The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Mag sorcs

Vanzeii
Vanzeii
✭✭
In pvp should I be wearing heavy or light armor for the sorcs and should I use destro staff or sword and board?
Xbox-NA [Il Halo lI]
Characters
jxjx- dunmer dragon knight lvl 50
sexiperson- breton templar lvl 50
vextrax- nord nightblade lvl 29
tehsorc- high elf sorc lvl 50
Trying to get recognized for being the worst PvPer on xbox.
  • ZOS_Bill
    ZOS_Bill
    admin
    We have moved your thread to the PvP Combat & Skills forum.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
  • Minalan
    Minalan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    It depends on what you want to do.

I've played with heavy armor sorcs with resto up front and ice staff on the back bar for PVP frost block tanking. This guy had a weird build and was soloing bosses in IC, and tanking eight different enemies.

I've played with some group focused heavy armor vicious death sorcs that are pretty lethal with fire destro ults and encase.

Most solo sorcs wear light armor, use a fire Destro staff, and a restoration staff for healing ward. Some use dual wield for the damage bonus, I've seen only a few use sword and board because it doesn't synergize well with a magicka build.
  • Micah_Bayer
    Micah_Bayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Destro staff and light armour, stack magicka and spell dmg, get all three shields, hardened ward, healing ward, and harness. Best magicka sorc setup.
  • aLi3nZ
    aLi3nZ
    ✭✭✭✭
    Use a wand Harry!
  • Vanzeii
    Vanzeii
    ✭✭
    aLi3nZ wrote: »
    Use a wand Harry!

I'm a wizard!?
    Xbox-NA [Il Halo lI]
    Characters
  • FriedEggSandwich
    FriedEggSandwich
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can mix and match. I wear 2 heavy and 5 light in pvp. I find it a nice balance between survivability and damage. The sorc skill boundless storm grants an extra 5k resistances, and a defending resto another 5k resistances. On my back bar I have 21-23k resistances and I'm still in 5 light :)

Personally I find 7 light leaves me too squishy when ward inevitably goes down, I like a bit of time to react lol. At the end of the day you will get a lot of differing responses to this, so try experimenting with both. You don't have to gold out armour for it to be viable. If you find you can survive to your liking in 7 light then that will grant you the most damage, but you don't have to lose much damage if you want to tank up a bit.

Edit: defo destro/resto; light heavy attacks from fire staff add pressure to your opponent and resto staff will fill your magicka pool in a few heavy attacks. Imo you compromise too much if you use melee weapons.
    Edited by FriedEggSandwich on March 1, 2017 2:44AM
    PC | EU
  • Vanzeii
    Vanzeii
    ✭✭
    You can mix and match. I wear 2 heavy and 5 light in pvp. I find it a nice balance between survivability and damage. The sorc skill boundless storm grants an extra 5k resistances, and a defending resto another 5k resistances. On my back bar I have 21-23k resistances and I'm still in 5 light :)

Personally I find 7 light leaves me too squishy when ward inevitably goes down, I like a bit of time to react lol. At the end of the day you will get a lot of differing responses to this, so try experimenting with both. You don't have to gold out armour for it to be viable. If you find you can survive to your liking in 7 light then that will grant you the most damage, but you don't have to lose much damage if you want to tank up a bit.

Edit: defo destro/resto; light heavy attacks from fire staff add pressure to your opponent and resto staff will fill your magicka pool in a few heavy attacks. Imo you compromise too much if you use melee weapons.

I was able to get a decent setup now I just need to get my resto skill line up and get a few skill points since its sort of a new character. I'm retiring my dk to do farming.
    Xbox-NA [Il Halo lI]
    Characters
  • Derra
    Derra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you find you can survive to your liking in 7 light then that will grant you the most damage, but you don't have to lose much damage if you want to tank up a bit.

The most dmg will be in 5 1 1.

7 light gives you the best sustain (and highest shields if dampen magica is used).
    <Noricum>
    I live. I die. I live again.

Derra - DC - Sorc - AvA 50
    Derrah - EP - Sorc - AvA 50

• Biro123
    Biro123
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Its rare to see 5 heavy on magsorcs in pvp (at all). In some ways it doesn't synergise well (although I have been experimenting):
    - With shields up, you're not using the armour resistances
    - Casting at range (as you mostly want to) - often means not getting hit - and not proccing constitution
    - losing the penetration and crit that light armour gives makes your burst much less threatening
    - losing the cost reduction/recov that light gives hurts your sustain a lot (asp when const isn't proccing)

But it does have other benefits:
    - Magsorcs are often stam-starved. When under attack, constitution gives you stam when you need it.
    - Protection vs ganks and more survivability when shields are down
    - Don't need to have shields constantly up.
    - Combined with resto heavy attacks, you get a LOT of magicka back
    - Dark exchange works well with it

And some odd ones that feel like they should be benefits... but kind of aren't.. eg if you're looking for more survivability so you don't need to shield-spam so much.. Combined with pets - you can get a lot of health and a strong burst heal - and potentially a lot of health regen (look at the passives).. But to keep the pet alive, you need to keep hardened up - which generally means you don't need a ton of health/burst-heal and heavy-armour resists...

Edited by Biro123 on March 1, 2017 10:14AM
    Minalan owes me a beer.

PC EU Megaserver
    Minie Mo - Stam/Magblade - DC
    Woody Ron - Stamplar - DC
    Aidee - Magsorc - DC
    Notadorf - Stamsorc - DC
    Khattman Doo - Stamblade - Relegated to Crafter, cos AD.
  • Glamdring
    Glamdring
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorcs is the easy mode class, you can use whatever you want.
  • Vaoh
    Vaoh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Glamdring wrote: »

I could say this for any class. Also I'd argue that Sorcs are the most restrictive class.

Look at the skill bars of any decent Magicka Sorc for PvP, and most all (if not all) of their skills will be the same.

Look at the skill bars of any endgame Magicka Sorc for PvE, and there are about two setups to be used (pet or non-pet).

Magicka Sorcs also get utterly slaughtered if their shields aren't reapplied every 5-6sec.

Not saying they are weak by any means, but viable Mag Sorc builds are funneled into very generic setups both skill-wise and gear-wise these days.

Edited by Vaoh on March 1, 2017 11:15AM
  • FriedEggSandwich
    FriedEggSandwich
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Derra wrote: »
    If you find you can survive to your liking in 7 light then that will grant you the most damage, but you don't have to lose much damage if you want to tank up a bit.

The most dmg will be in 5 1 1.

7 light gives you the best sustain (and highest shields if dampen magica is used).

Well yes, I suppose so. I was just thinking between heavy and light, hadn't considered mettle. Light will give more spell pen.
    PC | EU
  • HoloYoitsu
    HoloYoitsu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    1kl9tf.jpg
  • Minalan
    Minalan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Biro123 wrote: »
    Its rare to see 5 heavy on magsorcs in pvp (at all). In some ways it doesn't synergise well (although I have been experimenting):
    - With shields up, you're not using the armour resistances
    - Casting at range (as you mostly want to) - often means not getting hit - and not proccing constitution
    - losing the penetration and crit that light armour gives makes your burst much less threatening
    - losing the cost reduction/recov that light gives hurts your sustain a lot (asp when const isn't proccing)

But it does have other benefits:
    - Magsorcs are often stam-starved. When under attack, constitution gives you stam when you need it.
    - Protection vs ganks and more survivability when shields are down
    - Don't need to have shields constantly up.
    - Combined with resto heavy attacks, you get a LOT of magicka back
    - Dark exchange works well with it

And some odd ones that feel like they should be benefits... but kind of aren't.. eg if you're looking for more survivability so you don't need to shield-spam so much.. Combined with pets - you can get a lot of health and a strong burst heal - and potentially a lot of health regen (look at the passives).. But to keep the pet alive, you need to keep hardened up - which generally means you don't need a ton of health/burst-heal and heavy-armour resists..

Heavy armor sorcs are for big 'stack on crown!' group play. Slot VD set and jewelry, heavy armor, Destro staff, stack on crown, then hit the Destro ult, proxy det, and spam encase when the group lead calls for coordinated ults. You wipe so many people with that it's not funny, and your screen fills with dead potato AP.

That's ridiculously effective at taking objectives, but not very fun gameplay.
  • Strider_Roshin
    Strider_Roshin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    HoloYoitsu wrote: »
    1kl9tf.jpg

Lol except they do. Magsorcs have gone full toddler mode when it comes to difficulty.
  • Calboy
    Calboy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Double Destro (fire and shock) with pets. Dooooo iiitttt.