The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

How do I check damage?

TheUrbanWizard
TheUrbanWizard
✭✭✭✭
People say they 25k damage or whatnot, but how do I check?

I mean different enemies, skills, heavy/light all affects damage output.

What's the standard way of measuring it?

Sorry if this is a stupid question!

Best Answer

• vyndral13preub18_ESO
    vyndral13preub18_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    There isnt an agreeded standard. Since there are no test dummies to beat up on. Usually though when stating your dps people usually are talking about a dungeon boss of some sort. Even though those can vary wildly.
    Answer ✓
  • xerasia
    xerasia
    ✭✭✭
    Turn on combat text in options, then beat up on some NPCs :)
    Xerasia - Bosmer Magicka Templar | NA EP
    Galasha - Orc Stamina Dragonknight | NA EP
    Haileigha - Altmer Magicka Sorcerer | NA EP
    Zaxaria - lvl 21 Argonian I don't even know what to do with this one Nightblade | NA EP
  • UltimaJoe777
    UltimaJoe777
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    On Consoles just turn on the Damage Numbers or whatever from Options in Gameplay I believe is where it is.

On PC they use add-ons.
    Edited by UltimaJoe777 on July 29, 2016 4:18PM
    Guildmaster of Power With Numbers in PS4 NA Server's Aldmeri Dominion.
    Proud Founder of the Yaysay cult! DOWN WITH THE NAYSAY CULT!! #ToxicRemedy
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    FTC and other addons will often include a DPS readout, and as Xerasia said, you can turn on your combat text crawl.
  • TheUrbanWizard
    TheUrbanWizard
    ✭✭✭✭
    OK yeah but I mean when people say they get 45k, fine, but in what scenario.

I get like 43k damage on one of then echel things in Orsinium, but I'm stealthed, using Reapers Mark and Rally and with a heavy attack.

Similarly if I use rally and reapers mark in a dungeon and spam Surprise Attack I get anything between 5k and 15k.

I have no idea if these numbers are any good for a NB damage dealer..
    Edited by TheUrbanWizard on July 29, 2016 4:26PM
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I get like 43k damage on one of then echel things in Orsinium, but I'm stealthed, using Reapers Mark and Rally and with a heavy attack.

Similarly if I use rally and reapers mark in a dungeon and spam Surprise Attack I get anything between 5k and 15k.

43k from stealth is respectable. I can't remember the math for Reaper's Mark off hand, but I usually use Rally and Wrecking Blow as my go to, from stealth, option.

Surprise Attack has always been underwhelming to me. Especially in comparison to the movement buff from Concealed Weapon.
  • TheUrbanWizard
    TheUrbanWizard
    ✭✭✭✭
    @starkerealm is Concealed Weapon the other morph? Might give it a go thanks
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @starkerealm is Concealed Weapon the other morph? Might give it a go thanks

Yeah, it's the magicka morph, so you're strictly slotting it for it's passive effect, not to actually attack with it. If you're running a stealth build, and including something like Nightstalker's Footsteps, Shadowdancer, or Night's Silence, you can move at ridiculous speeds in stealth, combine with judicious cloak use, and you can really mess with the game's expectations of where you'll be when an encounter starts.
  • altemriel
    altemriel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

there are addons on pc, like FTC for example, that display numbers of your actual attacks, so if you hit somebody or something in one hit for 21 000 damage, then it says "21k", and next time when you hit someone with 10k damage, it says "10k".

So to say I hit 45k, means either usually or that one time I hit something/somebody with 45k damage.
    Edited by altemriel on July 29, 2016 5:27PM
  • caperon
    caperon
    ✭✭✭✭
    People say they 25k damage or whatnot, but how do I check?

I mean different enemies, skills, heavy/light all affects damage output.

What's the standard way of measuring it?

Sorry if this is a stupid question!

The standard way of mesuring is using addons like FTC or Combat Metrics, that count all the damage (and healing, and more things) you do, so you can know the average damage you dfo per second. Obviously only works for PC users (teh master race!).

For console, there is a post explaining how to do tests on the bloodspawn so you can have an aproximation (known hp/time).
  • Ghost-Shot
    Ghost-Shot
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    45k is for all but a handful of people in the world only going to be achieved in a raid setting were boss resistances are debuffed down to basically nothing and you have every group damage buff available to you. And even then you are still looking at the best players in the world hitting those numbers. Realistically you want to aim for 30-35k on vet raid bosses, 25k should be like you minimum dps in a vet raid. Always keep in mind there are some bosses that are very difficult to get a high dps parse on, its not that you aren't doing good damage there are just some spots where you are forced off of a boss, going down the portal on Mantikora for example.
  • ValkynSketha
    ValkynSketha
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bloodspawn is what most test on, you need a tank that keeps him in one place.
  • DurzoBlint13
    DurzoBlint13
    ✭✭✭✭
    on PC I think there is an add-on that shows the breakdown of how much damage the group does and each person's average DPS for that fight. I could be wrong since I play ps4 but I think that is close to how it works. On console the only way to know your DPS is beat up a dungeon boss- Bloodspawn is most popular because he has 1.5 mill health and it is an easy calculation from there to determine your DPS as a group. But there is no real way to see your own individual DPS unless you are PC. You can easily see how much damage you do per hit with SCT but no measure for actual Damage Per Second (DPS) unless you do the math yourself