The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

PTS Feedback Thread for Templar Balance Improvements

ZOS_GinaBruno
ZOS_GinaBruno
Community Manager
This is the official feedback thread for the Templar for Update 13. Please let us know how you feel about the changes we made to this class, if you ran into any bugs, and any other feedback you'd like to give.
Gina Bruno
Senior Community Manager
Dev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter | My Twitter
Staff Post
  • mdylan2013
    mdylan2013
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Obviously haven't had the chance to test it yet...

but why on earth would you want to get rid of our one and only decent stun?

The nerf to radiant I can understand... but who thought it would be a good idea to give us no reliable stun?
    Edited by mdylan2013 on January 4, 2017 7:50PM
    PS4/EU
    CP-1300+
    PSN - LookoutLuke
    15 Max level toons
    PVE/PVP
  • React
    React
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Alcast and many others have voiced opinions about how poorly stamplar performs right now. They lack sustain, they lack useful self buffs, they lack useful passives, and my personal largest concern is that they lack stamina dps morphs.

Templars need dps skills that scale off of stam and WD/ deals physical. Blazing spear and luminous shards are both perfect candidates for this. EDIT: Aso one of the posters below stated, another great option for a stam morph is explosive charge. It is completely unused and would allow stamplars to run a gap closer on a DW bar (DW generally necessary for jab damage currentley). This would simplify rotation by removing a barswap, which appears to be one of the goals with the balance changes according the the balance direction post.

Templars lack any passives useful to stamina, aside from the 4% general cost reduction and %6 damage. We need better passives! Stamplar passives are out performed by the passives of every other class, undoubtedly.

Templars major ward/resolve buff, rune focus, is a ground based buff.
    You need to stand in it every 8 seconds to get the buff. This restricts movement severely which is vital to stamplars, especially in pvp. The morph "restoring focus" could be modified to be a self buff, making it far more viable, OR it could be modified to restore stamina, similar to how the other morph restores magicka.

Biting jabs is VERY inaccurate against moving targets (specifically players in pvp), and the cost MUST BE reduced so that it is on par with other stam dps skills (surprise attack, flurry). Sustain is near impossible when your spammable abillity hits ~50% of the time, if you're lucky, and costs 2x as much as the other spammable ability's utilized by other stam DPS classes.

@ZOS_GinaBruno if you look at the other stamplar feedback threads or the trial leaders boards, you'll notice that many trial guilds DO NOT ALLOW stamplars into their groups. This is because stamplars are currently INCAPABLE of keeping up DPS or providing unique utillity/debuffs like the other stam classes can. They need a serious rework.
    Edited by React on January 13, 2017 4:41AM
    @ReactSlower - PC/NA - 2000+ CP
    React Faster - XB/NA - 1500+ CP
    Content
    Twitch.tv/reactfaster
    Youtube.com/@ReactFaster
  • ManDraKE
    ManDraKE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stamplar is hands down the worst performing stamina class in PvE, and probably PvP also. The main problem is the lack of sustain outside repetence, boss fights in trials usually are single target for long periods of time so you don't have any bodies to drain stam, and probably the healers are already using repetence so is a waste of slot. My suggestions are:

- Reduce the cost of jabs: is 2x times more expensive than flurry or surprise attack, it strains the stamina pool really hard.

- Add more stamina sustain options: repetence is not enought and is situational. Need another way of sustain, a stam morph of rune focus or change some passives to benefit stamplars stam sustain.

- More useful ultimates: all templar ultimates are useless for a stamplar, we need something. Maybe a stam morph of cresent sweep.

- Stamina morph of Focused Charge: if you want your jabs to have decent damage on PvP you need to use DW. That forces you to run 2h with crit rush in back bar to have a stam-based gap-closer. The Explosive Charge morph is barely used at all, make it the stam equivalent of Toppling Charge.

- Reduce the cost of Piercing Javelin: there is no reason why this skill is so damn expensive.
    Edited by ManDraKE on January 4, 2017 8:02PM
  • WizardEyes
    WizardEyes
    Soul Shriven
    ^yeah, what they said!!
    Edited by WizardEyes on January 4, 2017 8:00PM
  • danno8
    danno8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Quick update.

The magicka steal is capped at 400 per second no matter how many enemies have the debuff on them. Also you need to be hitting the enemy with damage (Dot's also work) so it's not just a per second defacto infusion of magicka.

So you can debuff 10 enemies with the skill, and AoE them like mad, but it will still be only maximum of 400/s.

Also will work with your "allies", so I assume they mean people in your group.

edit: still is pretty nice, can go with Restoring Focus instead of Channeled Focus as long as you keep some damage on the enemy at all times.
    Edited by danno8 on January 4, 2017 8:10PM
  • skwherl
    skwherl
    ✭✭✭
    Do not remove the cc from blazing spear. There is nothing wrong with it.
    Squirrel
  • technohic
    technohic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    c3fdb992d9d0cc3389f27c28ba14c03cc77a0718e179326b329cd4493ef7c3a9.jpg
  • jeffm47
    jeffm47
    ✭✭
    the spear stun nerf is really disappointing, radiant really did need a nerf but i dnt think damage was it, i feel like a decrease in range would have been more useful.
  • Trottz
    Trottz
    ✭✭✭
    mdylan2013 wrote: »

but why on earth would you want to get rid of our one and only decent stun?

Trist'is and Krahl, a.D.

“Show me a mortal who is not pursued, and I’ll show you a corpse. Every hunter is hunted, every mind that knows itself has stalkers. We drive and are driven. The unknown pursues the ignorant, the truth assails every scholar wise enough to know his ignorance, for that is the meaning of unknowable truths.”
  • usmcjdking
    usmcjdking
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you for making this thread Gina.

Stamina Templar is so far in the gutter right now in terms of balance that they need something dramatic. This class has been bottom for the barrel for over a year, and has gotten to a point where we are not only no longer desired in PVE or PVP raids, we simply are not even invited.

While the Backlash buff is certainly nice for Stamplars, unless the tooltip damage on an unbuffed stamplar is like 10k - it's simply not enough to afford Stamplars a spot anywhere.

Please re-evaluate the following skill immediately -

Biting Jabs - DODGEABLE (making this skill the single most frustrating skill in PVP as well as making it the only stamina morph of a skill that does not operate under the same combat conditions as the base skill), good damage spammable that suffers from a long cast time, inability to animation cancel but most importantly offers a redundant buff that is widely available. It's also painfully expensive.
  • technohic
    technohic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    danno8 wrote: »
    Quick update.

The magicka steal is capped at 400 per second no matter how many enemies have the debuff on them. Also you need to be hitting the enemy with damage (Dot's also work) so it's not just a per second defacto infusion of magicka.

So you can debuff 10 enemies with the skill, and AoE them like mad, but it will still be only maximum of 400/s.

edit: still is pretty nice, can go with Restoring Focus instead of Channeled Focus as long as you keep some damage on the enemy at all times.

Does it still provide the resource regens on activation or does it only do magicka steal now?
  • danno8
    danno8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    technohic wrote: »
    Quick update.

Does it still provide the resource regens on activation or does it only do magicka steal now?

The 20% additional regens are gone.

The cost on my character is 2565 magicka, with no reduction jewelry. I have 100 in CP cost reduction. Basically you will get the cast amount back in 6 seconds, with 12 more seconds of "free" 400/s magicka regen.

After a 3m fight with a boss in Wayrest my magicka got down to 30% at the end using no potions and around 1200 magicka regen using +health, +magicka, + magicka regen food/drink? (The witches brew food). So without the witches brew I would probably have to use potions, but I was able to switch all my jewelry to spell damage.

edit: I am in heavy currently mind you.
    Edited by danno8 on January 4, 2017 8:35PM
  • technohic
    technohic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    technohic wrote: »
    Quick update.

The 20% additional regens are gone.

The cost on my character is 2565 magicka, with no reduction jewelry. I have 100 in CP cost reduction. Basically you will get the cast amount back in 6 seconds, with 12 more seconds of "free" 400/s magicka regen.

After a 3m fight with a boss in Wayrest my magicka got down to 30% at the end using no potions and around 1200 magicka regen using +health, +magicka, + magicka regen food/drink? (The witches brew food). So without the witches brew I would probably have to use potions, but I was able to switch all my jewelry to spell damage.

That should be quite a boost to damage.
  • usmcjdking
    usmcjdking
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    @Alcast
    @templesus
    @ManDraKE
    @Liam12548
    @Some_Guy
    @Spearblade
    @Zinaroth
    @WldKarde
    @izzakhalil
    @Vulsin

Just tagged all the Stamplar mains that I can think of. I am requesting two things from you all-

1) Can we all agree that, if anything, Biting Jabs needs to be addressed in some manner before HOMESTEAD hits live?
    2) Can we please pollute this thread with Stamplar's rustled jimmies to ensure we are infact the squeekiest wheel?
  • Twohothardware
    Twohothardware
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You guys should ditch the nerf to damage of Radiant Destruction and only nerf the range or the percentage health at which you can start dealing bonus damage. Magplar needs a strong execute or they can't deal enough burst damage to take out the countless players in heavy armor.
  • Spearblade
    Spearblade
    ✭✭✭
    usmcjdking wrote: »
    @Alcast
    @templesus
    @ManDraKE
    @Liam12548
    @Some_Guy
    @Spearblade
    @Zinaroth
    @WldKarde
    @izzakhalil
    @Vulsin

Just tagged all the Stamplar mains that I can think of. I am requesting two things from you all-

1) Can we all agree that, if anything, Biting Jabs needs to be addressed in some manner before HOMESTEAD hits live?
    2) Can we please pollute this thread with Stamplar's rustled jimmies to ensure we are infact the squeekiest wheel?

A lot more than just Biting Jabs. Passives are mostly garbage, ultimates are nearly useless, Rune Focus limits mobility, both gap closers are oddly magicka, Power of the Light sucks, Repentance is only useful if you're the only templar in group/nearby...

Just...bah.
  • Lord_Eomer
    Lord_Eomer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Magplar are dead in PVP comparing currently

You intentionaly wanted for magicka this class to be healer only!
    Edited by Lord_Eomer on January 4, 2017 8:47PM
  • Spearblade
    Spearblade
    ✭✭✭
    Liam12548 wrote: »
    @Alcast and many others have voiced opinions about how poorly stamplar performs right now. They lack regeneration, they lack useful self buffs, they lack useful passives, and my personal largest concern is that they lack stamina dps morphs.

Templars need an AoE dps that scales off of stam and WD/ deals physical. Blazing spear and luminous shards are both perfect candidates for this. EDIT: Aso one of the posters below stated, another great option for a stam morph is explosive charge. It is completely unused and would allow stamplars to run a gap closers on their DW bars, which would alleviate alot of dps issues in pvp.

Templars lack any passives useful to stamina, aside from the 4% general cost reduction and %6 damage. We need better passives!

Templars major ward/resolve buff, r7ne focus, is a ground based buff.
    You need to stand in it every 8 seconds to get the buff. This restricts movement severely which is vital to stamplars, especially in pvp.

Biting jabs is VERY innacurate against moving targets (specifically players in pvp), and the cost MUST BE reduced so that it is on part with other stam dps skills (surprise attack, flurry).

@ZOS_GinaBruno if you look at the other stamplar feedback threads or the trial leaders boards, you'll notice that many trial guilds DO NOT ALLOW stamplars into their groups. This is because stamplars are currently INCAPABLE of keeping up DPS like the other stam classes can. They need a serious rework.

Another valid option for Stamplar aoe could be the other morph of Dark Flare...You know that melee range aoe pulse thing that nobody uses? That thing.
    Edited by Spearblade on January 4, 2017 8:49PM
  • Brrrofski
    Brrrofski
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    jeffm47 wrote: »
    the spear stun nerf is really disappointing, radiant really did need a nerf but i dnt think damage was it, i feel like a decrease in range would have been more useful.

Range is radiants issue. In PvP people just stand at the back with it on you constantly waiting for you to hit 30% then instant melt. If you want to execute me, be in the fight with me.

Range is the big issue!
  • Jaronking
    Jaronking
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    1.Please add the stun back to Blazing spear
    2.Give Stamplars sustain please its just ridiculous give us something similar to channel focus where we get stam back while in our runs.
    3.Reduce the cost of Bitting jabs be a crap ton and make it undodgable.Also make Jabs deal more damage.
    4.Make Explosive charge a stam gap closer

Doing this will really help Stamplars.
  • usmcjdking
    usmcjdking
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Brrrofski wrote: »
    jeffm47 wrote: »

Range is radiants issue. In PvP people just stand at the back with it on you constantly waiting for you to hit 30% then instant melt. If you want to execute me, be in the fight with me.

Range is the big issue!

Range & the Undodgeable, Uninterruptible, Instant initial tick of damage.
  • evedgebah
    evedgebah
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you for the official feedback thread.

I can second the sentiments that Stamina based Templars are severely lacking in support compared to other class changes. A morph to Toppling charge and/or Spear Shards would be the most directly logical interventions. The AOE morph of Dark Flare would also be a possible candidate, as that morph is rarely used as far as most people I've encountered from new players to old veterans. An adjustment to Radiant Aura's new Magickasteal mechanic to provide a "Stamina Steal" effect would also potentially be useful and provide an interesting alternative to Repentance (and one more useful in most PVP situations where dead bodies rarely linger long enough to benefit this skill.

Radiant Destruction was very powerful. The 21% decrease feels quite inelegant a solution though. If the issue was its power in PVP, then a range adjustment seems like a much better solution. If you have to be much closer to a templar to get "beamed", then it's far easier to bash or interrupt the channel. to a power decrease. It would also counter the ability of templars to stack stats for damage and "hide" up on walls or terrain features and "beam" from safety. However, if the primary concern was PVE effectiveness, then I would concede that an adjustment to the total damage would be warranted. I understand that doing nearly 40% (on average) of many high-end DPS parses is quite high, as is the ability to start using it from 40% boss HP. However, if the goal is making that 40% (either or both of total damage contribution or execute start %) number lower, then perhaps adjusting the damage scaling to kick at a lower percentage would be a better stratagem? I'll be calculating the total effective decrease in coming days thanks to the amazing test dummies that I am eagerly anticipating trying.
  • Nifty2g
    Nifty2g
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Luminous shard is utterly useless and the return is so low on magicka, you should rework it to be a damage over time for stamplar, it sounds like something that can be a good and unique effect.

remove the stupid cap from backlash and just rework the skill, this doesnt work in this game. Anything that can't have the ability to crit is crap and will always be crap no matter what you do to it. Since it lasts 6 seconds we should give it some group utility so that skill actually gets used and makes the need for a stamplar some what important to have in a pve raid.

- purifying light should give a magic damage boost to your attacks by 10% while it is active on a target to yourself and your group

- power of the light should give a physical damage boost to your attacks by 10% while it is active on a target to yourself and your group
    Edited by Nifty2g on January 4, 2017 8:53PM
    #MOREORBS
  • Brrrofski
    Brrrofski
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    And yeh, stamplar is unplayable in PvP. Bad sustain means no heavy which means too much incoming damage. Stamblades, spinners, sprigans, proc sets... Medium is a death sentence right now.

Bad sustain, bad passives, lack of skill options and builds. Stamplar in PvP in a word.... Pointless.
    Edited by Brrrofski on January 4, 2017 8:50PM
  • Drdeath20
    Drdeath20
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bitting jabs is too expensive and the snare should apply on the first hit.

Blazing spear is now useless. It was never used for the dot. Take away the stun and it looks like shards is the better option, if your running in a group. Both unusable for solo play.

Solar barrage needs to be rethought out

Explosive charge needs to be stamina class gap closer.

Both javelins are too expensive.

Seeing as how radiant ward only last 6 seconds it should scale off of our highest attribute pool. Finally give us a real class shield.

Horrible templar passives like spear wall and light weaver.

Horrible or redundant ultimates. Remembrance and practiced incarnation literally do the exact same thing. Both are fairly useless because reviving barrier is just as good and offers something just for slotting it.

Stamplars need a ultimate.

Reflective light needs to be rethought out. That skill is useless.

Soo templars are still bad dps, have horrible crowd control, bad rotation, no mobility, no ability to animation cancellation and still have useless and redundant skills.
    Edited by Drdeath20 on January 4, 2017 9:06PM
  • Nifty2g
    Nifty2g
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Drdeath20 wrote: »
    Reflective light is great :open_mouth:
    #MOREORBS
  • a1i3nz
    a1i3nz
    ✭✭✭✭
    Don't remove the cc from blazing spear. It's our only effective stun aside from top charge which only works half the time.

Instead of nerfing the damage of radiant just reduce the distance. I'm more than confidant most people can agree to that.

Give stamplar more utility and cost reduction for jabs. Also maybe make some of the passive viable because as of now there's pretty much 1 skill line for them and they're only playable in heavy.
  • Jaronking
    Jaronking
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't remove the cc from blazing spear. It's our only effective stun aside from top charge which only works half the time.

Instead of nerfing the damage of radiant just reduce the distance. I'm more than confidant most people can agree to that.

Give stamplar more utility and cost reduction for jabs. Also maybe make some of the passive viable because as of now there's pretty much 1 skill line for them and they're only playable in heavy.
    They should reduce the range and the keep the 21% damage nerf to Radiant you will still do great damage in PVE,it just balance the skill in PVP more.
  • Ron_Burgundy_79
    Ron_Burgundy_79
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jaronking wrote: »

They should reduce the range and the keep the 21% damage nerf to Radiant you will still do great damage in PVE,it just balance the skill in PVP more.

Get out of here with those horrible opinions, proccblade. :)

• Drdeath20
    Drdeath20
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nifty2g wrote: »
    Drdeath20 wrote: »
    Reflective light is great :open_mouth:

How so?