The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

WHAT CAUSES INFINITE LOADING SCREENS?

JoeCapricorn
JoeCapricorn
✭✭✭✭✭
They *** me off to no end.
I simp for vampire lords and Glemyos Wildhorn
  • k9mouse
    k9mouse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just one as well... on the PC
    what platform are u?
  • JoeCapricorn
    JoeCapricorn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    PC. They make me RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGE

I'm in one now. It's been 10 minutes. I'm about to force close ESO and restart the client.

BUT IT SURE WOULD BE GREAT IF THESE *** THINGS JUST STOPPED FOREVER
    I simp for vampire lords and Glemyos Wildhorn
  • emily3989
    emily3989
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The game
    Thasi - V16 Magblade Vampire PC/NA
  • ZOS_Bill
    ZOS_Bill
    admin
    Long or infinite loading screens are often caused by add-ons. To resolve this issue, uninstall your addons and try to log in again. To fully remove your add-ons, do the the following in this specific order:
    1. Exit the game
    2. Navigate to C:\Users\<username>\Documents\Elder Scrolls Online\live in windows explorer
    3. Rename Addons to Addons.old
    4. Rename SavedVariables to SavedVariables.old
    5. Check in-game to see if the if the issues persist.

If the issue does not persist, then one of your add-ons is causing the long loading screen. Try re-enabling your preferred add-ons one-by-one in oder to determine which is causing the problem.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ZOS_BillE wrote: »
    Long or infinite loading screens are often caused by add-ons. To resolve this issue, uninstall your addons and try to log in again. To fully remove your add-ons, do the the following in this specific order:
    1. Exit the game
    2. Navigate to C:\Users\<username>\Documents\Elder Scrolls Online\live in windows explorer

If the issue does not persist, then one of your add-ons is causing the long loading screen. Try re-enabling your preferred add-ons one-by-one in oder to determine which is causing the problem.

While I can see addons having an effect on load screens its highly doubtful they're the main culprit for most. PC performance is likely a larger factor (of which addons can add to it) as well as flaws with data transfer when logging.

Zos has always tended to blame addons for game performance. Being I run a large number of addons (3 medely for health bars, buffs/debuffs and group frames plus more) and rarely have a load screen issue it clear the issue goes beyond mere addons.

Yes, addons do add to the load, without a doubt. However, someone is either playing on a potatoe or something else is affecting their PC performance which the simple suggestion I quoted ignores.
  • mikeleg34_ESO
    1. Exit the game

1. I was experiencing a very long load time (from Character select to the game).
    2. Found ZOS_Billie's post while I waited.
    3. Quit ESO.
    4. Followed steps quoted above.
    5. Launched ESO
    6. Got kicked to Sign In: [Paraphrased] Cannot connect. Check and see if you have a valid internet connection.
    7. <Profit

There's obviously something going on with the login server and the processes logging into the game from Character Selection.

• Dillpat
    Dillpat
    ✭✭✭
    1. Exit the game

ive tried what u suggest and have even tried removing all of my addons and its still now working....
  • Bullgar
    Bullgar
    ✭✭
    Same here, just tried this option and it's still not working. Stuck in loading screen before char select with zero addons installed.
    Bullgar, Orc Templar - DC
    Boglar, Imperial Templar - DC
    Paja Blackmane, Khajit NB - DC
    Bullgara, High Elf DK - DC
    Bull-gar, High Elf Warden - DC
  • Kront
    Kront
    Soul Shriven
    Same here, just tried this option and it's still not working. Stuck in loading screen
    Edited by Kront on August 14, 2017 11:22PM
  • natefiaccob14_ESO
    natefiaccob14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Im also stuck. Cant even get to character select. This blows
  • sjaeger172004rwb17_ESO
    Im also stuck. Cant even get to character select. This blows

Same here as well renamed the folders as suggested as well as restarted pc
  • smacx250
    smacx250
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In the few instances I've seen infinite loading screens and looked into it, it seems that the server was not responding to a TCP connection request (stuck on SYN-Sent on the client end). My guess is that a "hand off" was made from one server to another, and the receiving server fumbled it.
  • sjaeger172004rwb17_ESO
    Submitted ticket
  • sjaeger172004rwb17_ESO
    Same issue with avast disabled Maleware bytes disable and windows defender disabled
  • sjaeger172004rwb17_ESO
    Wonder what ZoS broke in the patch ??
  • Turgenev
    Turgenev
    ✭✭✭
    Having the same issue. Steps followed:

1. Renamed Addons and SavedVariables folder under Live with -OLD suffix to bypass addons. No effect.
    2. Reset IP adapter with NETSH INT IP RESET command. No effect.
    3. Disabled software firewall (Bitdefender Firewall). No effect.
    4. Reset OpenDNS settings under DNS from 8.8.8.8/8.8.4.4 to autodetect my ISP defaults. No effect.

End result is the same: I can get to the login screen, and I can enter my password. Click on Login, and my next screen has the spinning Ouroboros in the lower right corner, and the graphic is one of the default load graphics or it's a black/blank screen. I've let this sit for 30 minutes w/o processing.

Sharing this bit to see if there's a trend:
    1. Geographical location: NE USA (Washington DC area)
    2. ISP: Verizon FiOS
    3.Network ping check vs a local ISP (Gigabit, Ashburn, VA) shows full 85/85 Mbps connectivity, no packet loss.

Anyone know if there's a behind-load-balancer IP address we can test against?
    Turgenev || PS | COH | STO | TSW | ESOProud Member of IRON Phoenix
    "Remember. You chose this death." - Lucifer
  • sjaeger172004rwb17_ESO
    Mine is now working after it reinstalled with a repair
  • Turgenev
    Turgenev
    ✭✭✭
    Mine is now working after it reinstalled with a repair

I started that last night before going to bed. I'll update here once I've tested it this morning.
    Edited by Turgenev on August 15, 2017 10:55AM
  • Jake1576
    Jake1576
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    1. Exit the game

I wished this was true for ps4 users we don't even have addons and still get long or infinite load screens lol especially when in a group with other people while in pvp
    Edited by Jake1576 on August 15, 2017 11:01AM
  • magicsprout
    magicsprout
    ✭✭✭
    I doubt its addons. Im xb1 and sixk of them as well as the multiple crash to dash every hour
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The loading screen is something for you to look at while all the different moving parts that make up the game get aligned. There are a ton of moving parts, some owned by ZOS, some owned by the player, and some owned by neither.

After add-ons, which can cause lengthy load screens when loading into the world, or doing a reloadui, the speed of the PC is next important. I have two systems that run ESO here, and one of them takes a lot longer to load into the game. It is mainly the difference between a current generation gaming rig and a previous generation gaming rig, but the difference in load times is incredible.

On top of that, the first time into the game after a patch always takes longer. The game is sorting something out. If you leave it alone, you will normally get to the character screen or get logged out for inactivity before you get to the character select screen. This is especially true on the older or lower performance systems. However, the next time it should be faster. If you kill ESO because it is "hung", sometimes this works, and sometimes it just makes things worse. Wait 5-10 minutes before killing ESO, when it "hangs" during login. First time in after a major update or patch, I usually log in and go do something else for a while. I always come back to an "inactivity timeout".

Once logged into the game, infinite loading screens and drops are caused by a combination of the internet connection and the game. Sometimes one of them. Sometimes both of them. It is usually difficult to tell. Most people just blame the server. It is a convenient scapegoat. Depending on the specific problem, it could be more likely to be the internet.

PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • ZOS_Bill
    ZOS_Bill
    admin
    Some additional troubleshooting for anyone still experiencing infinite loading screens after logging in is to make sure your anti-virus and firewall exceptions are still set correctly.

The application files that may require exceptions are:
    • Bethesda.net_launcher: C:\Program Files (x86)\ZenimaxOnline\Launcher
    • ESO.exe: C:\Program Files (x86)\ZenimaxOnline\The Elder Scrolls Online\game\client\eso.exe
    • Steam.exe: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steam.exe

For some anti-virus programs you may need to add entire folders as exceptions.
    • C:\Program Files (x86)\Zenimax Online\The Elder Scrolls Online\
    • C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\

Once exceptions are up to date, you may need to run a repair through the launcher.

To run a repair through the launcher:
    1. Start The Elder Scrolls Online launcher.
    2. Click on Game Option on top of the News section, and click on the option for Repair.
    3. Allow the launcher to examine all the files for the game. This will take some time.
    4. If any files are found to have problems, the launcher will re-download those files.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
  • Turgenev
    Turgenev
    ✭✭✭
    Some additional troubleshooting for anyone still experiencing infinite loading screens after logging in is to make sure your anti-virus and firewall exceptions are still set correctly.

The application files that may require exceptions are:
    • Bethesda.net_launcher: C:\Program Files (x86)\ZenimaxOnline\Launcher
    • ESO.exe: C:\Program Files (x86)\ZenimaxOnline\The Elder Scrolls Online\game\client\eso.exe
    • Steam.exe: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steam.exe

For some anti-virus programs you may need to add entire folders as exceptions.
    • C:\Program Files (x86)\Zenimax Online\The Elder Scrolls Online\
    • C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\

Once exceptions are up to date, you may need to run a repair through the launcher.

To run a repair through the launcher:
    1. Start The Elder Scrolls Online launcher.
    2. Click on Game Option on top of the News section, and click on the option for Repair.
    3. Allow the launcher to examine all the files for the game. This will take some time.
    4. If any files are found to have problems, the launcher will re-download those files.

Updating from my own experience:

1. All software exceptions were previously done (and rechecked) from Bitdefender 2017, for AV and firewall needs.
    2. A Repair was started last night after my posts, and took a long time to conclude (it began DLing files again).

As of this morning, the sign-in screen only took about a minute for me to get to the character selection screen, and selecting a character only took about another minute after that. I'm in Grahtwood now, which is big improvement.

For my part, this appears fixed after doing the full Repair (I also had absent audio issues). YMMV, but thx, BillE.
  • johannes.bergstromb16_ESO
    Have done alla the steps above twice now and still unable to log in to the game. Had no problems what so ever before the horns of the reach patch. Currently on my longest login attempt so far, been on the loading screen for over 60 min now.
  • Turgenev
    Turgenev
    ✭✭✭
    Have done alla the steps above twice now and still unable to log in to the game. Had no problems what so ever before the horns of the reach patch. Currently on my longest login attempt so far, been on the loading screen for over 60 min now.

Just to make sure my success stuck, I just tried logging in again. Successful, mimicks what I wrote above for time on each stage. As an aside, I also took the time last night to update everything on my PC (OS, Razer Synapse, Nvidia drivers). See my additional steps on this post to see if that helps. Good luck.
  • Quinsha
    Quinsha
    Soul Shriven
    But I don't have any add-ons.
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    WHAT CAUSES INFINITE LOADING SCREENS?
    People that write in all CAPS. The servers don't like to be yelled at ...
    rolleyes.gif

• Scaraben
    Scaraben
    ✭✭✭
    This happens after every patch. First time logging in takes forever. Meaning usually 15-30 minutes. Games dumps you to the login screen for inactivity. Then after that, login is fine.

This time is different. I've had to task manager quit out of ESO twice now after almost an hour, with no dump back to login screen. This has nothing to do with addons or firewall settings. I'm at a loss. This is the worst login delay I've ever had, and I've been playing since beta. I can't imagine how disheartening this experience would be to someone new to the game.
    Edited by Scaraben on August 16, 2017 4:00AM
  • Beardimus
    Beardimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm surprised no one has blamed Sorcs. Spamming their wards tying the servers up in knots.

Xbox One | EU | EP
    Beardimus : VR16 Dunmer MagSorc [RIP MagDW 2015-2018]
    Emperor of Sotha Sil 02-2018 & Sheogorath 05-2019
    1st Emperor of Ravenwatch
    Alts - - for the Lolz
    Archimus : Bosmer Thief / Archer / Werewolf
    Orcimus : Fat drunk Orc battlefield 1st aider
    Scalimus - Argonian Sorc Healer / Pet master

Fighting small scale with : The SAXON Guild
    Fighting with [PvP] : The Undaunted Wolves
    Trading Guilds : TradersOfNirn | FourSquareTraders

Xbox One | NA | EP
    Bëardimus : L43 Dunmer Magsorc / BG
    Heals-With-Pets : VR16 Argonian Sorc PvP / BG Healer
    Nordimus : VR16 Stamsorc
    Beardimus le 13iem : L30 Dunmer Magsorc Icereach
  • prootch
    prootch
    ✭✭✭
    Loading screens are still hapening randomly and very often, even with no addons at all and/or no firewall.

Blaming causes external to ZOS responsability seems dubious : we have a pvp team every evening, and every evening or so we do have some players in the group experiencing long loading screens after a release to a keep or a camp, or a potern being repaired.

As a result, people do rage quit. This has been going on for months now : seeing ZOS representatives trying to avoid the subject and blaming addons reveals that they have no clue about the real causes.

The pb is still there!

We do get random long loading screens series after release/potern closing on some evenings and not at all on other evenings, with no changes of addons/firewalls.

ZOS, do investigate the real cause !