The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
The maintenance is complete, and the PTS is now back online and patch 10.0.1 is available.

PTS Feedback Thread for Buff & Debuff Indicators

ZOS_GinaBruno
ZOS_GinaBruno
Community Manager
This is the official feedback thread for the buff & debuff indicators. Specific feedback that the team is looking for includes the following:
  • Did you understand how to turn these on?
  • Did these indicators convey enough understandable information?
  • Did you find these were configurable enough when utilizing the filters?
  • Is it clear what the different settings do?
  • Does the positioning of buffs and debuffs make sense for you and your target?
  • Do the icons make sense?
  • Did you ever see a Blue Skull icon appear on you or your target?
  • Are there any additional features, filters or settings you'd like to see?
  • Do you have any other general feedback?
Gina Bruno
Senior Community Manager
Dev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter | My Twitter
Staff Post
  • ArtOfShred
    ArtOfShred
    ✭✭✭
    Did you ever see a Blue Skull icon appear on you or your target?

Yessss the time of the blue skull placeholder icon is no more! I'll have lots of feedback related to this component to provide over the next few weeks when I go through everything on my spreadsheet again: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1YOCz2ESzmdcs-QZ4whVNtcFDtcglpbiv-VYxUhZHGpk/edit?usp=sharing
    Edited by ArtOfShred on April 17, 2017 10:16PM
  • Enodoc
    Enodoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a bit of feedback already, assuming it's the same as seen in ESO Live. (Still downloading, so can't test yet.) I don't like the way the icons jump about when a buff is added/removed due to the centre-alignment.

Example:
              [   ]          
           [   ] [   ]       
        [   ] [   ] [   ]    
     [   ] [   ] [   ] [   ] 

If the centre-alignment is staying, please anchor it so that the first icon stays in one place:
              [   ]          
              [   ] [   ]       
        [   ] [   ] [   ]    
        [   ] [   ] [   ] [   ] 

Or preferably, left- or right- align the whole thing:
     [   ]          
     [   ] [   ]       
     [   ] [   ] [   ]    
     [   ] [   ] [   ] [   ] 

UESP: The Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages - A collaborative source for all knowledge on the Elder Scrolls series since 1995
    Join us on Discord - discord.gg/uesp
  • Attica-Centurius
    ESO Plus Member 'buff' does not yet show increased bank amount in tooltip.
  • alexkdd99
    alexkdd99
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lol this is the only good thing about the base game patch.
  • daedalusAI
    daedalusAI
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here it goes:
    • To find the options I was searching under gameplay, interface and combat - makes no sense to have the combat options at the bottom of the list while it should be near interface/gameplay
    • The buff icons itself convey nothing as you can't just hover over them like you would in any other mmorpg out there: you either are forced to go into your character screen to read the descriptions or you have to switch to cursor mode in the middle of the fight to be able to actually read them
    • You only have basic configuration options while missing a lot: re-sizing, sort order, the freedom to put them where I want them
    • The icons itself are way too big and look out of place
  • Zakor
    Zakor
    ✭✭✭
    daedalusAI wrote: »
    Here it goes:
    • To find the options I was searching under gameplay, interface and combat - makes no sense to have the combat options at the bottom of the list while it should be near interface/gameplay
    • The buff icons itself convey nothing as you can't just hover over them like you would in any other mmorpg out there: you either are forced to go into your character screen to read the descriptions or you have to switch to cursor mode in the middle of the fight to be able to actually read them
    • You only have basic configuration options while missing a lot: re-sizing, sort order, the freedom to put them where I want them
    • The icons itself are way too big and look out of place

This plus:
    We need a way to place the timer where we want. I hate it when my timer is below the icon and put it IN the icon. My friend always puts his timers ABOVE the icon.
    Also, we need different bars for buffs and debuffs (like debuffs are another bar above the buffs or vice versa).

In general: It's nice that you finally gave us this tool, but we need far more freedom to configure it.
  • daedalusAI
    daedalusAI
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Another thing while I'm on a templar:
    Why do you think it's a good idea to separate every minor and major buff effect into its own category and thus spam my screen with icons?

My restoring aura alone spams me with 3 icons being minor intellect, fortitude and endurance. Throw inner light in there with major prophecy and I already got 4 icons - and no - disabling permanent buffs can't be the solution.

Some sort of filter options to select which buffs/debuffs I want to see could be a solution.

And I gotta say: the icons itself look rather ugly with their metal-ish look as if they're some sort of rune carved out of a stone.

PTS:
    screenshot_20170418_121012.png

My UI on live server:
    screenshot_20170323_113306.png

The difference in presentation is immeasurable.
    Edited by daedalusAI on April 18, 2017 10:14AM
  • daedalusAI
    daedalusAI
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Minor lifesteal from blood altar doesn't display a debuff icon to enemies.
    Edited by daedalusAI on April 18, 2017 10:13AM
  • Cinbri
    Cinbri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Enodoc wrote: »
    I have a bit of feedback already, assuming it's the same as seen in ESO Live. (Still downloading, so can't test yet.) I don't like the way the icons jump about when a buff is added/removed due to the centre-alignment.

Example:
              [   ]          
           [   ] [   ]       
        [   ] [   ] [   ]    
     [   ] [   ] [   ] [   ] 

If the centre-alignment is staying, please anchor it so that the first icon stays in one place:
              [   ]          
              [   ] [   ]       
        [   ] [   ] [   ]    
        [   ] [   ] [   ] [   ] 

[   ]          
     [   ] [   ]       
     [   ] [   ] [   ]    
     [   ] [   ] [   ] [   ] 

Fully agree on it, also would be nice to have option same as addons have - to unlock position and customize it manually. On my screen debuff list if too high on top to even look there while tracking buffs at bottom.
    Edited by Cinbri on April 18, 2017 10:22AM
  • MurderMostFoul
    MurderMostFoul
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As a console player, thank you. This is the one UI addition I yearned for above all others.
    “There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so.”
  • Cellentel
    Cellentel
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ground AoEs (wall of elements, at least) don't seem to show up as either a buff on you or a debuff on an enemy. They should show up somewhere.
  • Strider_Roshin
    Strider_Roshin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Everything was easy to find. My issue with the buff trackers is the lack of customization. I would love it if I could go to my character sheet, and select which buff to track, and which ones to not track.

For example, I don't need to see my Major Brutality tracked since I use Rally, and I use the heal quite often.

I do not need to see when my minor savagery is active since I'm a Nightblade, and it's up 24/7.

I do not need to track major evasion since I use Shuffle, and it's quite obvious when it is active.

But I would like to keep track of my Minor Berserk buff. Can we make buff trackers this customize-able? Because at the moment it's a line of pictures; which drowns the only buffs I care to track.
  • wimhwimladimf
    wimhwimladimf
    ✭✭✭
    Please allow us to separate specific buffs and debuffs in to separate windows. Having all buffs and debuffs nearby in one window make it every difficult to track the important ones, especially, when multiple buffs and debuffs are involved and their positiong change, because one run out and other proc, etc.

It should work the same way we can create new chat "window" and then allow us to move that window with specific buffs or debuffs to w/e position we want.

That would solve a lot of problems and make tracking buffs/debuffs enjoyable.
  • Latin
    Latin
    ✭✭✭
    Enodoc wrote: »

Example:
              [   ]          
           [   ] [   ]       
        [   ] [   ] [   ]    
     [   ] [   ] [   ] [   ] 

[   ]          
              [   ] [   ]       
        [   ] [   ] [   ]    
        [   ] [   ] [   ] [   ] 

[   ]          
     [   ] [   ]       
     [   ] [   ] [   ]    
     [   ] [   ] [   ] [   ] 

This is a good idea.

It would be better if the placement and anchoring could be customised on a per account/character basis, with an additional option to use text representation as opposed to the pictorial icon. As it is, some of the icons do not resemble the skills that triggered them (e.g. Elemental Drain).
  • NBrookus
    NBrookus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Buff tracking is a great addition.

The icons are so gleamy and shining they are difficult to read at a glance. There's also no Rosetta Stone for deciphering them except to get the buff or debuff and go to the character window and scroll down, which doesn't help in combat. Perhaps in the skills window, when a skill provides a buff or debuff, the icon should be displayed with it?
  • rookit
    rookit
    Soul Shriven
    Did you understand how to turn these on?
    Yes.

Did these indicators convey enough understandable information?
    No.

Did you find these were configurable enough when utilizing the filters?
    No.

Is it clear what the different settings do?
    Yes.

Does the positioning of buffs and debuffs make sense for you and your target?
    Yes.

Do the icons make sense?
    No.

No.

Are there any additional features, filters or settings you'd like to see?
    Yes. Full text like stendarr/FTC

Do you have any other general feedback?
    Great feature, just needs to be more like the addons that you can download today or it is pointless.
  • Strider_Roshin
    Strider_Roshin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Buff timers need much more extensive customization. I want to be able to hand pick each buff, and debuff on my character, and on my opponent. Seeing every little buff/debuff just looks like a mess.
  • LAiq_theMiar
    LAiq_theMiar
    ✭✭

Very clearly from the settings menu, but I probably wouldn't know it was a feature if I wasn't already looking for it. A tutorial prompt letting the player know it exists could be helpful!

The transparency strobing of the icons to denote the buff is wearing off was a very nice and clear indicator to me. As for understandability and being able to quickly parse the buff tracker, if I didn't already know explicitly what buffs I was looking for on the buff tracker, most of the icons wouldn't really make any sense to me.

The configuration and customization felt very bare to be honest.

It is a bit of mystery to me how the "Automatic" vs "Always On" operates, but I assume Automatic basically means it only shows the tracked buffs while in combat? Otherwise, mainly clear.

It makes sense where it is positioned, but I feel its exact positioning isn't quite where I want it. I want to be able to either drag it a bit lower so it sits closer to my resource bars, or put it up the top of the screen underneath the compass/enemy HP bars where I am accustomed to putting my AddOn buff tracker.

Do the icons make sense?

Kind of. I'm used to Srenndar's showing of the icon of the skill where the buff came from, not a separate icon for the buff itself, so it took a bit of adjusting to relearn all of the new icons.

Not yet, but if it is the same Blue Skull icon as displayed in Srenndar for random non-combat gameplay debuffs (like the "STUN" from getting in and out of hiding basket in hews bane etc), I will keep an eye out for it on the bufftracker.

Repositioning options for the bufftracker, options to change the ordering of tracked buffs. Perhaps option to include text of the name of the buffs. Definitely being able to filter out some abilities specifically, or for the buff tracker to only track specific preselected buffs.

A very welcome addition, but a bit difficult to parse the information in the middle of a battle. With Srendarr, I would very quickly glance to my tracked buffs at around the top-left of screen, see bars/seconds remaining of duration, and immediately be able to continue fighting. With this stock bufftracker however, I glance down at it in the middle of battle and get a bit confused trying to figure it out. Its position on the screen means the glance it took me to look down at takes fractionally longer than where I would otherwise look, and it diverts attention heavily away from the current battle.
    Edited by LAiq_theMiar on April 20, 2017 4:15AM
  • Auldjohn
    Auldjohn
    ✭✭✭✭
    This is the official feedback thread for the buff & debuff indicators. Specific feedback that the team is looking for includes the following:
    • Did you understand how to turn these on?
      No, I could not seem to find them in Settings
    • Did these indicators convey enough understandable information?
      My newest Imperial Warden only showed a single heath bar above, now buff/debuff or other status bars beneath my character.
    • Did you find these were configurable enough when utilizing the filters?
      Since they did not appear filters are irrelevant.
    • Is it clear what the different settings do?
      N/A
    • Does the positioning of buffs and debuffs make sense for you and your target?
      N/A
    • Do the icons make sense?
      N/A
    • Did you ever see a Blue Skull icon appear on you or your target?
      No
    • Are there any additional features, filters or settings you'd like to see
      When I can activate buff/debuff I may have suggestions.
    • Do you have any other general feedback?
      IK sometimes causes my mount to shudder back and forth.
      In [Bleakrock Village, one of the NPCs was standing in front of stone fence post (?). When I was talking with-him hear was inappropriately obscured by the stone post which was actually behind him. He looked like a bodiless head. After I said "Goddbye" he was again properly standing in front of the stone post.

@AuldjohnThe Elder Sages' GuildMaster Sage & Co-Founderfacebook.com/groups/theeldersagesguild
    "Old gamers never die; they just respawn and game on!" • Our Slogan: Have Fun!!

Moot Envoy • Tamriel Foundry Adept • Steam ID Auldjohn
    YouTube auldjohnmastersage • Twitch AuldjohnPCGamer• Steam Group TESGs
  • niawrathb16_ESO
    niawrathb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    I am done some testing of the Buff Tracking I found it easy to set up. I agree with previous comments about the ICON showing the Abilities Icons instead of the Buffs Icons, we can ofcourse get used to the new system however it would be a smoother transition for players that use these types of addons.

Suggestion: I would like to see the Icons with a variety of sizes maybe just a small medium and large to begin with? As I would like to see larger Icons as I play on a 32in TV from the sofa (like a console player but I use wireless mouse and keyboard).

May you have keen eyes and sharp scythes

Morrigan Duskhunter
    Aldmeri Dominion - Sorcerer

The Reapers Guild - PC/Mac - EU - AD
    The Reapers Guild are recruiting! We run regular events from Motif Gathering to PvP. We run weekly N. Trials and achievement earning events. We have a website we require you to join us on and a Guild Hall with Transmute and Crafting Stations. We also have TS and Crafting Officers. We are a community we love to help so any experience is welcome. We are looking for people who join in! Jump in a group tag along to an event or play and chill in guild chat or on our Teamspeak channel. Really join in and get chub in our fishing events! Get "welcomed to the asylum" by whispering me
  • Blech43
    Blech43
    ✭✭
    Personally, I'm not a fan of using just icons for buff/debuff indicators.

I prefer seeing a horizontal bar that pairs the icon and the text name of the specific buff/debuff ("minor intellect," for example). This "icon + text" setup makes it much, much easier to process and track, especially when you're in the heat of combat and have half a dozen buffs/debuffs running at once.

For reference, I currently use Srendarr's buff/debuff tracker, which I think is very good.
  • Contraptions
    Contraptions
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes.

Kind of. I actually enjoy seeing the so called "hidden buffs" that mobs or enemies have like "flying immunities" etc. hope those can be configured to appear. I would also prefer the icon to have the name of the skill or effect, like "rally" "15 s". I also preferred that the icon be the icon of the skill, which is more recognizable that the icon of the buff. The timer number is also hard to see.

No.

No.

I would rather I have control over where they appear. Having to sweep up and down the screen to see my buffs and the enemy's debuffs under their healthbar is rather annoying.

Do the icons make sense?
    No.

No.

Let us track our skills. Srenndarr has the choice to track DOTs, ground AOEs, etc. Knowing when it's time to refresh a DOT is important at endgame, and can be hard to see in most dungeon and trial settings due to all the skill visual effects going off.

Also, would like a visual/audio change to differentiate friendly/hostile skills and ults. In busy fights often it is impossible to see the red telegraphs on the ground. More visual differentiation is needed to allow players to quickly determine danger zones.

Rather lacking currently, but functional I suppose. Needs way more options and customization.
    Patroller and Editor at UESP
  • LeoSzilard
    LeoSzilard
    ✭✭✭
    In general I found the debuff/buff trackers useful; however, I want to be able to have better control over which buffs/debuffs are displayed. For example, if I activate Hurricane, I don't need my buffs cluttered with Minor Expedition, Major Ward, and Major Resolve. I want to be able to select specific buffs/debuffs/dots to be displayed. If providing that level of customization is not feasible, then divide the buff/debuff windows into different rows where the active skills are shown on one row (e.g. "Hurricane", "Hardened Armor", etc.) and Major/Minor buffs are shown on another row (e.g. "Major Ward", "Major Reslove", etc.).
  • Dracane
    Dracane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    One thing we think is missing, is that the strenght of damage shields is displayed somewhere.
    When I cast a damage shield, I see the purple overlay on my health bar to get an idea of how much I have left, but that's still a bit unsatisfying.
    Auri-El is my lord,
    Trinimac is my shield,
    Magnus is my mind.
  • Rungar
    Rungar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I tested them out.

they seem to work fine and they look ok. Didn't see any skulls. Tried pretty much all my skills on my dragonknight and they all worked.

I have one request though.

I would like to be able to choose small or large icons from the different groups and a highlight color.

the size difference doesn't have to be gigantic, just bigger to catch my eye

for instance debuffs on me I would make large to separate them from the crowd. Same with short buffs on me..

I would leave the long and permanent small. the important ones would kind of "pop".

doesn't quite have the options of srendarr but its usable for sure.

It's 0.0666 of a second to midnight.

Rungar's Mystical Emporium
  • MrBrandon
    MrBrandon
    ✭✭✭
    I'm console. Can anyone post some pictures or video of them in action. Been waiting along time for this.
  • Rungar
    Rungar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Heres a pic. Its attached.
    Edited by Rungar on April 21, 2017 5:13PM
    It's 0.0666 of a second to midnight.

Rungar's Mystical Emporium
  • CavalryPK
    CavalryPK
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would like to be able move the biff trackers. and position them where I want them to be.

Additionally I would like to see a buff icon for spectral bow when merciless resolve or grim focus procs.

THE CAVELRY HAS ARRIVED! Cav is a professional magblade, (in his not so professional opinion). He is immortal and is fighting for the Pact since 2E 572, amidst the turmoil of the Second Akaviri Invasion. He protects the provinces of Skyrim, Morrowind and Black Marsh.

Check out his PVP YouTube channel !

https://youtube.com/TheCavalryPK
  • kylewwefan
    kylewwefan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Thanks for sharing pic!
  • MrBrandon
    MrBrandon
    ✭✭✭
    Rungar wrote: »
    Heres a pic. Its attached.