The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

PC Lags after Alt-Tab from ESO

Dizzmalb14_ESO
I am having an odd issue that, for the time being, only affects my computer when playing ESO.

I'll start with my specs:
I7-3770K @ 4.8Ghz
Asus Maximus V Extreme
EVGA GTX 780 Classifieds in SLI
16Gb G.Skill Ripjaw X 2133Mhz Cl9
2 250Gb Samsung 840 Evo in Raid 0
EVGA Super Nova 1000W P2
Resolution is 5760x1080p

The game runs just fine hitting 100 fps in many situations while never dropping lower than around 45 fps in large scale pvp.
My problem is that if I want to alt+Tab out of the game for a few minutes to look up some information or w/e, I get some pretty hard core stuttering. This doesn't happen on any other game that I play. Temps are good. RAM usage remains under 40% and total CPU usage is around 20%. I know ESO only uses 1~2 Cores and those remain high usage, but that shouldn't affect the rest of my system.

I have unparked the cores.
I have tried only using 1 monitor.
Drivers are up to date.
I have tried returning all overclocks to stock.

Anyone else have this problem?
  • Smaxx
    Smaxx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Does your game stutter while it's in background or does ist continue stuttering after switching back into the game?
  • Dekkameron
    Dekkameron
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sometimes after alt-tabbing out of fullscreen i get a message like "Change colour scheme to windows basic blahblah to stop slow down" or something.

I always click "Don't! and don't ask me again!"

Doesn't happen in windowed fullscreen mode though.
    - Veteran Combat Librarian -
  • stefan.gustavsonb16_ESO
    stefan.gustavsonb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ESO is a resource hog, and it doesn't appear as if it was programmed to step back properly when you alt-tab out of the game. Combined with the fact that Windows does not multitask well in the first place, alt-tabbing out of the game makes my PC quite useless for doing anything else while ESO is running.
  • Roechacca
    Roechacca
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    ESO is a resource hog, and it doesn't appear as if it was programmed to step back properly when you alt-tab out of the game. Combined with the fact that Windows does not multitask well in the first place, alt-tabbing out of the game makes my PC quite useless for doing anything else while ESO is running.

This ^ . Optimizing performance issues . Limit start up programs running in the background . If you don't know there are many optimizing programs out there . Your PC stats should allow for more availability .
  • Dizzmalb14_ESO
    I really need to set these where they notify me when there are responses. lol

As far as available resources, I still don't get over 7Gb ram usage. The CPU is less than 30% total usage. The video cards don't do anything and are still staying around 100% utilization. The only thing I can figure is that ESO doesn't release any GPU power for the rest of the system. Just odd because it only happens on ESO.
  • Airavis
    Airavis
    I am having the same problem. My PC lags terrible when I Alt tab out of ESO. Its the only game that has this problem. Im not going to list all of my computer stats but I will say every part is top of the line. My saphire video card cost me $800. The game istelf runs vary smooth with no lag even in huge pvp fights.
  • NoMoreChillies
    NoMoreChillies
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Alt +Tab ESO is terrible. Only game I Alt +Tab out of and have my PC not respond. This needs fixing.

Insulting people on the internet is cowardly.
  • lhz
    lhz
    Soul Shriven
    Bump.

Please allow some form of pausing the PC-version of the game so that no rendering or other resource hogging activities takes place while the game is in the background.
    Edited by lhz on December 9, 2015 6:25PM
  • Commandment
    Commandment
    ✭✭✭
    I am having an odd issue that, for the time being, only affects my computer when playing ESO.

I'll start with my specs:
    I7-3770K @ 4.8Ghz
    Asus Maximus V Extreme
    EVGA GTX 780 Classifieds in SLI
    16Gb G.Skill Ripjaw X 2133Mhz Cl9
    2 250Gb Samsung 840 Evo in Raid 0
    EVGA Super Nova 1000W P2
    Resolution is 5760x1080p

The game runs just fine hitting 100 fps in many situations while never dropping lower than around 45 fps in large scale pvp.
    My problem is that if I want to alt+Tab out of the game for a few minutes to look up some information or w/e, I get some pretty hard core stuttering. This doesn't happen on any other game that I play. Temps are good. RAM usage remains under 40% and total CPU usage is around 20%. I know ESO only uses 1~2 Cores and those remain high usage, but that shouldn't affect the rest of my system.

I have unparked the cores.
    I have tried only using 1 monitor.
    Drivers are up to date.
    I have tried returning all overclocks to stock.

Anyone else have this problem?

I have the same problem, and I have an alienware area51m r2. All my other games work perfect, except for ESO. Just turning on ESO makes my system make weird noises.
  • ZOS_Bill
    ZOS_Bill
    admin
    As this discussion is nearly 5 years old with some outdated information, the thread will now be closed. If you are having a performance issue please feel free to start a new discussion in PC Technical Support.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
This discussion has been closed.