The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

I did my first dungeon tonight with Group finder

Rohamad_Ali
Rohamad_Ali
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
So I finally did a dungeon with a group and using the group finder tool . It was normal mode Banished Cells and everyone was new and very nice . We completed it no problem and I was actually impressed with the how fun it was . No one minded waiting for each other and listening to stuff and exploring . Just a bunch of cool players all helping each other to learn and complete it . It was really fast too . I'm sure the veteran ones take more time and skill but I didn't want to que for those till I L2P in normal mode ones first . Three years and I just learned you get a skill point for them lol .

Anyways , no drama or weird stories and the group tool worked perfectly . Thinking of doing all of them this way cause I had so much fun . :smile:
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have used it a little, less than ten times I guess? However like you I've had really nice competent friendly groups.
    @Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
  • Rohamad_Ali
    Rohamad_Ali
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Turelus wrote: »
    I have used it a little, less than ten times I guess? However like you I've had really nice competent friendly groups.

After all the forum horror stories , I was so scared to click that ready button lol ...
  • Eweroun
    Eweroun
    ✭✭✭✭
    Most of the time it's quite fun to do... the anger starts when people leave or start raging one to another..
    thing is... you need time to do it...

time to wait for a group... time to clear it...
    |Lunar Lattice - Guildmaster / Fullmoon group raidlead|
    |Potato Knights - former core member|
    |former dd-"The Phoenix Reborn", former raidlead "Omnia Vincit /Playdead"|

clears: vCrag HM - vMoL HM - vHoF HM - vAS HM (+2) - vCR+3 - vSS HM
  • Rohamad_Ali
    Rohamad_Ali
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Eweroun wrote: »
    Most of the time it's quite fun to do... the anger starts when people leave or start raging one to another..

The wait to get a group was long . I was wondering if anyone even ques normal mode after awhile . I can see where that causes issues after a long time passes and not enough time is left for someone to do the dungeon . I just made sure to commit once I was in .
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Eweroun wrote: »

Generally (and I am going to start a storm in this thread) I find that the arguing starts when "elite PvE" players start telling everyone what to do and how they suck.

I have seen boss wipes which have been stressful and players have talked tactics and advice in a nice way and gotten past it, and I have seen the "elite PvE player" start talking about how we're all terrible at the game because they've done vSO twenty times and know everything which should happen blah blah blah.

I should also mention those were PUG groups but not via group finder, from zone form up.
    @Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
  • greylox
    greylox
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I only pug (I know, I must hate myself lol) and more so than not it's a good run, yeah you get morons but that's life. Don't take anything personally if anything bad does happen. People definitely shouldn't be scared to run with the group finder!
    PC EU

House of the Black Lotus
    *{Smokes-in-the-Shade }* (Mag pet Sorc Argonian, prolific thief, willing participant of the dark arts, gardener of exotic...herbs)
    {Lugdum The Mechanist} (Hybrid Orc Templar, collector of ancient Ayleid smoking pipes)
    {Rantoul} (Dark Elf Magknight, likes an ale between boss fights, has been known to offer daedric princes out in a fist fight)
    {Red, The Wanderer} (Bosmer stam sorc and hunter extraordinaire)
    {Shoots-For-Stars} (Argonian Mag pet Sorc Ice mage Healer)
    *{Jinny the spark }* (Sassy Imperial Stamplar)
    {Crezzi the Drifter} (Magblade khajiit burglar, available for questionable operations)
    {Grif the Despised} (StamKnight Tank Nord, Eastmarch Master Drinker and spinner of tall yarns)
    {Geraldine Stone-Heart} (High Elf MagSorc Ice Tank, Mystic, practitioner of the ancient arts)
    *{Anawinn}* (Stam pet Ward Redguard, Mother to a bear and an unruly Hunger,Librarian, field medic and natures fist)

{*}Mains
    { CP 900+ }

Caretaker of Battle Island (Grand Topal), the holiday destination for the discerning warrior
    Residing in Stay-Moist Mansion-Shadowfen - The Smoking Den (as of 6th feb 2017)

• byrdmanwes
    byrdmanwes
    ✭✭
    Where a lot of the "horror stories" come from are when people who are not ready to do veteran dungeons. People need to start to realize that the reason there are veteran and non veteran dungeons are not to just separate gear and force you to do harder content for your gear, but to teach you mechanics of the fights.

If you don't know the fights in a dungeon consider running the dungeon on normal to understand what's happening.

The other thing that usually frustrates people is when people can not fulfill their role properly. Whether it is queuing for the wrong role or just not understanding their class. Not much is worse than going into a dungeon as a tank and having dps that only drop Valkyn Scoria down to 35% after 5 platforms.
    Breton Templar Healer-AD
    Redgaurd Stamina Sorcerer Tank-AD
    Dark elf Magic Dragonknight DPS-AD
    Imperial Dragon knight Tank-EP
    Nord Blazing Shield Templar-DC
    GT: Mr Byrdman86
    CP: 600
  • LordGavus
    LordGavus
    ✭✭✭✭✭

After all the forum horror stories , I was so scared to click that ready button lol ...

Beware the forum exaggeration :p
    Good that you tried it. I use the group finder for the random dailies on all my characters and more often then not the group is fine. Ranging from fun and open players that work through the tough bosses to seasoned veterans that plough through without much of a word. And all between.
    In my experience it's rare to get an abusive 'elite' player, but it does happen.
    It's more common I'll have to carry players or explain each fight. Most people are cool so I don't mind.
  • raglau
    raglau
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm in a guild but I like running the Finder, when it works, as I get to play with new people. Most people in this game - certainly on PC-EU - are decent and also well skilled. I never mind helping other players new or old; I met someone last night who needed to do pledges which I'd already done, but he needed a tank so I ran them all again, didn't mind because he was a nice person to run content with and part of playing an MMO is the social aspect, not just running pledges by rote as fast as possible.

The ones I can't be bothered with are not people who are low level or 'bad', we all learn somewhere, but ones who won't listen and just drag the group into a mess because of it. I just left a dungeon because of this. The tank had no taunt, everyone dying over and over, boss not held in position so no DPS being done, not listening to mechanics or even acknowledging chat. In this case he was low level, but those people can appear at any level. But they are a tiny minority of twits IME, the vast majority are good gamers.

Edited by raglau on February 28, 2017 2:31PM
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

People don't come here to complain after nice or smooth runs :)

And no not all runs succeeds, that is no catastrophe either.
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • akl77
    akl77
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, pug group takes forever, coa2 takes over 1 hour just now, and I had to leave at the last boss, cos disagreement over scroll or not, whilest dps clearly lacks and tank doesn't know what he's doing.
    Pc na
  • vyndral13preub18_ESO
    vyndral13preub18_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

The down side of the forums. Everyone has a horror story or 10. And we like to share because misery loves company! But i would always encourage someone to atleast try to group finder. Go in with an open mind and a little knowledge about the role you have selected and things should go fine.

And when it doesnt, dont get your panties in a bunch. Give it a good try and if it isnt going anywhere, cut bait and move on. Not every group can get through every dungeon.
  • kylewwefan
    kylewwefan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    With the exception of DLC dungeons Group finder works great for normals. It's always a crapshoot for Vet. If you know it's a hard dungeon and the group is low CP, I just drop. Or if it takes awhile to clear adds.
  • Keep_Door
    Keep_Door
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have only ever used the group finder i have never really had a bad experience, a few times people have dropped but thats about it.

I even did vet CoS at cp170 i just needed the helm and i got it. Maybe i got lucky with a really good group.
  • Skinzz
    Skinzz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wait until you do over 500 dungeons.. you're gonna want to complete it as fast as possible.
    Anybody got a group? LFG, anybody? Hello?
  • SaRuZ
    SaRuZ
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I always roll with PUGs for normal dungeons, when you reach a high enough level you can solo most of them.

I rarely have issues unless some dude goes off his rocker. Sometimes DPS just aren't outputting enough or someone runs out of food or everyone gets careless and we whipe. It happens.

I've had some really ****y people as well. Usually mid range CP guys that think they're awesome. Had a 350 Stamblade rage at our healer for not keeping him alive when he kept standing in red. I told him to stfu and that he sucks, other DPS, poor guy, thought I was talking to him so he apologized and left. Ultimately Healer and I left the group and the guy messaged me calling me a rage quitting nancy. I don't play with silly clowns that rage and try to strategize in normal dungeons :smile:
    Edited by SaRuZ on February 28, 2017 1:15PM
  • Jemcrystal
    Jemcrystal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I tried the group finder when I first joined this game because I was going to level up as healer. I have always played healer in mmo's and been told how good I was at it. But I read all the horror stories about verbal abuse and kicking and decided my nerves would not be able to handle it if I ran into it myself. I don't like bullies. I did not join a game to be trolled. So long as kick is in place as a dynamic of dungeon party play I will not participate.
  • Seraphayel
    Seraphayel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wish my dungeon runs would be like yours. I mostly have level 50 players with several hundreds of CP in my group. Mostly they don't care for you as a lower level toon, they rush through the dungeon, sometimes tank / healer don't even tank or heal, they just queued for it and don't care for the rest of the group. Happened to me yesterday again. Really frustrating. I really don't like to do dungeons with level 50 players as a low level toon. I'd prefer getting thrown into groups with players < 50.
    PS5
    EU
    Aldmeri Dominion
    - Khajiit Arcanist -
  • DocFrost72
    DocFrost72
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Group finder has made me a few friends, actually. Glad to hear you had fun! And protip: never Q for a vet dungeon on the group finder alone. Bring a buddy you feel you can duo with :)
  • ZOS_JohanaB
    ZOS_JohanaB
    ✭✭✭✭
    We've moved this thread to Dungeons, Trials & Arenas
    Staff Post
  • srfrogg23
    srfrogg23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    So I finally did a dungeon with a group and using the group finder tool . It was normal mode Banished Cells and everyone was new and very nice . We completed it no problem and I was actually impressed with the how fun it was . No one minded waiting for each other and listening to stuff and exploring . Just a bunch of cool players all helping each other to learn and complete it . It was really fast too . I'm sure the veteran ones take more time and skill but I didn't want to que for those till I L2P in normal mode ones first . Three years and I just learned you get a skill point for them lol .

Anyways , no drama or weird stories and the group tool worked perfectly . Thinking of doing all of them this way cause I had so much fun . :smile:

That's good to hear because that was my experience with normal dungeons, for the most part, too. This is as it should be.

It has also been my experience that normals can sometimes be a bit slower than Vet dungeons because of exactly what you are describing. Normals tend to be taken at a more relaxed pace because people are usually new, or leveling alts, and they're doing the dungeon quest or are just exploring the content to get a feel for grouping in ESO.

-Normal = Practice Mode: learning the mechanics and dynamics

When you get into Vet dungeons, attitudes will change quite a bit. There is an unspoken expectation that the people you group with have experimented with/practiced their builds and learned the mechanics in normal mode.

-Vet Dungeons = Down to business Gear Grinding

You've seen the content, learned the mechanics, and understand group roles and dynamics. People who don't grasp those concepts tend to be the ones responsible, in some way, for the horror stories that you hear about dungeon groups.
  • mewcatus
    mewcatus
    ✭✭✭
    It isn't as scary as you think. I did most of my pledges via dungeon finder, and it has been a pretty good experience overall.
    Edited by mewcatus on March 1, 2017 7:19AM
  • BuffyLynn
    BuffyLynn
    I tried the dungeon finder for the first time today. I'm only level 19 and still learning a lot. I've only been playing the game itself for maybe a few weeks. I figured it was a good place to start and gain some experience.

First group and dungeon was good. Second time I got kicked out of my group. :( Now I'm unsure if I should even bother with more dungeons if I'm just going to get kicked out of a group because I'm totally new.

Is there a thread somewhere for complete newbs regarding dungeons and how they work? Thanks in advance!
  • pizzaow
    pizzaow
    ✭✭✭
    The wait to get a group was long . I was wondering if anyone even ques normal mode after awhile . I can see where that causes issues after a long time passes and not enough time is left for someone to do the dungeon . I just made sure to commit once I was in .
    The queue is usually instant for a healer, near instant for a tank, and long for a DPS. This is true for both normal and vet.

XBox/NA GT: Pizzaow
  • pizzaow
    pizzaow
    ✭✭✭
    BuffyLynn wrote: »
    I tried the dungeon finder for the first time today. I'm only level 19 and still learning a lot. I've only been playing the game itself for maybe a few weeks. I figured it was a good place to start and gain some experience.

First group and dungeon was good. Second time I got kicked out of my group. :( Now I'm unsure if I should even bother with more dungeons if I'm just going to get kicked out of a group because I'm totally new.

Is there a thread somewhere for complete newbs regarding dungeons and how they work? Thanks in advance!
    Keep trying group finder; you should have more positive experiences than negative ones. Here is a thread which outlines the mechanics for most dungeons. Additionally, I'd recommend going into group chat (even if you don't have a mic). It's much easier to explain mechanics to people if you can speak with them, rather than trying to type it in chat. Once you're in chat, just say "hi, this is my first time in here, so please let me know if there's something I should know about".
    Have fun, and don't be afraid
    XBox/NA GT: Pizzaow
  • Trihugger
    Trihugger
    ✭✭✭
    I know I'm not bothering with using the PoS PF until they fix the lengthy list of issues introduced with Homestead. I doubt I'm alone so that could easily contribute to your non-existent queues. A buddy of mine also running a healer hasn't had luck lately with normal dungeons popping either for what it's worth.
  • s7732425ub17_ESO
    s7732425ub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    All normal dungeons can be soloed. So you shouldn't really ever have a bad time with a pug normal dungeon group. They are easy enough that the worst of players can complete them.

Vet dungeons, on the other hand, are muuuch more difficult. So if you get one or two bad players in your group, yea, well, it's going to be rough.
  • TeamGizzy
    TeamGizzy
    ✭✭✭
    After barely dabbling in dungeons since launch.. I've spent the last few weeks diving in them. Nothing but group finder and have had nothing but success. Barring a few cases where I was obviously a little lower leveled and out of my league
    Baskin Robins always finds out.....
  • Dantaria
    Dantaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    BuffyLynn wrote: »

Which dungeon was it?

It frustrates me to no end that the game is absolutely silent about dungeons difficulty. And just opens freaking II dungs for lowlies without any warning. Fungal Grotto I on lvl 19? Totally cool, enjoy it! Fungal Grotto II on lvl 19? You totally can be kicked just because... If there is no badass DPS, there literally is a chance that the group won't finish it.

So if you were kicked from II dung or DLC one (Imperial City Prison, White Gold Tower, Ruins of Mazzatun, Cradle of Shadows) do not take it personally. It's not you, it's the system. You honestly shouldn't be there on lvl 19.
    English isn't my native, apologies for any mistakes.
  • Excabor
    Excabor
    ✭✭
    My experience with the GF so far has been nothing but positive. Completed many Vet dungeons that way.