The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Changes to Craft Writs?

Amorpho
Amorpho
✭✭✭✭
So, I noticed a few differences: On the positive side, the fact that surveys provide more mats. I also like the thought of having to go back to Belkarth (rather than Wrothgar) to hand in the writs. However, I am disappointed that the surveys given still send me to Orsinium (I'd rather farm in Craglorn). But the annoying thing is that the famous crates that were supposed to give you back mats (if the writ reward didn't include a survey) do not scale with your crafting skill level! Who cares about calcinium ingots and hides! Is this a mistake or is this what it is meant to be??? I really hope this is wrong!
The Gaming Rev
YouTube channel - https://youtube.com/c/TheGamingRev

Characters

PVE
Magicka Sorcerer, Altmer - Master Crafter
Magicka Templar, Altmer
Magicka Nightblade, Breton
Stamina Nightblade, Khajiit

PVP
Magicka Sorcerer, Altmer
Magicka Templar, Altmer
Stamina Templar, Orsimer
Stamina Dragonknight, Dunmer
Stamina Warden, Orsimer

Aldmeri Dominion - 1700+ CP

XboxOne EU
  • ZOS_PeterT
    ZOS_PeterT
    ✭✭✭
    We have moved this discussion to: Crafting
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios

Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site

Staff Post
  • Amorpho
    Amorpho
    ✭✭✭✭
    Amorpho wrote: »
    So, I noticed a few differences: On the positive side, the fact that surveys provide more mats. I also like the thought of having to go back to Belkarth (rather than Wrothgar) to hand in the writs. However, I am disappointed that the surveys given still send me to Orsinium (I'd rather farm in Craglorn). But the annoying thing is that the famous crates that were supposed to give you back mats (if the writ reward didn't include a survey) do not scale with your crafting skill level! Who cares about calcinium ingots and hides! Is this a mistake or is this what it is meant to be??? I really hope this is wrong!

I must also add that the droprate for surveys is ridiculous, especially when the mats crates provided instead do not scale to your crafting level!
    The Gaming Rev

Characters

PVE
    Magicka Templar, Altmer

PVP
    Magicka Sorcerer, Altmer
    Magicka Templar, Altmer
    Stamina Templar, Orsimer
    Stamina Warden, Orsimer

XboxOne EU
  • Tyrion87
    Tyrion87
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I'm pretty sure this shipment of lower level mats is intended... I am pissed too since now crafting writs seem to be less profitable for me than they used to. I also noticed that they provide less gold improvement mats than before. That's why I plan to stop doing writs completely as they are not worth my time and mats :(
  • Amorpho
    Amorpho
    ✭✭✭✭
    Tyrion87 wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure this shipment of lower level mats is intended... I am pissed too since now crafting writs seem to be less profitable for me than they used to. I also noticed that they provide less gold improvement mats than before. That's why I plan to stop doing writs completely as they are not worth my time and mats :(

Yes, I noticed the reduced gold too. If this is the case, I will abandon crafting writs too until at least the mats crates scale up. There is absolutely no point. I'd rather farm mats in Craglorn on my own.
    The Gaming Rev

Characters

PVE
    Magicka Templar, Altmer

PVP
    Magicka Sorcerer, Altmer
    Magicka Templar, Altmer
    Stamina Templar, Orsimer
    Stamina Warden, Orsimer

XboxOne EU
  • STEVIL
    STEVIL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

I must also add that the droprate for surveys is ridiculous, especially when the mats crates provided instead do not scale to your crafting level!

A few quite loud folks complained a lot about not being able to easily find lower level mats on their master crafters - when they used those master master to go out and harvest.

So ZOS reduced survey rate, doubled survey yield (net wash) and then ADDED crates of lower tier mats for every non-survey box.

Thats how sausage is made, folks.

but keep in mind, for those of you without craft bags, many of those asking for it, the master master crafters... do have them and so their inventory slots are not being used by lower tier mats.

Proudly skooma free while talks-when-drunk is in mandatory public housing.
    YFMV Your Fun May Vary.

First Law of Nerf-o-Dynamics
    "The good way I used to get good kills *with good skill* was good but the way others kill me now is bad."

• Hawco10
    Hawco10
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just done the crafting writs in Craglon since one tamriel launch (console) max crafting skills and I got voidstone ignots and ironhide. Just wasted a bunch of rubedite and silk for nothing.
    Not doing writs again if this is how it's going to be. Quite simple-no return.
  • Amorpho
    Amorpho
    ✭✭✭✭
    STEVIL wrote: »

A few quite loud folks complained a lot about not being able to easily find lower level mats on their master crafters - when they used those master master to go out and harvest.

So ZOS reduced survey rate, doubled survey yield (net wash) and then ADDED crates of lower tier mats for every non-survey box.

but keep in mind, for those of you without craft bags, many of those asking for it, the master master crafters... do have them and so their inventory slots are not being used by lower tier mats.

Maybe I am missing something, but this doesn't make sense to me. As a Master Crafter myself, I very seldom needed lower level materials. When I did (say if I needed to craft training gear for levelling up) I would spend 1 hour in the appropriate zone and farm all that I needed. The amount of mats needed to craft lower level materials is just super low. I just can't see why (allegedly) so many people have been whining about it. I'm going to keep a close watch on mats prices (now that they scale up to player level in every zone). If the prices come down there is just no way that I will do the writs, ESPECIALLY if the rate for gold improvement materials comes down as well. I don't have a crafter bag yet, so those low level mats are just a waste of precious inventory space...
    The Gaming Rev

Characters

PVE
    Magicka Templar, Altmer

PVP
    Magicka Sorcerer, Altmer
    Magicka Templar, Altmer
    Stamina Templar, Orsimer
    Stamina Warden, Orsimer

XboxOne EU
  • STEVIL
    STEVIL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Maybe I am missing something, but this doesn't make sense to me. As a Master Crafter myself, I very seldom needed lower level materials. When I did (say if I needed to craft training gear for levelling up) I would spend 1 hour in the appropriate zone and farm all that I needed. The amount of mats needed to craft lower level materials is just super low. I just can't see why (allegedly) so many people have been whining about it. I'm going to keep a close watch on mats prices (now that they scale up to player level in every zone). If the prices come down there is just no way that I will do the writs, ESPECIALLY if the rate for gold improvement materials comes down as well. I don't have a crafter bag yet, so those low level mats are just a waste of precious inventory space...

Well, my counter suggestion had been to remove the lower mat gear restriction, allowing any mat to be used for crafting at its level or below. That way scaled nodes meant you could havrest anything and use it for anything you can craft...unless your craft skill vs char level mismatched then 50/50 etc...

but i stopped doing equip writs a while back, once they shifted to the higher cost to craft them with the higher tier.

my suggestion for equip writs is to have it require one item with specific trait and specific style, but allow extra items to compensate IF you dont have the style or trait or both. that reduces the cost in mats, spreads out the resource across the components and makes it more worthwhile to know more as you do writs.
    YFMV Your Fun May Vary.

"The good way I used to get good kills *with good skill* was good but the way others kill me now is bad."

• SolarCat02
    SolarCat02
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am wondering why the provisioning writs now ask for lower tier recipes? In addition, the vendors no longer seem to sell recipes, either. As a result, I am unable to do the provisioning writs I used to do regularly, because I only have one of the two required recipes and cannot locate the other.
    Why be normal when you can be better?

Elissandra Ravenwing, Magicka Dragonknight Healer
    Lady Kalila, Stamina Templar DPS
    Stands-in-Danger, Nightblade Saptank
    Zalarah, Stamina Dragonknight DPS
  • Beardimus
    Beardimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The reduced tier mats were a response to feedback from crafters that harvesting mats for lower levels (say you support a guild or your Alts) is now impossible. This they put these crates in 25% of the time when u dont get a survey. It's intended.
    Xbox One | EU | EP
    Beardimus : VR16 Dunmer MagSorc [RIP MagDW 2015-2018]
    Emperor of Sotha Sil 02-2018 & Sheogorath 05-2019
    1st Emperor of Ravenwatch
    Alts - - for the Lolz
    Archimus : Bosmer Thief / Archer / Werewolf
    Orcimus : Fat drunk Orc battlefield 1st aider
    Scalimus - Argonian Sorc Healer / Pet master

Fighting small scale with : The SAXON Guild
    Fighting with [PvP] : The Undaunted Wolves
    Trading Guilds : TradersOfNirn | FourSquareTraders

Xbox One | NA | EP
    Bëardimus : L43 Dunmer Magsorc / BG
    Heals-With-Pets : VR16 Argonian Sorc PvP / BG Healer
    Nordimus : VR16 Stamsorc
    Beardimus le 13iem : L30 Dunmer Magsorc Icereach
  • Ilsabet
    Ilsabet
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    As a Master Crafter myself, I very seldom needed lower level materials. When I did (say if I needed to craft training gear for levelling up) I would spend 1 hour in the appropriate zone and farm all that I needed.

That's the thing, you can't do that anymore. You don't have the option to farm lower-level mats on your Master Crafter. There are workarounds, like having farming alts and buying mats from guild stores and making gear recipients farm their own mats to give to you, but the fact remains that your CP160+ Master Crafter physically can't farm anything but T10 mats.

So it's not really whining, people were pointing out that a thing that they were able to do before has now been made impossible to do. ZOS's mediocre "solution" to that was to provide lower-level mats through writ rewards. I don't think anybody prefers that to the old farming system, but it's marginally better than nothing.
    Ilsabet Menard - DC Breton Nightblade archer - Savior of Pretty Much Everything, Grand Overlord & Empress Nubcakes
    Katarin Auclair - DC Breton Warden healer & ice mage
    My characters and their overly elaborate backstories
    Ilsabet's Headcanon
    The Adventures of Torbyrn Windchaser - Breaking the Ice & Ashes to Ashes
    PC NA
  • STEVIL
    STEVIL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Ilsabet wrote: »
    As a Master Crafter myself, I very seldom needed lower level materials. When I did (say if I needed to craft training gear for levelling up) I would spend 1 hour in the appropriate zone and farm all that I needed.

That's the thing, you can't do that anymore. You don't have the option to farm lower-level mats on your Master Crafter. There are workarounds, like having farming alts and buying mats from guild stores and making gear recipients farm their own mats to give to you, but the fact remains that your CP160+ Master Crafter physically can't farm anything but T10 mats.

So it's not really whining, people were pointing out that a thing that they were able to do before has now been made impossible to do. ZOS's mediocre "solution" to that was to provide lower-level mats through writ rewards. I don't think anybody prefers that to the old farming system, but it's marginally better than nothing.

in context, i prefer getting packs in writs to the old farming system of zone locked nodes which really screw over the vast majority of casual players in a non-linear 1T anywhere anytime system. Scaled nodes helps a LOT of people in this new game, just like scaled drops and scaled chests do.

Saying to all them "nah you dont get it so master crafters can farm" that is the context of the repeated "locked zones back please" threads.

Now, as i have said, now that they have done the overhaul of the drop-side of the equation, they need to finish the 1T transition for the crafted side and implement a number of changes such as:
    1. Remove lower tier so any mat can be used to craft lower tier gear (so your master crafter loses no "harvest materials to craft lower tier" at all but you dont get to short supply everyone else.)
    2. Allow levelling up of existing crafted items keeping same quality (keep up with drops scaling)
    3. Allow jewel crafting (since every set drops with jewels now) possibly with limited quality upgrade potential.
    4. Allow at least the ability to at time of craft swap one of the 2-3-4pc bonuses for one of the two others on the set. (keeps up with the sheer number of drop sets variety by allowing customized to small degree the crafteds - reduces need for new sets somewhat, nearly triples the number of unique crafted "sets" and allows you to buff up some of the suckier ones - all in one swell foop.)

Oh and the writ thing.
    YFMV Your Fun May Vary.

• Durnik
    Durnik
    ✭✭✭
    I had my crafting writs set to Craglorn so I could get a chance for Nirn. Now I get sent to other places and rarely get a survey for Craglorn.
  • Stopnaggin
    Stopnaggin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SolarCat02 wrote: »
    I am wondering why the provisioning writs now ask for lower tier recipes? In addition, the vendors no longer seem to sell recipes, either. As a result, I am unable to do the provisioning writs I used to do regularly, because I only have one of the two required recipes and cannot locate the other.

Check guild stores, always recipes on there, very low cost. I still green recipes on a regular basis in containers so they are not hard to find.
  • SolarCat02
    SolarCat02
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stopnaggin wrote: »

Check guild stores, always recipes on there, very low cost. I still green recipes on a regular basis in containers so they are not hard to find.

So far the 20 I checked were only selling the event ones, plus ambrosia. I am still looking, but I have been trying to get 100% of the recipes for months and I haven't found a new one since August, so I guess on Xbox people aren't selling the greens so much anymore?

I just wish they were back in the traders, or the writs only asked for top level again. Either is good.
    Edited by SolarCat02 on October 20, 2016 10:05PM
    Why be normal when you can be better?

Elissandra Ravenwing, Magicka Dragonknight Healer
    Lady Kalila, Stamina Templar DPS
    Stands-in-Danger, Nightblade Saptank
    Zalarah, Stamina Dragonknight DPS
  • feyreisa12
    feyreisa12
    ✭✭
    I am wondering why the provisioning writs now ask for lower tier recipes?

Me too. It's a complete head-scratcher. My main crafter has all the green recipes, so having the recipe isn't a problem, but crafting-wise it makes no sense.
    NA PS4 - Whitehotwilson - Guildmaster, Crafters & Traders
    Galerial - C160 High Elf Sorc
  • Commish
    Commish
    ✭✭✭
    I have a 9 trait Master Crafter for all crafts but only now do Provisioning, Enchanting and Alchemy with him. I don't do the others since they are just too expensive now to do with the reward system for crafting the way it is. I do use him to do all my building so will keep those points invested in him

I have 3 characters set at 1 tier below master level to do Wood, Metal and Clothing. All they do are writs with mats that are not too expensive so it seems like it should be worth it, and I have not invested in all the areas for them to be a Master Crafter so they don't take a huge hit in points. It takes me maybe 1/2 hour to zoom through all 4 characters each day in Craglorn where they are based. From that I am getting stacks of surveys that I can choose to go get when I want. I haven't collected on any yet but I hope they scale to the level of the collector - probably should try that out. One of my main reasons to do things this way is to farm nirncrux and I have about 15 various stacked survey maps (which is nice to be able to do!) for Craglorn which I will put to use at some point.

The lower level mats I get still sell, so the income from them helps. I do like the fact they added in those furrier(?) boxes since leathers have always been tedious to farm.

I think it's going to work out - just have to see.
  • JKorr
    JKorr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Join a guild or two or more. Be named the armorer/crafter for three guilds, two of which are new player friendly. Lots of players under level 50. Now be asked to make gear for those players. You will need more than a few iron ingots.

I used to take my maxed crafter back to Stonefalls and harvest iron and jute. I could go to Deshaan and pick up steel and cotton. Shadowfen for the next and so on. I can't do that now. I'm not all that keen on doing writs, because it still seems that I'm putting out more mats than I get back, so I have to keep my alts at the appropriate levels to get the mats I need.

I did this even before the crafting bag. It was a pain, but I made space for all the mats I use. I made sure I maxed the inventory space for my crafters. See, the reason I used my master crafter to go harvest stuff was because that was the character who had all the mats for that craft. My provisioner/alchemist/enchanter never picked up ore, wood, or fiber. My smith/wood/clothier never picked up food, runes, or most plants/flowers. [All of my characters picked columbine.] If you limit what you pick up to what you use, its possible. A pain, yes, but possible.
  • Eocosa
    Eocosa
    ✭✭✭
    I understand the intention they had with changing writs the way they did, but personally I am VERY dissatisfied with it.

As stated previously, this allows higher crafting skilled players to still have a means of acquiring lower level mats for lower level gear as you can no longer harvest it on that toon, however, it turned the writ system into essentially a material lottery exchange.

Craft X items for Y rubedite or ancester silk and receive 25 of a lower tiered material! That just doesn't seem like too great an investment.

Granted with more people having access to more nodes of end game materials those prices will probably go down while lower tiered materials will go up as there is only a narrow margin of time for leveling toons to have access to it, but the amount of opportunities to sell those tiers of gear are substantially lower and most leveling toons don't have the gold to buy expensive sets.

The lower leveled materials aren't even required to level up crafting as you can deconstruct drops and items made with higher tiered materials for more inspiration then your current tier.

Writs used to be a net resource gain I found so it encourages you to do your daily writs as you'd often get a survey (sometimes not) that would supply enough mats for a day or two of more writs. Now it feels like a hole I just pour my materials into...
  • Mike0987
    Mike0987
    ✭✭✭
    Even though they increased the amount of mats you get on a survey RNG is so bad with me actually getting them I gave up. Time is better spent just heading out and gathering ruby mats. Granted they do give like 600g but the return on mats wasn't worth it. I now only do provisioning, enchanting, and alchemy after doing all 6 on 3 crafters for well over a year.
  • Boradordin
    Boradordin
    ✭✭
    Lets face it Zenimax screwed it up, again. And I noticed a ZOS agent has not chimed in which is power for the course!

Take it back to when the crafting materials for an area were level specific and I was not getting raw rubedite on my AD master crafter in Khenarthi's Roost. That is just asinine! If I want raw rubedite I'll go to Wrothgar. Oh, thats right. Zenimax forces you to purchase Orsinium to have access to level 10 mats.

At times it makes me ponder who is running the show over there, the inmates or the monkeys! No more will I waste my level 10 mats so I get level 3 refined trash. Refined oak is worthless dross for all my toons, my bag already holding thousands of 'em.
  • STEVIL
    STEVIL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I had my crafting writs set to Craglorn so I could get a chance for Nirn. Now I get sent to other places and rarely get a survey for Craglorn.

I have to ask how often is this happening?

Reason i ask is my writs surveys drop at about 105 now but of those dropping - multiple a day - most go to the same places they used to auridon, glenumbra, wrothgar. i think i may have gotten one or two that went elsewhere and i get surveys every dqy.

Now,
    Eocosa wrote: »
    I understand the intention they had with changing writs the way they did, but personally I am VERY dissatisfied with it.

As stated previously, this allows higher crafting skilled players to still have a means of acquiring lower level mats for lower level gear as you can no longer harvest it on that toon, however, it turned the writ system into essentially a material lottery exchange.

Craft X items for Y rubedite or ancester silk and receive 25 of a lower tiered material! That just doesn't seem like too great an investment.

Granted with more people having access to more nodes of end game materials those prices will probably go down while lower tiered materials will go up as there is only a narrow margin of time for leveling toons to have access to it, but the amount of opportunities to sell those tiers of gear are substantially lower and most leveling toons don't have the gold to buy expensive sets.

The lower leveled materials aren't even required to level up crafting as you can deconstruct drops and items made with higher tiered materials for more inspiration then your current tier.

Writs used to be a net resource gain I found so it encourages you to do your daily writs as you'd often get a survey (sometimes not) that would supply enough mats for a day or two of more writs. Now it feels like a hole I just pour my materials into...

bold

You are conflating.

PRE 1T if your writ had no survey you got a piece or two and maybe grand repair.

Post-1T if your writ doesnt have survey you get the same AND AN ADDED BOX of lower tier mats.
    YFMV Your Fun May Vary.

• montiferus
    montiferus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Got to say not a fan at all of these low level mats. Utterly worthless.

In addition the rewards for enchanting writs are ridiculous. The vast majority of the time all I get is a green level 150 glyph and 2 empty soul gems. Really? Is that even remotely useful to anyone?? At least with the provisioning you get mats.
  • Fudly_budly
    Fudly_budly
    ✭✭✭✭
    Bottom line... Doing Blacksmith, Woodworking, and Clothier Writs as a skill lvl 50 T10 crafter is a lose gold venture. Getting shipments of refined lower level mats is no reward at all. It's a penalty! Craglorn writs should supply Craglorn survey rewards.... Nirncrux, duh!!!
    Maybe the "Shipments" given as rewards could at least be "raw," "rough." or "ore?" Those at least are worth stockpiling. I usually drag 1-2 Epic or Legendary resins from a hundred stack. Then I can offload the refined stack through a guild store immediately so no inventory bloat.
    Rule #1: RL trumps gaming.
    Rule #2: True immersion is RL.
    Rule #3: RL lag is wonderful.
    Rule #4: People matter. Pixels do not.
  • KimberlyannKitsuragi
    I think half scale to your skill level and the others scale to how much of the craft you have unlocked (1-10)
    Feel free to add me. I'm part of the Gummy Guars PC/Mac NA server. Master crafter and working on getting 9 traits on everything
  • SaRuZ
    SaRuZ
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I run dungeons and decon all the gear. After two or three a day you should have more than enough to complete the writs.
  • olsborg
    olsborg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tyrion87 wrote: »

This

PC EU
    PvP only