The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Why do most pve players hate pvp?

• Maura_Neysa
    Maura_Neysa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would actually say your question is inaccurate. The only hate I encounter is PvP players hating on PvE. I would say that the reason for that, is that the majority of the game is more focused on PvE. Both in the community, and from ZoS side. PvE gets more new content. If I was to ask someone their build or "What do you think of "X"" their answer will mostly be context of how something fairs in PvE.
    - Whats the most powerful magic skill?
    - Whats the most powerful stam skill?
    I bet most people's answer was a skill that really isn't that great in the other half of the game. Of course people will answer according to there personal preference of PvE/PvP. Personally I know exactly which skill I would answer with when talking about 1 side, but have probably 5 or 6 skills on the other.

Now to illustrate my point, bring on the "No you're wrong" comments, but make sure to list what your primary focus is. ;)

Edit: I think I miss understood the question. I answered for why PvP players hate on PvE players. As to why PvE players dont learn to PvP. I think thats just because PvE Meta is to be a squishballs. That doesn't fly in PvP. Its so ingrained in PvE world that people look down on you if you do NOT have 64 points in resources. If you think about it though, Stam Players run heavy for survival, Shacklebreaker because both resources are important, and so on. Being a squishball isn't fun :o Unless you know you are an play to that (squishblades)
    Edited by Maura_Neysa on April 1, 2018 8:46AM
    Maiden Maura - Xbox NA
    Warden Ice Tank (By far my favorite) -RIP #Nerfmire
    Stormproof, Shehai Shatterer, Mageslayer(solo tanked), Ophidian Overlord, Assistant Alienist, Boethiah's Scythe,Maw of Lorkhaj Conqueror, Divayth Fyr's Coadjutor
    Major
    Dragon Knight Healer (Since Homestead)
    Shehai Shatterer, Mageslayer,
    Warden 2x Bow DPS
    Stormproof, Shehai Shatterer, Mageslayer, Ophidian Overlord, Assistant Alienist, Boethiah's Scythe, Maw of Lorkhaj Conqueror, Divayth Fyr's Coadjutor, Sunspire Saint,
    Others
    PvP StamDen, Warden Healer, MagDen, Stamplar, StamSorc, DK Failed Attempt, NB Failed Attempt

Playing BiS isn't impressive, playing unique at BiS lvl, THAT's impressive.

• Tommy_The_Gun
    Tommy_The_Gun
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The basic reason (I think) PvE players hate PvP in eso is not because of the lag, broken unbalanced skills, zergs, larger pre-made groups "farming" solo players etc. It is because at some point they will be forced to do PvP content - to get AP, progress their AW rank and unlock skill points. Yes - that is (I think) the reason - skill points.

There is like 50 skill points locked behind PvP. In current state in ESO there are not enough skill points to unlock all skills & passives. That make every skill point VERY precious. Anyone remember the [snip] storm with Morrowind Chapter - where literally "one" skill points is not available for pre-Morrowind characters ? People are already asking & freaking out will this scenario repeat with Summerset chapter. And as far as I know summerset will introduce 2 new skill lines - psijic order and jewellery crafting. So that is more skill points to spend.

[Edited to remove profanity]
    Edited by ZOS_KatP on April 3, 2018 2:22PM
  • bloodthirstyvampire
    bloodthirstyvampire
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I feed on players when ever I can in pvp, this one player sent pictures of garlic a wooden stake a cross and holy water true story
    Edited by bloodthirstyvampire on April 1, 2018 11:26PM
    Self-proclaimed Vampire Lord, or in this case, Blood Sion. º,...,º
  • EvilCroc
    EvilCroc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    PvE makes people friends.
    PvP makes people enemies.
  • Bobby_V_Rockit
    Bobby_V_Rockit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Now that the transmute cyrstal thung is over I no longer need to pvp. Win!
  • MajBludd
    MajBludd
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @MTijhuis, yeah getting zerged down can get old, but that's the price you pay for being solo in pvp.

The T bagging is used to solicit a response or salty tell. I usually respond with, "bend your knees more. You're gonna hurt your back." After that most will laugh or I've even had some apologize for it.

Edited by MajBludd on April 1, 2018 11:34AM
  • TequilaFire
    TequilaFire
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pvp whining took away the part of wrecking blow that launched baddies into the air, spoilt my fun

Should you really be able to play golf even with an NPC? Fore!
  • TequilaFire
    TequilaFire
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I feed on player when ever I can in pvp this one player sent pictures of garlic a wooden stake a cross and holy water true story

That's humor not toxic, oh wait your a vampire! lmao
  • TequilaFire
    TequilaFire
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    EvilCroc wrote: »
    PvE makes people friends.
    PvP makes people enemies.

I have made way more friends in PvP than PvE, PvP guild are much tighter.
  • aetherial_heavenn
    aetherial_heavenn
    ✭✭✭✭
    Vapirko wrote: »
    It’s the steepest learning curve in the game by far. You walk in to pvp in the wrong gear and you’ll get dropped in two hits easy. It also doesn’t play like PvE at all, if you try the same tactics and fighting style youll die super quick. A lot of people try it once and just get super discouraged. You also have to be able to not mind the naturally more toxic, high strung and competitive environment.

Agree. I think Playing with friends and being prepared to die a lot are the secret ingredients. Ignore zone chat. I learn a lot about skills of all classes by reading the death recaps.
    Edited by aetherial_heavenn on April 1, 2018 12:58PM
    Quoted for truth
    "In my experience, the elite ones have not been very toxic, and the toxic ones not very elite." WrathOfInnos
  • ayu_fever
    ayu_fever
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i endure silly pvp nonsense in ESO until i get warhorn barrier, purge, caltrops, vigor.
    i do battlegrounds because there is guaranteed AP even getting last place (7K AP).
    i dont AFK the games, but i do not try because i dont want to be there.
    it takes about 10 games to get rank 6 losing each time.
    i dont necessarily lose on purpose, but if me running to the enemy feeding them kills and points gets it over with sooner, then thats what i am going to do.
    after i get those skills, i am back to pve land where i belong and never coming back.
    PS4 NA

all characters are members of the ebonheart pact master race
    BLOOD FOR THE PACT

main character:
    Rebekah Straight-Fire, breton templar healer: THE FATEBRINGER (dungeons, trials, pvp)
    —MERIDIA’S LUSTRANT— 1100+CP; alliance rank 21 (major grade 1); Rebekah is the most devoted and loyal follower of the lady of infinite energies and the highest ascendant of meridia’s purified legion and was forged from meridia’s brilliant radiance of purity.

other meta toons-
    Alexa Straight-Fire, breton warden healer: THE ALCHEMIST (dungeons, trials)
    Sasha Straight-Fire, nord dragonknight tank: THE UNBREAKABLE (dungeons, trials)
    Freyja Straight-Fire, nord warden tank: THE ICEBERG (dungeons, trials)
    Ororo Straight-Fire, dark elf magsorc: THE SHOCKWAVE (dungeons, trials)
    Michonne Straight-Fire, redguard stamDK: THE EVISCERATOR (dungeons, trials)

just for fun toons-
    Rhea Straight-Fire, wood elf warden stam healer: THE RANGER
    Shiva Straight-Fire, high elf warden ice mage: THE CRYOMANCER
    Morgana Straight-Fire, dark elf necromancer solo play: THE DEATHSINGER
    Lucille Straight-Fire, dark elf nightblade solo play: THE VOIDWALKER
    Diana Straight-Fire, nord templar tank: THE CLERIC
    Falsetto Straight-Fire, orc stamsorc werewolf: THE THUNDERHOWL
  • MaleAmazon
    MaleAmazon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    PvP is best enjoyed in small doses. Every time I go into PvP I eventually am reminded why I never played it a lot in the first place. It´s repetitive with some players having ridiculously OP gear / skill / possibly cheating.

It does have its moments. A nice scroll raid with a ragtag group of friendly mates I´d never met before, was a real high point in ESO for me so far.
  • ZOS_JesC
    ZOS_JesC
    admin
    Greetings, we removed a few posts that were baiting. Friendly reminder that its ok to disagree, but keep posts on topic and keep conversation constructive. If you have any questions about our forum rules you can read through them here.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
  • Kel
    Kel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    PvP is also about working with others. In battlegrounds, you don't work with your team, you lose, plain and simple.
    Same thing in Cyrodiil. Sure people love that 1vX stuff, but for the most part, if you're not working with others, you're going to have a bad time.
    So the people saying "I don't like PvP because I like working with others, not against them" take heart!!
    PvP is also about working with others!
  • Doctordarkspawn
    Doctordarkspawn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    jabrone77 wrote: »
    PvP is also about working with others. In battlegrounds, you don't work with your team, you lose, plain and simple.
    Same thing in Cyrodiil. Sure people love that 1vX stuff, but for the most part, if you're not working with others, you're going to have a bad time.
    So the people saying "I don't like PvP because I like working with others, not against them" take heart!!

In a very different manner.

Fundementally the rolls do not change but the mentality in which you play off each other is very very different.

In PVE, everyone's job is clear cut, you do what you sign on for in the most straightforward manner possible. You deal damage. To heal. You keep the boss taunted, et cetera. PVP adds more layers via the ammount of crowd control and split second thinking which adds to the stress level, and so on and so fourth.

It's not really what their saying, when they say they wanna work with others, and to be fair, they are working against *some* players.
  • Linaleah
    Linaleah
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    jabrone77 wrote: »

In a very different manner.

Fundementally the rolls do not change but the mentality in which you play off each other is very very different.

In PVE, everyone's job is clear cut, you do what you sign on for in the most straightforward manner possible. You deal damage. To heal. You keep the boss taunted, et cetera. PVP adds more layers via the ammount of crowd control and split second thinking which adds to the stress level, and so on and so fourth.

It's not really what their saying, when they say they wanna work with others, and to be fair, they are working against *some* players.

indeed. you are working directly against other players in pvp. and even so, for me at least the only time i genuinely enjoyed pvp was when I was teamed up with people I liked, people I was communicating with in voice, etc. it still wasn't my preferred mode, but what I enjoyed was the camaraderie and teamwork, NOT fighting against other players. and that aspect is such a cardinal part of pvp that it does change the entire dynamic. pve can also be incredibly stressful, depending on how difficult the content is, what stage of learning it you are at etc. but the stress, again is very different in its dynamic.

dirty worthless casual.
    Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. Guard your honor. Let your reputation fall where it will. And outlive the ***
    Lois McMaster Bujold "A Civil Campaign"
  • Jarryzzt
    Jarryzzt
    ✭✭✭✭
    The OP actually asks two completely separate and only tangentially related questions:

"Why do most pve players hate pvp?" (subject line)

"So, why is pvp so bad for the game?" (post body)

The first question is tendentious at best. I highly doubt the OP has conducted a comprehensive survey of even a representative sample of the ESO player base. So the word "most" is the OP's own impression (best case) or outright trollage (worst case). "Some" makes sense, of course, but this raises a further question - how many of this "some" actually "hate" ESO PVP as opposed to: "do not care for"; "have no time for"; "have other things to focus on"; and so on. For example, if I am grinding Spriggan jewelry to sell for my weekly trading guild quota (let's suppose), or Alik'r dolmens for Dawnbringer, I really haven't the time for PVP do I.

I can speculate on some of the negative views that some people surely hold of ESO PVP - and, in fact, most or all of these have been noted earlier in the thread. Some dislike the entire PVP concept; others do not like the "twitchiness" of ESO's combat system; others still point out rightly that in all PVP (and this goes back to MUDs by my reckoning) there is a good amount of "bad" players (socially speaking); and so on, and so on. Some version of most of these applies to most PVP games out there, I would imagine, although for example WoT is a lot less "twitchy" and more strategic.

The second question, however, is the one I find truly interesting, because it hits on the balance dilemma that hasn't been resolved since the start of ESO (and which applies to any other MMORPG with both PVE and PVP components) - how to balance both PVE and PVP without separating the modes into two entirely separate, non-overlapping games. Because priorities and skill usage in PVP can be very, very different from PVE, so it is fairly easy to tilt the balance towards PVE or PVP builds if one is not careful.

From that standpoint, yes, I believe that if ESO PVP hadn't existed, we might - might! - have had a slightly better chance of a well-balanced PVE meta. Maybe. One assumes a lot of competence and commitment on the part of ZOS to make it so. So from that standpoint, yes, having PVP alongside PVE is "bad". But, on the other hand, there has to be some number of players who play this game - and contribute revenues to it - specifically for the PVP aspect. Which means having PVP may be bad "operationally" but is good "strategically" as any extra money in the pockets of ZOS might, err, trickle down, eventually, to the game itself. Which, of course, need not actually be the case, but at least there is the hope...
  • Grabmoore
    Grabmoore
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    mb10 wrote: »
    @Grabmoore

lmaoooo stop being salty that you cant fight something that has a brain.

L2P PVP

Easily, kid. It doesn't even take skill to PvP. Just go on your proc char and dominate BGs or outnumber your opponents in unfair fights in Cyro. I did my emp, I also have a positive K/D/A. You however won't even remotely reach PvE endgame level, because you are a console pleb.

Tell me when you finished vAS +2, aka the meaningful part of the game.
    EU - PC - Ebonheart Pact
    Iggy Grabmoore - Argonian Magicka Templar | Nyctasha - Redguard Stamina Nightblade
    Do-Ra'Zhar - Khajiit Stamina DK | Ashmedi - Dunmer Magicka DK
    Vanya Darchow - AD Altmer Magicka Sorc | Malek gro'Kash - Orc Stam Sorc
    GM of "Handelshaus von Riften" - Trading & PvX Community
  • ShadowMonarch
    ShadowMonarch
    ✭✭✭✭
    Grabmoore wrote: »
    @Grabmoore

L2P PVP

Easily, kid. It doesn't even take skill to PvP. Just go on your proc char and dominate BGs or outnumber your opponents in unfair fights in Cyro. I did my emp, I also have a positive K/D/A. You however won't even remotely reach PvE endgame level, because you are a console pleb.

After a few emp pushes I can tell you, Getting emp is entirely based on how much free time somebody has and having a "positive" KD/a is not the tell tale sign of a good pvper or a achievement on its own what so ever.
  • rustic_potato
    rustic_potato
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Grabmoore wrote: »
    @Grabmoore

L2P PVP

When ZOS introduces a trial bosses that are taunt immune for most or the entire duration of the fight I can see PVE become really interesting. Even vAS+2 as you mentioned is just a boring repetition of predictable mechanics. I have the speed run for it. Doesn't make it any less boring compared to defending the last emp keep or raiding a scroll when you are outnumbered.
    Edited by rustic_potato on April 1, 2018 5:06PM
    I play how I want to.

• Bam_Bam
    Bam_Bam
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've said it before and I'll say it again. they should make a brand new PvP focused ESO. They wouldn't worry about have to be finicky when designing skills and gear - they wouldn't be forced into catering for 2 completely playing styles and mechanics and could plough their creative energy into making a brilliant job of it.

They could get rid of the Alliances and instead encourage players to group together under leaders but after a certain, more players = penalties, as groups of over 20 players start to cause massive drops in xp, loot chances and armour and gear wearing out faster. You could still have decent sized guilds able to travel and fight together but huge zergs of multiple raids would be hammered. Hmm, taking that idea further, smaller groups could be rewarded for taking on and beating larger groups - the differences group sizes could be used to calculate various bonuses that aid the smaller groups

ELDER SCROLLS ONLINE: THE GREAT WAR (due for release 2025)

And with that release, This game would see PvP phased out with Cyroodiil and the Imperial City becoming massive new PvE zones. :)
    Joined January 2014
    PC EU - PvE & BGs & PvP (Vivec)
    Grand Master Crafter

#DiscordHypeSquad

Stream
    Lims Kragm'a
    Bam Bam Bara
  • MLGProPlayer
    MLGProPlayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's too casual. Competitive PvP needs to be balanced separately from PvE and provide everyone with access to the same gear/level.
  • MaleAmazon
    MaleAmazon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Competitive PvP needs to be balanced separately from PvE and provide everyone with access to the same gear/level.

So long as it´s AvAvA you´re not gonna get balance anyways since good/bad gear, addons, voice chat and plain uneven numbers in fights are still there.
  • baltic1284
    baltic1284
    ✭✭✭
    MajBludd wrote: »
    So, why is pvp so bad for the game?

For me it all boils down wins vs loses, teamwork vs bus throwing. Basically if you PvP winning and teamwork should be the only thing on your mind no matter what. I usually find that most that do PvP tend be more of the throw this or that player under the bus mess the team over don't win then brag what that individual does but never mention the fact they did wrong.
  • ZiRM
    ZiRM
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't hate it, I just don't want to play it in ESO. I think they should keep it seperate from PvE and not make you have to go into PvP zones to get things.
    Want to become Vampire? 5k @ZiRM in game.
    ESO Server Status. ( ^_^)o自自o(^_^ ) SkåL!!!!!
  • Mettaricana
    Mettaricana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I hate it because the 2 must have stam skills vigor and caltrops are locked behind zerging around cyrodiil or gett ass kicked in battlegrounds
  • Rudal
    Rudal
    ✭✭✭
    MajBludd wrote: »
    So, why is pvp so bad for the game?

I don't think it's matter of hate it's just that pvp players are usually the ones that cry the loudest about "unbalanced" skill screwing over all PvE balance in process.
    - And is your heart black and full of hate? - Black as midnight, black as pitch, blacker than the foulest witch... -
  • BigBadVolk
    BigBadVolk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Biro123 wrote: »
    Caitsith wrote: »
    Because several pve players think PvP community is responsible for all nerfs that we see often added with each update.

pretty much it. Despite what the evidence is and what the devs say.. I tend to put them in the same category as flat-earthers and creationists.

but but the earth is flat, even Gods of Egypt proves that
    "The ass is similar to the opinion: Everyone has it, but no one cares about the others!"
    I'm 120 years old
  • Sevn
    Sevn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Quick question, how is PvP not repetitive? I'm seeing this used as a reason to dismiss pve, but PvP is just as repetitive if not more so. How many fights take place at the bridge over and over?

How many different ways can you run a scroll? Take a resource? Defend a resource? Attack a keep? Defend a keep? Attacking the front door with a ram is the quickest way in, how many different ways can you do this? On top of all that everything looks the same, keeps, resources, etc.

How often are you killed attacking a keep, die, respawn, ride back to that same keep and die again, rinse and repeat? What, because you get killed by a different group of players or kill them using different tactics than the last group breaks up the monotony of it? BG's is even more repetitive, despite the different modes as you end up seeing the same players over and over.

This is a genuine question. How do pvper's who only love PvP and hate pve in eso feel these actions aren't repetitive? Enter cyro, if solo type lfg, group up, stack on crown, ride out to attack or defend a keep/resource, die, respawn, ride back to location, rinse and repeat until objective is captured or defended. Crown picks new objective, rinse and repeat. Is this not how most experiences play out in cyro?

Enlighten me.
    Edited by Sevn on April 1, 2018 9:12PM
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man, true nobility is being superior to your former self
    -Hemingway
  • griffkhalifa
    griffkhalifa
    ✭✭✭✭
    Pvp in this game only works for the 720s with elite gear and builds. For everyone else its horrible

Ummm, not really. I'm not max CP (620) and do quite well. As for the elite gear and builds, kind of. You can't just throw on random gear and expect to compete, but that's what makes grinding for gear and other material to make my gear gold worthwhile in PvE. Otherwise what's the point?
    PS4 NA
This discussion has been closed.