The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Official Discussion Thread for "ESO: Morrowind - Faith in the Shadow of Red Mountain"

ZOS_JessicaFolsom
ZOS_JessicaFolsom
Community Manager
d02dc2a13f637e35a8116ef5ec6d6202.jpg

This is the official discussion thread for the ESO: Morrowind - Faith in the Shadow of Red Mountain blog article.

Through the ages, the people of Vvardenfell have turned to Vivec and the Great Houses in times of crisis. Read a short lore book inspired by the events in The Elder Scrolls Online: Morrowind and The Elder Scrolls III, and the unwavering faith of those who call Morrowind home.
Jessica Folsom
Lead Community Manager - ZeniMax Online Studios
Facebook | Twitter | Twitch | Tumblr | Instagram | YouTube | Support
Staff Post
  • Cinbri
    Cinbri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks. After this I know for 100% that for the first time in eso i will enjoy lore books coz it was just fantastic!!! Intended or not but I fount 1 reference to tes3 quest.
    Edited by Cinbri on March 2, 2017 6:47PM
  • fwr.phoenixub17_ESO
    I can only hope that this Llevule is not Llevule Andrano who is recently dead by the time of TES3.
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Awesome! :blush:

Would love to see more little lore snippets like this each month.
    @Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
  • JD2013
    JD2013
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That was a very cool read. I hope we see more of these things for Morrowind and indeed all area DLC!
    Sweetrolls for all!

Christophe Mottierre - Breton Templar with his own whole darn estate! Templar Houses are so 2015. EU DC

PC Beta Tester January 2014

Elder of The Black
    Order of Sithis
    The Runners

@TamrielTraverse - For Tamriel related Twitter shenanigans!
    https://tamrieltraveller.wordpress.com/

Crafting bag OP! ZOS nerf pls!
  • fwr.phoenixub17_ESO
    Turelus wrote: »

I'd prefer a full-pledged Loremaster's Archive. Miss them. Also, it would be nice to see the Interactive Map of Tamriel live and updated. @ZOS_GinaBruno and @ZOS_JessicaFolsom ! If you hear that, please tell what've become of them.
    Edited by fwr.phoenixub17_ESO on March 2, 2017 11:51PM
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Turelus wrote: »

I'd prefer a full-pledged Loremaster's Archive. Miss them. Also, it would be nice to see the Interactive Map of Tamriel live and updated. @ZOS_GinaBruno ! If you hear that, please tell what've become of them.

Well if we're really going down the route of website content I would love to have actual dev blogs each week/month (something like this: https://community.eveonline.com/news/dev-blogs ) but I know that's a dream. :cry:
    @Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
  • WhiteCoatSyndrome
    WhiteCoatSyndrome
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Wait...
    when it is even said that the Nerevarine has risen among the Ashlanders?

...they look with fear on the return of the Nerevarine but look to Nerevar as an example to emulate? Someone explain this please?

On a mostly-unrelated note, it looks like we'll be seeing Failed Incarnate Idrenie Nerothan during our explorations. :)
    #proud2BAStarObsessedLoony
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!
    A useful explanation for how RNG works

PC/NA ROLLBACKS AND BAN NOTIFICATIONS ANNOUNCEMENT.
  • TheRimOfTheSky
    TheRimOfTheSky
    ✭✭✭✭
    Wait...

"when it is even said that the Nerevarine has risen among the Ashlanders?"

...they look with fear on the return of the Nerevarine but look to Nerevar as an example to emulate? Someone explain this please?

I think the general belief in Morrowind is that the Tribunal Temple are the only true gods, and that the original anticipations are false Daedra. Azura set in the Nerevarine Prophecy, so as it is associated with her, it is considered false by most Dunmer other than the Ashlanders, who still revere Azura as the Chimer initially did. In TES 3 Vivec mainly helps you because he knows that it is now the time for Morrowind to do away with the mortal gods and that you're the only one who can defeat Dagoth Ur. ESO is long before that, so any who are proclaimed to be Nerevarine are persecuted.
    On a mostly-unrelated note, it looks like we'll be seeing Failed Incarnate Idrenie Nerothan during our explorations. :)

I predicted this a little while back, it's good to see Zenimax is doing something with the Failed Incarnates. Nerothan fought in the Akaviri Invasion, likely the second one which happened just 10 years before ESO, so it makes sense she is the current Nerevarine. Apparently she died in Kogoruhn, which is in the northern Ashlands.
  • WhiteCoatSyndrome
    WhiteCoatSyndrome
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think the general belief in Morrowind is that the Tribunal Temple are the only true gods, and that the original anticipations are false Daedra. Azura set in the Nerevarine Prophecy, so as it is associated with her, it is considered false by most Dunmer other than the Ashlanders, who still revere Azura as the Chimer initially did. In TES 3 Vivec mainly helps you because he knows that it is now the time for Morrowind to do away with the mortal gods and that you're the only one who can defeat Dagoth Ur. ESO is long before that, so any who are proclaimed to be Nerevarine are persecuted.

That doesn't explain anything. Persecuting someone is not the same as being afraid of them. Persecuting someone claiming to be Nerevar when you respect Nerevar makes some sense--'Nerevar was a really awesome guy, how dare you lie about being him!' But FEARING someone you look up to for their courage makes no sense, not unless there's a healthy dose of context missing.

I predicted this a little while back, it's good to see Zenimax is doing something with the Failed Incarnates. Nerothan fought in the Akaviri Invasion, likely the second one which happened just 10 years before ESO, so it makes sense she is the current Nerevarine. Apparently she died in Kogoruhn, which is in the northern Ashlands.

You and half of Tamriel. ;) I think I'm going to put looking for her near the top of my to-do list when I reach Vvardenfell...

#proud2BAStarObsessedLoony
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!
    A useful explanation for how RNG works

PC/NA ROLLBACKS AND BAN NOTIFICATIONS ANNOUNCEMENT.
  • Kehnara
    Kehnara
    Just curious, as I could not find the answer on the official page, will there be new housing available in the new playable area? And if so are they any details yet?
  • fwr.phoenixub17_ESO
    Kehnara wrote: »
    Just curious, as I could not find the answer on the official page, will there be new housing available in the new playable area? And if so are they any details yet?
    Yes there will. No details yet though.
    I would imagine there definitely will be a Telvanni mushroom house as one option.
  • Cinbri
    Cinbri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

That doesn't explain anything. Persecuting someone is not the same as being afraid of them. Persecuting someone claiming to be Nerevar when you respect Nerevar makes some sense--'Nerevar was a really awesome guy, how dare you lie about being him!' But FEARING someone you look up to for their courage makes no sense, not unless there's a healthy dose of context missing.
    It kinda easy (or in fact not easy) and related to lie that Tribunal used about their ascension. According official Tribunal doctrine: Nerevar was greatest dude, etc. who upon death, betrayed by Voryn Dagoth, blessed creation of Tribunal. So, he became main saint of new faith. While in reality Vivec/Alma/Sotha betrayed and killed Nerevar, used Heart for what Azura cursed chimers into dunmers and propheted that by her power incarnation of Nerevar will return as Nerevarine and end reign of Tribunal. Ashlanders don't serve to Tribunal so they spread this prophecy, it became "ashlanders' prophecy" based on words of Alandro Sul, shield-companion of Nerevar who departed to ashlanders after his master death; while for ALMSIVI it symbolise threat so they were trying to expel any knowledge related to it as it uncover lie about their divine nature. Within Tribunal exists so called order of Dissident Priests who contest divine origin of Tribunal and spread ashlanders' prophecy of Nerevarine, being called heretics and tortured/killed/imprisoned for it by Inquisitors (in one of lore-book "The Battle of Red Mountain" you can read that Vivec himself was participated in those things).
    tl;dr: for ashlanders Nerevarine is symbol of hope. For Tribunal it is unofficially threat, something like officially Nerevar might be best dude ever, unofficially, his incarnation, Nerevarine - most wanted criminal, whos very existense is already challenge to Living Gods. Thats why in tes3 when you revealed as Nerevarine - Ordinators were tried to kill you on sight.
    Edited by Cinbri on March 3, 2017 7:35AM
  • FLambda
    FLambda
    ✭✭✭
    Wait...
    "when it is even said that the Nerevarine has risen among the Ashlanders?"
    Yes, yes yes yes! Please let this be so!
    Remember: there's no such thing as the Universal Standard of Descriptional Qualifications and Metrics.

The Wisdom of M'aiq the Liar:
    • You wish to become a lich? It's very easy, my friend. Simply find the heart of a lich, combine it with the tongue of a dragon, and cook it with the flesh of a well-ridden horse. This combination is certain to make you undead.
    • M'aiq prefers to adventure alone. Others just get in the way. And they talk, talk, talk.
  • Cinbri
    Cinbri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    . Apparently she died in Kogoruhn, which is in the northern Ashlands.
    And apparently it means that Kogoruhn was already dangerous place back than. Wonder who or maybe what killed her. Will be nice if it will be available for exploration and we can find answer by ourselves.

• Eweroun
    Eweroun
    ✭✭✭✭
    Cinbri wrote: »
    And apparently it means that Kogoruhn was already dangerous place back than. Wonder who or maybe what killed her. Will be nice if it will be available for exploration and we can find answer by ourselves.

Kogoruhn... Ooh, that means those ancient dunmer strongholds will be present? Does this mean the strongholds are in the game as well? I really hope to go back to those places... Valenvaryon, Marandus, Falensarano,...
    Oh, @ZOS_JessicaFolsom or @ZOS_GinaBruno one more question. You guys announced the Silk Striders... Will we have the Propylon chambers again?
    Edited by Eweroun on March 3, 2017 9:09AM
    |Lunar Lattice - Guildmaster / Fullmoon group raidlead|
    |Potato Knights - former core member|
    |former dd-"The Phoenix Reborn", former raidlead "Omnia Vincit /Playdead"|

clears: vCrag HM - vMoL HM - vHoF HM - vAS HM (+2) - vCR+3 - vSS HM
  • Veloth_Telvannis
    Veloth_Telvannis
    Soul Shriven
    Will there be another LIVE episode for us on twitch tonight?
    also: will there be any examples of Redoran Architecture present? i've only seen Ald Ruhn so far... and that was overrun by ashlanders.
  • Recremen
    Recremen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice little blurb. It's told in a very different voice from a lot of other Dunmeri religious texts, which I think does well to show the diversity of approaches to Tribunal faith in the region. I know we all like to think it's Pure Incomprehensible Mysticism, All The Time, but at some point there's got to be priests who can sermonize in a way that's acceptable to the common person.
    Men'Do PC NA AD Khajiit
    Grand High Illustrious Mid-Tier PvP/PvE Bussmunster
  • Faulgor
    Faulgor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Eweroun wrote: »
    Cinbri wrote: »

Kogoruhn... Ooh, that means those ancient dunmer strongholds will be present? Does this mean the strongholds are in the game as well? I really hope to go back to those places... Valenvaryon, Marandus, Falensarano,...
    Oh, @ZOS_JessicaFolsom or @ZOS_GinaBruno one more question. You guys announced the Silk Striders... Will we have the Propylon chambers again?

The strongholds that are visible on the datamined map are

Andasreth
    Berandas
    Falasmaryon
    Falensarano
    Hlormaren
    Indoranyon
    Kogoruhn
    Marandus
    Telasero
    Valenvaryon

So that's all of them except Rotheran.
    Alandrol Sul: He's making another Numidium?!?
    Vivec: Worse, buddy. They're buying it.
  • Llevndryn
    Llevndryn
    ✭✭✭
    Great and intriguing text !