The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

I have an account on Bethesda.net. Can I buy expansions on Steam for it?

TraLOLta
TraLOLta
✭✭
I have a Bethesda.net account for ESO and I've been wondering as I have funds on my Steam account, can I just pre-order the Summerset expansion on steam and get a key or something I can redeem for my account?
CP810
Staminga Nightblade Khajiit DPS J'Catt (~45k on a 6 mil dummy)
Can't play anything else.

Best Answer

• ZOS_CoriJ
    ZOS_CoriJ
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    1. A Bethesda.net account and an ESO Account are two separate accounts. Since you're already playing ESO I'm going to guess you are playing with an ESO Account :) It is possible for you to make a purchase of a Summerset Upgrade to your current account on Steam only if your game account is linked to Steam. In order for your game account to be linked to Steam you must have a Steam purchase of ESO.

2. Yes, it is possible to buy Summerset plus the basegame and link it to your current account. As long as Steam recognizes that you have a purchase of ESO, you can choose your current game account to link to your Steam account. You can check the above link for a detailed step-by-step.

Steam's services does not provide game keys for any of our games.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site

No longer available to take PMs or messages: Please defer to another Moderator
    Staff Post
    Answer ✓
  • TraLOLta
    TraLOLta
    ✭✭
    Also if not, can I buy the Summerset + Base game on steam and somehow link that to this account?
    CP810
  • Perwulf
    Perwulf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ZOS_CoriJ wrote: »
    1. A Bethesda.net account and an ESO Account are two separate accounts. Since you're already playing ESO I'm going to guess you are playing with an ESO Account :) It is possible for you to make a purchase of a Summerset Upgrade to your current account on Steam only if your game account is linked to Steam. In order for your game account to be linked to Steam you must have a Steam purchase of ESO.

2. Yes, it is possible to buy Summerset plus the basegame and link it to your current account. As long as Steam recognizes that you have a purchase of ESO, you can choose your current game account to link to your Steam account. You can check the above link for a detailed step-by-step.

Steam's services does not provide game keys for any of our games.

This answer puzzles me every time.

Just to be clear and also to provide answers to other people with similar thing in mind. I already own an ESO account which is purchased back then during release thus makes it the official ESO account that is clearly not purchased from steam.

But...
    I want to be able to purchase DLC/s, Crowns, ESO Plus, and Chapter/s through steam because it's hassle free, easier, more convenient, and slightly cheaper in my country compared to purchases that is made through VISAs.

If this is possible and my old account can be linked to steam after purchasing another copy from steam then,
    A. I don't mind purchasing another copy of ESO from steam AS LONG AS;
    B. I don't lose progress and I can transfer my account's content, progression, and crown store purchases from my official ESO account to my newly purchased steam version of ESO via linking. Probably merging it into one account but it is now steam version.
    Edited by Perwulf on March 22, 2018 12:22PM
    "Monsters doesn't exist, we create them"
  • TraLOLta
    TraLOLta
    ✭✭
    @ravenarc

I downloaded ESO on steam because the free week is going on and I logged in to my ESO account successfully and linked it to steam.
    Steam is preventing me from buying Summerset only because I haven't purchased ESO on there yet.

This popped up in my account page.
    ZEBXhRn.png
    2. Yes, it is possible to buy Summerset plus the basegame and link it to your current account. As long as Steam recognizes that you have a purchase of ESO, you can choose your current game account to link to your Steam account.

When starting up ESO the game asks if you already have an ESO account. You just select yes and then you can normally log in to your existing account.
    CP810
  • Perwulf
    Perwulf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    TraLOLta wrote: »
    @ravenarc

I downloaded ESO on steam because the free week is going on and I logged in to my ESO account successfully and linked it to steam.
    Steam is preventing me from buying Summerset only because I haven't purchased ESO on there yet.

ZEBXhRn.png
    2. Yes, it is possible to buy Summerset plus the basegame and link it to your current account. As long as Steam recognizes that you have a purchase of ESO, you can choose your current game account to link to your Steam account.

When starting up ESO the game asks if you already have an ESO account. You just select yes and then you can normally log in to your existing account.

Hmmm... not sure about this, I think we need a Dev to clear the matter at hand since I also asked about this topic before using support email and they gave a different answer like "It's not possible to link ESO official to steam." But if so happens you are buying steam ESO and manged to merge it with your current account, let me know. Thanks a lot.
  • SecretJoy
    SecretJoy
    ✭✭✭
    ravenarc wrote: »
    @ravenarc

ZEBXhRn.png

Hmmm... not sure about this, I think we need a Dev to clear the matter at hand since I also asked about this topic before using support email and they gave a different answer like "It's not possible to link ESO official to steam." But if so happens you are buying steam ESO and manged to merge it with your current account, let me know. Thanks a lot.

I went through all of this, so I'm familiar with it.

Yes, you can link an existing ESO account to Steam. But in order to purchase additional content (expansions, crowns, etc.) You need to have actually purchased the game through Steam as well.

If you already have ESO from another source, this means you will need to purchase it through Steam again in order to use it for all further purchases.

Also, if you want to use ESO+ that will need to be through Steam as well. You can manage it in your subscriptions.

What happened with me, is that I played during beta/launch and then stopped for a long time. When I started again, I decided to switch to Steam. I linked my existing ESO account, and when I logged in all of my progress was still there. I even still have my monkey pet for playing beta. So it definitely works :)

Hope that helped.
    Edited by SecretJoy on March 23, 2018 4:32PM
  • Perwulf
    Perwulf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SecretJoy wrote: »
    @ravenarc

ZEBXhRn.png

I went through all of this, so I'm familiar with it.

Yes, you can link an existing ESO account to Steam. But in order to purchase additional content (expansions, crowns, etc.) You need to have actually purchased the game through Steam as well.

If you already have ESO from another source, this means you will need to purchase it through Steam again in order to use it for all further purchases.

Also, if you want to use ESO+ that will need to be through Steam as well. You can manage it in your subscriptions.

What happened with me, is that I played during beta/launch and then stopped for a long time. When I started again, I decided to switch to Steam. I linked my existing ESO account, and when I logged in all of my progress was still there. I even still have my monkey pet for playing beta. So it definitely works :)

Hope that helped.

Alright I'll try this when I've got enough money to spare for testing, there's refund in steam anyway. :p
  • TraLOLta
    TraLOLta
    ✭✭
    @ravenarc

I just purchased
    "Pre-Purchase The Elder Scrolls Online: Summerset
    Includes The Elder Scrolls Online base game, The Morrowind Chapter, and The Summerset Chapter"
    on Steam. The 40€ one for me.
    Opened ESO through Steam, logged in and the stuff was there.
    Then I opened ESO without steam, and its all working fine.
    Screenshots taken in non-steam client.

jiVJIIN.jpg
    5z4Apa9.jpg
    Edited by TraLOLta on March 23, 2018 6:12PM
    CP810
  • Perwulf
    Perwulf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @TraLOLta

Can you still purchase directly from the site? After converting yours to steam?
    Edited by Perwulf on March 24, 2018 2:39PM
  • TraLOLta
    TraLOLta
    ✭✭
    @ravenarc

No, its not letting me purchase Summerset from site anymore.
    CP810
  • Perwulf
    Perwulf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @ravenarc

Yeah same here, tried with new account using steam to test it during free weekend. By the way after linking you old account and steam together, can you still buy crowns or ESO plus directly through site? Or you're limited to steam transactions only?
  • SecretJoy
    SecretJoy
    ✭✭✭
    @ravenarc

Yeah same here, tried with new account using steam to test it during free weekend. By the way after linking you old account and steam together, can you still buy crowns or ESO plus directly through site? Or you're limited to steam transactions only?

After you purchase through Steam, all other purchases will need to be made through it as well. You also will have to manage your ESO+ through Steam's subscriptions menu.
  • Perwulf
    Perwulf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @ravenarc

After you purchase through Steam, all other purchases will need to be made through it as well. You also will have to manage your ESO+ through Steam's subscriptions menu.

Ah that sucks, guess I'll stick with standard for subs. it's relatively cheaper than steam :/
  • SecretJoy
    SecretJoy
    ✭✭✭
    @ravenarc

Ah that sucks, guess I'll stick with standard for subs. it's relatively cheaper than steam :/

Yeah, I have heard that. If you're in the USA, then all Steam prices are the same. But I've heard from a lot of people outside the USA that the pricing can be way off for their Steam purchases.
  • nightstrike
    nightstrike
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you buy from steam, it's tax free.
    Warning: This signature is tiny!