The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Mag Sorc, an alternative to force pulse?

ParaNostram
ParaNostram
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭
Hey so I'm trying to (because it sounds fun to me) create a build with all magic damage in regards to damaging abilities (making use of the War Maiden set) but I've been running into a bit of a problem... I can't think of a spammable I can use instead of force pulse while all of my other abilities are up. Would you have any ideas as to how to make a build for sorcs without force pulse? I would appreciate any advice.

If you want information on my build as it is presently in it's under construction state, it is as follows.
Gear - 7/7 light armor (I know undaunted passive but my one not light armor set item dropped in light), 5/5 War Maiden, 5/5 Martial Knowledge, 1 Molag Kena, Ice Staff, Resto Staff

Ice staff bar - Crystal Frags, Degeneration, Hardened Ward, Encase, Bound Armor, Soul Assault ult
Resto staff bar - Proxy Det, Lingering Curse, Vampiric Drain (Healing Ward is probably still better but I felt like trying this out for ult generation), Daedric Mines, Bound Armor, and Devouring Swarm for the ult.
"Your mistake is you begged for your life, not for mercy. I will show you there are many fates worse than death."

Para Nostram
Bosmer Sorceress
Witch of Evermore

"Death is a privilege that can be denied by it's learned scholars."
Order of the Black Worm
  • adriant1978
    adriant1978
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Unfortunately not much in the Sorc toolkit does straight up magic damage, and Sorc is the only class without its own spammable. Time was you could have used Trapping Webs, but they made that a stamina ability.

Erm... Soul Trap? B)

I think War Maiden is really intended for classes with more magic damage in their toolkit, like Wardens, but as someone else who likes to experiment and try to defy the meta I wish you good luck.
  • lolo_01b16_ESO
    lolo_01b16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I'd say invigorating drain would be the best choice as "spammable" for such a build. If it's just for solo content, you could also use inner rage.
  • Sheey
    Sheey
    ✭✭✭✭
    Soul trap

Trapping webs

Wrath (execut)

Encase (root)
  • Irylia
    Irylia
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Might be for your build but I'd swap the ice staff to inferno for more damage
  • s7732425ub17_ESO
    s7732425ub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Change Force Pulse to Destructive Reach/Clench.

And use heavy attacks as your spammable.

Because of how often you need to refresh Sorc DOTs, you will pretty much only have time to cast two heavy attacks each rotation. So it's easy and still provides good dps to use heavy attacks as your spammable.
    Edited by s7732425ub17_ESO on June 15, 2017 6:29PM
  • Autolycus
    Autolycus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Daedric Tomb serves as a viable spammable ability in lieu of Force Pulse if the fight calls for burst damage and allows for periodic opportunities to regain resources. Fights in HoF tend to allow for this, whereas other trials tend to call more for sustained damage. Daedric Tomb is a huge magicka sink, though. So if you don't have time to get resources back, you'll be OOM.

There are some non-spammable heavy attack builds rolling around right now that are viable as well, if that's your cup of tea.
  • Biro123
    Biro123
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm guessing its for PVE - in which case, War Maiden is simply a poor choice..

Although for PVP I'm kind of considering it with a DW build... since the only damaging ability which isn't magic is gonna be wrath..
    Minalan owes me a beer.

PC EU Megaserver
    Minie Mo - Stam/Magblade - DC
    Woody Ron - Stamplar - DC
    Aidee - Magsorc - DC
    Notadorf - Stamsorc - DC
    Khattman Doo - Stamblade - Relegated to Crafter, cos AD.
  • cpuScientist
    cpuScientist
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you want magic damage as a spammable. No elements whatsoever then there are 2 options.

1. Crystal Blast, other frag morph (or just frag in general the other morph just gives it an AOE component)
    2. Heavy attacks with a resto staff.

These are the 2 options. And yes include would trap as a dot. Obviously this is faaar from BIS. But I do get that it's fun to mess around like that.
  • Witar
    Witar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Heavy with lightning staff. 40k dps solo target is doable in some builds.
    It cannot be seen, cannot be felt,
    Cannot be heard, cannot be smelt,
    It lies behind stars and under hills,
    And empty holes it fills,
    It comes first and follows after,
    Ends life, kills laughter.
  • Oreyn_Bearclaw
    Oreyn_Bearclaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, you are like 4 patches too late (or whenever it was they changed trapping webs, probably longer).

I go without force pulse on a HA build, but otherwise its hard to drop. Sorc does mostly lighting damage, so I believe war maiden is ultimately a poor choice.

The best spammable for a sorc not using FP is a full HA from a lighting staff.
  • pizzaow
    pizzaow
    ✭✭✭
    Daedric Tomb with heavy attack does a ton of damage. Tomb is magic damage, but I'd still recommend using a different set.
    Here are a couple build videos:
    52K 100% self buffed (Homestead)
    40K 100% self buffed (Precise/no pet) (Morrowind)
    XBox/NA GT: Pizzaow