The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Game much worse after last patch (12)

gard
gard
✭✭✭✭✭
Since the last patch, myself and my guildmates have frequently experienced intermittent severe lag spikes, framerate drops to 1, stuttering sound (all three of the previous generally happening simultaneously), and intermittent infinite loading screens on traveling to wayshrines.

Do these patches get tested at all? Your audio "fixes" seem to have royally jacked things up.

My wife complains that I never listen to her. (Or something like that.)
-- I'm a one man smurf zerg!

My ESO addons:
Midnight - Find out when midnight is so that you can check for ww/vamp spawn.
Goto - Adds a tab to the map pane allowing you to teleport to a friend, guildmate, or groupmate for free.
  • Adilya
    Adilya
    ✭✭✭
    It is also not possible to enter Bthanual after last patch (v2.0.12). If you try to go there, the game will crash.

The not funny thing is, that my twink is standing in is dungeon and because of that, I´m not able to play with it :( .
  • ZOS_RichLambert
    ZOS_RichLambert
    Creative Director
    /lurk
    Rich Lambert
    Creative Director - The Elder Scrolls Online
    Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | Tumblr | Pinterest | YouTube
    Staff Post
  • VonL
    VonL
    /lurk

Will we get at least an answer that you are working on that problem, that you are willing to help us play again your game etc? Because we can't play due to crashes and lags for 24 hours and no responce is given! You will perform serve maintenance for a leap second thing, but it seems that you ignore the crashes, you ignore ppl who can't play anymore!
  • Attorneyatlawl
    Attorneyatlawl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    VonL wrote: »
    /lurk

Will we get at least an answer that you are working on that problem, that you are willing to help us play again your game etc? Because we can't play due to crashes and lags for 24 hours and no responce is given! You will perform serve maintenance for a leap second thing, but it seems that you ignore the crashes, you ignore ppl who can't play anymore!

He is telling you two things. First off, that the issue was noticed and the thread was read, nothing less and nothing more yet. Secondly, he enjoys roleplaying the Lurker from Starcraft: Brood Wars (1999). :D
    -First-Wave Closed Beta Tester of the Psijic Order, aka the 0.016 percent.
    Exploits suck. Don't blame just the game, blame the players abusing them!

-Playing since July 2013, back when we had a killspam channel in Cyrodiil and the lands of Tamriel were roamed by dinosaurs.
    ✭✭✭
    /lurk

The game crashes with an unknown error in loading screen. So I click on my twink, then there is a loading screen and after 1 minute I get this unknown error message. My Main is loading normal in craglorn, but when it travels to Bthanual its the same.
  • Preyfar
    Preyfar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    He is telling you two things. First off, that the issue was noticed and the thread was read, nothing less and nothing more yet. Secondly, he enjoys roleplaying the Lurker from Starcraft: Brood Wars (1999). :D
    Just beware when devs drop a /grue.

You will likely be eaten.

• stefan.gustavsonb16_ESO
    stefan.gustavsonb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    /lurk
    Shh. Don't scare him. A game designer (Ludum Excogitatoris) is a rare sight on these forums. If we treat him nicely instead of snapping at him, he might stay for a while, perhaps even settle down and build a nest.
  • LaughingJack
    LaughingJack
    ✭✭
    /lurk

if youre refering to the "/lurk"? then he needs to use plain english instead of some obscure acronym that not everyone knows. to me that was a pointless and inane comment by one of the Devs - does not look good!

Seeker of Shiny Objects
    Vapour Vehiculo De Dolor
    I7-920(2.6GHz), Win7-64, 8GB, HD4870-512, 40-90fps.
  • Attorneyatlawl
    Attorneyatlawl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    /lurk

if youre refering to the "/lurk"? then he needs to use plain english instead of some obscure acronym that not everyone knows. to me that was a pointless and inane comment by one of the Devs - does not look good!

Oh, it's not an acronym, "lurking" on an online forum is a very common term for reading and keeping an eye on things but not posting much yet. My joke about Starcraft 1's expansion was just a play on words from that because there's a Zerg unit called a "lurker" :). But yeah, don't read anything much from it... I'm 100% sure the intent of posting a "/lurk" was to let everyone know that he had seen the thread and would be looking into it, even though he didn't have an answer yet, to help make the wait easier a bit at least =).
    Preyfar wrote: »

Dune!? <3

@Adilya, can you let me know what zone Bthanaul is in offhand? I know it's a dwemer area by the name and if I recall it's in Deshaan or Stros Mkai, so I'll go take a look... going to go see if, when I try to load a poor guinea mule pig character there if I have the same issue =).
    EDIT: Google-fu pays off... found out where it is and will edit back with the result. http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Online:Bthanual
    Edited by Attorneyatlawl on July 1, 2015 2:39AM
    -First-Wave Closed Beta Tester of the Psijic Order, aka the 0.016 percent.
    Exploits suck. Don't blame just the game, blame the players abusing them!

-Playing since July 2013, back when we had a killspam channel in Cyrodiil and the lands of Tamriel were roamed by dinosaurs.
    Yup cant enter Bthanual or Forgotten Crypts in Deshaan, does the same error then logout for both. They ain't super important locals so I don't mind, bugs gonna be bugs.
  • RDMyers65b14_ESO
    RDMyers65b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Dune!? <3

Try Zork. *readies /torch*
  • Romo
    Romo
    ✭✭✭✭

Dune!? <3

Try Zork. *readies /torch*

Yup, knew he was a snot-nosed kid.... :)
  • saikidi
    saikidi
    Soul Shriven
    As far as I can tell, the game now forces you from dx10 to dx11. ("UserSettings" gets updated from "D3D10" to "D3D11" as you enter username/password).

I had the same issue with never getting off the loading screen before I changed over to dx10 in the first place, so getting forced back to dx11 is somewhat unfortunate..
  • Whilhelmina
    Whilhelmina
    ✭✭✭
    Since the last patch, I keep crashing. It happens a lot after incremental patches.
    I'm running a windows XP 32 bits. Memory usage tops at 1700 MB at which point the game runs out of memory and drops me. It is impossible for a single program to go above the 1.5 GB hard limit on windows XP 32 bits (technically 2GB but with extra DLL and stuff called for by the program, it usually can't go far above 1.5 GB). I don't plan on reactivating the 3GB switch which I had to activate some years back for EverQuest2 which also had a memory leak problem (on zoning) which was never addressed.
    So far, ESO always stays around 1 350 000 bytes of memory usage which is fine, except after some patches like the last one.
    Typically, the memory usage climbs to 1.5 when logging in and then continues to climb afterwards even while doing nothing, and it climbs more when one is in an heavily populated area (players seem to eat up more memory than the actual zones and particles). I crashed 5 times in a row in Belkarth yesterday. One of the times, I crashed while browsing a guild merchant after logging in 5 minutes prior in front of said guild merchant.

Meanwhile, I'll go do something else until it's fixed, as I don't have much choice.
    Edited by Whilhelmina on July 1, 2015 1:06PM
  • navra1ub17_ESO
    I have also had a problem with the game crashing approximately every 20 minutes. This started just after the last patch.
  • gard
    gard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    More on stuttering sound, loading screens, and framerate drops -

As previously noted, these generally occur simultaneously. Most often immediately after porting to a wayshrine.
    /reloadui seems to fix it (my framerate goes back up into the 60's where it normally is).

I have also had this happen at dolmens and world bosses. Insta-gib!
    I don't get a chance to /reloadui because I'm dead =P

My ESO addons:
    Goto - Adds a tab to the map pane allowing you to teleport to a friend, guildmate, or groupmate for free.
  • Adilya
    Adilya
    ✭✭✭
    Today I was able to go inside Bthanual. The maintenance have fixed this bug. Thanks.
  • Moonshadow66
    Moonshadow66
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just see this thread is still going (I just posted another one about the crashes).
    Interesting to see that ALL a mod/dev has to say is "/lurk" and disappears right after!!!!

The issue is not fixed at all, I'm still crashing every 5 minutes, no matter what I'm doing! I cannot do a damn writ or three without logging back in 3 times, per character!
    This game is completely unplayable for the 3rd day in a row now!

So where's the actual FIX? Maintaining for the "leap second" hasn't improved the situation at all, and I'm tired now of logging in - crashing - logging in - crashing - logging in - crashing - ..

Also the framerate couldn't be any worse, this started with patch 11 already. I am/was running mostly under 10 (TEN), when I'm lucky I get 15!!! I never had the best performance, but this AND the crashes are a reason to finally leave and never come back! There are hundreds if not thousands of other games which actually WORK!
    Edited by Moonshadow66 on July 1, 2015 4:33PM
    Venus Ocean - Breton Sorceress VR16, EP, Tamriel Hero | Gixia - Breton Sorceress VR16, EP, Tamriel Hero
    Frances Demnevanni - Breton Dragonknight VR16, EP, Tamriel Hero | Raygee - Breton Nightblade VR16, EP, Tamriel Hero
    Lady Olivieri - Breton Nightblade VR16, EP, Tamriel Hero | Donna Demnevanni - Breton Templar VR16, DC, Tamriel Hero
    Elaine Benes - Breton Templar VR16, EP | Ray McCluck - Breton Sorcerer VR16, EP
    Moonshadow Demnevanni - Dunmer Dragonknight Lvl 50, EP | Jamie Stacey - Redguard Templar Lvl 50, EP
    Caia Cosades - Imperial Nightblade, EP

• Silverforte
    Silverforte
    ✭✭
    Seems like the patch broke more *** than it fixed. I just got kicked out of a group after being stuck at an infinite load screen.
  • ZOS_MollyH
    Greetings folks!

Some of the issues may have resolved with the maintenance early this morning. If you're still experiencing performance issues like crashing, can you please post your ticket numbers so we can take a look? If you have not yet submitted a ticket or your system specs, please be sure to do so at https://help.elderscrollsonline.com

Thanks!
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
  • Moonshadow66
    Moonshadow66
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ZOS_MollyH wrote: »
    Greetings folks!

Some of the issues may have resolved with the maintenance early this morning. If you're still experiencing performance issues like crashing, can you please post your ticket numbers so we can take a look? If you have not yet submitted a ticket or your system specs, please be sure to do so at https://help.elderscrollsonline.com

Thanks!

No offense, but you're kidding, aren't you? As you can see here in the PC Technical Forums (also a few threads in the General Discussions), there are a lot of people having the exact same issue. Besides, sending a ticket doesn't help anything at all, the support nowadays (this means, after console release) doesn't "support" us any longer and sends us to the forums, where we ARE right now, aren't we? So now we're basically just going in circles here for nothing at all.
    Venus Ocean - Breton Sorceress VR16, EP, Tamriel Hero | Gixia - Breton Sorceress VR16, EP, Tamriel Hero
    Frances Demnevanni - Breton Dragonknight VR16, EP, Tamriel Hero | Raygee - Breton Nightblade VR16, EP, Tamriel Hero
    Lady Olivieri - Breton Nightblade VR16, EP, Tamriel Hero | Donna Demnevanni - Breton Templar VR16, DC, Tamriel Hero
    Moonshadow Demnevanni - Dunmer Dragonknight Lvl 50, EP | Jamie Stacey - Redguard Templar Lvl 50, EP

• milesrodneymcneely2_ESO
    milesrodneymcneely2_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm getting some wierd audio delay, along with frequent server kicks.

My connection sits at a very stable 35-40 ms, with upload speeds of around 10 MB/s and download speeds of 50+ MB/s.

This has ONLY been an issue since the patch a few days ago, and the most recent maintenance hasn't seemed to fix it.

Should we be installing DX11?
  • buzonnewsb16_ESO
    ZOS_MollyH wrote: »
    Greetings folks!

Thanks!

The folks were playing fine on TESO. The folks were happy with TESO. The folks miss TESO a lot. The folks had been suffering continuous crashes since the launch of ESOTU. The folks are tired to send crash reports and no get a response or a fix. The folks are getting angry by moments. The folks are thinking why to pay for the premium if they are unable to play more than a minute.

A folk.
  • gard
    gard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    gard wrote: »
    More on stuttering sound, loading screens, and framerate drops -

As previously noted, these generally occur simultaneously. Most often immediately after porting to a wayshrine.
    /reloadui seems to fix it (my framerate goes back up into the 60's where it normally is).

I have also had this happen at dolmens and world bosses. Insta-gib!
    I don't get a chance to /reloadui because I'm dead =P

Last night (post leap second maintenance) I experienced the stuttering sound (or in some cases, total lack of sound) and framerate drops on several occasions. It doesn't just occur on teleporting to a wayshrine, but on pretty much any transition involving a loading screen. It goes something like this:

Transition to new zone
    Sound is jacked up
    Framerate ~10 fps
    /reloadui
    framerate ~70 fps and all is well.

Leap second maintenance won't have any effect on this issue. I'm sure your server devs will tell you that.

Next time it happens I will try to remember to check memory usage and disk IO.
    I ran the diagnostic tool (available from the launcher). It doesn't recognize my nvidia card (which is the one ESO uses). Worthless.

My ESO addons:
  • ZOS_MollyH
    To better assist you, we will need to have some more information regarding your system specs. If you would like an agent to directly assist you in troubleshooting to directly address crashing issues, a ticket will need to be submitted to our CS team.

If you are sure to include your Game Consultant report along with an msinfo report, it will contain the diagnostic information necessary to pinpoint the issue that is causing your game to crash.Sometimes if your system contains an onboard video chip as well as a dedicated video card, the dedicated card will show up in the devices and drivers section. Our agents know where to find this information and can pull the correct info from your GC report.

Please be sure to describe when the crashing occurs, whether you are playing with addons or without, and any troubleshooting steps you have performed already.

If you receive a reply that doesn't address or answer your question, all you have to do is reply to the email and it will remain open for an agent to assist you directly.

We understand the frustration when your game crashes and it seems like there's no resolution, but in order to help we need to ask these questions and work with you with the answers.

Crash reports generated that automatically send are processed by another team, and our agents do not have access to these reports. We will need to have a ticket number and those diagnostic tests to be able to assist you.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
  • jarlragnar
    jarlragnar
    ✭✭✭
    This is not frustration we a re talking about, its about a multi-million dollar company that can't fix the issues that the people are complaining about. You have advertised to the world that you have set certain system requirements for the game which we all have meet to play ESO, but then you give us an audio patch? that now we are being told by your tech support team that our system does not meet the system requirements. This is just a poor public relations on your end not ours.
    In the beginning of ESO you told us that this game was solo-able and it was till you came out with Craglorn, now we are forced to group up to do dungeons or to do just quests, so that was a lie, also where is the new DLC? i ave been doing nothing trials, vdsa, and the rest of the endgame content but no new DLC, that is another lie.
  • Whilhelmina
    Whilhelmina
    ✭✭✭
    Hello,
    I'm one of those Folks who wonders why she's paying for premium.
    I posted above explaining my problem. There wasn't any change in the game memory-wise since then, so I obviously still have the same problem and nothing changed.

When I reach the character selection, memory usage is of 1 100 000 Ko.
    When I hit play and try to log into the game, I reach between 1 550 000 Ko and 1 650 000 Ko of memory usage.
    When I move around, memory usage continues to climb and in 5 minutes max (and usually more like 2), I reach a memory usage of 1 720 000 Ko which is the point a 32 bits windows XP cannot cross.
    And so I crash.
    I launch back the game, look at my memory usage climbing again, re-crash and so on.

Memory usage is the first thing I check when I start experiencing crash loops in a game as it is a well known problem.

Details about the hard cap memory usage problem (and why it's less than 2 GB) are described very well in this post on a programmer board:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/5684846/c-application-crashes-once-it-memory-usage-reaches-1-5-gb
    This is perfectly normal under 32bit Windows.

Unless you have the /3gb switch activated, you have a total address space of 2GB. However, that's minus the mapped executable and at least half a dozen DLL and NLS files (for "hello world" -- a real application would probably have more like a dozen or two dozen of them).

Since they are not optimally placed, you lose about half a gigabyte of addres space. The heap will not grow "into" that region, and thus allocating more than 1.5GB will fail.

Here is what the address space of a "typical program" looks like:
    7f70B.png

Note how very skillfully one DLL is placed at about 1/3 of the address space, effectively "cutting off" a third of the memory that you can use.

I can do whatever you want, but no amount of customer support and crash reports sending will fix my problem until you fix your memory usage problem.

Another Angry Folk.
  • VonL
    VonL
    No guys you know nothing like Jon!
    The fault is not on ZOS! The fault is your computers like they said to me! Because all that time, we play this game with other pcs and after 2.0.12 patch, we all bought a bad one to start complaining! Yes i know your kind bad boys! Degrade your pc to spamm on a great company!

:)

Since i can't fight monster and enemies in game anymore, i have to do some slashes and spells to this forum!

• Moonshadow66
    Moonshadow66
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No guys you know nothing like Jon!
    The fault is not on ZOS! The fault is your computers like they said to me! Because all that time, we play this game with other pcs and after 2.0.12 patch, we all bought a bad one to start complaining! Yes i know your kind bad boys! Degrade your pc to spamm on a great company!

:)

Since i can't fight monster and enemies in game anymore, i have to do some slashes and spells to this forum!

Yeah, especially for patch 2.0.12, I ransacked the cellar just to find the oldest PC I had stored away somewhere in the last century. Apparently I found it, the performance couldn't be any worse and the crashes continue, just how I like it. This is how a 2014/2015-game should run. I'd recommend this to every other player out there, go search for the oldest PC you have, if possible one that has still Windows95 installed, only to justify the devs' and mods' assertion that the issue is not the game but on our side.

• Peanut1944
    Having only just purchased this game and created my account on the 1st July, I was not impressed by the crashes I had during the tutorial, however, once out of the tutorial and entering the full game I have been unable to play at all. When I load my character I actually manage to stay in game for 30 seconds at the most. Having waiting 5 months for my birthday to arrive to receive this game as a present I am very disappointed to not be able to actually play it.

I posted a ticket to support on the 2nd July when I finally completed the tutorial but have heard nothing since then. It has taken me 2 days to get my username to actually be able to post on here, so if this is just the start, after months of anticipating and looking forward to playing this game, I can't say I have had the best introduction.

From what I can gather this has all happened since a patch was done on the 30 June/1st July. May I suggest that you roll back to pre-patch or at least remove it till you find out what the problem is so that players can actually play the game they have purchased!