The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
The maintenance is complete, and the PTS is now back online and patch 10.0.1 is available.
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

PTS Update 17 - Bug Reports for Home Storage

ZOS_GinaBruno
ZOS_GinaBruno
Community Manager
Please report any issues you run into while testing the home storage furnishings. In general, we prefer you to use /bug in-game but if you’d rather submit a report here, please give us as much information as possible, including screenshots and/or video if applicable. Thank you!
Gina Bruno
Senior Community Manager
Dev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter | My Twitter
Staff Post
  • RaddlemanNumber7
    RaddlemanNumber7
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    A large amount of stuff has vanished from my 4 home storage chests.

On January 29th I made a note of the number of slots filled in each of these chests. At that time I was checking if it was OK to store stuff in containers that had been "put away", leaving no placed instance of them in any home. These experiments ended with the 4 chests left placed in the Surreal Estate, and all contents present and correct.

The chests have remained placed in the Surreal estate in the period since 29th Jan, but some of the stuff in those chests has just vanished.

"Secure" chest had 60 filled slots on 29th Jan, it now has 30 filled slots. I am most confident about the contents of this chest because they are all off one character which remains unchanged on Live since the copy to PTS. 30 pieces of low level jewellery have vanished from this chest.

"Oaken" chest contained my 25 spare monster set pieces. This chest is now empty. All 25 pieces have vanished :'(

"Fortified" contained 60 equipment items - 3 Endurance set weapons and 57 crafted armour and weapon pieces. The 57 crafted armour and weapon pieces are now missing. Only the 3 Endurance set weapons remain.

"Sturdy" contained had 26 filled slots - 3 Endurance rings, 5 siege, 1 DC forward camp, 17 crafted prices of armour. The forward camp and 17 crafted armour pieces are now missing.
    Following patch 3.3.4 I placed all 8 containers in my principal home Quandam Indorilia. I then put 8 items in the "Sturdy" chest off one of my Live copy characters. I then deleted that character so I could create a new one on PTS. I didn't notice that anything was missing at that time, but I not sure if would have noticed anyway. The 8 items I put in the "sturdy" chest at that time are still there, along with the five siege and 3 Endurance rings I had in there earlier.

Today, 7th Feb, I went to get some low level jewellery out of the "Secure" chest and noticed all this stuff was missing. I have checked all 15 of my characters on PTS to see if I had absent mindedly put the missing stuff somewhere else, but none of it was there. I'm sure this stuff has vanished from the chests, especially the low level jewellery and monster set pieces.
    PC EU
  • RaddlemanNumber7
    RaddlemanNumber7
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    A large amount of stuff has vanished from my 4 home storage chests.

On January 29th I made a note of the number of slots filled in each of these chests. At that time I was checking if it was OK to store stuff in containers that had been "put away", leaving no placed instance of them in any home. These experiments ended with the 4 chests left placed in the Surreal Estate, and all contents present and correct.

The chests have remained placed in the Surreal estate in the period since 29th Jan, but some of the stuff in those chests has just vanished.

"Secure" chest had 60 filled slots on 29th Jan, it now has 30 filled slots. I am most confident about the contents of this chest because they are all off one character which remains unchanged on Live since the copy to PTS. 30 pieces of low level jewellery have vanished from this chest.

"Oaken" chest contained my 25 spare monster set pieces. This chest is now empty. All 25 pieces have vanished :'(

"Fortified" contained 60 equipment items - 3 Endurance set weapons and 57 crafted armour and weapon pieces. The 57 crafted armour and weapon pieces are now missing. Only the 3 Endurance set weapons remain.

"Sturdy" contained had 26 filled slots - 3 Endurance rings, 5 siege, 1 DC forward camp, 17 crafted prices of armour. The forward camp and 17 crafted armour pieces are now missing.
    Following patch 3.3.4 I placed all 8 containers in my principal home Quandam Indorilia. I then put 8 items in the "Sturdy" chest off one of my Live copy characters. I then deleted that character so I could create a new one on PTS. I didn't notice that anything was missing at that time, but I not sure if would have noticed anyway. The 8 items I put in the "sturdy" chest at that time are still there, along with the five siege and 3 Endurance rings I had in there earlier.

Today, 7th Feb, I went to get some low level jewellery out of the "Secure" chest and noticed all this stuff was missing. I have checked all 15 of my characters on PTS to see if I had absent mindedly put the missing stuff somewhere else, but none of it was there. I'm sure this stuff has vanished from the chests, especially the low level jewellery and monster set pieces.

I realised that the common factor was that the missing items were nearly all account bound. One forward camp also got vanished.

I reproduced the bug by placing a wide variety of bound and unbound items in the storage chests and then deleting another live copy character. As far as I can remember none of the items that went missing from the containers had ever been on the character I deleted.

I /bugged the bug, ticket# 180208-000536.

Here are the before and after screenshots...

Fortified chest. Purple and white items unbound, gold and blue items bound.
    uz3mMW9.jpg

Oaken chest - all items bound
    5Y1qPE1.jpg

"Secure" Chest - last 3 locked items bound, the rest not.
    dRQ7hOE.jpg

Sturdy chest - Ysgramors stuff bound, endurance rings unbound. Forward camp also goes missing.
    jgavhvC.jpg

Fortified coffer -various bound and unbound items. Bound items go missing
    RgydOlG.jpg

Oaken coffer contained 30 slots filled with blue and purple Vvardenfell furniture designs. Nothing went missing.

Secure coffer - various furnishings - the Lanterns of Anguish are bound items
    FVEH4RI.jpg

Sturdy coffer - The servants robes and staff are bound.
    QVevyZB.jpg
    PC EU
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ok so as I understand deleting an character will remove all bound items from chests.
    In it self this is very very bad.

Worse deleted character does not need to have interacted with the bound gear or the chests.
    So if you create an new character and delete him at start of tutorial as you did not like look or other things all bound items in chest will disappear.
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • Erraln
    Erraln
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    zaria wrote: »
    Ok so as I understand deleting an character will remove all bound items from chests.

Worse deleted character does not need to have interacted with the bound gear or the chests.
    So if you create an new character and delete him at start of tutorial as you did not like look or other things all bound items in chest will disappear.

And it's still happening in this version of PTS?

Welp, time to start warning people not to buy those. Hope it gets fixed before live, that's a feature-ruiner right there.
    I'm playing around with this on PTS atm, will see if I can duplicate.

EDIT 2: Reproduced succesfully. Steps:
    Wear two Axes of Morag Tong to bind them. Unequip axes.
    Proceed to deposit these axes and 20 other random Morag Tong weapons to a Storage Chest, Fortified set up in my Coldharbour Surreal Estate.
    Log out character GTDS. Delete GTDS. Log into character "Control Your Variables", who was inside C.S. Estate at the time.
    Check Chest. Bound axes missing, tradable weapons still present. A previously deposited, bound, Master Architect's Axe from Control Your Variable's inventory was also missing at this time.
    Edited by Erraln on February 8, 2018 3:19PM
  • Karm1cOne
    Karm1cOne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Isn't this why they have a pts? We have every opportunity to test prior to live server. Give them a chance to fix it before losing your head.
    Edited by Karm1cOne on February 8, 2018 2:47PM
  • Erraln
    Erraln
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @ZOS_GinaBruno Storage chests are reproducibly deleting bound items in PTS 3.3.4 when a character who has interacted with the container is deleted.

IF: Bound items exist in a Storage Chest,
    AND: The Storage Chest inventory is modified most recently by Character_to_Delete (items withdrawn or deposited)
    AND: No other player characters interact with the inventory afterwards
    AND: Character_to_Delete is deleted immediately
    THEN: All bound items within the Storage Chest will be lost.

IF: Any character other than Character_to_Delete is loaded into the house containing the Storage Chest BEFORE Character_to_Delete is deleted,
    THEN: Items will not be lost.

Interacting with the inventory (opening the chest) was not necessary to prevent item deletion.

IF: Any character is logged in OUTSIDE the house instance containing the chest, then logged out,
    AND: Character_to_Delete is deleted after this
    THEN: Bound items will still be lost, as Character_to_Delete was still the last modifier.

Merely logging into the game with a different character is not enough.

I'm not a coder at all, but I'm guessing that the bound items inside Storage inventories are being treated as part of the currently logged in character's inventory, to be removed when they are removed.

To avoid this problem, do not immediately delete characters after modifying Storage Chest inventories with them. Access your house with a different alt first.

I did not test whether having the 'same' container in a different house instance would act as described above.

There may be other interactions which result in lost items, this is just the one I found quickest.
  • RaddlemanNumber7
    RaddlemanNumber7
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Erraln wrote: »
    @ZOS_GinaBruno Storage chests are reproducibly deleting bound items in PTS 3.3.4 when a character who has interacted with the container is deleted.

AND: The Storage Chest inventory is modified most recently by Character_to_Delete (items withdrawn or deposited)

IF: Any character other than Character_to_Delete is loaded into the house containing the Storage Chest BEFORE Character_to_Delete is deleted,

Interacting with the inventory (opening the chest) was not necessary to prevent item deletion.

IF: Any character is logged in OUTSIDE the house instance containing the chest, then logged out,
    THEN: Bound items will still be lost, as Character_to_Delete was still the last modifier.

I'm not a coder at all, but I'm guessing that the bound items inside Storage inventories are being treated as part of the currently logged in character's inventory, to be removed when they are removed.

To avoid this problem, do not immediately delete characters after modifying Storage Chest inventories with them. Access your house with a different alt first.

I did not test whether having the 'same' container in a different house instance would act as described above.

There may be other interactions which result in lost items, this is just the one I found quickest.

The characters I deleted to produce and then reproduce this error had never interacted with the storage chests or their contents, nor were they ever in the home where the chests placed.
    PC EU
  • Erraln
    Erraln
    ✭✭✭✭✭

The characters I deleted to produce and then reproduce this error had never interacted with the storage chests or their contents, nor were they ever in the home where the chests placed.

Okay, that sounds like a different failure mode, then. Could you describe the full procedure? You placed items in the chest with character_A, logged out, then deleted an EU copy character? Were there any steps in between? Had the characters you deleted been in a *different* home with placed chests? Did deleting a template act identically? I'm NA, so I can't use previously_existing_character as a modifier.

Working with templates, I observed that simply creating and deleting one while bound items were stored in a house did not end in item loss. Neither did entering the house with one then deleting it, nor (I think) viewing the contents without modifying the inventory, followed by deletion. I may have to recheck that.

The more detail, the better. Item loss is serious business.
    Edited by Erraln on February 8, 2018 5:38PM
  • RaddlemanNumber7
    RaddlemanNumber7
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Okay, that sounds like a different failure mode, then. Could you describe the full procedure? You placed items in the chest with character_A, logged out, then deleted an EU copy character? Were there any steps in between? Had the characters you deleted been in a *different* home with placed chests? Did deleting a template act identically? I'm NA, so I can't use previously_existing_character as a modifier.

Working with templates, I observed that simply creating and deleting one while bound items were stored in a house did not end in item loss. Neither did entering the house with one then deleting it, nor (I think) viewing the contents without modifying the inventory, followed by deletion. I may have to recheck that.

My experience is all with live copy characters off the EU server.

I had been testing storage with 3 or 4 characters before this happened. They left stuff in the home storage containers.

I then chose a character to delete, one that I hadn't used at all in this PTS. I logged into that character. Put all the stuff off them I wanted to keep into the bank via the banker. I logged out to character select and deleted the chosen character.

To reproduce the error I did the same thing with another character that I hadn't used - log in, bank stuff to keep, log out, delete character. That simple.
    PC EU
  • Erraln
    Erraln
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I had been testing storage with 3 or 4 characters before this happened. They left stuff in the home storage containers.

I then chose a character to delete, one that I hadn't used at all in this PTS. I logged into that character. Put all the stuff off them I wanted to keep into the bank via the banker. I logged out to character select and deleted the chosen character.

To reproduce the error I did the same thing with another character that I hadn't used - log in, bank stuff to keep, log out, delete character. That simple.

Via a town banker, a Tythus actively summoned, or Tythus in a home?
  • RaddlemanNumber7
    RaddlemanNumber7
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Via a town banker, a Tythus actively summoned, or Tythus in a home?

The first time I don't remember, I wasn't paying particular attention. Second time definitely the placed Tythis in my Lake Amaya home.

So, I tried to reproduce this error on a new character:

In preparation I made two white Death's Wind axes, and equipped one to bind it. Then placed both axes in the Oaken storage chest placed in Quandam Indorilia.

Logged out to character select. Made a new character, named it, created it, skipped tutorial. Immediately on arriving on the boat, logged out and deleted it. No error. Still had both axes in the Oaken chest.

Repeated character creation as above, but went outside onto the dock and summoned Tythis from the quickslot. Gave Tythis some bound gear. Logged out and deleted the character. No error. Still had both axes in the Oaken chest.

Repeated character creation as above. Ported from the boat to Amaya Lake. Gave bound gear to an already-placed instance of Tythis. Logged out and deleted the character. Bingo! The error occurred - only one axe left in the Oaken chest, the bound one has gone.

So the placed banker seems to be intimately involved in making the error occur.

Looks like and inside job, Chief. I always had my suspicions about that guy ;)
    Edited by RaddlemanNumber7 on February 9, 2018 10:40AM
    PC EU
  • Balastar
    Balastar
    ✭✭✭
    They aren't even aware of this problem...
    Look Ginas reply:
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/4856241#Comment_4856241
    EU/PC trading guild:
    Traders of the Covenant - Grahtwood - Elden Root - To join, contact ingame @Balastar
  • Erraln
    Erraln
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Balastar wrote: »
    They aren't even aware of this problem...
    Look Ginas reply:
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/4856241#Comment_4856241

Well ***.

Make your characters right the first time, everyone.
  • preedb16_ESO2
    preedb16_ESO2
    ✭✭✭
    This is silly.. So I lost my Pledge of Mara, the Precursor dummy from CWC quest, a set of dungeon gear and a 5000 crown ancient orc motif book from the storage box in my house.. All the damn treasure maps are still there though..

Whats even sillier is when I went to the Help system to report it..If I navigate to Help / Item Assistance / Category: "I lost my item" it tells me I should go to my inventory and right click on the item and select "Get help" from the options menu that comes up.. Sure, I will go to my inventory and right click the item that I lost, that I don't have, that ISNT THERE..
    Is this an aprils fools joke they forgot to remove on april 2nd? Or is someone over there that much ***? For real?
  • Moloch1514
    Moloch1514
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is their own PTS bug report thread for a new system, and they ignored the feedback about losing items. Wow.
    PC-NA
  • DoctorESO
    DoctorESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    zaria wrote: »

Bad, bad, bad. Why would something like this get through QA? I would be furious if I lost stuff.