Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Mini map needed

SugaComa
SugaComa
✭✭✭✭✭
Please please add a mini map to console, the game lacks flow when I have check my location every 30 seconds.
  • Rev Rielle
    Rev Rielle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You have a compass, and though it may take a little getting use to, it's an Elder Scrolls staple, and with practice can be a powerful tool, much more so than any mini map. It just takes a little adjusting.
    If you can be anything, be kind.
  • SugaComa
    SugaComa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No adjusting needed for the compass I can use it quite well but a mini map would allow me to better work out if I'm good to stay going ahead bank left of tak a wide right.

Often with the compass I end up going to far in my needs circle around something to find a way to the top, its something I feel was missing from all TES games..
  • Rev Rielle
    Rev Rielle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, most all of the important places in a town have a sign out the front. For example; the bank has a chest icon.

gallery_101_240_419601.jpg.d692ab19687ef2154e3e5b1b89ad3aa1.jpg

Once you become familiar with the various icons and what they represent you'll hopefully find it very easy to find which building is which in a town. And of course, after a while (or very short while depending upon your mind) you'll build up a mind-map of the area, and then mini-maps just become redundant and only add to the cognitive load on your screen (something which is never good).
    If you can be anything, be kind.
  • SugaComa
    SugaComa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's not what I need it for ... I'm more than capable of navigating a town .... But then open world area can be tricky ... How often have youbseen the white icon for a mission litrelly 3 ft in front of you only to find you've hit a shear cliff ... Me set off circling the mountain the wrong way.

Please don't patronise me , km a grown adult been gaming over 20 years ... For convenience I'd like to see a mini map ... Have set as a toggle option, I will use it you can toggle off so to speak ...lol
  • xaade
    xaade
    ✭✭✭
    Just download one of the several minimap mods.

Oh wait.... console player.... lol.

People keep buying bethesda games on console. :(
  • jkemmery
    jkemmery
    ✭✭✭✭
    I agree the game needs a mini map. The compass just doesn't cut it because so many times, the quickest and most convenient way to get from one spot to another is NOT a straight line. I can't play without my mini map add on. The compass is next to worthless, IMO.
  • TheShadowScout
    TheShadowScout
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I disagree the game needs a minimap. I personally enjoy it NOT having a minimap, and navigating by compass and whatever i remember from the last quick glance at the map, it makes me feel all immersive and medieval-ish! If the powers that be declared all minimap add-ons illegal tomorrow I would rejoice and burn some incense at azuras shrine!

Buuut, thinking more rationally, I do realize that there are many a certain sort of milk-drinker among the playerbase who feel quite helpless without a minimap, and will likely whine about it.

Ach, you young sports, you have no idea how good you have it with ESO, back in the old days we had to draw our dungeon and overland maps all by ourselves! And walk half an hour uphill for our questing, both on the way there, and back again! How gerroff mah lawn! :smirk::tongue:;)
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    ✭✭✭
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • SugaComa
    SugaComa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Really ...

Ide like to know why did
  • BeardLumber
    BeardLumber
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm not a fan of mini maps.

However, I am a fan of having options and introducing a toggle mini map is not harmful to the game in the slightest.
    Heals Please
    PC Master Race
  • SugaComa
    SugaComa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I disagree the game needs a minimap. I personally enjoy it NOT having a minimap, and navigating by compass and whatever i remember from the last quick glance at the map, it makes me feel all immersive and medieval-ish! If the powers that be declared all minimap add-ons illegal tomorrow I would rejoice and burn some incense at azuras shrine!

Buuut, thinking more rationally, I do realize that there are many a certain sort of milk-drinker among the playerbase who feel quite helpless without a minimap, and will likely whine about it.

Ach, you young sports, you have no idea how good you have it with ESO, back in the old days we had to draw our dungeon and overland maps all by ourselves! And walk half an hour uphill for our questing, both on the way there, and back again! How gerroff mah lawn! :smirk::tongue:;)

I'm 40, memory ain't what it was ... N I hate milk ...

I do however concede that no minimap does add to the RP element ... But a toggle option so I can have it when I need it would be great
  • seratin
    seratin
    ✭✭✭
    If this were actually a proper elder scrolls game I'd say it's not needed, as there is no incorrect direction to go in. But this game is much more linear, and if you don't do things in the order you're supposed to you'll end up having a much harder time because of it. As such, a basic minimap would not be remiss.
  • Slonekb05
    Slonekb05
    ✭✭✭
    no...no..and no. You already have a compass and a map that literately takes 5sec to pull up and look at if your actually lost.
  • Chuggernaut
    Chuggernaut
    ✭✭✭
    I don't care if they add it or not so long as they allow you to disable it. IMHO a better fix would be to add the Clairvoyance spell to the game.
    My comrades have returned. I erect the spine of gratitude. You are a hero today. - Bura-Natoo
  • Xendyn
    Xendyn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    SugaComa wrote: »
    Really ...

Ide like to know why did

cause 'mershun

Absolutely no reason we can't have UI options.
    I'll repeat...
    Options
    Lag is ruinin' my 'mershun!
    A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in.
    There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance - Socrates
    Member of the Old Guard, keepers of the game's history

PC/NA
  • Sharee
    Sharee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have you tried to get lost? It can be fun in TESO. Forget there even is a map at all, just pick a direction and start walking. The game is build for exploring. Never know what you might find! :)
  • asteldian
    asteldian
    ✭✭✭✭
    I love having a mini map, when I played without it I found I kept opening my map all too frequently which was annoying. I know the mini map is not needed as such, but it made the game more pleasurable for me. I am ashamed of my dependancy on such a thing though - back in EQ 1 I knew the layout of all zones and they didn't even have any map at the time.
  • Mitchblue
    Mitchblue
    ✭✭✭✭
    Can't even have a freakin' mini-map. This games sucks on Console.
    Anyone else rooting for Molag Bal?
  • seratin
    seratin
    ✭✭✭
    Sharee wrote: »
    Have you tried to get lost? It can be fun in TESO. Forget there even is a map at all, just pick a direction and start walking. The game is build for exploring. Never know what you might find! :)

This game doesn't really cater to that playstyle that well, unlike a real elder scrolls game. Being level based, wander too much and you'll either be somewhere you've already been with mobs a quarter of you level, or somewhere with mobs who consider you nothing more then a tasty snack.
  • Arkadius
    Arkadius
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    TESO spoiled me. I recently played a singleplayer rpg and i constantly caught myself opening the map instead of looking on the exisiting minimap, while running around... :#
    Edited by Arkadius on July 10, 2015 5:28PM
  • Slonekb05
    Slonekb05
    ✭✭✭
    seratin wrote: »

This game doesn't really cater to that playstyle that well, unlike a real elder scrolls game. Being level based, wander too much and you'll either be somewhere you've already been with mobs a quarter of you level, or somewhere with mobs who consider you nothing more then a tasty snack.

your able to kill mobs 20lv's higher then you in this game, lower lv's i agree with tho.
  • Mitchblue
    Mitchblue
    ✭✭✭✭

Mountains. 20 minutes to try and get around a mountain, that's enough exploring for me at one time.
  • Sharee
    Sharee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mitchblue wrote: »

Mountains. 20 minutes to try and get around a mountain, that's enough exploring for me at one time.

But that's what i am talking about. When you are trying to get around a mountain, you are trying to get from point A to point B on the shortest path, not exploring. When exploring, you just roll with the punches. Ridge in the way, okay now i'll walk in this direction instead. Found a river - let's see what's downstream. Etc. You will find treasure chests, rifts, and even out of the way quests this way that you otherwise wouldn't.
  • SLy_Kyti
    SLy_Kyti
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sorry, there was a mini map in Beta, but it was removed from game....if you wait long enough, along with torchbugs in Cyrodiil and PvP buffs in PvE zones; most things will be removed from game.

I know that's not helpful to you, but writing that was helpful to me ;)
    Master Crafter: Almost all motifs
    GM~ Blades of Old Tamriel NA/AD
    Member~ NZAD
    Member~ Blades of Vengeance NA/AD
    -Tamriel College -Amazing Deals of Nirn-
  • bedlom
    bedlom
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It really isn't needed in a tes game and would look ugly imo as a long time TES fan

But as long as I can turn it off then whatever helps you enjoy the game more.
  • Gamertaglemieux
    Gamertaglemieux
    ✭✭✭
    SugaComa wrote: »
    Please please add a mini map to console, the game lacks flow when I have check my location every 30 seconds.

At first I REALLY wanted a mini map.

But after while you realize not need it and actually very happy one less thing to clutter the screen.

VERY good decision to leave mini map out, honestly.
    Queen Ayrenn build that wall around Summerset.

Make Shimmerene great again!
  • Sausage
    Sausage
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Get in raid, you can see dots of your own raid members. What we need is a recruit center for Cyrodil, raid/group leader can hire a NPC who does the invitation for him to get other players basically. I think it would be very MMOish, social, get ready for battle kind of place. Also if they dont add chat for Cyrodil, I think we need might need somekind of announcement if keep is attacked. Also hireable recuiter NPCs could work as Cyrodil Rank rewards, higher rank more people you can get in your raid.
    Edited by Sausage on July 11, 2015 9:20AM
  • Mitchblue
    Mitchblue
    ✭✭✭✭

But that's what i am talking about. When you are trying to get around a mountain, you are trying to get from point A to point B on the shortest path, not exploring. When exploring, you just roll with the punches. Ridge in the way, okay now i'll walk in this direction instead. Found a river - let's see what's downstream. Etc. You will find treasure chests, rifts, and even out of the way quests this way that you otherwise wouldn't.

This isn't the most beautiful MMO. And it's not like I haven't explored already, eventually you need to get somewhere. You know, quests - dungeons, stuff like that.
    Edited by Mitchblue on July 11, 2015 9:53AM
  • Granz
    Granz
    ✭✭
    I have both PC and PS4. I love the game. But playing it on console without MOD's is painful. I played it for a few days and gave up. I agree with the OP. Problem is we have asked and asked for UI additions and it doesn't happen. If not for PC mod's I wouldn't play the game with the current stock UI. Wasting time looking for Skyshards online would make me quit console.
  • SugaComa
    SugaComa
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I do that ... But there are times when I think ... Right 20 minutes go kill let's grab a sky shard or two ... A minimap would help loads. .. It could only pop up while on a mount and its optional to use ... That would suite me perfectly.