yes, you can delete the launcher itself from the install directory (located by default at C:\Program Files (x86)\Zenimax Online\Launcher) and re-download it from the account management page. Once downloaded, simply reinstall the launcher.
    Staff Post
  • ZeKing
    ZeKing
    Soul Shriven
    @ZOS_BillE

I know when someone brings up a problem that its slightly vague but, I had to wait for a while just for someone on support to even respond; and is it just that blaming it on hardware is first thing to do? I mean, because even though the hardware of the players computer is a possible problem, even if it is "under/around requirements," would normally mean that the game would mess up, be laggy, etc during/in game. Not just trying to click Play and see the world. As much as I love the first music I hear clicking Play, I wouldn't mind actually being able to create a character.

To me what I say makes sense (Obviously) but, just me or is true?

P.S. I don't mean to be an ass/aggressive in any way, if it comes off that way.
  • FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    @FrancisCrawford

Yes, you can delete the launcher itself from the install directory (located by default at C:\Program Files (x86)\Zenimax Online\Launcher) and re-download it from the account management page. Once downloaded, simply reinstall the launcher.

I hope what you meant is that I should follow the "Download the Game" link, as that was the closest approximation to what you said that I could see a way to do.
    Edited by FrancisCrawford on May 21, 2018 8:50PM
  • ZOS_Bill
    ZOS_Bill
    admin
    @ZeKing

After reviewing the ticket you submitted to support, the game consultant shows you are only running an Intel HD Graphics 4600 on your laptop. This is below the minimum requirements and likely the reason ESO is crashing. Even though the game managed to run before, there is no guarantee it will continue to with a GPU below the minimum.

What are the minimum system requirements for the Elder Scrolls Online on the PC?
    Staff Post
  • ZeKing
    ZeKing
    Soul Shriven
    @ZOS_BillE

For it not to run, if the required specs have not changed at all/much, when it ran before is a very low chance. Especially if it ran fine before, NO it not a guarantee, but the probability leans more towards that it should. Also, it is only 1 spec requirement that is under I believe.
  • ZeKing
    ZeKing
    Soul Shriven
    @FrancisCrawford

Thx for poppin in here and saying somin man.

@ZOS_BillE

SIR, the issue (as I assumed), was the fact that I was using Windows 8.1. As soon as I switched to 10, it worked.
    As I said to whoever was "helping" me in support; Thx for the good Ol' ESO Admin Hardware Issue persistence, helps everyone.

Peace
  • FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    @FrancisCrawford

Thanks.

Unfortunately, my attempts to follow this advice failed on multiple levels.

First, I only got into the game via a Repair that wound up being a full download. It concluded some time around noon Tuesday (Eastern Time).

Second, when I finally could log into the game, my add-ons were gone. Not out-of-date. Totally gone. The folders are there. Minion agrees, when it comes to updates vs. fresh downloads, that the folders are there. I copied the folders from my PTS installation to the Live installation just to make sure they were there. (At one point in the failed attempts to get into the game promptly I had renamed them; when that didn't help I reverted the change.) But nothing in the game recognizes my add-ons.

And if I do reinstall them from scratch, I'll lose settings (of course) and in some cases outright saved data.

Is there a known workaround for this bug?
  • ZOS_Bill
    ZOS_Bill
    admin
    @FrancisCrawford

Are you using Microsoft One Drive?

If so, this can alter the file path where the add-ons need to be stored. For this you would need to move your add-ons to the correct Documents folder. You should also check and make sure your add-ons have not been placed under an additional folder in the default path, as this can prevent them from working.
    Staff Post
  • FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    @FrancisCrawford

Are you using Microsoft One Drive?

If so, this can alter the file path where the add-ons need to be stored. For this you would need to move your add-ons to the correct Documents folder. You should also check and make sure your add-ons have not been placed under an additional folder in the default path, as this can prevent them from working.

Thanks! Unfortunately, none of those cases apply. I renamed the folders to disable them as per your instructions, then reverted them to their original names when that instruction failed to help, and add-on access was gone.

I'll say this -- if following that instruction could be what broke my game, then you really, really, really need to look at rewriting that part. My feelings about the game may have been permanently damaged, because it is a huge grind to even get the software into a shape which makes it convenient for me to embark on the huge grinds that were introduced with Summerset.