The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of May 13:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – May 14, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Controller Support?

eventide03b14a_ESO
eventide03b14a_ESO
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭
I thought you were adding in controller support with the update @ZOS_GinaBruno .
:trollin:
  • ZOS_JessicaFolsom
    ZOS_JessicaFolsom
    Community Manager
    Not this update, @eventide03b14a_ESO. We've only confirmed that we are working on it, and it will be coming. We don't have a timeframe for it to go live yet.
    Jessica Folsom
    Associate Director of Community - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Facebook | Twitter | Twitch | Tumblr | Instagram | YouTube | Support
    Options
    Staff Post
  • eventide03b14a_ESO
    eventide03b14a_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    sad-panda.jpg
    Options
  • KingSaiz
    KingSaiz
    ✭✭
    Not this update, @eventide03b14a_ESO. We've only confirmed that we are working on it, and it will be coming. We don't have a timeframe for it to go live yet.

Oh Well! IDK this game was developed on PC's you would think that controller support would be the 1st thing figured out,
    PC Gamers always get the short end when it comes to the developers; were always the first group they come to when it needs to be BETA tested and always the last group; when it comes to having the bugs worked out.

Yes, I would say a game without controller support is a BUG.
    Hell its enough to make PC Gamers fell like Rodney Dangerfield,

"they get no respect".

On the other hand developers have ingrained a strong sense of patience in its neglected PC Gamers. I just hope I don't loose my patience or interest in this game before that happens.

How long has this game be in the wild? Really!
    Options
  • ADarklore
    ADarklore
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @KingSaiz I hate to tell you, but the MAJORITY of PC gamers still use keyboard/mouse... only a small minority use controller- therefore- it was obviously not a priority to include controller support for PC. Most gamers that want to use a controller, buy a console. Besides that, there are still ways to use a controller with ESO on PC, that is the only way I play- but I also keep a kb/m next to me for the various other functions. It's not impossible, there are ways to currently make it work.
    CP: 1965 ** ESO+ Gold Road ** ~~ Stamina Arcanist ~~ Magicka Warden ~~ Magicka Templar ~~ ***** Strictly a solo PvE quester *****
    Options
  • nine9six
    nine9six
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    While I'll use my M+KB for doing content...I can't wait to be able to use a controller to fish or run around gathering mats while watching Netflix.

Kick-back in my chair and relax. Will be nice!
    Wake up, we're here. Why are you shaking? Are you ok? Wake up...
    Options
  • rb2001
    rb2001
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don't get this. I'm using my XBOX One and 360 controllers on ESO on PC with Pinnacle. It is a highly advanced software capable of mapping almost how it maps currently on the console (except for the obvious like list navigation because the UI is different).

I have made my own mapping, and it is excellent. Even navigating the menus is smooth and natural.

When the new controller-tailored UI comes, with auto controller support, it'll be about 5% nicer than what I have now, but it is entirely playable with controller right now.

I have posted a control profile for Pinnacle.
    Options
  • Zolron
    Zolron
    ✭✭✭
    Hope this actually means something this time as I found this link regarding their adding gamepad support.
    July 2014
    http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/119843/update-3-api-patch-notes-change-log-pts

...scroll down to this part and it makes me sad...
    "Gamepad
    We are in the early stages of adding PC support for gamepad input. Several functions for querying trigger, stick, and button states will appear in the documentation, but these functions have not yet been enabled."

Oh well, it only took 13 months to go from "early stages of working on it " to just working on it. I guess that means we should have it by summer 2016 :(
    Options
  • Ourorboros
    Ourorboros
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    nine9six wrote: »
    While I'll use my M+KB for doing content...I can't wait to be able to use a controller to fish or run around gathering mats while watching Netflix.

Kick-back in my chair and relax. Will be nice!

I've been doing this since release. :) Make grinding much more tolerable B)
    PC/NA/DC
    Breton Sorcerer Maester.White - BB meets GoT >Master Crafter< { 9 Traits completed 4/23/15 }
    TANSTAAFL--->There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.....Robert Heinlein
    Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea....Heinlein
    All those moments will be lost in time, like tears...in...rain. Time to die. "Blade Runner"
    ESO: the game you hate to love and love to hate....( >_<) May RNG be with you (*,_,*)
    Options
  • ADarklore
    ADarklore
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Zolron wrote: »
    Oh well, it only took 13 months to go from "early stages of working on it " to just working on it. I guess that means we should have it by summer 2016 :(

You DO realize that they also expected console launch a lot sooner than it happened, right? And that everything that had been initially planned was pushed off due to issues with console development.

I'm just happy that the new controller 'auto detect' will be made a toggle, so that those who already have a third-party controller setup can continue to use it in the manner we have become accustomed to and enjoy.
    CP: 1965 ** ESO+ Gold Road ** ~~ Stamina Arcanist ~~ Magicka Warden ~~ Magicka Templar ~~ ***** Strictly a solo PvE quester *****
    Options
  • acolyte2475b14_ESO
    acolyte2475b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Not at PAX, no controller support in sight, it's a day for *ughs* not *hugs* concerning eso. :(
    Options
  • Zolron
    Zolron
    ✭✭✭
    ADarklore wrote: »

You DO realize that they also expected console launch a lot sooner than it happened, right? And that everything that had been initially planned was pushed off due to issues with console development.

Yes I DO realize they have been working on console release....My concern is that they have been quite vague, and that they will always be working on "issues" with the release of Imperial City, Orsinium , then Theives and Dark brotherhood etc. My point is that i find I dont believe working on other avenues of the game should come at a cost of a much wanted feature ...
    Edited by Zolron on September 1, 2015 3:17PM
    Options
  • ADarklore
    ADarklore
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My point is that i find I dont believe working on other avenues of the game should come at a cost of a much wanted feature ...

"Much wanted" by you and a minority of others. So what you're saying is that they should delay future content to appease a small minority of PC players?
    Edited by ADarklore on September 1, 2015 3:28PM
    Options
  • Zolron
    Zolron
    ✭✭✭
    much wanted feature ...

"Much wanted" by you and a minority of others. So what you're saying is that they should delay future content to appease a small minority of PC players?

No..what I am saying is that they should have a different group of people working on these things, just like the Crown store updates are not delayed by future/current content.
    I guess I am also frustrated at the lack of Quality of Life changes being blamed on current projects, as if this is the case they will always be "working" on something and we will never see any of them
    Don't get me wrong I still love the game but am quite 'jaded' from the previous responses or lack of, from ZOS .
    Options
  • ADarklore
    ADarklore
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can understand your frustration, I'm quite vexed with their update yesterday and now I have to create a completely new "Magicka" Nightblade because they've pretty much destroyed Stamina builds... and an Imperial is not a good choice for a Magicka build. Out with the Imperial, in with a Breton. ;)

In regards to staffing... I believe I had heard that ZOS also suffered some staff reductions in the last year as well, and not just at their customer support center. However, since they've had most of their staff working on getting the console version finished over the past 18 months, now that it has finally been completed, I am sure they have more people working on QoL projects. I know when Controller Support was discussed, it was stated that they wanted to make sure it worked properly before rushing to release it. Because of how they want to see it implemented, where it would 'auto detect' whenever you activated the controller, mouse or keyboard and switch UI accordingly... this sounds like a very complex system to put in place.

Hopefully when it is finally released, the long wait will be well worth it.
    Options
  • DaveMoeDee
    DaveMoeDee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    KingSaiz wrote: »

Oh Well! IDK this game was developed on PC's you would think that controller support would be the 1st thing figured out,
    PC Gamers always get the short end when it comes to the developers; were always the first group they come to when it needs to be BETA tested and always the last group; when it comes to having the bugs worked out.

Yes, I would say a game without controller support is a BUG.
    Hell its enough to make PC Gamers fell like Rodney Dangerfield,

"they get no respect".

On the other hand developers have ingrained a strong sense of patience in its neglected PC Gamers. I just hope I don't loose my patience or interest in this game before that happens.

How long has this game be in the wild? Really!

When PC's get it first, you say we are beta testers. When we don't get it first, we are being neglected. Really?

PC Gamers always get the short end? Like with all those Skyrim mods? Like with all the games with the far superior PC graphics?

The controllers for PC is far more complicate because our UI is optimized to be used with a mouse and keyboard and we have mod support. They can't change our menus to the crap console menus since (1) those menus look onerous to use and there is no need for such nonsense with a mouse and (2) they would presumably break the mod API.

It would be great if they could get the update out quick, but there are reasons other than not caring about you.

And why would controller support "be the 1st thing figured out"? How does that make sense? You would think mouse and keyboard support would be on of the first things. There are also a ton of other things the devs need to include in the game that are a lot more important than support of an alternate means of control.
    Options
  • acolyte2475b14_ESO
    acolyte2475b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    For the PC controller support naysayers your point would be valid if it wasn't for the fact that almost all other cross platform developers include PC controller support day one in their games. If this was a game that was never intended to use a controller I would agree with you. But it was totally developed with a controller in mind. Also the PC industry is moving more and more towards controllers in general. I really do feel the lack of PC controller support is having much more of an impact on the success of ESO then might be readily apparent.
    Options
  • ADarklore
    ADarklore
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I really do feel the lack of PC controller support is having much more of an impact on the success of ESO then might be readily apparent.

I disagree... mainly because PC gamers have become a minority within the gaming world, as most players play on console, and anyone who has been PC gaming for years is already accustomed to kb/m. Also, they had to completely redesign the console UI prior to launch, which was another part of the console delay... and it was because of that redesign that they even considered implementing it into the PC version. Without the console UI there would be NO controller support for PC. People seem to think that controller support isn't a big deal, but it requires a complete revamp to the UI so that all tasks can be handled from the controller... you can't just slap native controller support into a UI that is designed for kb/m.
    Options
  • eventide03b14a_ESO
    eventide03b14a_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @KingSaiz I hate to tell you, but the MAJORITY of PC gamers still use keyboard/mouse... only a small minority use controller- therefore- it was obviously not a priority to include controller support for PC. Most gamers that want to use a controller, buy a console. Besides that, there are still ways to use a controller with ESO on PC, that is the only way I play- but I also keep a kb/m next to me for the various other functions. It's not impossible, there are ways to currently make it work.
    For a majority of the time I will continue to use a mouse and keyboard. But there are times I just want to lay back and not do anything serious. There's not much reason I should need a mouse and keyboard to harvest, craft or even do most of the basic quests that are found in the game. I understand there are methods to using a gamepad with the game as it is but I don't like those options. They are far too tedious to set up and don't really offer the full range that you can get with a game supported controller system. There really isn't any good reason this game shouldn't have had controller support from the beginning, or at the very least when they released it for console. Windows already has drivers for the Xbox controller and it shouldn't much effort to simply port over the settings they made for the Xbox. I honestly have no idea why this wasn't just something they didn't do months ago.
    Options
  • eventide03b14a_ESO
    eventide03b14a_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    rb2001 wrote: »
    I don't get this. I'm using my XBOX One and 360 controllers on ESO on PC with Pinnacle. It is a highly advanced software capable of mapping almost how it maps currently on the console (except for the obvious like list navigation because the UI is different).

I have made my own mapping, and it is excellent. Even navigating the menus is smooth and natural.

When the new controller-tailored UI comes, with auto controller support, it'll be about 5% nicer than what I have now, but it is entirely playable with controller right now.

I have posted a control profile for Pinnacle.

I appreciate what the community does, but it will never be the same as game supported controllers. Again, no reason this shouldn't have been done already. Given that we beta tested this game for the console for a year (while paying the obligatory sub) it would be a really nice to get something back from the console development.
    Options
  • ADarklore
    ADarklore
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Windows already has drivers for the Xbox controller and it shouldn't much effort to simply port over the settings they made for the Xbox. I honestly have no idea why this wasn't just something they didn't do months ago.

Again, you don't seem to get it. This isn't a matter of simply 'adding controller support', it requires a completely NEW interface being added to the game so that ALL functions can be done through the controller. Your idea would simply make a controller 'recognized' by the game, but not make it 'functional' with the UI. THAT is what ESO is working on, implementing a NEW 'controller-based' user interface to the game.
    Options
  • eventide03b14a_ESO
    eventide03b14a_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Windows already has drivers for the Xbox controller and it shouldn't much effort to simply port over the settings they made for the Xbox. I honestly have no idea why this wasn't just something they didn't do months ago.

Again, you don't seem to get it. This isn't a matter of simply 'adding controller support', it requires a completely NEW interface being added to the game so that ALL functions can be done through the controller. Your idea would simply make a controller 'recognized' by the game, but not make it 'functional' with the UI. THAT is what ESO is working on, implementing a NEW 'controller-based' user interface to the game.
    Hmmm, like perhaps the interface THAT WAS ALREADY DEVELOPED FOR THE XBOX? LMFAO. Don't tell someone they "don't get it" when you clearly have no clue what you're talking about.
    Edited by eventide03b14a_ESO on September 1, 2015 8:04PM
    Options
  • nine9six
    nine9six
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I understand it can be done with Pinnacle (and other software). But to be honest, I just don't feel like doing anything other than picking-up the controller and it working
    For a majority of the time I will continue to use a mouse and keyboard. But there are times I just want to lay back and not do anything serious. There's not much reason I should need a mouse and keyboard to harvest, craft or even do most of the basic quests that are found in the game.

Exactly.

I know what Pinnacle is. I have it for a few games that my better-half likes to play, but offer no Controller Support. I'll wait for OEM support.
    Wake up, we're here. Why are you shaking? Are you ok? Wake up...
    Options
  • thunderwell
    thunderwell
    ✭✭✭

Hmmm, like perhaps the interface THAT WAS ALREADY DEVELOPED FOR THE XBOX? LMFAO. Don't tell someone they "don't get it" when you clearly have no clue what you're talking about.

I'm pretty sure consoles and PC's are two seperate machines, running on different types of hardware and software.
    Can't just port one game to another platform and expect it to play without tweaking some of the program so it can properly function.
    Can't just plug any controller into any platform and start playing.
    NA, PC Megaserver
    Zhaani, Female Khajiit, Nightblade, AD (current main)
    (Unless otherwise put in my sig, all characters are below level 50)
    Options
  • eventide03b14a_ESO
    eventide03b14a_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

I'm pretty sure consoles and PC's are two seperate machines, running on different types of hardware and software.
    Can't just port one game to another platform and expect it to play without tweaking some of the program so it can properly function.
    Can't just plug any controller into any platform and start playing.
    What exactly do you think they did to get the game onto the Xbox and PS4? I'd really like to know if you think they rewrote the entire game over again, twice. And then do that for ever patch, expansion and DLC.
    Options
  • Funkopotamus
    Funkopotamus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why does the PC master race want to use a console controller?

Also I think console players should hold that as a hostage trade for text chat..

Jussayun!
    Edited by Funkopotamus on September 2, 2015 9:38PM
    Anything useful that players are wanting added into the game all fall under the category of "Yer ruinin my 'mersion!" Sallington
    Options
  • rb2001
    rb2001
    ✭✭✭✭

Also I think console players should hold that as a hostage trade for text chat..

Jussayun!

I'm rare in this, but I play every game on my PC (except Nintendo games, obviously), and I always prefer the 360 controller (One controller now) with PC.

You get the best of all worlds. Super graphics better than console (everything cranked), plugged into an HDTV, sit back on my couch, and with the ergonomics and comfort of the controller.

I don't like to use a typing device to game on. It doesn't feel right, and everything feels so much smoother and better muscle-memory / quick access on a controller.

So, for me, whether or not they add controller support, I'm already playing it with controller every day (via Pinnacle), and it's soooo smooth.

If they add a new UI with built-in support, it'll be nice.
    Options
  • acolyte2475b14_ESO
    acolyte2475b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    I am even seeing more and more games starting to offer split screen coop on the PC with controllers! Divinity original sin enhanced edition. And this is a isometric turn based RPG!
    Options
  • eventide03b14a_ESO
    eventide03b14a_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Jussayun!
    I already explained in a previous post. Try to follow along better.
    Options
  • mrskinskull
    mrskinskull
    ✭✭✭✭
    I thought you were adding in controller support with the update @ZOS_GinaBruno .

Could you use a button wrapper? Is that a PC thing? Or does mouse to controller not work so much?

If this were console text chat, people would ignorantly claim that because one exists somewhere on some game that ever existed, zos should be able to pull the switch and implement it without bugs hiccups or effort.

The truth is you can't just slap a system into a platform without loads of tweaking and balancing.

And every change you make means more bugs.

I still can't believe there's not a third party add on grabbing the input and converting it
    Options
  • acolyte2475b14_ESO
    acolyte2475b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭

Could you use a button wrapper? Is that a PC thing? Or does mouse to controller not work so much?

If this were console text chat, people would ignorantly claim that because one exists somewhere on some game that ever existed, zos should be able to pull the switch and implement it without bugs hiccups or effort.

The truth is you can't just slap a system into a platform without loads of tweaking and balancing.

And every change you make means more bugs.

I still can't believe there's not a third party add on grabbing the input and converting it

A lot of things are a lot more difficult to implement then they seem. But this is not one of them, especially since the game was designed from the ground up around the future premise of controller use. Its not like we are asking World of Warcraft to add native controller support. That would be a massive undertaking t that would involve the redesign of almost every system in the game and millions of dollars in development cost.

ESO was designed from the beginning with controllers in mind. Bug fixes are more of a challenge for ESO then implementing support on the PC. The only thing delaying it is that they have just not decided to allow any man power to be diverted towards it.
    Options