The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

So why is this still excusable?

Radxen
Radxen
Soul Shriven
I know the first few days I was seeing people get all defensive about the launch and how all mmos have bad first days/whatever so I decided I would come back in a week and see if I can play. One week later I get on and it's even worse, before I could get to my created character page no problem, but now I sit in a long queue to get even there and then after selecting the character I wait several minutes to get a 'cannot connect to server' error. I have looked everywhere and it feels like some people are able to play just fine while some of us are stuck with all different kinds of errors. Not to mention the total lack of any official estimated time, I mean I would be pissed if they said not for another month, but at least I would know I don't have to bother trying to log in 10 times and I can check back in a month.
I've only ever tried one other mmo so maybe someone can tell me if this is normal that you can't play a game or get any real answers in the first week because it really feels like they don't plan to fix anything and just keep telling us they are looking into it.
With no subs on the game they already got their money so I can totally see them just giving us the finger if we can't play :/

Best Answers

• OzJohnD
    OzJohnD
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes this is normal for start up time as literally millions of people worldwide want to get online at the same time. No doubt they are working furiously in the background to try to enhance server capacity.
    Everyone knows the phenomenon of trying to hold your breath underwater - how at first it's alright and you can handle it, and then as it gets closer and closer to the time when you must breathe, how urgent the need becomes, the lust and the hunger to breathe. And then the panic sets in when you begin to think that you won't be able to breathe - and finally, when you take in air and the anxiety subsides...that's what it's like to be a vampire and need blood.

Francis Ford Coppola - BS Dracula: The Film and the Legend

Answer ✓
  • Hlaadriel
    Hlaadriel
    ✭✭✭
    There is no excuse for a syntax error in an in-game script file. Logic errors happen, but syntax errors? That's beyond inept, it's negligent. Really. Running a syntax check on script files before they are flagged for release should be a no-brainer.

(Edit: typo)

If you use banking service, the probablity that there is at least 1 syntax error int the code that manages your account is about 1.
    If you use a credit card about the same. I know, I work for those. 90% of our daily activity is to fix syntax issues (ok in COBOL mostly) rather than logic issues...
    Running syntax check on script is ok if you have simple scripts... complex scripts calling each other with language variables and on the fly variables as it seems to be the case will pass the test but still be wrong. that's true fro every script language i know actually.

and script issues are usually less important than HUGE server issue, like deadlocks on their pvp server when everyone uses meteors
    Answer ✓
  • Radxen
    Radxen
    Soul Shriven
    Alright, guess I'll check back in week or so again :/

Thanks OzJohnD
  • Karlybop
    Karlybop
    No, this is not normal. OzJohnD is clearly an avid Elder Scrolls fan and will defend them no matter how biased it may be.

Radxen, you have every right to be disappointed with the ESO Launch week, it has been an absolute disaster. I paid €100 in total for Imperial Edition and ESO PLUS and I have received neither. But the money was still taken out of my bank account. It is by far the worst launch week I've ever experienced for an MMO. Their customer care is shameful, if you have a query they reply to it with a copy and paste answer and consider the matter resolved.

I genuinely expect some form of compensation for the ESO PLUS situation. I bought it a week ago and I still haven't received it but as I said, they took my money in half a second.
  • Radxen
    Radxen
    Soul Shriven
    I'm thinking the same Karlybop, I haven't been able to get in but I have seen screenshots on the forums of people getting basic failed programming bugs that should not be in any 70 dollar+ game. I'm actually wondering if they even have competent engineers working for them or if they just hired a bunch of programming hobbyists who never completed a project in their life.

All I can say is that if any of my university projects looked like this after I worked a year on them I would get a big fat 0 for that subject.
  • Sharee
    Sharee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Radxen wrote: »
    All I can say is that if any of my university projects looked like this after I worked a year on them I would get a big fat 0 for that subject.

How many millions of people tried to connect to your university project all at once?
  • Radxen
    Radxen
    Soul Shriven
    Sharee I'm not referring to server issues there, I'm referring to random error messages that pop up on quests and whatnot. like this one: http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/178784/ui-error-interface-on-log-in#latest

Not being able to properly check for bugs in lua or whatever language you are using is a rookie mistake, and that coming from a AAA game company. My projects by comparison should be mediocre since no one has ever paid more than 50 bucks for them.

That aside the server issues are frustrating but I can be more sympathetic to those kind of issues.
  • Lynnessa
    Lynnessa
    ✭✭✭✭
    Radxen wrote: »
    coming from a AAA game company

Not to derail the thread away from bitching, but I wonder if there is such a thing as an AA company, or an A game company, or a B game company, etc. Never heard of 'em.
    Edited by Lynnessa on June 15, 2015 2:00PM
  • Radxen
    Radxen
    Soul Shriven
    @Lynnessa https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/AAA_(video_game_industry)
    sorry if you misunderstood I said AAA game company not AAA company, I was referring to a company that produces AAA games.
  • Lynnessa
    Lynnessa
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ahhh, so it basically means they cost the most to make. I get it now, and why the expectation is to have no defects. No wonder people get upset.
  • Radxen
    Radxen
    Soul Shriven
    Some level of defects are to be expected, physics ain't easy, but this game is literally unplayable. Play time for some is still at 0:00:00 after a week, that would probably be why people are upset.
  • CuteLilBunny
    CuteLilBunny
    ✭✭
    I'm just gonna wait patiently.
    Shouriko Dark Elf Ebonheart Pact

When the housecat gives away your position.
  • Dexder
    Dexder
    The Game is playable, even tho they have way more people loggin in than expected.

[Moderator Note: Edited per our rules on Rude and Insulting comments]
    Edited by ZOS_Racheal on June 15, 2015 11:08PM
    "Video Games don't affect Kids. If Pacman had affected us as Kids, we'd all be runnin' around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music."
  • stefan.gustavsonb16_ESO
    stefan.gustavsonb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is no excuse for a syntax error in an in-game script file. Logic errors happen, but syntax errors? That's beyond inept, it's negligent. Really. Running a syntax check on script files before they are flagged for release should be a no-brainer.

(Edit: typo)
    Edited by stefan.gustavsonb16_ESO on June 15, 2015 5:52PM
  • Radxen
    Radxen
    Soul Shriven
    @christoph.baiereb17_ESO wow, a little salty bruh? I have no idea what your post has to do with anything I even asked :/

Do you want a hug? :(
  • Kexlar
    Kexlar
    They need more than 1 Mega Server which Obviously is not able to cope.
    Spend your money instead and keep your players happy.
    Happy players = more people buying the game from reports that it is a good company.
  • OzJohnD
    OzJohnD
    ✭✭✭✭
    Karlybop wrote: »
    No, this is not normal. OzJohnD is clearly an avid Elder Scrolls fan and will defend them no matter how biased it may be.

personal attacks serve no place in these forums no matter how upset you may be

not an avid fan just stating things as I see them ... this occurred with two other major MMOs I have experienced that were PC only, beta testing only finds so much ... the real test is when millions try to access a service at the same time

cant see any point bitching amongst ourselves, clearly ESO / Zen have work to do but it serves no purpose directing our angst against each other

Everyone knows the phenomenon of trying to hold your breath underwater - how at first it's alright and you can handle it, and then as it gets closer and closer to the time when you must breathe, how urgent the need becomes, the lust and the hunger to breathe. And then the panic sets in when you begin to think that you won't be able to breathe - and finally, when you take in air and the anxiety subsides...that's what it's like to be a vampire and need blood.

• CuteLilBunny
    CuteLilBunny
    ✭✭
    I actually played with not much lag today it was awesome

• scoreupski
    I just don't understand how my friends that are a mere 50 miles away from me connect just fine since day 1 and I freeze and get kicked within 10 minutes.
  • CuteLilBunny
    CuteLilBunny
    ✭✭
    scoreupski wrote: »
    I just don't understand how my friends that are a mere 50 miles away from me connect just fine since day 1 and I freeze and get kicked within 10 minutes.

Dont get me wrong I got kicked but I played for an hour before that happened

• ZOS_Racheal
    ZOS_Racheal
    ✭✭✭
    Greetings Everyone,

We understand that people are going to disagree from time to time, but please remember to keep your comments respectful at all times on our forums, even when you disagree with others. Insults or other disruptive behavior do not help further discussion and can move a thread off topic quickly. We encourage sharing opinions, but we ask that they are constructively stated when doing so, as this will help keep the discussion on track. Thank you!
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited Moderation Team - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | Tumblr | Pinterest | YouTube | ESO Knowledge Base
    Staff Post
  • scoreupski
    Well thanks for that response. Can you respond to the server issues that prevent us from playing?
  • CuteLilBunny
    CuteLilBunny
    ✭✭
    Maybe one day Billy, in the far off future, then we can look back at this and laugh.

*does old person raspy laugh*

• dmrubenachcub18_ESO
    dmrubenachcub18_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    An absolutely shameful response by the mod above.

This is beyond a joke.
  • OzJohnD
    OzJohnD
    ✭✭✭✭
    Actually "ruben" the forum Mod is simply reminding us about common courtesy ... the fact there are currently serious problems with the playability of PS4 ESO is no excuse for rudeness amongst the forum posters.

• CommanderROR
    True, but the fact that no Mod or Dev ever replies to any of the issues posted here is not helping the mood on the forums either... ;)
  • Sharee
    Sharee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    True, but the fact that no Mod or Dev ever replies to any of the issues posted here is not helping the mood on the forums either... ;)

You might want to check the dev tracker, button in the upper left corner of the screen.
  • Ulaidian
    Ulaidian
    ✭✭
    Actually, compared to the last WoW launch, this has been swimmingly good :smiley:
    After that complete debacle, I left for the final time, and waited for this to come out on console. It is a pain in the arse having to wait through the teething problems, but it will work itself out.
  • Sithisvoid
    Sithisvoid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They have been fixing issues very fast not sure what you are seeing that I'm not. They respond and acknowledge the issues, push a patch out and fix them. I'm sure there are issues i'm not seeing because i'm new but they have been responding very well to launch issues IMO.
  • GodlessMimicry
    Sithisvoid wrote: »
    They have been fixing issues very fast not sure what you are seeing that I'm not. They respond and acknowledge the issues, push a patch out and fix them. I'm sure there are issues i'm not seeing because i'm new but they have been responding very well to launch issues IMO.

Complete strawman. There hasn't been a single patch since day one.