The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

PTS Bug Reports

ZOS_GinaBruno
ZOS_GinaBruno
Community Manager
When you are playing on the PTS during a testing cycle, where do you typically report bugs and why?
Edited by ZOS_GinaBruno on March 1, 2018 3:41PM
Gina Bruno
Senior Community Manager
Dev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter | My Twitter

PTS Bug Reports 108 votes

On the forums
42%
DeathStalkerMoloch1514DerethDawnbladeKhajiitHasSkoomaTaonnorGigasaxjoeross1997b16_ESOValveanitajoneb17_ESONifty2gShareebottleofsyrupdsalteraeowulfrunagateDDukeMinalanbitelsNiclasFridholmckbud 46 votes
Using /bug in-game
22%
SvenjaSantieClawsixieAltairienGorakKetarmishDerpyShadowzashigraylonewolf26HidesFromSunTobi333URastoricSturgeHammerESOFanBoyzInvitationNotFoundHighlor3SaucyMcSaucefaceMHF_cookieFinBlackwoodeso_nya 24 votes
Both the forums and /bug
28%
WillardOMALonePirateDominoidssewallb14_ESOEnodocniawrathb16_ESODarlonAudensJRCandeiasZunaRoathIdinuseElsonsoBashevfeyiiOwnGrimm13Blacknight841AJTC5000Cinbri 31 votes
Other (please explain)
6%
saf227_ESOsirinsidiatorIlsabetKrishakPanettierDorrinoGnortranermaraRagnarock41 7 votes
Staff Post
  • Marabornwingrion
    Marabornwingrion
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    On the forums
    On forums so I can be sure that my report will read living human, not a robot.
  • casparian
    casparian
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    On the forums
    On the forums because
    - other players may read my report and respond to it ("yeah that's happening to me too" or "you're misunderstanding what causes that bug, it's actually..." etc.)
    - Someone from ZOS may read and respond to it
    - it's easy to link to later ("I reported this here (link) three weeks ago and still no response" etc.)
    7-day PVP campaign regular 2016-2019, Flawless Conqueror. MagDK/stamplar/stamwarden/mageblade. Requiem, Legend, Knights of Daggerfall. Currently retired from the wars; waiting on performance improvements.
  • ZOS_GinaBruno
    ZOS_GinaBruno
    Community Manager
    Thanks for the comments so far, appreciate the insight.
    Gina Bruno
    Senior Community Manager
    Dev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter | My Twitter
    Staff Post
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Both the forums and /bug
    I do both, but I don't usually duplicate.

For new content related to the Update, I use the forum. This is especially the case where there is a feedback thread for the feature.

Everything else gets /bug, although, if there is a forum thread about it, I might just do some manner of "me too" and add any additional details that I might have.
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Both the forums and /bug
    Out of curiosity and for future PTS use (I just got the PTS for this latest update), which method do the developers prefer?
  • code65536
    code65536
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    On the forums
    For pretty much the same reasons listed...
    • There is no way to get a back-and-forth with the in-game /bug. Most forum reports are not replied to, but a few are. And sometimes that back-and-forth is valuable, e.g., for clarifying things.
    • I can go into more detail on the forums. Attach a screenshot, etc. If I need to go back and edit the report, make corrections, add more information, etc., I can't do that with the in-game /bug.
    • Other people can see it and share their experiences, elaborate on details that I may have missed, etc.
    • An open public record that can be referenced.
    Edited by code65536 on March 1, 2018 5:32PM
    Nightfighters ― PC/NA and PC/EU

Dungeons and Trials:
    Personal best scores:
    Dungeon trifectas:
    Media: YouTubeTwitch
  • feyii
    feyii
    ✭✭✭✭
    Both the forums and /bug
    I use both. Small things I usually only report via /bug ingame, on live or PTS.
    But for bugs for which I would like input/feedback from other people or those I find game breaking, I usually post on the forum additionally. The latter only if I didn't see the same bug mentioned on the forums already.
  • sirinsidiator
    sirinsidiator
    ✭✭✭✭
    Other (please explain)
    I report most bugs using /bug, but UI and addon related things I prefer to report on ESOUI since other addon authors see them there, we use tags in the thread title to track their state and also because @ZOS_ChipHilseberg is awesome and responds to these posts. Aside from that the ingame bug tool has a very low character limit in the input field which prevents me from adding all the information I want (full stack traces, steps to reproduce, screenshots, videos etc.) and no proper categories for UI errors (not limited to just them though).
    https://www.imperialtradingcompany.eu/ - My Addons - The Vault (Early updates and experimental projects) - My patreon - My blog
  • Own
    Own
    ✭✭✭✭
    Both the forums and /bug
    We like responses, that's why so many use the fourms. Many feel like /bug doesn't work because they get no feedback, and don't see the "fixes" in any recent patch notes. So in the end, they feel ignored. Giving feedback to /bug and replying to all forum posts in some way will alleviate this.
  • RaddlemanNumber7
    RaddlemanNumber7
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Both the forums and /bug
    If I'm sure it's a bug then I'll /bug it. Sometimes I'm not sure, because we don't always know what the intended behaviour of the game is. For example, with recent Level Up rewards we were only given very incomplete information about what we should be getting.

Regardless of whether I /bug it or not, if I think something might be amiss I always put something on the forums, in one of the official feedback threads if there is one that is appropriate. If I have /bugged it then I put the ticket number in the post. I post screen shots and give more detailed narrative on the forums. Sometimes the /bug dialogue text limit is just too small to explain in sufficient detail what I was doing and what I saw.

I use the forums for the same reasons as @code65536 gives, plus it also acts as a warning to other players if the bug is serious and doesn't get remedied before the update goes live, as happened with the storage chest delete bug in update 17.

PC EU
  • eso_nya
    eso_nya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Using /bug in-game
    I prefer ingame. Gives me the feeling it goes directly to the "responsible" team, if i manage to pick the correct categories.

Forums come with the impression, that a post has first to get the attention of a bored and underpaid mod and with any luck s/he might forward it to a superiours overflowing mailbox, who than has to find in "junk-mail", read it, agree "tis might be an issue" than forward it to someone who has access to ginas account to log into forums and ask for more details...By the time that happens, someone might have started a flamewar, so a different mod printed out the more funny comments to pin up next to coffee maschine and deleted the post xD

The "Attach Screenshot" - feature could use an improvement tho. usually it catches half the bugreport fading out while my char is slowly turning around. "Add File" would be better.
  • Cinbri
    Cinbri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Both the forums and /bug
    Knocking in every possible door is best way. Or is it?
  • Ackwalan
    Ackwalan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting that this poll was made. Was it made because the XP bug was found during PTS, and no one reported it, or it was reported and no one got the report?
  • LonePirate
    LonePirate
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Both the forums and /bug
    I use both. I typically report minor issues only via /bug but for more severe issues or items which other players might encounter, I will report them on the forum and with /bug.

Having reported PTS issues since 2014, I have noticed that items reported only via /bug are seldom fixed or are fixed much more slowly than issues reported on the forum. Even accounting for the usual 2 week minimum turn around between reporting a bug and seeing the fix in a subsequent patch, forum bugs are almost always fixed before bugs reported in-game.
  • Own
    Own
    ✭✭✭✭
    Both the forums and /bug
    Also, consider updated the /bug categories to be more user friendly and less confusing
  • KrishakPanettier
    KrishakPanettier
    ✭✭✭
    Other (please explain)
    I don't always report bugs. But when I do, it is usually about ESO working as intended. --Abraham Lincoln.
    Krishak Kringle aka KrishakPanettier, Templar (PSN:KrishakPanettier)
    -- PS4 NA --

PVP, PVE, and Trader Guild Leader
    Guild:
    - Rent-A-Zerg Mercs AD (one-time large AD PVP Guild - now PVP, PVE, dungeons, trials, and crafting)
    - Shadow Exiles AD (merged into RAZ AD)
    - Recruiting all levels, for help all in-game content. Not just PVP anymore. Not just AD.

Online:
    - Facebook: www.facebook.com/groups/RAZ.AD
    - Facebook: www.facebook.com/ShadowExiles
    - Twitter: @ShadowExiles
    - www: www.shadowexiles.com
  • LonePirate
    LonePirate
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Both the forums and /bug
    l3alls wrote: »
    Also, consider updated the /bug categories to be more user friendly and less confusing

Try reporting a housing related bug in game. It is almost impossible as there are no categories for it.
  • Ilsabet
    Ilsabet
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Other (please explain)
    I'm more likely to report a bug on the forum if there's already an applicable thread. (I'm not likely to make a new thread about something, to avoid clutter and because I assume someone else probably has or will.)

/bug can and should be an easy thing to whip off when I encounter a small bug in-game, but it becomes more of a hassle than it's worth because a) none of the categories ever seem to apply to the thing I'm trying to report, so I waste a bunch of time looking at category options and trying to decide which one is closest on the dartboard, b) it's hard to get details to include because you can't be looking at the issue at the same time you're typing the report, c) you have to stop what you're doing to go through the whole /bug process rather than screenshotting and typing up a post later, and d) you can't attach the screenshot you just took of the actual issue, and the "take screenshot" option is pointless if the camera has already shifted focus from the issue to you filing your report.

On the forum you can go into a lot more detail, attach screenshots, interact with other players, and see responses and questions from devs. There's also a record there for everyone to see and it's (presumably) easy for the devs to refer to a thread or post that can be linked easily.

It's probably also worth noting that I find the forums very accessible because I'm already a heavy forums user. Someone who doesn't have an active forum account or isn't familiar with using the forum would probably find the in-game feature more accessible.

So I've used both, if I had to state a preference it would probably be forums, but there are definite improvements that could be made to /bug to make it more appealing to use.

Also forum is a funny word if you say it enough times.
    Ilsabet Menard - DC Breton Nightblade archer - Savior of Pretty Much Everything, Grand Overlord & Empress Nubcakes
    Katarin Auclair - DC Breton Warden healer & ice mage
    My characters and their overly elaborate backstories
    Ilsabet's Headcanon
    The Adventures of Torbyrn Windchaser - Breaking the Ice & Ashes to Ashes
    PC NA
  • rhapsodious
    rhapsodious
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    On the forums
    For PTS, I use the forums because I can adequately describe the issue, I can describe where the issue actually is, and most importantly, provide pictures for evidence. "Provide Screenshot" on the /bug interface is borderline useless.

If I discover an exploit on Live, though, I do file a /bug report hoping the metrics collected (if any) help narrow down the issue, and because you can't describe how to reproduce an exploit on the forums for obvious reasons. I've never received a response indicating it was read or to gather more information, though - if my report is "there is an object that you can stand on in XYZ area to prevent all incoming damage", I never get a follow-up asking where the spot is precisely. And again, screenshot tool isn't helpful at all.
  • Cinbri
    Cinbri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Both the forums and /bug
    l3alls wrote: »

Exactly this. Very often when you wana report something you just spend most of time in searching apropriate section and hoping that section you chose is right one.
  • Bashev
    Bashev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Both the forums and /bug
    I use both but I prefer the forums. At least I can receive a feedback from a ZoS employee.
    Because I can!
  • Morgul667
    Morgul667
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    On the forums
    I like to report on the dedicated threads, as I feel it is structured and collected in the right place, where other people can react and add some data if they feel it would help.

However it feels like they are not taken into account. Quantity of issues reported on the forums that go live are quite overwhelming. As someone who loves the game I would be very happy to see this improved in the future.
  • Qbiken
    Qbiken
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    On the forums
    I prefer the forums. It reaches out to a wider audience and it´s easier for people to become aware of potential bugs. Posting on the forums creates an opportunity for others to test it (if they weren´t aware a potential bug existed) or to contradict my claims about the potential bug.

But as others have said, a more user-friendly bug reporting tool in-game would be appreciated. Also I feel that it´s difficult to find your way through the website/forum to the pages where you can see the response/ticket to your bug-reports.

• SantieClaws
    SantieClaws
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Using /bug in-game
    By using the bug thing in Tamriel.

Because this one assumes the pest control people may not read all of the forums all of the time yes - even if they may look at major issues there.

Yours with paws
    Santie Claws
    Shunrr's Skooma Oasis - The Movie. A housing video like no other ...
    Find it here - https://youtube.com/user/wenxue2222

Clan Claws - now recruiting khajiit and like minded others for parties, fishing and other khajiit stuff. Contact this one for an invite.

PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

https://www.imperialtradingcompany.eu/
  • Dorrino
    Dorrino
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other (please explain)
    I don't report bugs, because i don't get any feedback from the dev team and because most of the bugs that i reported in the past were not fixed.
    Edited by Dorrino on March 2, 2018 2:37PM
  • Zer0oo
    Zer0oo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    On the forums
    On the forum because other players can also see it and provide more information and it is harder to ignore bugs if they are noted somewhere public.

In general the ingame bug report is really not well designed and most of the time you are just wondering in what category the bug goes.
    Ice Furnace: This item set now grants Spell Damage, rather than Weapon Damage for the 4 piece bonus
    - Update 23
  • Altairien
    Altairien
    ✭✭✭
    Using /bug in-game
    For bugs (actual bugs, not game design feedback), I use /bug because in my experience that's normally preferred by QA and therefore that's what I'm used to.

For all the good it does here. Either the bugs go into a black hole or else the developers can't be bothered to "fix the shrub that's hovering above the ground at head level"... for 4 years. So I just stopped bugging things a while back.
  • LtBottle
    LtBottle
    ✭✭✭
    Both the forums and /bug
    Was the first time in downloaded the PTS.

I reported very few bugs, and very minor ones (scalecaller peak map for exemple). but always both on forum and with the /bug fonction.

This one is sometime quite strange.
    I remember using it because i didn't find back a perfect roe in my inventory. The answer i received was "we won't talk about game mechanics". That was funny, but made me sure i was talking to a bot.

As it was said before, forum posts helps us to see if what we experience are bugs, or intentionnal mechanics. (Teso is a pretty complex game, you know ;) ) -> best exemple was the buggy heal from dk's whip. How can one player like me know if it's intentionnal or not?

(and english is not my native language, so following other ppl coments is easier.)
  • anitajoneb17_ESO
    anitajoneb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    On the forums
    I have the following issues with the built-in bug report feature :

- I live in France, my game's in english => I don't know in what language I should report
    - Typing is horrible ingame, not enough room to explain, hard to edit and correct
    - The way the "attach screenshot" feature works is the game is totally unclear to me

Also on the forum I can see if other people have the same problem and already reported it. No point in sending something that other people have reported a dozen times.

Edited by anitajoneb17_ESO on March 3, 2018 12:04AM
  • Ragnarock41
    Ragnarock41
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Other (please explain)
    The first thing I do is ask my guildies to confirm if something is good or bad or broken in PTS, so we have time to prepare for it.

Sometimes I don't report bugs in forums purposedly because I don't want more people to know about them and abuse them. I use the in- game report tool instead. (which didn't work for anything so far.)
    Edited by Ragnarock41 on March 3, 2018 8:41PM