The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

What's up with these ridiculous loading times?

Octopuss
Octopuss
✭✭✭✭✭
Is anything wrong with the game or are 15-20 seconds long loading times normal?
I re-entered a house in Camlorn several times and it was always over 15 seconds to get out and in.
I have a relatively powerful PC so it's not about disk access (besides, it's all data that already is loaded as far as I can tell).
Basically, most of the zoning (with the exception of wayshrines within one zone I think), loading times are absolutely ridiculously long. I almost suspect they are hardcoded to be long enough for those texts that appear on the loading screens to be visible for certain length of time.

Seriously, this is annoying as hell.
  • ZOS_Bill
    ZOS_Bill
    admin
    @Octopuss

Are you still running into this issue with 15-20 second load times? If you are, what troubleshooting have you tried, and is it specific to one character or one zone in game?
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
  • QuebraRegra
    QuebraRegra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ZOS_BillE wrote: »
    @Octopuss

Are you still running into this issue with 15-20 second load times? If you are, what troubleshooting have you tried, and is it specific to one character or one zone in game?

distributed across multiple zoned but far more prevalent in busy areas (WAYREST, etc.). Long loads with 6 different characters, of varying levels (even some sub 20 alts).
  • Octopuss
    Octopuss
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ZOS_BillE wrote: »
    @Octopuss

There's nothing to troubleshoot I'm afraid.
    I've experienced this from the moment I bought the game two weeks ago.
    It happens regardless of zone or character.
    In specific cases the loading times are less than two seconds, like (I think) when going from one wayshrine to another within one zone (but I am not sure whether distance between them plays a role).

Is anyone else actually getting significantly shorter loading/zoning times?
    Edited by Octopuss on August 14, 2017 2:41PM
  • Belegnole
    Belegnole
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nope. I recently built a new computer which has no problem with the game. However load times, especially in last couple weeks have been lengthy.

• Octopuss
    Octopuss
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Another thing is the initial wait before I get to character selection screen. I've just timed it. 45 seconds? Really? What the hell is the game doing the whole time, fetching some data at 10 bytes/s speed?
    Edited by Octopuss on August 14, 2017 4:24PM
  • Avagoth
    Avagoth
    Soul Shriven
    45 seconds?? I can not get tot he character selection screen at all! Waiting for 20+ minutes!!
  • QuebraRegra
    QuebraRegra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Octopuss wrote: »
    Another thing is the initial wait before I get to character selection screen. I've just timed it. 45 seconds? Really? What the hell is the game doing the whole time, fetching some data at 10 bytes/s speed?

yes... from the servers which are configured at 10mb half duplex ;)
  • Octopuss
    Octopuss
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    26 seconds to zone from Outlaws Refuge in Daggerfall back into the streets... seriously, this is not right. 10 seconds would have been too much to zone back where you were previously (and that's counting extra load because of the update!).
    Edited by Octopuss on August 14, 2017 5:20PM
  • Octopuss
    Octopuss
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Even funnier.
    I logged out inside Mages Guild in Davon's Watch, disabled all addons, quit the game, restarted, and timed how long would it take from the character selection screen until I actually see the ingame.
    25 freaking seconds!
    Twenty five seconds to log into an empty interior zone!

Seriously, could you start focusing on optimizing the game system instead of adding any new content for a while?

So yes, @ZOS_BillE, I still do have problems.
    Edited by Octopuss on August 20, 2017 11:48AM
  • Octopuss
    Octopuss
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ...and I've hit an all times record from logging in until character selection screen - 48 seconds. WTF. Pure WTF.
  • Octopuss
    Octopuss
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Today I experienced probably the best example of what's wrong on the server side of the game.
    I zoned in and out of my room in the Ebony Flash inn in Ebonheart. I couldn't believe my eyes. Zoning from a small interior zone into single empty room repeatedly took over 20 seconds.
    I couldn't believe my eyes. I even disabled all my addons (I use a lot of them) and tried again, but no. No change at all.

See for yourself and grab a stopwatch:

Something is horribly wrong or at least ridiculously inefficient about the game simulation running on the servers. Or on the networking side of things. Or both.
    Either way, this is completely unacceptable. It's ridiculous.